Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant moussaka

Not giving any measures here except for the cheese sauce:

Heat oven to 225 C

Lightly fry chopped onion in butter, don't let the onion change color,
add a clove of garlic, chopped, then add ground meat (whatever suits your
taste) and brown it. Add oregano, salt and pepper and set aside.

Add oil to skillet and in hot oil fry eggplant slices - do not salt them
first!

Cheese sauce: lightly beat 2 eggs, mix well with ½ cup mayonnaise and 1
cup shredded, fat and flavorful cheese.

Spread meat sauce over eggplant slices, top with cheese sauce and bake(?
terminology?) for about 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Made it for dinner yesterday, surprised at how easy and quick it was to
make.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Not giving any measures here except for the cheese sauce:

: Heat oven to 225 C

: Lightly fry chopped onion in butter, don't let the onion change color,
: add a clove of garlic, chopped, then add ground meat (whatever suits your
: taste) and brown it. Add oregano, salt and pepper and set aside.

: Add oil to skillet and in hot oil fry eggplant slices - do not salt them
: first!

: Cheese sauce: lightly beat 2 eggs, mix well with ? cup mayonnaise and 1
: cup shredded, fat and flavorful cheese.

: Spread meat sauce over eggplant slices, top with cheese sauce and bake(?
: terminology?) for about 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.

: Made it for dinner yesterday, surprised at how easy and quick it was to
: make.

I have used several recipes for moussaka, and note that they usuall call
for cinnamon as part of the spice mix. Counterintuitive to most of us,
but it adds a nice touch. I usually just microwave the eggplant slices
until soft rather than frying them. I make a soy milk cream sauce,
rather than a cheese one for he top. but that is for kosher reasons.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

could you tell me how you make the cream sauce with the SM was just
wondering the other day if i could do that, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Not giving any measures here except for the cheese sauce:
>
> : Heat oven to 225 C
>
> : Lightly fry chopped onion in butter, don't let the onion change color,
> : add a clove of garlic, chopped, then add ground meat (whatever suits
> your
> : taste) and brown it. Add oregano, salt and pepper and set aside.
>
> : Add oil to skillet and in hot oil fry eggplant slices - do not salt them
> : first!
>
> : Cheese sauce: lightly beat 2 eggs, mix well with ? cup mayonnaise and 1
> : cup shredded, fat and flavorful cheese.
>
> : Spread meat sauce over eggplant slices, top with cheese sauce and bake(?
> : terminology?) for about 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
>
> : Made it for dinner yesterday, surprised at how easy and quick it was to
> : make.
>
> I have used several recipes for moussaka, and note that they usuall call
> for cinnamon as part of the spice mix. Counterintuitive to most of us,
> but it adds a nice touch. I usually just microwave the eggplant slices
> until soft rather than frying them. I make a soy milk cream sauce,
> rather than a cheese one for he top. but that is for kosher reasons.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: could you tell me how you make the cream sauce with the SM was just
: wondering the other day if i could do that, Lee
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message

Essentially, I just one to one substitute it for that the recipe calls
for. make a roux with flour and fat(not butter in my case) and add soy
(or rice) milk, mixing with a whisk constatnly to avoid lumps. ove
lowered heat until it reaches desired thickness. season to taste(salt,
freshly grond place pepper, herbs like oregono, top meat and eggplant with
sauce and bake.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, , i have a friend who is/has recently become dairy intolerant so
this will help alot, Lee

moussaka Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 17 18-08-2009 06:57 PM
Moussaka Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 0 18-08-2009 05:37 PM
Greek Eggplant Casserole (Moussaka) Mom2SamTiny[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 28-05-2007 07:22 PM
Moussaka chef_rwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:42 AM
Sweating eggplant & gender of eggplant Dee Randall General Cooking 10 11-01-2004 09:46 PM