Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Here

Can someone please tell me if Yoplait Light Yogurt is OK for a diabetic?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kate" > wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me if Yoplait Light Yogurt is OK for a diabetic?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Kate

Sure! All food is fine for diabetics. But... As I said to you in my other
reply on alt.support.diabetic, you really need a consult with a dietician.
And you need a meter. And an endocrinologist.

Now here's the problem... Carbs raise BG (blood glucose). So we have to be
mindful of all carbs that we eat. I don't personally eat yogurt. I don't
like the stuff. My daughter does. I will go check and see what kind she
has.

She just happens to have Yoplait Light. Three different flavors. What she
has, has either 19 or 20g of carbs per container. I haven't a clue how many
carbs is in what you want to eat. A serving of carbs for a diabetic is 15g
of carbs. Now that doesn't mean you personally will be able to eat a whole
serving per meal or snack or whatever. But it also doesn't mean you can't.
And it doesn't mean you can't eat more than that. The serving size is used
to help you determine how much you can eat at a meal, or snack. But since
you don't have a meter, you can't test your BG before and after eating. So
you won't know if one container or even half a container will work for you!

Some people here eat Greek yogurt. It is lower in carbs. Or they eat
plain, unflavored yogurt. Also lower in carbs. Some people eat it plain.
Some eat it with a few berries mixed in. Although berries do contain carbs,
as fruits go, they seem to have less of them than other fruits when eaten in
the same quantity. For instance, a 1/2 cup of blueberries will have less
carbs than 1/2 a cup of banana slices.

I know it would be easy if there were some sort of chart that said which
foods diabetics should eat and which ones they shouldn't. Alas, there
really isn't such a thing. Although for the most part, regular sweets
generally shouldn't be consumed on a daily basis. With some exceptions.
Really dark chocolate, such as 70% cocoa or more is usually safe to consume
daily so long as you limit yourself to a small square. Alas, it messes with
my GERD so I can't eat it for that reason. But most Drs. consider that type
of chocolate to be a healthy thing. It's loaded with antioxidants.

If you really like sweets, you might be able to find a way to work a small
portion into your diet on special occasions. This might meal forgoing your
starch with your meal. Like giving up the potatoes, pasta, peas, rice,
bread, etc. Me? I don't love most sweets so living without them isn't a
big deal.

For now, get into the habit of reading nutrition labels to see how many
carbs you are consuming. many people tend to focus on calories and low fat
foods. They are used to doing that because they've been trying to lose
weight. And it could be that type of diet does work for you if you are
trying to lose weight. But if you are a diabetic, there is more to it.

One thing I didn't mention before is that fat delays the absorption of
carbs. So some fat is a good thing. Too much fat in a meal can be a bad
thing. Some of us refer to this as the pizza effect because pizza is
notorious for causing this.

You eat some pizza. Two hours later, you test your BG. It's low. So you
eat some candy to bring your BG back up into range. Then an hour or so
later, *wham* the carbs from the pizza hit your system and suddenly you have
high BG!

Now fat eaten in and of itself or with just protein or low carb veggies
isn't going to do this to you. It's only when you take in more carbs than
your body can safely handle along with too much fat that can cause this.

Pizza is not necessarily a bad thing either. It's really a complete food.
But if you are going to eat it, you may have to limit yourself to one slice
with a thin crust and just cheese or cheese and vegetable toppings. Or
perhaps just one kind of meat. I should think the worst case scenario for a
diabetic would be several slices of a thick crust pizza that is loaded with
fatty meats! Another option if you are still hungry is to peel the toppings
off and eat them but forgo the crust on that second slice. And adding a
salad or other non-starchy veggies is always a good idea.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate > wrote:
: Can someone please tell me if Yoplait Light Yogurt is OK for a diabetic?

: Many thanks.

: Kate
The short answer is plain yogurt shudl be fine. If you like flavord, add
soem berries or something like cinnamon and artificial sweetener of your
choiceI personally use eithe splenda or Equal(or generics fof same). At
you stage of pre-pre diabetes(my coinage) just avoid the aded sugar stuff
as well as watching your starches, white or brown, but small amounts of
the brown tarches should be OK.

As you are not diabetic, you want to change your way of eatign
sufficiently to prevent your geting full-blown diabees. Weight gain
woould be a broblem as would stressing your beta cell in the
pancreas(thhese guys make the insulin youu need to handle changing your
carbohydrates into energy for the cells). To avoid that overloading yu
have to watch our intake of al kinds of carbohydrates like sugars adn
starches.

At your stage you can , certainly have fresh fruit for a dessert, but not
the same fruit baked in a pie. I think you get the idea.

Exercise will help, not only in weight control, but in helping your body
use its insulin well in dealing with the blood sugar in your body.

If you were a full-blown diabetic the restrictions on eating, etc would be
more strict. Right now you just need a little around the edges. Haveing
a blood glucose meter to use occasionally(not several times a day as well
controlled diabetics do) to see that your blood sugar(blood glcose-hence
bgs) in not jumping up wildly might be a good idea. It might be
interesting for you to see what happens if you eat a sugary desert so you
migh test aan hourr or less after eatign it and then at abouta 2 hours to
see if all is normal again. Curiosity about how your body handles
different foods might be an interest to cultivate, but constant regular
testing would be kind of overkill at this time as far as I am concerned.

Wendy