FoodBanter.com

-   -   Menu for diarrhea? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/411232-menu-diarrhea.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 02:23 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the Metformin
and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3 tomorrow. That will be
1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the Metformin
because she took that dose for many days with no problem. She was also very
tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat and runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her hand/arm twitch
which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going to do
anything about it. Said that things like this resolve on their own in kids
her age. I pointed out that the last ear infection did not resolve itself.
It started in May and kept going until June!

So she prescribed Azytrhromycin but said not to give it to her unless she
got a fever. I did anyway. But not right away. I waited 2 days until she
was screaming with ear pain. I didn't actually take her temperature because
I still do not have an accurate thermometer and refuse to keep buying them.
I have bought dozens over the years. They will show us with a fever and
then we will go to the Dr. and be found to have a normal temperature. Or
they show us with no fever and the Dr. says we have one! Anyway she went
from feeling chilled (it was a warm day) to sweating (and by then it had
cooled off). She felt hot to the touch. So that was on Sunday. She was
also sleeping a lot. I had to wake her. And she was going to bed early.
Neither thing is like her.

She missed school on Friday. I didn't really believe she was sick at first.
She said she had diarrhea and complained of the ear, throat and runny nose.
Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day but a few bites of cereal and
only because I told her she had to eat something.

Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout of diarrhea a day.
Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late last night she
got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain. Severe diarrhea! Took
the maximum dose of the store brand Imodium which is 4 pills. First 2, then
1 then another 1. She stayed up, hovering over a bowl not sure which way
she was going to get sick. I finally gave her a can of diet ginger ale and
then she felt a bit better.

I debated taking her to the Dr. again today but so far no diarrhea. However
she says she does feel sick to her stomach.

Her Endo. is not in on Tuesdays. Apparently he is there early in the
morning for some kind of appointment but then he leaves. I don't know if he
does surgery or what but he does not answer calls today. So I didn't bother
trying to call to see if this stomach stuff could be from the Metformin.
But the family practitioner she saw didn't seem to think so. Her
pediatrician was booked up so she saw another Dr.

She really hasn't been eating much. She had some gluten free fish sticks
for breakfast and I made her a small amount of plain white rice for lunch.
Neither of these things are low carb, I know. We may have some yogurt.
Not sure but if we do it will be the flavored kind. She won't eat plain. I
am not sure about giving her toast. She can't eat regular bread. Normally
she eats some made of corn flour which would be bad. I just got the new
order. There is some made of tapioca. Would that work for her problem? I
do have a few slices of some mixed grain, high fiber stuff. I know that
would be bad. We do have all kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the house.
I do have a couple of chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of canned
chicken, chicken broth and also rice pasta.

At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and just try to
get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school she is now flunking
history because she missed a test. They are making it super hard this year
for kids who are absent to make up work! Her math teacher was putting their
assignments online but then she suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she
was sick or what. Angela said tons of kids have been sick.

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat low
carb .

Thanks!

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 02:46 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
medications when I have upset stomach as well.

Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would a
doctor think that process has changed?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 21-09-2011 02:59 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

On 9/20/2011 8:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

It is very possible that the diarrhea is from the antibiotics. The
strong ones often kill the good bacteria in the colon. If that is the
case, yogurt is what is recommended. To avoid high carbs, look for one
of the Greek yogurts. Fage brand is fairly low in carbs. They have one
that is 0% fat. If you want to sweeten it, use a tablespoon of jam or
preserves. Don't use sugar-free jam if it contains any sweeteners that
have sugar alcohols as they can make the diarrhea worse.

The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. Lots of clear fluids.
Water, tea (the tannin in strong tea can sooth an upset stomach),
Crystal Light, clear broths, sugar-free jello (watch for sugar
alcohols). If you can find a sugar-free sports drink, like Gatorade,
that will help replace electrolites. I don't know if they make Pedialite
without a lot of sugar.

If she is still running high fevers and can't hold down Tylenol, put her
in the bath tub with warm (cooler than normal bath temp, but not cool)
water and pour it over her body with a bowl or large cup. That will help
cool her down.

And, Julie, I am being kind in giving you some advice. Please do not
come back and tell me why you can't follow it. I'm really more interest
in your child getting well than I am in your excuses. Thanks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 03:06 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it with
the antibiotics.

As for the ear infections, I don't know why they say that but they all seem
to. Angela was once at the ER where the Dr. said she had a raging ear
infection but he did nothing about it. I think that was the time she wound
up going to my ENT who did prescribe something. For the ear infection prior
they only gave her drops for pain which did nothing at all. I think she
made three trips to the Dr. before they would prescribe something. They
always think it will resolve in its own.

The thing I have had that I have sometimes gotten to resolve is a fungal
infection in the ear. Sometimes if I catch it right away and keep treating
it with half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar I can kill it. But only
sometimes. Sometimes it just makes it worse by keeping it slightly at bay
and then as soon as I stop using the drops it rapidly mulitplies.

I am going out to buy her some rice cakes. She will need something in her
lunch. I hope, hope, hope she can go to school tomorrow!

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 03:12 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

She will not eat Greek. I bought some once. It almost made her vomit. She
couldn't bring herself to swallow it. She also won't eat jam or preserves.
The only thing like that I ever keep in the house is some sugar free
strawberry and since I eat it on peanut butter sandwiches it wouldn't be
safe for her to eat. I don't worry about cross contamination with it
because she has never shown an interest in eating it. She won't eat
anything with pieces of fruit in it. There are no sugar alcohols in this
stuff. But I also can't get any more because the health food store closed
about an hour ago.

The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. Lots of clear
fluids. Water, tea (the tannin in strong tea can sooth an upset
stomach), Crystal Light, clear broths, sugar-free jello (watch for
sugar alcohols). If you can find a sugar-free sports drink, like
Gatorade, that will help replace electrolites. I don't know if they
make Pedialite without a lot of sugar.

She does have sugar free sports drinks. Won't eat Jell-O and the only tea
she will drink is green. I do have broth though.

If she is still running high fevers and can't hold down Tylenol, put
her in the bath tub with warm (cooler than normal bath temp, but not
cool) water and pour it over her body with a bowl or large cup. That
will help cool her down.

She doesn't have a high fever. At least I don't think so.

And, Julie, I am being kind in giving you some advice. Please do not
come back and tell me why you can't follow it. I'm really more
interest in your child getting well than I am in your excuses. Thanks.

Sorry, I already did. That's just how I am.

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 03:12 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
probiotic capsules.

Janet 21-09-2011 03:36 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Julie Bove wrote:

snip

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
low carb .

Thanks!

I just take OTC Immodium.

For dogs, the usual recommendation is white rice mixed with a bit of some
kind of plain, comparatively low fat meat, such as cooked and drained ground
beef or chicken.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 21-09-2011 04:11 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Metformin

Metformin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are
severe, do not go away, go away and come back, or do not begin for some time
after you begin taking metformin:

diarrhea

bloating
stomach pain
gas
constipation
unpleasant metallic taste in mouth
heartburn
headache
sneezing
cough
runny nose
flushing of the skin
nail changes
muscle pain

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 05:04 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I've been giving her those too.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 05:06 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Janet" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

snip

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
low carb .

Thanks!

I just take OTC Immodium.

She has been taking that but as of yesterday it was severe. So far so good
on that front today but she has terrible stomach pains. At least we know it
isn't her appendix because that has been removed.

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 08:52 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more complex...
but when i am in this situation often its something to go down there and
collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown, warm tapioca pudding,
and warm jello... also remember to keep her hydrated, truth is its almost
more important to get the liquids in than make the stool... also watch her
electrolights, but if she is carb sensitive she won't probably do well with
a banana, Lee

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 09:01 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some of
that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded chicken she
lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton free jobs stir it up
and give her to eat in small amounts... and just warm not hot or too cool,
Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message

snip

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 09:34 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some of
that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded chicken she
lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton free jobs stir it up
and give her to eat in small amounts... and just warm not hot or too cool,
Lee

She usually won't eat brown rice but we have tried a mix recently that is
white, brown and vegetables. Not good for now I know.

We were just in the ER. The Dr. thinks it is gastritis. I will have to
look up the term. She was given some Maalox with Lidocaine in it and it
took her pain level (on a scale of 1 to 10) from a 9 to a 1. Her labs all
came back normal. BG was 75.

He told me to stop the antibiotic because her ears look clear now. And to
back the Metformin off to 500 mg for a few days then increase it. If the D
comes back I need to call the Endo.

He prescribed Protonix for 2 weeks. I hope she doesn't need to go on that
all the time because all of those types of meds made me very sick.
Increased my GERD something fierce and caused migraines and bizarre dreams.
But perhaps she will need the med only for 2 weeks.

He said for her not to eat spicy foods and no caffeine. She said that she
doesn't eat spicy foods but I'm not so sure about that. Yesterday she
wanted some steak for dinner. It is a Sukiyaki cut so it cooks in just a
minute or three. Then I put a little drizzle of Heinz 57 on it, mixed it
through and served it. She had it with the rice and veggies. I don't think
I've ever eaten Heinz 57 but I think it is spicy. I could be wrong though.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 09:40 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more complex...
but when i am in this situation often its something to go down there and
collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown, warm tapioca
pudding, and warm jello... also remember to keep her hydrated, truth is
its almost more important to get the liquids in than make the stool...
also watch her electrolights, but if she is carb sensitive she won't
probably do well with a banana, Lee

I was in such a hurry to leave and get to the store that I totally forgot to
give her the meds. All I gave her for dinner was a small bowl of rice
pasta. I didn't have any white rice in the house. This was imported from
Italy so I couldn't read all of it. But it said something about adding the
germ back in. And it was 2g of fiber per serving which seemed to be less
than the brown rice pasta we had.

At the store I bought her rice cakes, rice crackers, rice chips and some
white rice bread. Because she needed to eat with the meds I gave her a
sandwich of thinly sliced chicken breast on the plain white rice bread,
toasted. She loved it! But I told her she could not be eating that sort of
bread all the time because it has the same amount of carbs as regular wheat
bread. It didn't seem to raise her BG though because she tested at 75 at
the ER.

Now I am cranky because I didn't think to bring any food or my meds to the
ER. I should have had my bedtime snack 38 minutes ago but I didn't. And I
won't get the food for a while because I took my Carafate when I first came
in and it takes an hour before I can eat. I just hope I don't go hypo
before then. My numbers were down prior to and after dinner. Not too low
but much down from what they had been running.

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 10:10 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some
of that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded
chicken she lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton
free jobs stir it up and give her to eat in small amounts... and just
warm not hot or too cool, Lee

I read that brown rice has the same glycemic load as white. May as well
go for the white if using rice at all - in my experience most kids
prefer white rice. I was told years ago that there are (amongst other
things) 3 food items that pretty much most people can tolerate when
allergic and they are rice, pears and lamb. I think more liquid intake
is needed if you are running to the toilet frequently. If it has settled
down to only needing to go after eating then in my opinion liquids can
be lessened a bit. My 20 year old had the trots recently and I urged him
to keep drinking and he said nah, liquid makes liquid ;)

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message

snip