Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sugar Snap Pea and Radish Salad

Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:

Ingredients

Mint Chive Dressing:

3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
chives
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Snap Pea Salad:

2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Baby arugula (optional)
Directions
Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8

1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a medium
bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
incorporated.
2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle
with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for 1
hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.

Nutritional Information:
Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g sat.),
9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 3
points plus

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
[...]

Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
usually does the best job.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>

> : Ingredients
>
> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>
> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
> : chives
> : 2 tsp. honey
> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
> : 1 clove garlic, minced
> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> : Snap Pea Salad:
>
> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
> : Baby arugula (optional)
> : Directions
> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>
> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
> medium
> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
> : incorporated.
> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
> Drizzle
> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for
> 1
> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>
> : Nutritional Information:
> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
> sat.),
> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium,
> 3
> : points plus
>
> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
> usually does the best job.

Maybe that's why I don't like salad dressing? I can do Italian on a pasta
salad. But so often that standard macaroni salad that you get at salad bars
and such has an awful sweet taste to it. Same for three bean salad. I
always want to like three bean salad because I've never met a bean I didn't
like, but when you put them in that salad, I no like!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Cheri > wrote:
: >
: > Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
: > dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
: > usually does the best job.

: Maybe that's why I don't like salad dressing? I can do Italian on a pasta
: salad. But so often that standard macaroni salad that you get at salad bars
: and such has an awful sweet taste to it. Same for three bean salad. I
: always want to like three bean salad because I've never met a bean I didn't
: like, but when you put them in that salad, I no like!

Try making your own, get a tasty vinegar, wine, or balsamic (sometimes
mixed with wine for less sweetness) and good olive oil, with more oil
than vinegar(try and find your preference), salt, pepper adn herbs to
taste, and, if you like, a spoonful of mustard. If you like garalic, you
can add some finely minces, or just sliced and added , but not eaten. Mix
very well and pour on your salad. You can if you like, make it in a jar
with a good top and shake it well. You can store what is left in the
fridge for he next night's salad.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>

> : Ingredients
>
> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>
> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
> : chives
> : 2 tsp. honey
> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
> : 1 clove garlic, minced
> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> : Snap Pea Salad:
>
> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
> : Baby arugula (optional)
> : Directions
> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>
> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
> medium
> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
> : incorporated.
> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
> Drizzle
> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for
> 1
> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>
> : Nutritional Information:
> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
> sat.),
> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium,
> 3
> : points plus
>
> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
> usually does the best job.
>
> Wendy

I wonder that too. Personally, I would leave the honey out, but I don't like
to change recipes that I'm cutting and pasting.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Cheri > wrote:
>> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>>

>> : Ingredients
>>
>> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>>
>> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
>> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
>> : chives
>> : 2 tsp. honey
>> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
>> : 1 clove garlic, minced
>> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>>
>> : Snap Pea Salad:
>>
>> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
>> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
>> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
>> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
>> : Baby arugula (optional)
>> : Directions
>> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>>
>> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in
>> a medium
>> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
>> : incorporated.
>> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
>> Drizzle
>> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill
>> for 1
>> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>>
>> : Nutritional Information:
>> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1
>> g sat.),
>> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg
>> sodium, 3
>> : points plus
>>
>> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
>> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
>> usually does the best job.
>>
>> Wendy

> I wonder that too. Personally, I would leave the honey out, but I
> don't like to change recipes that I'm cutting and pasting.

I love sweet and tart type dressings both. Mango mayo on seafood like
prawns and chicken salad is wondrous. Occasionally I buy bagged mixed
salad. There is one crisp salad that comes with a sachet of a thin mango
flavoured dressed and a sachet of grated coconut (much larger pieces
than dessicated but thin). It tastes suberb. And lovely and quick to go
with a piece of bbq'ed or grilled meat when you don't want much fuss.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am not a general salad eater, i think in this case the radishes and onion
would offset the honey in a very pleaseant way, but i am trying to figure
out why there is so much salt, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>

> : Ingredients
>
> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>
> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
> : chives
> : 2 tsp. honey
> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
> : 1 clove garlic, minced
> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> : Snap Pea Salad:
>
> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
> : Baby arugula (optional)
> : Directions
> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>
> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
> medium
> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
> : incorporated.
> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
> Drizzle
> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for
> 1
> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>
> : Nutritional Information:
> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
> sat.),
> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium,
> 3
> : points plus
>
> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
> usually does the best job.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well duh didn't see the seasalt at first, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>

> Ingredients
>
> Mint Chive Dressing:
>
> 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
> 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
> chives
> 2 tsp. honey
> 1/2 tsp. sea salt
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> Snap Pea Salad:
>
> 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
> 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
> 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
> Freshly ground pepper to taste
> Baby arugula (optional)
> Directions
> Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>
> 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
> medium bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
> incorporated.
> 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle
> with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for 1
> hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>
> Nutritional Information:
> Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
> sat.), 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg
> sodium, 3 points plus

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was wondering, once i went back and read again about leaving out the salt,
Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Cheri > wrote:
>> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>>

>> : Ingredients
>>
>> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>>
>> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
>> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
>> : chives
>> : 2 tsp. honey
>> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
>> : 1 clove garlic, minced
>> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>>
>> : Snap Pea Salad:
>>
>> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
>> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
>> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
>> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
>> : Baby arugula (optional)
>> : Directions
>> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>>
>> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
>> medium
>> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
>> : incorporated.
>> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
>> Drizzle
>> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill for
>> 1
>> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>>
>> : Nutritional Information:
>> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
>> sat.),
>> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg
>> sodium, 3
>> : points plus
>>
>> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
>> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
>> usually does the best job.
>>
>> Wendy

> I wonder that too. Personally, I would leave the honey out, but I don't
> like to change recipes that I'm cutting and pasting.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Cheri > wrote:
>>> : Another quick salad from Raley's Extra Magazine:
>>>

>>> : Ingredients
>>>
>>> : Mint Chive Dressing:
>>>
>>> : 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
>>> : 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh mint and snipped fresh
>>> : chives
>>> : 2 tsp. honey
>>> : 1/2 tsp. sea salt
>>> : 1 clove garlic, minced
>>> : 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
>>>
>>> : Snap Pea Salad:
>>>
>>> : 2 (8-oz.) bags Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
>>> : 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
>>> : 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
>>> : Freshly ground pepper to taste
>>> : Baby arugula (optional)
>>> : Directions
>>> : Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour Serves: 6 to 8
>>>
>>> : 1. Whisk together vinegar, mint, chives, honey, salt and garlic in a
>>> medium
>>> : bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until oilis
>>> : incorporated.
>>> : 2. Place sugar snap peas, radishes and red onion in a large bowl.
>>> Drizzle
>>> : with dressing and toss to coat; season with pepper. Cover and chill
>>> for 1
>>> : hour. Serve over arugula, if you like.
>>>
>>> : Nutritional Information:
>>> : Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g total fat, (1 g
>>> sat.),
>>> : 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg
>>> sodium, 3
>>> : points plus
>>>
>>> Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
>>> dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
>>> usually does the best job.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> I wonder that too. Personally, I would leave the honey out, but I don't
>> like to change recipes that I'm cutting and pasting.

> I love sweet and tart type dressings both. Mango mayo on seafood like
> prawns and chicken salad is wondrous. Occasionally I buy bagged mixed
> salad. There is one crisp salad that comes with a sachet of a thin mango
> flavoured dressed and a sachet of grated coconut (much larger pieces than
> dessicated but thin). It tastes suberb. And lovely and quick to go with a
> piece of bbq'ed or grilled meat when you don't want much fuss.

I'm not really big on sweet dressing.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Cheri > wrote:
> : >
> : > Something I wonder about. Why do so many people put sweet into salad
> : > dressing? I find, tart, vinegar and quality oil with some seasonings
> : > usually does the best job.
>
> : Maybe that's why I don't like salad dressing? I can do Italian on a
> pasta
> : salad. But so often that standard macaroni salad that you get at salad
> bars
> : and such has an awful sweet taste to it. Same for three bean salad. I
> : always want to like three bean salad because I've never met a bean I
> didn't
> : like, but when you put them in that salad, I no like!
>
> Try making your own, get a tasty vinegar, wine, or balsamic (sometimes
> mixed with wine for less sweetness) and good olive oil, with more oil
> than vinegar(try and find your preference), salt, pepper adn herbs to
> taste, and, if you like, a spoonful of mustard. If you like garalic, you
> can add some finely minces, or just sliced and added , but not eaten. Mix
> very well and pour on your salad. You can if you like, make it in a jar
> with a good top and shake it well. You can store what is left in the
> fridge for he next night's salad.

I don't like anything on my green salad except for maybe salt, pepper, salsa
or lemon. I can't stand garlic and any oil on my salad just makes it slimy.
Not for me. But I do love salad!