Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Salmon cakes

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i can make what i call thick broth, that is add some flour/cornstartch
> : some of the liquid then re add, stirr and let sit after its brought back
> up,
> : thicker than broth, but ntot thick gravy... remember i was brought up on
> : sausage gravy, Lee
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on sausages or
> gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from your
> comments that it is a thick gravy.

You can get turkey sausage or beef. You want the crumbled kind like ground
beef. Cook it then add seasonings like black pepper and cayenne. Then add
enough flour to coat. Cook for a minute. Slowly add milk. Can use soy or
rice milk. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want. Serve over
biscuits or toast.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> very thick, you cook the sausage, like loose hamburger for spaghettie
> sauce, after it is cooked you add flour to brown in/on the grease and
> sausage, then you slowly add the milk stirring to incorperate and thicken,
> add s/p to taste then serve over noodles or bread of choice... usually
> biscusts... also serve over fried potatoes... since you are kosher i can't
> see this ever happening unless you used those spicey boca crumbles... am
> i correct that meat/dairy exclusion also includes chicken and turkey? Lee

I have made it with rice milk and served over mashed potatoes. I don't know
if turkey or beef sausage would be kosher or not..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

then the only way you could try it is to use the boca crumbles and i have a
friend who also adds diced mushrooms to the crumbles... its a comfort food,
and what i call poor food, the gravy with just a bit of meat is filling and
flavorful without a lot of cost, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : very thick, you cook the sausage, like loose hamburger for spaghettie
> sauce,
> : after it is cooked you add flour to brown in/on the grease and sausage,
> then
> : you slowly add the milk stirring to incorperate and thicken, add s/p to
> : taste then serve over noodles or bread of choice... usually biscusts...
> also
> : serve over fried potatoes... since you are kosher i can't see this ever
> : happening unless you used those spicey boca crumbles... am i correct
> that
> : meat/dairy exclusion also includes chicken and turkey? Lee
>
> Yes, you are correct about chichen and turkey being considered meat.
>
> Wendy
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Storrmmee > wrote:
> : > : i can make what i call thick broth, that is add some
> flour/cornstartch
> : > : some of the liquid then re add, stirr and let sit after its brought
> back
> : > up,
> : > : thicker than broth, but ntot thick gravy... remember i was brought
> up on
> : > : sausage gravy, Lee
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on
> sausages or
> : > gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from
> your
> : > comments that it is a thick gravy.
> : >
> : > Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now i never thought about using rice/soy milk, wouldn't taste exactly the
same but either of those milks with beef or chicken would b e nice,. Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>> : i can make what i call thick broth, that is add some flour/cornstartch
>> : some of the liquid then re add, stirr and let sit after its brought
>> back up,
>> : thicker than broth, but ntot thick gravy... remember i was brought up
>> on
>> : sausage gravy, Lee
>> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on sausages
>> or
>> gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from
>> your
>> comments that it is a thick gravy.

> You can get turkey sausage or beef. You want the crumbled kind like
> ground beef. Cook it then add seasonings like black pepper and cayenne.
> Then add enough flour to coat. Cook for a minute. Slowly add milk. Can
> use soy or rice milk. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want.
> Serve over biscuits or toast.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

using the rice milk with something not pork would work, and boca with milk
would also taste good, boca has a very properly spiced patty that if broken
up would show very similar, and i think be kosher, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> very thick, you cook the sausage, like loose hamburger for spaghettie
>> sauce, after it is cooked you add flour to brown in/on the grease and
>> sausage, then you slowly add the milk stirring to incorperate and
>> thicken, add s/p to taste then serve over noodles or bread of choice...
>> usually biscusts... also serve over fried potatoes... since you are
>> kosher i can't see this ever happening unless you used those spicey boca
>> crumbles... am i correct that meat/dairy exclusion also includes chicken
>> and turkey? Lee

> I have made it with rice milk and served over mashed potatoes. I don't
> know if turkey or beef sausage would be kosher or not..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer thinking
> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
the Roomba does?
let us know what you think of it!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>> thinking
>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like the
> Roomba does?
> let us know what you think of it!
>
> kate

I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does take
away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are thickening.
It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in pan and set
speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it does have a
different sound so you can take over from there. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 2:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> it is very hard, starting over is just almost unberable overwhelming, so
> many details, little things like remembering to put place matts and coasters
> on the shopping list to finding someone to remove trees so construction can
> be done properly...
>
> it is moving ever so slowly, being superstitious in nature i am reluctant to
> say much as every time i do something bad happens... but at least things are
> moving...
>
> we have learned what is important and what isn't, we are having a much
> smaller house than originally planned but we won't have nearly so much to
> try and pay for beyond the ins co's payout... that became much more
> important than some things, we also gave up some size for more maintainance
> free... neither of us are as young as we once were and figure this was a
> better use of the money... Lee

I don't envy you the process Lee, but please know best wishes are being
sent your way. It sounds like you have thought this out well, and are
fully aware of what you are getting into.

Is insurance paying for your living accommodations until the house is
ready to move into? (sure hope so!)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 4:49 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>>> thinking
>>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
>> the Roomba does?
>> let us know what you think of it!
>>
>> kate

> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)
>
> Cheri

bwha ha ha

this is EXACTLY what i need Cheri, I know what is going on the x-mas
wish list! ta!

(Amazon? i've never seen or heard of this before)

kate (hates the time until right before thickening.......... how do you
think Mom used to make gravy........ yup, i did all that "stir
constantly" LOL)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes it works on its own, when dh tried it here at the hotel we discovered
the burners weren't level so it stayed to one side of the pot, i think on a
level surface it will do quite nicely, my friend likes hers a lot, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>> thinking
>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like the
> Roomba does?
> let us know what you think of it!
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think its an as seen on tv but am not sure as it was a gift, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 4:49 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
>>> the Roomba does?
>>> let us know what you think of it!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
>> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
>> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
>> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
>> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> bwha ha ha
>
> this is EXACTLY what i need Cheri, I know what is going on the x-mas wish
> list! ta!
>
> (Amazon? i've never seen or heard of this before)
>
> kate (hates the time until right before thickening.......... how do you
> think Mom used to make gravy........ yup, i did all that "stir constantly"
> LOL)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they have covered part of it, but we have reached the limit, but we have no
choice but to stick where we are because of the cats, you simply can't rent
with this many animals, and anywhere that would take us requires declaw,
can't go there... i would be homeless first, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 2:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> it is very hard, starting over is just almost unberable overwhelming, so
>> many details, little things like remembering to put place matts and
>> coasters
>> on the shopping list to finding someone to remove trees so construction
>> can
>> be done properly...
>>
>> it is moving ever so slowly, being superstitious in nature i am reluctant
>> say much as every time i do something bad happens... but at least things
>> are
>> moving...
>>
>> we have learned what is important and what isn't, we are having a much
>> smaller house than originally planned but we won't have nearly so much to
>> try and pay for beyond the ins co's payout... that became much more
>> important than some things, we also gave up some size for more
>> maintainance
>> free... neither of us are as young as we once were and figure this was a
>> better use of the money... Lee

> I don't envy you the process Lee, but please know best wishes are being
> sent your way. It sounds like you have thought this out well, and are
> fully aware of what you are getting into.
>
> Is insurance paying for your living accommodations until the house is
> ready to move into? (sure hope so!)
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> then the only way you could try it is to use the boca crumbles and i have
> a friend who also adds diced mushrooms to the crumbles... its a comfort
> food, and what i call poor food, the gravy with just a bit of meat is
> filling and flavorful without a lot of cost, Lee

I had not even thought about it until recently when I began craving it.
Since the biscuits are so high in carbs I thought I would never eat it
again. I did buy some frozen stuff and it was good but too carby. But then
the stores around here quit carrying it.

So what I do now is get those canned refrigerated biscuits. The tiny ones.
Bake, portion out and put in the freezer. Yes I know biscuits are easy to
make from scratch but due to cross contamination issues I won't bring wheat
flour into the house. Doing it this way keeps Angela safe. And it allows
me a taste of what I am craving without consuming a ton of carbs. I found
some mix at the bread store. All you have to do is add milk. I make that
up, portion it out and freeze it as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> now i never thought about using rice/soy milk, wouldn't taste exactly the
> same but either of those milks with beef or chicken would b e nice,. Lee

I have made the sausage gravy with plain rice milk and it was very good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> tbh its easier just to get the dh to do that part... if i were single i
> would just not eat it,... have i mentioned i am a mechanical killer> dh
> had a stick blender, for like ten years... when i finally worked up my
> nerve to ask him to show me how to use it for hot cocoa... i broke it
> first time out while he was standing there watching me... i did exactly as
> he instructed, things like that don't love me, Lee

I think I am on my 3rd or 4th stick blender. They don't seem to last very
long here and I don't use them often either! One problem I have is that all
of the ones I have bought say not to use in hot liquids. And yet that is
usually what I use them for. I think it burns the motor out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
: ...
: > very thick, you cook the sausage, like loose hamburger for spaghettie
: > sauce, after it is cooked you add flour to brown in/on the grease and
: > sausage, then you slowly add the milk stirring to incorperate and thicken,
: > add s/p to taste then serve over noodles or bread of choice... usually
: > biscusts... also serve over fried potatoes... since you are kosher i can't
: > see this ever happening unless you used those spicey boca crumbles... am
: > i correct that meat/dairy exclusion also includes chicken and turkey? Lee

: I have made it with rice milk and served over mashed potatoes. I don't know
: if turkey or beef sausage would be kosher or not..

It can be if made from kosher chicken of beef, but I wuld have to use
either soy or rice milk becaause of not mixing the milk and meat. By time
you get too many substitutions is can get pretty far from the original, so
you wonder wht all the fuss was about.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: using the rice milk with something not pork would work, and boca with milk
: would also taste good, boca has a very properly spiced patty that if broken
: up would show very similar, and i think be kosher, Lee

Yes, one of the vegetarian sausages would be find. I know that
mMorningsar Farms is kosher, not sure about Booca, I would have to check.

wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that makes lots of sense, i also think if you could get a good tasting
noodle that was low carb and just butter them you might be able to do it
that way, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> then the only way you could try it is to use the boca crumbles and i have
>> a friend who also adds diced mushrooms to the crumbles... its a comfort
>> food, and what i call poor food, the gravy with just a bit of meat is
>> filling and flavorful without a lot of cost, Lee

> I had not even thought about it until recently when I began craving it.
> Since the biscuits are so high in carbs I thought I would never eat it
> again. I did buy some frozen stuff and it was good but too carby. But
> then the stores around here quit carrying it.
>
> So what I do now is get those canned refrigerated biscuits. The tiny
> ones. Bake, portion out and put in the freezer. Yes I know biscuits are
> easy to make from scratch but due to cross contamination issues I won't
> bring wheat flour into the house. Doing it this way keeps Angela safe.
> And it allows me a taste of what I am craving without consuming a ton of
> carbs. I found some mix at the bread store. All you have to do is add
> milk. I make that up, portion it out and freeze it as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on sausages or
: > gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from your
: > comments that it is a thick gravy.

: You can get turkey sausage or beef. You want the crumbled kind like ground
: beef. Cook it then add seasonings like black pepper and cayenne. Then add
: enough flour to coat. Cook for a minute. Slowly add milk. Can use soy or
: rice milk. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want. Serve over
: biscuits or toast.

Sounds pretty carby by time you do all that. I suppose I could use my
low carb bread.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this one was fine until i touched it, the kiss of death for anything
mechanical, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> tbh its easier just to get the dh to do that part... if i were single i
>> would just not eat it,... have i mentioned i am a mechanical killer> dh
>> had a stick blender, for like ten years... when i finally worked up my
>> nerve to ask him to show me how to use it for hot cocoa... i broke it
>> first time out while he was standing there watching me... i did exactly
>> as he instructed, things like that don't love me, Lee

> I think I am on my 3rd or 4th stick blender. They don't seem to last very
> long here and I don't use them often either! One problem I have is that
> all of the ones I have bought say not to use in hot liquids. And yet that
> is usually what I use them for. I think it burns the motor out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have eaten it with the boca and regular milk thats pretty good, and i
think julie is right if you used a turkey sasuage spiced like breakfast
sausage and the rice milk it would also be close, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > very thick, you cook the sausage, like loose hamburger for spaghettie
> : > sauce, after it is cooked you add flour to brown in/on the grease and
> : > sausage, then you slowly add the milk stirring to incorperate and
> thicken,
> : > add s/p to taste then serve over noodles or bread of choice... usually
> : > biscusts... also serve over fried potatoes... since you are kosher i
> can't
> : > see this ever happening unless you used those spicey boca crumbles...
> am
> : > i correct that meat/dairy exclusion also includes chicken and turkey?
> Lee
>
> : I have made it with rice milk and served over mashed potatoes. I don't
> know
> : if turkey or beef sausage would be kosher or not..
>
> It can be if made from kosher chicken of beef, but I wuld have to use
> either soy or rice milk becaause of not mixing the milk and meat. By time
> you get too many substitutions is can get pretty far from the original, so
> you wonder wht all the fuss was about.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

both taste right for it, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : using the rice milk with something not pork would work, and boca with
> milk
> : would also taste good, boca has a very properly spiced patty that if
> broken
> : up would show very similar, and i think be kosher, Lee
>
> Yes, one of the vegetarian sausages would be find. I know that
> mMorningsar Farms is kosher, not sure about Booca, I would have to check.
>
> wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it is carbier than i usually eat nowadays, but even a smallish portion is
good, and if you cut back a bit on the thicknening it would still taste
good... hhhmmm, i wonder what vegetables it would be good on besides
potatoes,... will have to think on that, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Storrmmee > wrote:
> : > : i can make what i call thick broth, that is add some
> flour/cornstartch
> : > : some of the liquid then re add, stirr and let sit after its brought
> back
> : > up,
> : > : thicker than broth, but ntot thick gravy... remember i was brought
> up on
> : > : sausage gravy, Lee
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on
> sausages or
> : > gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from
> your
> : > comments that it is a thick gravy.
>
> : You can get turkey sausage or beef. You want the crumbled kind like
> ground
> : beef. Cook it then add seasonings like black pepper and cayenne. Then
> add
> : enough flour to coat. Cook for a minute. Slowly add milk. Can use soy
> or
> : rice milk. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want. Serve over
> : biscuits or toast.
>
> Sounds pretty carby by time you do all that. I suppose I could use my
> low carb bread.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 4:49 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
>>> the Roomba does?
>>> let us know what you think of it!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
>> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
>> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
>> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
>> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> bwha ha ha
>
> this is EXACTLY what i need Cheri, I know what is going on the x-mas wish
> list! ta!
>
> (Amazon? i've never seen or heard of this before)
>
> kate (hates the time until right before thickening.......... how do you
> think Mom used to make gravy........ yup, i did all that "stir constantly"
> LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZKGcbZ4etQ

It demonstrates on YouTube. I bought mine at Walgreen's for I believe it was
9.99 in the As Seen On TV section. Also saw them at Rite-Aid and CVS. You
can order from Amazon or the Robo-Stir site, but then you have the postage
and the outrageous handling.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it is very hard, starting over is just almost unberable overwhelming, so
> many details, little things like remembering to put place matts and
> coasters on the shopping list to finding someone to remove trees so
> construction can be done properly...
>
> it is moving ever so slowly, being superstitious in nature i am reluctant
> to say much as every time i do something bad happens... but at least
> things are moving...
>
> we have learned what is important and what isn't, we are having a much
> smaller house than originally planned but we won't have nearly so much to
> try and pay for beyond the ins co's payout... that became much more
> important than some things, we also gave up some size for more
> maintainance free... neither of us are as young as we once were and figure
> this was a better use of the money... Lee

I could do with a small house so long as it has tons of storage. My
parent's house although not overly small does have tons of storage.

The kitchen has plenty of cupboards and a huge pantry. They still found
this not to be enough and bought a sideboard for the dining room.

But downstairs is a lot of built in storage. Running the length of one wall
are these cupboards that come up to about my chest. They stick out under
the windows so that there is a shelf on top for additional storage. As a
child I had one of these in which to store my toys.

At the back of the room is where my mom used to have her sewing room but it
is now where my dad has his computer. There used to be built in cupboards
along one wall. Those cupboards were just as deep as a magazine, so only
good for some things.

One the wall next to that there is a huge, deep closet. And on the wall
next to that is another, smaller closet with a rod. They move their clothes
seasonally to and from that closet.

They have since redone the basement and they lost the shallow cupboards and
had the one larger closet redone. They had asked for some built in drawers
to be put in the closet but the man doing it misunderstood and put them next
to the closet. My parents have this habit of going away on vacation while
the work is being done. So they can't oversee what is going on. No way
would I do that!

They also have a closet which they call the "cubby hole". It is under the
stairs. So you can only stand up in a small part of it. Seasonal things
like Christmas ornaments slide back under the stairs.

The garage had a ton of built in shelves in it but they had those taken down
and put up metal units.

And they have a shed in the back for garden tools and things.

My brother bought a house with an unfinished basement. Along the length of
one wall they installed benches. I can't remember the particulars of the
benches but they are used for storage and they have removable pads for
seats. They either have drawers that slide out or tops that lift up. They
also built a huge walk in closet down there.

My MIL's house (although she no longer lives in it) was custom built for a
disabled person. Alas they could not talk my FIL into adding an additional
small bedroom which would have been a big help to us when we were staying
there. And it wouldn't have cost much more. It is a one bedroom house.
The kitchen and living room are an open design with the only separation
being carpet and vinyl flooring. Two big pantries for the small kitchen.

The bedroom is large enough for two twin beds. MIL had to sleep in a
hospital type bed. And the closet in there is HUGE! She had a huge long
dresser in the bedroom itself as well as a few small chests. More chest of
drawers were in the closet and there were rods along three sides with
shelves over the top of those. She stored seldom used things like the soup
tureen in there. It was designed so that she could roll her wheel chair in
there to pick out her clothes, although she never wanted to do that.

When Angela was younger, she and my niece would sleep in the closet on a
full sized air bed. There was enough floor space to do that. And it had a
nice light in it.

Some years ago I was living with a roommate. The house had been a three
bedroom but the garage had been converted to a fourth bedroom. That room
was long and narrow but it had a HUGE closet in it! I would have taken that
room for myself but it came with a waterbed which I hated. So I didn't.
Our landlord stayed there one night a week in one of the bedrooms and the
last one was turned into a storage room. He had put in some kitchen
cabinets and counters. It was the perfect place for us to store our craft
supplies.

Another place I lived was above a dance studio. I had plenty of extra space
in which to store things but no cupboards except for in the living room.

But my neighbor had it made! The area that was made into her apartment had
once been a Drs. office. So she had her door which led into the combination
kitchen and living room. The next room over was her dining room but in it
was a long counter and plenty of cupboards left from when it was once a Drs.
office. It was hard for me to imagine how that would have looked.
Certainly not like the offices of today. Anyway that is where she did her
crafts.

Then the next room over was made into a little formal sitting room which was
rarely used and it also had housed her bell museum. She collected bells.

Somewhere on this level was the small bedroom that she slept in and opposite
the bedroom was a small closet. Of course there was a bathroom there too.
I can't remember the particulars of that.

She also had stairs that led to a large bedroom upstairs that she only used
for storage. That was the weird part. There was a door in my apartment
that led to that bedroom! The bedroom was actually designed so that when my
apartment rented out it could be a one or two bedroom depending on whether
that door was kept locked or not.

Worked fine when she was living there. She couldn't navigate stairs so
never used the room. But when she moved out some wacko guy moved in there
with his wife. Because the door was next to paper thin I could hear
everything that went on in that room. He liked to talk on the phone to
people very loudly and tell them all about his talks with whoever was the
president at the time. I think it was Regan. At times it was really all I
could do and all my company could do not to laugh out loud at this poor man.
Ah, the memories. That apartment is now a Walgreen's!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>> thinking
>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like the
> Roomba does?
> let us know what you think of it!

A Roomba would never work in this house! Too much stuff for it to bump
into.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>>> thinking
>>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like the
>> Roomba does?
>> let us know what you think of it!
>>
>> kate

> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)

I haven't made pudding for years but when I did, I did it in the microwave.
No need to stir.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 4:49 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
>>> the Roomba does?
>>> let us know what you think of it!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
>> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
>> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
>> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
>> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> bwha ha ha
>
> this is EXACTLY what i need Cheri, I know what is going on the x-mas wish
> list! ta!
>
> (Amazon? i've never seen or heard of this before)
>
> kate (hates the time until right before thickening.......... how do you
> think Mom used to make gravy........ yup, i did all that "stir constantly"
> LOL)

I don't know what to put on my wish list. I had thought of gel nail polish
and a light to cure it but... It requires soaking off in acetone polish
remover and I'm not so sure I want that part. Yeah, I want polish that
won't chip but...

A few years back I tried the water based polish. I was worried that it
wouldn't stay on. Oh it stayed on alright. But after the first day or two
it didn't look good. People told me that my nails looked funny. And to
remove it you had to use an alcohol based remover that also required
soaking. Dried out my fingertips and nails something awful.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Storrmmee > wrote:
> : > : i can make what i call thick broth, that is add some
> flour/cornstartch
> : > : some of the liquid then re add, stirr and let sit after its brought
> back
> : > up,
> : > : thicker than broth, but ntot thick gravy... remember i was brought
> up on
> : > : sausage gravy, Lee
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > Ii never had sausage so I am not sure if it is gravy to eat on
> sausages or
> : > gravy made FROM sausage, as I am a kosher northerner:-) I guess from
> your
> : > comments that it is a thick gravy.
>
> : You can get turkey sausage or beef. You want the crumbled kind like
> ground
> : beef. Cook it then add seasonings like black pepper and cayenne. Then
> add
> : enough flour to coat. Cook for a minute. Slowly add milk. Can use soy
> or
> : rice milk. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want. Serve over
> : biscuits or toast.
>
> Sounds pretty carby by time you do all that. I suppose I could use my
> low carb bread.

Or really tiny biscuits.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like
>>> the Roomba does?
>>> let us know what you think of it!
>>>
>>> kate

>> I love the robo-stirrer, but...it doesn't really do thick well. It does
>> take away all the tiresome stirring while things like pudding etc are
>> thickening. It does work on it's own, battery operated, and just set in
>> pan and set speed. When the mixture starts to get too thick for it, it
>> does have a different sound so you can take over from there. :-)

> I haven't made pudding for years but when I did, I did it in the
> microwave. No need to stir.

I make it for my grandkids, and the corn starch pudding doesn't do that well
in the microwave, at least not for me. It's strictly stovetop.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: it is carbier than i usually eat nowadays, but even a smallish portion is
: good, and if you cut back a bit on the thicknening it would still taste
: good... hhhmmm, i wonder what vegetables it would be good on besides
: potatoes,... will have to think on that, Lee

Try mashed caulifloweer, our fauxtatoes:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is what makes them so wonderful they damage nothing, as long as you
don't have clutter stacked around and its just furniture it works great,
trusst me, and its really great if you have the one i had... it had a remote
control so it would go under furniture at the dh's direction when i asked
him to do that... and man what a great cat toy... my dh was very upset one
day just after getting ours, five cats sitting in a row in china cat
position watching it go back and forth all heads moving like watching a
tennis match... and the camera was on the shelf behind where the cats were,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/22/2011 11:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>>> thinking
>>> that might help me... we will se when we return to the house, Lee

>> Lee, that would be my style............ does it work on it's own like the
>> Roomba does?
>> let us know what you think of it!

> A Roomba would never work in this house! Too much stuff for it to bump
> into.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that was my first thought, i think if made as dry as possible that might
work... i was also thinking maybe sliced parsnips or rutabegas, could fry
and might be more like potatoes... Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : it is carbier than i usually eat nowadays, but even a smallish portion
> is
> : good, and if you cut back a bit on the thicknening it would still taste
> : good... hhhmmm, i wonder what vegetables it would be good on besides
> : potatoes,... will have to think on that, Lee
>
> Try mashed caulifloweer, our fauxtatoes:-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 1:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> everyone on this earth i respect as a cook has tried to teach me the
>> fine
>> art of gravy, i am i think prohibited by law from making gravy, might
>> even
>> be a federal law... Lee

> a VERY fine sieve for SLOWLY adding the flour/water mix to the boiling
> broth and whisk briskly when adding the flour/water
>
> sometimes this is easier with 2 people trying this (i learned that
> when i had to hold the fine sieve and mom would slowly add the
> flour/water to the gravy)
>
> kate

And if all fails, a stick blender!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In Australia they sell special gravy flour. Its pretty hard to create
lumpy gravy using it but then again they haven't met you...

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
> thinking that might help me... we will se when we return to the house,
> Lee
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/22/2011 1:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> everyone on this earth i respect as a cook has tried to teach me the
>>> fine
>>> art of gravy, i am i think prohibited by law from making gravy,
>>> might even
>>> be a federal law... Lee

>> a VERY fine sieve for SLOWLY adding the flour/water mix to the
>> boiling broth and whisk briskly when adding the flour/water
>>
>> sometimes this is easier with 2 people trying this (i learned that
>> when i had to hold the fine sieve and mom would slowly add the
>> flour/water to the gravy)
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> I've done it all... lol... a friend just bought us a robo stirrer
>> thinking that might help me... we will se when we return to the
>> house, Lee
>>>
>>> a VERY fine sieve for SLOWLY adding the flour/water mix to the
>>> boiling broth and whisk briskly when adding the flour/water
>>>
>>> sometimes this is easier with 2 people trying this (i learned that
>>> when i had to hold the fine sieve and mom would slowly add the
>>> flour/water to the gravy)
>>>
>>> kate

> It's really much easier just to have a Bamix or any decent stick
> blender. Never have lumpy gravy that way.
>
> Cheri

For sure for sure. They save pretty much every gravy disaster other than
flavour disasters

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> tbh its easier just to get the dh to do that part... if i were single
>> i would just not eat it,... have i mentioned i am a mechanical
>> killer> dh had a stick blender, for like ten years... when i finally
>> worked up my nerve to ask him to show me how to use it for hot
>> cocoa... i broke it first time out while he was standing there
>> watching me... i did exactly as he instructed, things like that don't
>> love me, Lee

> I think I am on my 3rd or 4th stick blender. They don't seem to last
> very long here and I don't use them often either! One problem I have
> is that all of the ones I have bought say not to use in hot liquids.
> And yet that is usually what I use them for. I think it burns the
> motor out.

I have had mine for years, a $12 jobby from the supermarket, lol. I used
to yearn for a Bamix but in reality, my el cheapo does everything I need
it to do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> tbh its easier just to get the dh to do that part... if i were single
>> i would just not eat it,... have i mentioned i am a mechanical
>> killer> dh had a stick blender, for like ten years... when i finally
>> worked up my nerve to ask him to show me how to use it for hot
>> cocoa... i broke it first time out while he was standing there
>> watching me... i did exactly as he instructed, things like that don't
>> love me, Lee

> I think I am on my 3rd or 4th stick blender. They don't seem to last
> very long here and I don't use them often either! One problem I have
> is that all of the ones I have bought say not to use in hot liquids.
> And yet that is usually what I use them for. I think it burns the
> motor out.

More likely to melt the plastic as the motors isn't near the blades but
I have used mine in hot liquids for years. I don't sit the blender in
the liquid, I keep moving it and its only for a few seconds anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> that was my first thought, i think if made as dry as possible that might
> work... i was also thinking maybe sliced parsnips or rutabegas, could fry
> and might be more like potatoes... Lee

I don't know the carb count of turnips. I like them raw but can live
without them. Parsnips though have as many carbs as potatoes I think. At
least they spike me very badly. Good thing I don't like them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i thinks this gets back to that "stir constantly" instruction, just
> not in
> : my skill set, lol, Lee
> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> Stormee, If you make it thin, .ike I do you don't have to stir it sll
> the
> time in order to keep it from getting lumps. Mine is alwasy thin and
> the
> only "lumps" are ssmall pieces of onions, etc scraped from the bottom
> of
> the pan and they only add to the taste adn nice texture.
>
> Wendy

I like to put flour on the stuck bits on the pan (pumpkin, potato, onion
are nice) then stir it over low heat until you can't see the whiteness
of the flour any more then add water while stirring, it only takes a few
stirs after that until its thickened and i can turn down heat and leave
it.