Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Today was a good day for food!

We started at Costco. They have some new falafel that we are not allergic
to! They seem to be going out of their way to carry more and more gluten
free items. Their prior falafel I think had egg and wheat in them. These
do have more carbs than I expected they would but two of them along with
some raw veggies and maybe some olives will make a nice snack for Angela or
can be part of our dinner. Like tonight.

They also had the Pollo Asado. Angela and my husband love that. I haven't
tried it because it is dark meat chicken and I really don't like that. I
bought two. One for the freezer.

They also had some samples that Angela liked. I told her that now the only
way she is going to get ice cream and such is when she gets a sample. She
had a bite of vanilla ice cream, a bite of some frozen fruit treat and a
piece of cantaloupe.

She did try the low carb ice cream but didn't like it at all. My mom tried
it and said it was okay. She also tried a low carb chocolate bar and didn't
like it at all either. But that doesn't surprise me because she doesn't
like chocolate.

Then we went to Target. We really didn't buy much food because we didn't
need it but I did use a lot of coupons for things like dental floss and
garbage bags. And they had the cat litter I wanted on sale.

A Catalina coupon printed at the register for $5.00 off any grocery order of
$50.00. And in the mail box there was a $10.00 off any grocery order. I
think the amount I have to spend is $75.00. So that's very good. I can't
do all of my grocery shopping there because their selection is limited but I
can get necessities like meat, produce and cheese.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
<snip>

> They also had some samples that Angela liked. I told her that now
> the only way she is going to get ice cream and such is when she gets
> a sample. She had a bite of vanilla ice cream, a bite of some frozen
> fruit treat and a piece of cantaloupe.

> She did try the low carb ice cream but didn't like it at all. My mom
> tried it and said it was okay. She also tried a low carb chocolate
> bar and didn't like it at all either. But that doesn't surprise me
> because she doesn't like chocolate.

I like the low carb chocolate bars at Trader Joe's, although I have bought
the same brand at other stores a couple of times and they were absolutely
horrible: dry, with greyish powdery bloom. (This goes to show that how
chocolate is kept is extremely important.) The TJ's bars are not up to the
standard of the El Rey chocolate I use in my truffles, but it is okay. And
unlike El Rey I can actually eat some safely.

But if she doesn't like chocolate, be thankful: that's at least one
problematic food that you don't have to worry about!

Regarding ice cream, I assume that one could make one's own lower carb ice
cream using heavy cream and xylitol or a mixture of sweeteners....not sure
how the absence of sugar would affect the consistency, but with the right
flavorings, if eaten right away, it could be okay and at least have great
flavor. But I'm just thinking out loud. I'm sure people have addressed this
issue.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:

: I like the low carb chocolate bars at Trader Joe's, although I have bought
: the same brand at other stores a couple of times and they were absolutely
: horrible: dry, with greyish powdery bloom. (This goes to show that how
: chocolate is kept is extremely important.) The TJ's bars are not up to the
: standard of the El Rey chocolate I use in my truffles, but it is okay. And
: unlike El Rey I can actually eat some safely.

janet, I get the 85% Trader Joe's chocolate bars that are quite
inexpensive and are also quite low carb and eat about a quarter ofo the
package(<1 oz) for a servig. I find them very good and so much cheaper
than the Lindt or Ghiradelli or other "fancy" bars sold in my areal. The
chocolare may not be quite a suave, if you understan what I am trying to
say, but it has a nice robust chocolate taste that stisfies me and at
$1.45 a bar instead of around $3.)) it is just fine!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> They also had some samples that Angela liked. I told her that now
>> the only way she is going to get ice cream and such is when she gets
>> a sample. She had a bite of vanilla ice cream, a bite of some frozen
>> fruit treat and a piece of cantaloupe.

>> She did try the low carb ice cream but didn't like it at all. My mom
>> tried it and said it was okay. She also tried a low carb chocolate
>> bar and didn't like it at all either. But that doesn't surprise me
>> because she doesn't like chocolate.

> I like the low carb chocolate bars at Trader Joe's, although I have bought
> the same brand at other stores a couple of times and they were absolutely
> horrible: dry, with greyish powdery bloom. (This goes to show that how
> chocolate is kept is extremely important.) The TJ's bars are not up to the
> standard of the El Rey chocolate I use in my truffles, but it is okay. And
> unlike El Rey I can actually eat some safely.
>
> But if she doesn't like chocolate, be thankful: that's at least one
> problematic food that you don't have to worry about!
>
> Regarding ice cream, I assume that one could make one's own lower carb ice
> cream using heavy cream and xylitol or a mixture of sweeteners....not sure
> how the absence of sugar would affect the consistency, but with the right
> flavorings, if eaten right away, it could be okay and at least have great
> flavor. But I'm just thinking out loud. I'm sure people have addressed
> this issue.

I don't think I have my ice cream maker any more. Angela got it for me as a
gift some years ago which I found strange because I hate ice cream. I did
try a variety of recipes though and the only one they liked was the banana.
It used mostly bananas. So that's out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> They also had some samples that Angela liked. I told her that now
>> the only way she is going to get ice cream and such is when she gets
>> a sample. She had a bite of vanilla ice cream, a bite of some frozen
>> fruit treat and a piece of cantaloupe.

>> She did try the low carb ice cream but didn't like it at all. My mom
>> tried it and said it was okay. She also tried a low carb chocolate
>> bar and didn't like it at all either. But that doesn't surprise me
>> because she doesn't like chocolate.

> I like the low carb chocolate bars at Trader Joe's, although I have
> bought the same brand at other stores a couple of times and they were
> absolutely horrible: dry, with greyish powdery bloom. (This goes to
> show that how chocolate is kept is extremely important.) The TJ's bars
> are not up to the standard of the El Rey chocolate I use in my
> truffles, but it is okay. And unlike El Rey I can actually eat some
> safely.
>
> But if she doesn't like chocolate, be thankful: that's at least one
> problematic food that you don't have to worry about!
>
> Regarding ice cream, I assume that one could make one's own lower carb
> ice cream using heavy cream and xylitol or a mixture of
> sweeteners....not sure how the absence of sugar would affect the
> consistency, but with the right flavorings, if eaten right away, it
> could be okay and at least have great flavor. But I'm just thinking
> out loud. I'm sure people have addressed this issue.

I'm afraid there are some things where I just have to have the real
deal. I would much prefer to have a small serve of real ice cream and
chocolate bars than a larger serve of something "that's not quite right"
IMO of course, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> They also had some samples that Angela liked. I told her that now
>>> the only way she is going to get ice cream and such is when she gets
>>> a sample. She had a bite of vanilla ice cream, a bite of some frozen
>>> fruit treat and a piece of cantaloupe.

>>> She did try the low carb ice cream but didn't like it at all. My mom
>>> tried it and said it was okay. She also tried a low carb chocolate
>>> bar and didn't like it at all either. But that doesn't surprise me
>>> because she doesn't like chocolate.

>> I like the low carb chocolate bars at Trader Joe's, although I have
>> bought the same brand at other stores a couple of times and they were
>> absolutely horrible: dry, with greyish powdery bloom. (This goes to show
>> that how chocolate is kept is extremely important.) The TJ's bars are not
>> up to the standard of the El Rey chocolate I use in my truffles, but it
>> is okay. And unlike El Rey I can actually eat some safely.
>>
>> But if she doesn't like chocolate, be thankful: that's at least one
>> problematic food that you don't have to worry about!
>>
>> Regarding ice cream, I assume that one could make one's own lower carb
>> ice cream using heavy cream and xylitol or a mixture of sweeteners....not
>> sure how the absence of sugar would affect the consistency, but with the
>> right flavorings, if eaten right away, it could be okay and at least have
>> great flavor. But I'm just thinking out loud. I'm sure people have
>> addressed this issue.

> I'm afraid there are some things where I just have to have the real deal.
> I would much prefer to have a small serve of real ice cream and chocolate
> bars than a larger serve of something "that's not quite right" IMO of
> course, lol.

Me too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

>> I'm afraid there are some things where I just have to have the real
>> deal. I would much prefer to have a small serve of real ice cream
>> and chocolate bars than a larger serve of something "that's not
>> quite right" IMO of course, lol.

> Me too.

I think ice cream made at home with heavy cream is much "realer" than the
stuff in stores, though.

Regarding chocolate, I guess it is partly that I have about 100 lbs of
high-quality chocolate of various types around at any given time. For me,
that chocolate HAS to be strictly off limits. So I occasionally allow myself
the TJ's bar. I think it's called Simple Dreams, or something like that. It
is certainly better than Hershey's, so I guess it qualifies as "real."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:

: >> I'm afraid there are some things where I just have to have the real
: >> deal. I would much prefer to have a small serve of real ice cream
: >> and chocolate bars than a larger serve of something "that's not
: >> quite right" IMO of course, lol.
: >
: > Me too.

: I think ice cream made at home with heavy cream is much "realer" than the
: stuff in stores, though.

: Regarding chocolate, I guess it is partly that I have about 100 lbs of
: high-quality chocolate of various types around at any given time. For me,
: that chocolate HAS to be strictly off limits. So I occasionally allow myself
: the TJ's bar. I think it's called Simple Dreams, or something like that. It
: is certainly better than Hershey's, so I guess it qualifies as "real."

The trader Joe's cocolate bar I buy is he 3.5 oz "The Dark Chocolate
Lovers Chocolate Bar. It is i a kind of box with 2 wrapped bars inside(I
never eat more than half of one of these internal bars) and is 85%Cacao,
is brown and lightgreen colored with a I guess cacoa bean and some leaves
on the pack. It says it is from the tumaco region of Columbia. Carbs in
a 40 g serving is 13, of which 5 is fiber. I eat considerably less

Wendy