Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ginger Pot Roast

BlueBrooke > wrote:
: Ginger Pot Roast

: Notes: Based on Roger Mooking's Ginger Pot Roast. I don't use the
: ginger beer because (1) it was $5.00 for the two bottles and (2) it
: was pretty sweet. I just upped the chicken stock instead and it's
: awesome. Also, the first time I made it I didn't have the fennel
: seeds, either, and it was really good.

: Ginger Pot Roast
: 2 pounds pork roast
: 2 tbs oil
: 1 large onion, chopped
: 2 tbs ginger, smashed
: 4 cloves garlic, smashed
: 3 cinnamon sticks
: 1 tbs black peppercorns
: 1 tbs coriander seeds
: 1 tbs fennel seeds
: 1/2 tsp ground cumin
: 2 bay leaves
: 4 cups chicken stock
: 2 tbs molasses

: 1. Season pork roast with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides. Put
: all ingredients in crock pot, reserving 1 cup chicken stock.

: 2. Deglaze pan with chicken stock. Add to crock pot.

: 3. Cooking time is about 4 hours on high and about 6-8 hours on low.

: Servings: 8

: Cooking Times
: Preparation Time: 15 minutes
: Cooking Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes
: Total Time: 2 hours and 55 minutes

: Nutrition Facts
: Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (9.6 ounces).
: Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a
: 2000 calorie diet.
: Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

: Amount Per Serving
: Calories 227.95
: Calories From Fat (33%) 76.03
: % Daily Value
: Total Fat 8.56g 13%
: Saturated Fat 1.95g 10%
: Cholesterol 78.25mg 26%
: Sodium 468.89mg 20%
: Potassium 558.09mg 16%
: Total Carbohydrates 12.4g 4%
: Fiber 3.93g 16%
: Sugar 3.62g
: Protein 25.85g 52%
: MyPoints 6.06

I wonder where all the carbs in this recip come from as they only carby
tings are 2 Tbs of molasses and 1 onion. Perhaps the omitted ginder beer
makes some of the difference. Also, where is the fiber? Aside from 1
onion for 8 portions, there are no other vegetables, onlu lots of
spices. Am I missing something?

I might try something like this with a turkey thigh.

Wendy

Ginger Syrup and Candied Ginger Experiments - Part I Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 5 30-06-2011 08:42 PM
Ginger Pot Roast Janet Diabetic 1 20-09-2010 05:42 PM
Ginger [Guinness] Cake with Ginger-Cream Frosting [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-06-2005 01:37 AM
Ginger Icing (Cream Cheese Frosting with Candied Ginger) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2005 03:17 AM
REC: Apricot-ginger Glazed Pork Roast With Fruit Stuffing FREECYCLEMOM General Cooking 0 15-05-2005 03:33 PM