Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and easy asparagus snack

Would be good for parties, starters etc.

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Would be good for parties, starters etc.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html

Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
parties, where it was very popular:

Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese without
breaking, but thin enough to roll
Cream cheese, softened
Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in ice
water

Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it and
roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest cutting at
an angle to make it look more attractive.)

The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations are
infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind of
herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but very
good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I meant to add that, if one does not eat pork, I would bet that something
like smoked turkey would be tasty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we do something similar with smoked turkey, peminto cheese and either
blanched asparagus, or carrots, Lee...
"Janet" > wrote in message

> I meant to add that, if one does not eat pork, I would bet that something
> like smoked turkey would be tasty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
> parties, where it was very popular:
>
> Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese without
> breaking, but thin enough to roll
> Cream cheese, softened
> Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in ice
> water
>
> Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it and
> roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest cutting at
> an angle to make it look more attractive.)
>
> The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
> substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations are
> infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind of
> herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but very
> good.

I've made that with dill pepper spears instead of asparagus. Yummy!

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Would be good for parties, starters etc.
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html

> Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
> parties, where it was very popular:
>
> Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese
> without breaking, but thin enough to roll
> Cream cheese, softened
> Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in
> ice water
>
> Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it
> and roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest
> cutting at an angle to make it look more attractive.)
>
> The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
> substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations
> are infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some
> kind of herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was
> simple, but very good.

The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
>> parties, where it was very popular:
>>
>> Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese
>> without
>> breaking, but thin enough to roll
>> Cream cheese, softened
>> Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in
>> ice
>> water
>>
>> Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it
>> and
>> roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest
>> cutting at
>> an angle to make it look more attractive.)
>>
>> The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
>> substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible
>> variations are
>> infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind
>> of
>> herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but
>> very
>> good.

> I've made that with dill pepper spears instead of asparagus. Yummy!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

<snip>

> The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
> canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
> Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
> cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

Can I say EWWWWW! ?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

don't think that tato thing would work for me, maybe cheap balongna and
piminto cheese, lol, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
>> canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
>> Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
>> cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

> Can I say EWWWWW! ?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
>> canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli
>> ham.
>> Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
>> cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

> Can I say EWWWWW! ?

hee hee, you were the hostess with the mostest if you supplied those
little delicacies