Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant Lasagna

Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
lasagna noodles out. :-)

1 1/2 cup Ricotta
8 oz. Mozzarella, diced
8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
4 tsp Sundried Tomato Paste
2 tsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
2 tsp Oregano, dried
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 tbs Olive Oil
1 Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce, sundried tomato
paste, basil, oregano, and garlic. In another bowl, blend ricotta, diced
mozzarella, and black pepper. Add olive oil to a pan and fry eggplant on a
medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place cooked pieces on a
plate and set aside. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom of 8-inch
baking pan. Layer 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 eggplant, and 1/2 cheese mixture.
Repeat process once. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and grated mozzarella.
Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into 4
servings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
[...]

I would, certainly add some grated Parmigian or romano cheese to the top
of that, as well as some more oregono for flavor. Mushrooms, sliced as a
layer or just added to the sauce woud also add to this.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/5/2011 12:54 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
> : Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
> : lasagna noodles out. :-)
>

> : 1 1/2 cup Ricotta
> : 8 oz. Mozzarella, diced
> : 8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
> : 2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
> : 4 tsp Sundried Tomato Paste
> : 2 tsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
> : 2 tsp Oregano, dried
> : 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
> : 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
> : 2 tbs Olive Oil
> : 1 Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
>
> : Directions: : Preheat oven to 350?F. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce,
> sundried tomato : paste, basil, oregano, and garlic. In another bowl,
> blend ricotta, diced : mozzarella, and black pepper. Add olive oil to a
> pan and fry eggplant on a : medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
> Place cooked pieces on a : plate and set aside. Spread thin layer of
> tomato sauce on bottom of 8-inch : baking pan. Layer 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2
> eggplant, and 1/2 cheese mixture. : Repeat process once. Top with
> remaining tomato sauce, and grated mozzarella. : Cover with aluminum foil.
> Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into 4 : servings.
>
> I would, certainly add some grated Parmigian or romano cheese to the top
> of that, as well as some more oregono for flavor. Mushrooms, sliced as a
> layer or just added to the sauce woud also add to this.
>
> Wendy

I would peel the eggplant. I find that the peel can be tough in a lasagna.

My market sells frozen long slices of grilled eggplant. I peel them and
defrost them and use them instead of noodles. No frying as they are
pre-grilled.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > > wrote:
: > : Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
: > : lasagna noodles out. :-)
: >
: >
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Interesting. I find hat the long strips , which I cut fairly thin and
bake, oiled with olive oil, don't present a amuch trouble with tough skin
as when I use thik round slices for my eggplant partigiana. Any job I
don't have to do, I like to avoid:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

nice, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
> lasagna noodles out. :-)
>

> 1 1/2 cup Ricotta
> 8 oz. Mozzarella, diced
> 8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
> 2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
> 4 tsp Sundried Tomato Paste
> 2 tsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
> 2 tsp Oregano, dried
> 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
> 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
> 2 tbs Olive Oil
> 1 Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
>
> Directions:
> Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce, sundried tomato
> paste, basil, oregano, and garlic. In another bowl, blend ricotta, diced
> mozzarella, and black pepper. Add olive oil to a pan and fry eggplant on a
> medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place cooked pieces on a
> plate and set aside. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom of 8-inch
> baking pan. Layer 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 eggplant, and 1/2 cheese mixture.
> Repeat process once. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and grated
> mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
> Cut into 4 servings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:48:50 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
>lasagna noodles out. :-)
>

>1 1/2 cup Ricotta
>8 oz. Mozzarella, diced
>8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
>2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
>4 tsp Sundried Tomato Paste
>2 tsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
>2 tsp Oregano, dried
>2 cloves Garlic, crushed
>1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
>2 tbs Olive Oil
>1 Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
>
>Directions:
>Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce, sundried tomato
>paste, basil, oregano, and garlic. In another bowl, blend ricotta, diced
>mozzarella, and black pepper. Add olive oil to a pan and fry eggplant on a
>medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place cooked pieces on a
>plate and set aside. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom of 8-inch
>baking pan. Layer 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 eggplant, and 1/2 cheese mixture.
>Repeat process once. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and grated mozzarella.
>Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into 4
>servings.

I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 14:11:10 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 2/5/2011 12:54 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > wrote:
>> : Might be good for Super Bowl. It was a recipe in the paper, but I took the
>> : lasagna noodles out. :-)
>>

>> : 1 1/2 cup Ricotta
>> : 8 oz. Mozzarella, diced
>> : 8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
>> : 2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
>> : 4 tsp Sundried Tomato Paste
>> : 2 tsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
>> : 2 tsp Oregano, dried
>> : 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
>> : 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
>> : 2 tbs Olive Oil
>> : 1 Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
>>
>> : Directions: : Preheat oven to 350?F. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce,
>> sundried tomato : paste, basil, oregano, and garlic. In another bowl,
>> blend ricotta, diced : mozzarella, and black pepper. Add olive oil to a
>> pan and fry eggplant on a : medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
>> Place cooked pieces on a : plate and set aside. Spread thin layer of
>> tomato sauce on bottom of 8-inch : baking pan. Layer 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2
>> eggplant, and 1/2 cheese mixture. : Repeat process once. Top with
>> remaining tomato sauce, and grated mozzarella. : Cover with aluminum foil.
>> Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into 4 : servings.
>>
>> I would, certainly add some grated Parmigian or romano cheese to the top
>> of that, as well as some more oregono for flavor. Mushrooms, sliced as a
>> layer or just added to the sauce woud also add to this.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

>I would peel the eggplant. I find that the peel can be tough in a lasagna.
>
>My market sells frozen long slices of grilled eggplant. I peel them and
>defrost them and use them instead of noodles. No frying as they are
>pre-grilled.

Dr. Oz says there are the best anti oxidants in the peel, so I never
peel them.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
: slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
: sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.

: Evelyn

Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it seems
to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly oon
the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat, either
oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
and, possible edification.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>

> : I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
> : slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
> : sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.
>
> : Evelyn
>
> Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
> baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it seems
> to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly oon
> the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
> frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat, either
> oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
> and, possible edification.
>
> Wendy

Yes, I've heard that's a common complaint with the sprays. I don't use the
sprays on my non-stick pans at all anymore.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:11:14 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
wrote:

>Evelyn > wrote:
>

>: I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
>: slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
>: sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.
>
>: Evelyn
>
>Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
>baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it seems
>to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly oon
>the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
>frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat, either
>oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
>and, possible edification.
>
>Wendy

You are right, Wendy. They tend to get too gummy.

Olive oil spray might be better, or just brush it on.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:34:01 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn > wrote:
>>

>> : I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
>> : slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
>> : sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.
>>
>> : Evelyn
>>
>> Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
>> baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it seems
>> to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly oon
>> the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
>> frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat, either
>> oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
>> and, possible edification.
>>
>> Wendy

>Yes, I've heard that's a common complaint with the sprays. I don't use the
>sprays on my non-stick pans at all anymore.
>
>Cheri

I never use it on nonstick surfaces, only on stainless steel.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:11:14 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
: wrote:

: >Evelyn > wrote:
: >
: >
[...]

That's what I do or else wipe it on with a paper towel when I forget I
have a brush-Senior moment as I hav enot had a brush for the wole 46 years
of my marriage:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn > wrote:
>>

>> : I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
>> : slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
>> : sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.
>>
>> : Evelyn
>>
>> Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
>> baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it seems
>> to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly
>> oon
>> the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
>> frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat, either
>> oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
>> and, possible edification.
>>
>> Wendy

> Yes, I've heard that's a common complaint with the sprays. I don't use the
> sprays on my non-stick pans at all anymore.

Someone on the food newsgroup said it was the soy lecithin that does it.
The high heat (maybe it's grilling?) Pam does not contain that. I have
bought some but haven't tried it yet. There is one other type of Pam that
doesn't have the soy lecithin but it has soybean oil so I didn't buy it. I
think the stuff I did buy does have soybean oil as well but it's in a mix of
oils. I probably won't use it much at all. But every once in a while
Angela will find some recipe that calls for it. Most of the time though I
find that a swipe of olive oil does just fine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:11:14 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
> : wrote:
>
> : >Evelyn > wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : >: I did an eggplant lasagna a couple of months ago and I baked the
> : >: slices on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with PAM, and then
> : >: sprayed the top of the eggplant slices too. It worked well.
> : >
> : >: Evelyn
> : >
> : >Somewhat change of subject. I hae stopped using Pam-typs sprays on my
> : >baking sheets and on my new non-stick frying pans as I found hat it
> seems
> : >to gunk up the surfaces adn does not cme off with waching(particularly
> oon
> : >the non-stick pans which can't be scrubbed). My now about 2 yer old
> : >frying pans are still like new and I do use a thin coaatng of fat,
> either
> : >oil or butter(for fried or scrambled eggs). I pass this on for comment
> : >and, possible edification.
> : >
> : >Wendy
>

> : You are right, Wendy. They tend to get too gummy.
>
> : Olive oil spray might be better, or just brush it on.
>
> : Evelyn
>
> That's what I do or else wipe it on with a paper towel when I forget I
> have a brush-Senior moment as I hav enot had a brush for the wole 46 years
> of my marriage:-)

I have bought a few brushes over the years but they always get all gunky and
I can't get them clean. Paper towels or even my clean fingers work well for
me.

Eggplant Lasagna sf[_9_] General Cooking 15 14-08-2010 04:14 PM
Roasted Eggplant Lasagna [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 12-04-2009 06:25 PM
Eggplant Lasagna Recipes (moderated) 0 12-08-2005 04:06 AM
Eggplant Lasagna (2) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2004 04:16 AM