FoodBanter.com

-   -   For one who shall remain nameless..... (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/414614-one-who-shall-remain.html)

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 12:48 AM

On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's labeled
> as "previously frozen."
>
> Susan

90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen

the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive

kate

RodS 08-01-2012 01:21 AM

On 8/01/2012 10:48 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
>> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's labeled
>> as "previously frozen."
>>
>> Susan

> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>
> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive
>
> kate

Same here and it's fresh here I'm considering taking out a loan to buy a
leg of lamb sometime this year :-)

You get it cheaper than we do even with the cost of the plane ticket and
tourist visa.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Evelyn 08-01-2012 02:17 AM

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:46:57 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 1/7/2012 11:20 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>> Even if the parents pass their OFA certification for good hips, the
>> pups can still have it. Sadly it is common in ALL breeds over 25
>> lbs.
>>
>> Evelyn

>well, and more that are 'small breeds'
>
>and the small breeds have a "luxating patella" issue with their front
>legs (i think it means their front legs spay outward, sorry, brain dead
>today)
>
>kate

My dog also has an elbow problem. It could be that which you
mentioned. I didn't make note of the name of the problem, but the

Evelyn

Ozgirl 08-01-2012 02:42 AM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
>> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's
>> labeled
>> as "previously frozen."
>>
>> Susan

> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>
> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive
>
> kate

My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10 from
tomorrow, super special! It will cost me $30 to feed my family of 5. My
$20 pork leg fed 8 of us comfortably with some leftover. A leg of lamb
remotely close to that would be around $40 and probably still not feed 8
adequately.

Ozgirl 08-01-2012 02:43 AM

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 8/01/2012 10:48 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
>>> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's
>>> labeled
>>> as "previously frozen."
>>>
>>> Susan

>> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>>
>> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive
>>
>> kate

> Same here and it's fresh here I'm considering taking out a loan to buy
> a leg of lamb sometime this year :-)
>
> You get it cheaper than we do even with the cost of the plane ticket
> and tourist visa.

lol

Nick Cramer 08-01-2012 03:07 AM

Evelyn > wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote:
> >"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >[ . . . . ]
> >Costco does a huge business in fresh Australian lamb, and Sams Club
> >likewise in NZ lamb ...

> I can attest to the excellent quality of Sam's Club lamb!

Thanks, folks. I'll have to check out Costco.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 08-01-2012 03:28 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> > On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
> >> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's
> >> labeled
> >> as "previously frozen."

> > 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
> >
> > the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive

> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10 from
> tomorrow, super special! It will cost me $30 to feed my family of 5. My
> $20 pork leg fed 8 of us comfortably with some leftover. A leg of lamb
> remotely close to that would be around $40 and probably still not feed 8
> adequately.

Jun bought a crown roast of lamb for me a few months back. I don't remember
what it weighed, but it was around $40. I was shocked! But, damn, it was
wonderfully good.

RodS 08-01-2012 03:34 AM

On 8/01/2012 12:42 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 1/7/2012 9:19 AM, Susan wrote:
>>> Costco has unfrozen lamb from Oz... will have to check if it's labeled
>>> as "previously frozen."
>>>
>>> Susan

>> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>>
>> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive
>>
>> kate

> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10 from
> tomorrow, super special!

Remember the good old days when you could buy a whole side of lamb for
that !!!! The joys of getting old :-)

Remember when the leg came with the shank or the butcher used to throw a
few shanks in for nothing to get rid of them, now they treat them like
they are gold plated.

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 03:40 AM

On 1/7/2012 7:17 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:46:57 -0700, Tiger > wrote:
>
>> On 1/7/2012 11:20 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>>> Even if the parents pass their OFA certification for good hips, the
>>> pups can still have it. Sadly it is common in ALL breeds over 25
>>> lbs.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> well, and more that are 'small breeds'
>>
>> and the small breeds have a "luxating patella" issue with their front
>> legs (i think it means their front legs spay outward, sorry, brain dead
>> today)
>>
>> kate

> My dog also has an elbow problem. It could be that which you
> mentioned. I didn't make note of the name of the problem, but the
> vet said that is pretty bad too. :-(
>
> Evelyn

that's the one, the front elbow problem
:(

kate

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 03:42 AM

On 1/7/2012 8:28 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>>>
>>> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive

>> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10 from
>> tomorrow, super special! It will cost me $30 to feed my family of 5. My
>> $20 pork leg fed 8 of us comfortably with some leftover. A leg of lamb
>> remotely close to that would be around $40 and probably still not feed 8
>> adequately.

> Jun bought a crown roast of lamb for me a few months back. I don't remember
> what it weighed, but it was around $40. I was shocked! But, damn, it was
> wonderfully good.

deffo a treat food!

i can go out to a restaurant and get 4 lamb chops with the rest of the
meal for LESS than buying 4 lamb chops in the grocery store would cost me!

sigh (read once a year treat)

kate

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 03:47 AM

http://www.pasu.com/restaurant.html

Ozgirl 08-01-2012 03:48 AM

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 8/01/2012 12:42 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> 90% of the lamb says 'previously frozen' or is sold frozen
>>>
>>> the 'fresh' lamb......... oh my $$$$$$$$ is expensive
>>>
>>> kate

>> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10
>> from
>> tomorrow, super special!

> Remember the good old days when you could buy a whole side of lamb for
> that !!!! The joys of getting old :-)
>
> Remember when the leg came with the shank or the butcher used to throw
> a few shanks in for nothing to get rid of them, now they treat them
> like they are gold plated.

Lamb shanks are disgustingly priced these days. I wish we could get
hoggett again ;)

Ozgirl 08-01-2012 03:50 AM

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/7/2012 8:28 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10
>>> from
>>> tomorrow, super special! It will cost me $30 to feed my family of 5.
>>> My
>>> $20 pork leg fed 8 of us comfortably with some leftover. A leg of
>>> lamb
>>> remotely close to that would be around $40 and probably still not
>>> feed 8
>>> adequately.

>> Jun bought a crown roast of lamb for me a few months back. I don't
>> remember
>> what it weighed, but it was around $40. I was shocked! But, damn, it
>> was
>> wonderfully good.
>>

> deffo a treat food!
>
> i can go out to a restaurant and get 4 lamb chops with the rest of the
> meal for LESS than buying 4 lamb chops in the grocery store would cost
> me!
>
> sigh (read once a year treat)

That is weird. I also had lamb cutlets about 6 months or so ago with the
usual veggies etc and it cost only $1 more than any of the other meat
main meals. maybe they absorb the costs to be able to offer a wide
variety.

Nick Cramer 08-01-2012 04:12 AM

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 1/7/2012 8:28 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > [ . . . . ]
> > Jun bought a crown roast of lamb for me a few months back. I don't
> > remember what it weighed, but it was around $40. I was shocked! But,
> > damn, it was wonderfully good.

> deffo a treat food!
>
> i can go out to a restaurant and get 4 lamb chops with the rest of the
> meal for LESS than buying 4 lamb chops in the grocery store would cost
> me!
>
> sigh (read once a year treat)

Yep. I cut off one rib at a time. Nice garlicy sear and rare inside.

Nick Cramer 08-01-2012 04:19 AM

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 1/7/2012 8:42 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> > [ . . . . ]
> > i can go out to a restaurant and get 4 lamb chops with the rest of the
> > meal for LESS than buying 4 lamb chops in the grocery store would cost
> > me!
> >
> > sigh (read once a year treat)
> >
> > kate

> http://www.pasu.com/restaurant.html

Thanks for the URL. Of course, now I officially hate you!

RodS 08-01-2012 06:24 AM

On 8/01/2012 1:48 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "RodS" > wrote in message ...

>>> My local wholesaler is offering crumbed lamb cutlets at 5 for $10 from
>>> tomorrow, super special!

>> Remember the good old days when you could buy a whole side of lamb for
>> that !!!! The joys of getting old :-)
>>
>> Remember when the leg came with the shank or the butcher used to throw
>> a few shanks in for nothing to get rid of them, now they treat them
>> like they are gold plated.

> Lamb shanks are disgustingly priced these days. I wish we could get
> hoggett again ;)

You
ll have to move to the middle east !!! All our lovely mutton and hoggett
gets a free cruise, 3 meals a day millions of them but then they have
to pay the piper :-) Only seen mutton once in the last couple of years.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 07:29 AM

On 1/7/2012 9:19 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
>> On 1/7/2012 8:42 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>>> [ . . . . ]
>>> i can go out to a restaurant and get 4 lamb chops with the rest of the
>>> meal for LESS than buying 4 lamb chops in the grocery store would cost
>>> me!
>>>
>>> sigh (read once a year treat)
>>>
>>> kate

>> http://www.pasu.com/restaurant.html

> Thanks for the URL. Of course, now I officially hate you!

bwha ha ha ha

once a year treat............

kate

Nick Cramer 08-01-2012 09:12 AM

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 1/7/2012 9:19 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Tiger > wrote:

> >> http://www.pasu.com/restaurant.html

> > Thanks for the URL. Of course, now I officially hate you!
> >

> bwha ha ha ha
>
> once a year treat............

I can be up there in May, if I'm not in Thailand, Sicily or Oz. ;-?

Tiger Lily 08-01-2012 07:18 PM

On 1/8/2012 2:12 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:

>>> Thanks for the URL. Of course, now I officially hate you!
>>>

>> bwha ha ha ha
>>
>> once a year treat............

> I can be up there in May, if I'm not in Thailand, Sicily or Oz. ;-?

easy peasy, if you are in Oz, you have a great selection of lamb, and
you are in Greek country in many regions.......... Greek based lamb
dishes are SO amazing! LOL

but, should you be up this way....... :D

kate

Peppermint Patootie 09-01-2012 01:11 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> : Thanks! Muir Glen is pricey but good.
>
> America's Test Kitchen prefers it in canned tomatoes, and you know how
> anal they are abouat such things.

Actually, it's been years since I watched any TV cooking shows, so I
didn't know this.

Thanks for the info!

PP

Julie Bove[_2_] 09-01-2012 03:54 AM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> : Thanks! Muir Glen is pricey but good.
>>
>> America's Test Kitchen prefers it in canned tomatoes, and you know how
>> anal they are abouat such things.

> Actually, it's been years since I watched any TV cooking shows, so I
> didn't know this.
>
> Thanks for the info!

Muir Glen makes some good things but their pasta sauce is not one of them.
It has a really "off" taste that no amount of doctoring will cover. My
health food store had switched to that because it was cheaper. I begged
Jeff to bring back the Amy's because it tastes so much better. Yeah, it's
about $3 more per jar but sooo worth it! I save that stuff for the really
good pasta that is $8 for 4 servings. We actually don't eat that much pasta
any more. We used to have it at least once a week. Now it's more like 1 to
3 times a month. For red sauce I mostly buy what I can get cheaply on sale
and/or with a coupon that isn't overly high in carbs. Some of it had 12g
per serving. I won't buy that.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 09-01-2012 07:04 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> : Thanks! Muir Glen is pricey but good.
> >>
> >> America's Test Kitchen prefers it in canned tomatoes, and you know how
> >> anal they are abouat such things.

> > Actually, it's been years since I watched any TV cooking shows, so I
> > didn't know this.
> >
> > Thanks for the info!

> Muir Glen makes some good things but their pasta sauce is not one of them.
> It has a really "off" taste that no amount of doctoring will cover. My
> health food store had switched to that because it was cheaper. I begged
> Jeff to bring back the Amy's because it tastes so much better. Yeah, it's
> about $3 more per jar but sooo worth it! I save that stuff for the really
> good pasta that is $8 for 4 servings. We actually don't eat that much pasta
> any more. We used to have it at least once a week. Now it's more like 1 to
> 3 times a month. For red sauce I mostly buy what I can get cheaply on sale
> and/or with a coupon that isn't overly high in carbs. Some of it had 12g
> per serving. I won't buy that.

yet you will buy pasta that is higher in carbs.

Bjørn Steensrud 09-01-2012 09:02 AM

Evelyn wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:06:43 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:
>
>>On 1/6/2012 5:39 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>>> am going to take this one day at a time. For the moment, we are
>>> seeing improvement. That is good.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>hope i didn't get heavy on you Evelyn
>>
>>***hugs*** to you and your beautiful GSD
>>
>>take heart at the improvement
>>
>>kate

> Thanks. It is good to see him feeling better. He's been pretty
> miserable, limping around while we waited for the appointment.
>
> Evelyn

There is a movement to reform the breeding of GSDs, toward the
"old style" dogs with straight backs, higher set tails[0] and healthy hips.
I hope they make it. It's vital to influence the dog show judges and the
judging standard, so that traits detrimental to the dog are not rewarded in
the show ring.

A fellow cat breeder asked a breeder of Persian cats why they bred such
monsters (at one point some cats had trouble eating and breathing, they
still have problems with tear ducts) and the answer was "Because the judges
want them that way".

Change the breed standard and beat up on the judges, the rest of the
breeders will follow.

[0] A respected vet appeared on TV in connection with a large dog show and
explained that he often had to operate on GSDs where the base of the tail
interfered with the dog's rectum and caused open sores ...

Evelyn 09-01-2012 11:25 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:04:03 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >, "Julie Bove" >
>wrote:
>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

>> > Actually, it's been years since I watched any TV cooking shows, so I
>> > didn't know this.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the info!

>> Muir Glen makes some good things but their pasta sauce is not one of them.
>> It has a really "off" taste that no amount of doctoring will cover. My
>> health food store had switched to that because it was cheaper. I begged
>> Jeff to bring back the Amy's because it tastes so much better. Yeah, it's
>> about $3 more per jar but sooo worth it! I save that stuff for the really
>> good pasta that is $8 for 4 servings. We actually don't eat that much pasta
>> any more. We used to have it at least once a week. Now it's more like 1 to
>> 3 times a month. For red sauce I mostly buy what I can get cheaply on sale
>> and/or with a coupon that isn't overly high in carbs. Some of it had 12g
>> per serving. I won't buy that.

>yet you will buy pasta that is higher in carbs.

I make my own sauce which allows me to control what goes in my sauce.
Also I buy dreamfields pasta, (which I very rarely eat, but when I do,
it's nice to have something less spiky. (and yes, I do know that some
people get a later spike from dreamfields)

Fortunately I don't eat much of it to begin with, so I have less to
worry about these days..

Evelyn

Peppermint Patootie 09-01-2012 11:02 PM

Evelyn > wrote:

> I just came from the vet. My gorgeous male German Shepherd, only 5
> yrs old, is nearly crippled due to bad hips and elbows. It was
> recommended that I go and see an animal orthopedic specialist an hour
> away from here.
>
> The dog is a wonderful pet, superb temperament, obedient, well
> behaved, trustworthy with people, cats and kids of all ages, not to
> mention that he is absolutely one of the most gorgeous black and red
> shepherds I have ever seen or lived with. He's truly magnificent.
>
> This promises to be a real problem.
>
> They sent us home with anti inflammatories and pain killers. Not a
> good scenario.......

I'm so sorry! He sounds like a wonderful creature.

Do you give him fish oil? It's such a good anti-inflamatory for people.

PP

Evelyn 10-01-2012 12:32 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 18:02:09 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
>> I just came from the vet. My gorgeous male German Shepherd, only 5
>> yrs old, is nearly crippled due to bad hips and elbows. It was
>> recommended that I go and see an animal orthopedic specialist an hour
>> away from here.
>>
>> The dog is a wonderful pet, superb temperament, obedient, well
>> behaved, trustworthy with people, cats and kids of all ages, not to
>> mention that he is absolutely one of the most gorgeous black and red
>> shepherds I have ever seen or lived with. He's truly magnificent.
>>
>> This promises to be a real problem.
>>
>> They sent us home with anti inflammatories and pain killers. Not a
>> good scenario.......

>I'm so sorry! He sounds like a wonderful creature.
>
>Do you give him fish oil? It's such a good anti-inflamatory for people.
>
>PP

Yes. Every day for years.

Evelyn

Tiger Lily 10-01-2012 05:59 AM

On 1/9/2012 4:58 PM, Susan wrote:
> The vet, once again today on the phone, recommended against ultra sound
> or anything else stressful because the treatment she'd recommend would
> be the same no matter what: Prednisone. I'm not completely comfortable
> with it, fearing the worst, but may have to if he flares up again.
>
> Right now he's fine, but I'll have the Prednisone on hand. If it gets
> by him in a cheddar cheese cube, we can use it if he gets bad again. If
> it doesn't... :-(
>
> Susan

:(

keep hope Susan

i had a small dog that was rough housing with a beagle oh, 5 times her size

the beagle put her paw on the small dog to STOP IT for a minute or second

the beagle wasn't being nasty or rough or out of line

unfortunately the small dog ruptured a disc

steroids, pain killers, gravol and special easy to eat foods solved the
problem over time........ along with a lot of 'patterning' to maintain
her mobility

the vet didn't think she would ever walk again

she walked like a drunken sailor on her next visit

he suggested a doggie trailer/wheelchair ?? dunno what to call it

we looked into that and continued the patterning

the next visit, she had some slippage, but was walking close to normally

the vet said he had NEVER seen a recovery like that and if i hadn't
brought her in, he would never have believed it

she regained 'close to normal' walking capabilities, but we were ever
watchful for her over doing things......... or getting too bossy with
the beagle again!

kate

W. Baker 10-01-2012 07:22 PM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

BlueBrooke > wrote:
: On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:05:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: > wrote:

: >There are more ways than one one out of their misery without death.

: Must be another one of those cultural things. That's exactly what
: "putting them out of their misery" means to every vet I've ever been
: to.

I would agree here. I have never, in 75 years hear that expression
meanign anything but putting the animal down killing it, , etc. I have
never heard it to mean relieving its pain or any such thing , butonly
causing its death.

Perhaps in oz it has some other meaning that can be found in soe
dictionaries, but it is not found in use in the US as anyting but
euthanizing, or painless , prompt death.

Wendy

Tiger Lily 10-01-2012 10:33 PM

On 1/10/2012 3:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> You can KF by NG? I can't!

oh, use Thunderbird, you can set filters to different groups

having said that, check the headers on PP's posts to see what viewer she
is using

kate

Ozgirl 11-01-2012 12:09 AM

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:05:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>There are more ways than one one out of their misery without death.

> Must be another one of those cultural things. That's exactly what
> "putting them out of their misery" means to every vet I've ever been
> to.

Doesn't anyone here have a dictionary? Or able to understand context? If
you were "miserable" with the flu what would you like to have to rid
yourself of the misery?

Ozgirl 11-01-2012 12:34 AM

"KROM" > wrote in message
> sorry ozgirl but "put it out of its misery" has always meant to kill
> it here and I've heard it used in UK movies in the euthanize context.
>
> put "what does put it out of its misery mean?" into a Google search
> bar and see the result.
>
> its very easy to take something a person says wrong..so lets be
> careful when taking a idiom wrong in others because we will eventually
> do it ourselves.
>
> KROM

In my country an ass is not a butt. Should I take Americans literally
when they say ass? I accept what Americans use in that context, can it
be possible that Americans can accept different word/phrase usages from
others? Especially when the context was there, i.e. followed by a list
of possible ways to relieve said misery. Instead of a call of Ozgirl
suggests I kill my cat! How about, Ozgirl, are you saying I should kill
my cat? Nope, kangaroo trial instead. Tolerance for differences at its
best, but yet... the phrase means more than just to kill even in
America. Not my problem if people in here haven't experienced it. Not my
problem that people refuse to check it into properly. Google: "define:
put out of misery".

"http://www.writersevents.com/Words_Starting_with_P/put_ones_foot_down_put_something_together/put_someone_or_something_out_of_their_misery_defin ition.html
Idiom: put someone or something out of their misery
To ****relieve them***** from their physical suffering or their mental
anguish.
To kill (an animal that is in great pain)." (American)

"http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/put-sb-out-of-their-misery
to stop someone worrying, usually by giving them information that they
have been waiting for" (British)

"http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/put+someone+out+of+his+or+her+misery
Kill a wounded or suffering animal or person, as in When a horse breaks
a leg, there is nothing to do but put it out of its misery . [Late
1700s]

End someone's feeling of suspense, as in Tell them who won the
tournament; put them out of their misery . [c. 1920] *******Both usages
employ put out of in the sense of "extricate" or "free from."********"
(American)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+out+of+misery
Put (one) out of (one's) misery
1. Euph. Fig. to kill someone as an act of mercy. Why doesn't the doctor
simply put her out of her misery? He took pills to put himself out of
his misery.
2. Fig. to end a suspenseful situation for someone. Please, put me out
of misery; what happened? I put her out of her misery and told her how
the movie ended.
See also: misery, out, put
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of ****************American Idioms*************
and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-01-2012 12:56 AM

Ozgirl wrote:
> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> sorry ozgirl but "put it out of its misery" has always meant to kill
>> it here and I've heard it used in UK movies in the euthanize context.
>>
>> put "what does put it out of its misery mean?" into a Google search
>> bar and see the result.
>>
>> its very easy to take something a person says wrong..so lets be
>> careful when taking a idiom wrong in others because we will
>> eventually do it ourselves.
>>
>> KROM

> In my country an ass is not a butt. Should I take Americans literally
> when they say ass? I accept what Americans use in that context, can it
> be possible that Americans can accept different word/phrase usages
> from others? Especially when the context was there, i.e. followed by
> a list of possible ways to relieve said misery. Instead of a call of
> Ozgirl suggests I kill my cat! How about, Ozgirl, are you saying I
> should kill my cat? Nope, kangaroo trial instead. Tolerance for
> differences at its best, but yet... the phrase means more than just
> to kill even in America. Not my problem if people in here haven't
> experienced it. Not my problem that people refuse to check it into
> properly. Google: "define: put out of misery".
>
> "http://www.writersevents.com/Words_Starting_with_P/put_ones_foot_down_put_something_together/put_someone_or_something_out_of_their_misery_defin ition.html
> Idiom: put someone or something out of their misery
> To ****relieve them***** from their physical suffering or their mental
> anguish.
> To kill (an animal that is in great pain)." (American)
>
> "http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/put-sb-out-of-their-misery
> to stop someone worrying, usually by giving them information that they
> have been waiting for" (British)
>
> "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/put+someone+out+of+his+or+her+misery
> Kill a wounded or suffering animal or person, as in When a horse
> breaks a leg, there is nothing to do but put it out of its misery .
> [Late 1700s]
>
> End someone's feeling of suspense, as in Tell them who won the
> tournament; put them out of their misery . [c. 1920] *******Both
> usages employ put out of in the sense of "extricate" or "free
> from."********" (American)
>
> http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+out+of+misery
> Put (one) out of (one's) misery
> 1. Euph. Fig. to kill someone as an act of mercy. Why doesn't the
> doctor simply put her out of her misery? He took pills to put himself
> out of his misery.
> 2. Fig. to end a suspenseful situation for someone. Please, put me out
> of misery; what happened? I put her out of her misery and told her how
> the movie ended.
> See also: misery, out, put
> McGraw-Hill Dictionary of ****************American Idioms*************
> and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
>
> Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?

I knew what you meant. But then I am sad and pathetic according to the
dogpilers. So most likely what I think means nothing. Right

W. Baker 11-01-2012 01:41 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message
: ...
: > sorry ozgirl but "put it out of its misery" has always meant to kill
: > it here and I've heard it used in UK movies in the euthanize context.
: >
[...]

:

A number of us simultainiously were astounded to hear that there was
another meaning for a phrase we had all only heard s meaning to put down
or wthenize n animal. We all wrote, pretty simlutaniously. When you
described tht to you it didn't mean that some of us , at leasi I, said
that in the US it was not such a meaning tht it had in oz. thant's all.
When you sain put him out of his misery we had had an automatic response.
Once we were told tht it was one of those bum , ass, knock up , kind of
differences between British based and American usages we could begin to
deal with it. Criticising us all and claiming dog iling, etc is rather
an overkill from the Aussies as it was totally new to us USAns that there
was any other meaning.

Please don't let your hostility towards Susan so cloud your view that you
misinterpret all of our reactions. It is simply one of those langage
differences that come up every once in a while.

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-01-2012 02:12 AM

W. Baker wrote:
> [...]

> another meaning for a phrase we had all only heard s meaning to put
> down or wthenize n animal. We all wrote, pretty simlutaniously.
> When you described tht to you it didn't mean that some of us , at
> leasi I, said that in the US it was not such a meaning tht it had in
> oz. thant's all. When you sain put him out of his misery we had had
> an automatic response. Once we were told tht it was one of those bum
> , ass, knock up , kind of differences between British based and
> American usages we could begin to deal with it. Criticising us all
> and claiming dog iling, etc is rather an overkill from the Aussies as
> it was totally new to us USAns that there was any other meaning.
>
> Please don't let your hostility towards Susan so cloud your view that
> you misinterpret all of our reactions. It is simply one of those
> langage differences that come up every once in a while.

Could it be an age thing? Older people think it means that? I will ask my
mom.

Okay, I just did. She said in the context in which it was said, there is no
way she would think that. So not an age thing.

Susan[_6_] 11-01-2012 02:16 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

x-o-archive: yes

Kate, I don't really see what the person is looking for... is he still
on prednisone? Or dealing with the aftermath? Symptoms, post
discontinuation Cushing's or adrenal suppression?

Interesting about the heightened smell. When I had a bad/high steroid
reaction to azithromycin, my eyesight got very bright and almost
overcorrected sharpness.

Susan

Ozgirl 11-01-2012 02:26 AM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> A number of us simultainiously were astounded to hear that there was
> another meaning for a phrase we had all only heard s meaning to put
> down
> or wthenize n animal. We all wrote, pretty simlutaniously. When you
> described tht to you it didn't mean that some of us , at leasi I, said
> that in the US it was not such a meaning tht it had in oz. thant's
> all.
> When you sain put him out of his misery we had had an automatic
> response.
> Once we were told tht it was one of those bum , ass, knock up , kind
> of
> differences between British based and American usages we could begin
> deal with it. Criticising us all and claiming dog iling, etc is
> rather
> an overkill from the Aussies as it was totally new to us USAns that

1. I explained (starting at least a couple of days ago) about there
being another meaning (with suggestions to check dictionaries and
context) yet the posts still kept flowing in about it only having one
meaning.

2. I haven't claimed dog piling at all. I defined (my own
interpretation) of what dog piling means to me in another message. I do
not feel dog piled.

3. This isn't a bum, arse difference at all because every American
dictionary I have been able to see online thus far gives two meanings to
the phrase (*without* saying the second meaning is more commonly a
British phrase) so its more a "I haven't experienced it" moment which
should mean the posts about it should have stopped long before now.

4. I have chosen to criticise anyone who has deliberately chosen to
block that second meaning out of their heads (even after my requests to
check out dictionaries and check context).

5. My aversion to a lot of things about Susan doesn't cloud my judgment.
People choose to ignore or justify her bad behaviour. If one wants to
take that stance then I enter into a debate with them also.

6. This is not simply a language difference (apart from the fact your
dictionaries give two meanings also). If Susan says something derogatory
a number of people jump to her defence claiming language difference or
any other excuse. If I supposedly say something that could be a language
difference issue I am crucified. Name one person in this thread that has
said anything like oh Jan, I understand you meant no harm, we didn't
realise that there was another meaning other than to euthanise an
animal. No posts have had anything remotely sincere, all have said (bar
one) that it means to kill. No acknowledgment of another meaning
therefore no apology.

Ozgirl 11-01-2012 02:43 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

The original

"And how about putting that poor cat out of yours out of its misery.
*****You could try probiotics. ****** ******If you are going
to traumatise him by getting T4 blood tests why not have him sedated and
given a 5 minute ultrasound to see if there is something seriously
wrong? *******Trauma is trauma no matter what. *****Skittish or not, the
cat needs
proper evaluation of his health not you playing around with his diet all
the time.****** You were obviously able to control him to have his blood
test,
you can surely control him to have sedation."

Yeah I can see where you all thought I meant Susan should put her cat
down, NOT!

And weird that no one but PP had a word to say about the fact I wanted
to kill Susan's cat (which was 5 days later). If everyone thought I
wanted her to put the cat down why wait 5 days? Why did no one call me
on being a hard hearted bitch?

Why does Susan (who self admittedly said she killfiled me so she
wouldn't have to see anything I had to say) not only read past the first
word of mine but also comments on what I write? Why does PP KF me in one
group but not another? I am either acceptable or not. Why are 99% of
Susan's insults towards me in this group and not in ASD? Not looking for
answers, just musing.

Ozgirl 11-01-2012 02:45 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:34:31 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?

> As applied to animals? Yes.

And the proof of that statement is where?

Tiger Lily 11-01-2012 02:59 AM

For one who shall remain nameless.....

I see someone who has a problem, may not be able to put words to it and
needs help.

My 'experience' with steroids doesn't go anywhere near what he's going
thru...... low dose for 5 days or the old 10 day step down method......
and every time it was very necessary and very effective with no side
affects (well, other than i had to test frequently and correct with
insulin as needed)

kate

Susan[_6_] 11-01-2012 03:03 AM

On 1/10/2012 9:55 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:

> Dictionary? Sure -- lots of dictionaries. Maybe you should pull
> yours out again, because you don't seem to understand the word
> "context." In the "context" of animals who are critically or
> terminally ill, the phrase means to kill them.
>
> But you already know that.

Yes.

Watching her try to lie her way to a plausible denial is quite an
extraordinary spectacle. Every time she does it.

Susan