Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can't reply. Header too long.

This is frustrating! Sometimes I can reply in the Ellen's breakfast thread
and it works. Other times I can not reply. I am getting an error message
that the header is too long. Shortening the header does no good either. So
I don't know what the problem is. But it's probably with Eternal September.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Its happened to me a number of times with OE and Individual.net. I found
the only way to fix it was to start a new thread with same subject line
and paste in the bit I was replying to.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is frustrating! Sometimes I can reply in the Ellen's breakfast
> thread and it works. Other times I can not reply. I am getting an
> error message that the header is too long. Shortening the header does
> no good either. So I don't know what the problem is. But it's
> probably with Eternal September.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I bet it's the accented a (à) in "vis-à-vis" in the title, sorry your
newsreader doesn't like it.

You can reply here, I'll read it.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is frustrating! Sometimes I can reply in the Ellen's breakfast
> thread and it works. Other times I can not reply. I am getting an error
> message that the header is too long. Shortening the header does no good
> either. So I don't know what the problem is. But it's probably with
> Eternal September.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>I bet it's the accented a (à) in "vis-à-vis" in the title, sorry your
>>newsreader doesn't like it.
>>
>> You can reply here, I'll read it.

> Actually I can reply sometimes. That part doesn't make sense.

It might depend whose message you're trying to reply to, I see that some
people's newsreaders convert the à to a question mark, maybe the ones that
don't convert it are the ones to which you can't reply.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
news

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>>I bet it's the accented a (à) in "vis-à-vis" in the title, sorry your
>>>newsreader doesn't like it.
>>>
>>> You can reply here, I'll read it.

>> Actually I can reply sometimes. That part doesn't make sense.
>>

> It might depend whose message you're trying to reply to, I see that some
> people's newsreaders convert the à to a question mark, maybe the ones that
> don't convert it are the ones to which you can't reply.

Could be. I can't remember who I was replying to now or what I was trying
to say.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie, I ran into the problem you are having replying to messages
before. It isn't a new problem. I found this reference to it in
"INSIDE OUTLOOK EXPRESS"
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/error.htm#line3 Copy follows:

Malformed message ID: Line 3 References too long
This error message occurs when you reply to a deep thread in newsgroups.
Line 3 is the References header. It contains the message ID of every
message in the thread. When this line becomes too long, Outlook Express
adds a carriage return instead of removing some of the IDs in the
middle. This makes the last message ID invalid and so your reply is
blocked from being sent.
To work around this bug, save your reply to your desktop by clicking
Save as on the File menu. Open the saved *.eml file in Notepad and edit
line 3, References, by removing some of the message IDs in the middle.
Be sure to leave the first and last IDs so that your reply will thread
properly once it is posted. Saved your edited file, then double-click it
to open and click Send.
An alternate method is to save, not your reply, but the message to which
you want to reply. Edit the saved message to remove some of the message
IDs, save the changes, then open the edited file and click Reply.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wizzzer" > wrote in message
> Julie, I ran into the problem you are having replying to messages before.
> It isn't a new problem. I found this reference to it in "INSIDE OUTLOOK
> EXPRESS" http://www.insideoe.com/problems/error.htm#line3 Copy follows:
>
> Malformed message ID: Line 3 References too long
> This error message occurs when you reply to a deep thread in newsgroups.
> Line 3 is the References header. It contains the message ID of every
> message in the thread. When this line becomes too long, Outlook Express
> adds a carriage return instead of removing some of the IDs in the middle.
> This makes the last message ID invalid and so your reply is blocked from
> being sent.
> To work around this bug, save your reply to your desktop by clicking Save
> as on the File menu. Open the saved *.eml file in Notepad and edit line 3,
> References, by removing some of the message IDs in the middle. Be sure to
> leave the first and last IDs so that your reply will thread properly once
> it is posted. Saved your edited file, then double-click it to open and
> click Send.
> An alternate method is to save, not your reply, but the message to which
> you want to reply. Edit the saved message to remove some of the message
> IDs, save the changes, then open the edited file and click Reply.

Yikes! That sounds like a pain. I'd just as soon not reply.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was thinking starting a new thread would be less work, guess i am just
lazy, Lee