Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Olives

I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like are
those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed with
jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos. Before I
knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the ones
stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with blue
cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks off-putting
to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them if I tried
them.

Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
discover a pit. Yowch!

What are your favorite olives?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed
> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos.
> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the
> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with
> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them
> if I tried them.
>
> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
> discover a pit. Yowch!
>
> What are your favorite olives?

I love olives, Julie. Green, black or red. Pitted or unpitted (as long as I
know what to expect). Those Calamatas are the best! Any stuffing OK;
garlic, chile, cheese, almond. But only pimento stuffed large green in a
Martini!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
>> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed
>> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos.
>> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the
>> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with
>> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
>> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them
>> if I tried them.
>>
>> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
>> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
>> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
>> discover a pit. Yowch!
>>
>> What are your favorite olives?

> I love olives, Julie. Green, black or red. Pitted or unpitted (as long as
> know what to expect). Those Calamatas are the best! Any stuffing OK;
> garlic, chile, cheese, almond. But only pimento stuffed large green in a
> Martini!

I like the almond stuffed green olives best.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love them all, oh except the ones you said you disliked, they are sort
of wrinkly? I love large, plump black olives best. From the deli. I hate
olives from jars.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't
> like are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones
> stuffed with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love
> jalapenos. Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those.
> And I like the ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the
> ones stuffed with blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese.
> It just looks off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so
> probably would like them if I tried them.
>
> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot
> of those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they
> are there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite
> down and discover a pit. Yowch!
>
> What are your favorite olives?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed
> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos.
> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the
> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with
> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them
> if I tried them.
>
> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
> discover a pit. Yowch!
>
> What are your favorite olives?

I love the black kalamata olives with the pits in them. The pitted ones
lose something of their flavor. I don't like any kind of olives that have
stuffing in them, or herbs, or cheese or any of that. Just like the plain
ones.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
>> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed
>> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos.
>> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the
>> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with
>> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
>> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them
>> if I tried them.
>>
>> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
>> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
>> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
>> discover a pit. Yowch!
>>
>> What are your favorite olives?

> I love olives, Julie. Green, black or red. Pitted or unpitted (as long as
> know what to expect). Those Calamatas are the best! Any stuffing OK;
> garlic, chile, cheese, almond. But only pimento stuffed large green in a
> Martini!

Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty one.
As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice from the green
olives. Yum!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I love them all, oh except the ones you said you disliked, they are sort of
>wrinkly? I love large, plump black olives best. From the deli. I hate
>olives from jars.

Yeah. Wrinkly. We used to eat at some Greek place in the U Dist. when I
was a kid. They always served those olives with the food. I didn't like
the food that I got, but... I didn't know anything about Greek food so my
parents always ordered for me and it was always Souvlaki. I didn't like
that at all. Had I known about Pastichio or Hummus, I would have had that.
I did love the Baklava.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:43:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
>>are
>>those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed with
>>jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos. Before
>>knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the ones
>>stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with blue
>>cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks off-putting
>>to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them if I tried
>>them.
>>
>>Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
>>those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
>>there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
>>discover a pit. Yowch!
>>
>>What are your favorite olives?

> I like them all, but my favourites are simple Spanish whole green
> un-pitted olives. I buy them stored in brine in jars from the
> supermarket and add some chopped very hot bird's eye chili to the
> brine to give them some heat.
>
> Sometimes I also add things like onion and herbs to the marinade for
> variety.
>
> One advantage of un-pitted olives is that they take a bit longer to
> nibble as a snack, so I don't eat them to excess.
>
> One of my favourite snacks is a small plate of half-a-dozen olives, a
> similar number of cubes of cheddar and some slices of pickled gherkin.
>
> After the green ones, black kalamata olives are next on my favourites
> list.

Yeah. That's one reason why I like the ones with the pits in them for a
snack. But if I'm eating them in a salad, it's easier to eat them with no
pits.

One thing I remember as a kid was that mostly the ones you would get in a
restaurant had the pit in them. Perhaps the pitted ones were less common in
those days?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like
>> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed
>> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos.
>> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the
>> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with
>> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
>> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them
>> if I tried them.
>>
>> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
>> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
>> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
>> discover a pit. Yowch!
>>
>> What are your favorite olives?

> I love the black kalamata olives with the pits in them. The pitted ones
> lose something of their flavor. I don't like any kind of olives that
> have stuffing in them, or herbs, or cheese or any of that. Just like
> the plain ones.

I love Kalamata, but don't get them very often because they are more
expensive. I do love a good Greek salad!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't
>>> like
>>> are those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones
>>> stuffed
>>> with jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love
>>> jalapenos.
>>> Before I knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I
>>> like the
>>> ones stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed
>>> with
>>> blue cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks
>>> off-putting to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like
>>> them
>>> if I tried them.
>>>
>>> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot
>>> of
>>> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they
>>> are
>>> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down
>>> and
>>> discover a pit. Yowch!
>>>
>>> What are your favorite olives?

>> I love olives, Julie. Green, black or red. Pitted or unpitted (as
>> long as I
>> know what to expect). Those Calamatas are the best! Any stuffing OK;
>> garlic, chile, cheese, almond. But only pimento stuffed large green
>> in a
>> Martini!

> Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty
> one. As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice
> from the green olives. Yum!

lol, my daughter went to snack on some black olives the other day and
commented there was no juice.... I had stuffed some chicken breasts a
few days ago with some ricotta mixed with cooked shallots, onions,
garlic, red peppers and chopped tomatoes. It was missing something
though so I poured the olive juice into the mix Next time I think I
will go for the feta, spinach stuffing. I liked what I made but it
wasn't my first choice. My daughter had put the ricotta in the shopping
trolley for the chicken stuffing so I had to use it. I was thinking sun
dried tomatoes too but I think my boys don't like so might have to do
some without the tomato.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 14/08/2010 1:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> One thing I remember as a kid was that mostly the ones you would get in a
> restaurant had the pit in them. Perhaps the pitted ones were less common in
> those days?

After breaking a tooth on a pit I only buy pitted ones, cant afford to
lose another tooth :-)
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I love olives, Julie. Green, black or red. Pitted or unpitted (as long
>>> as I
>>> know what to expect). Those Calamatas are the best! Any stuffing OK;
>>> garlic, chile, cheese, almond. But only pimento stuffed large green in a
>>> Martini!

>> Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty
>> one. As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice from
>> the green olives. Yum!

> lol, my daughter went to snack on some black olives the other day and
> commented there was no juice.... I had stuffed some chicken breasts a
> few days ago with some ricotta mixed with cooked shallots, onions, garlic,
> red peppers and chopped tomatoes. It was missing something though so I
> poured the olive juice into the mix Next time I think I will go for the
> feta, spinach stuffing. I liked what I made but it wasn't my first choice.
> My daughter had put the ricotta in the shopping trolley for the chicken
> stuffing so I had to use it. I was thinking sun dried tomatoes too but I
> think my boys don't like so might have to do some without the tomato.

I've tried repeatedly to put sun dried tomatoes in things. Nobody likes
them but me. I can sneak a few into a sauce if I puree it really well.
Angela will eat pasta sauce, pico de gallo, salsa and ketchup. Also tomato
soup. But no other tomatoes in any form.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 14/08/2010 1:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> One thing I remember as a kid was that mostly the ones you would get in a
>> restaurant had the pit in them. Perhaps the pitted ones were less common
>> in
>> those days?
>>

> After breaking a tooth on a pit I only buy pitted ones, cant afford to
> lose another tooth :-)

Yeah!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty
> one. As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice from
> the green olives. Yum!

My Saturday night special:

Here's how I've been doing them for the last decade or five:

You need a quality Gin (I use Tanqueray - cheaper Gins are OK for Sloe Gin
Fizz or Gin & Tonic, although Beefeater or Bombay is about my limit, and
they're excellent, too), a quality Dry Vermouth (I use Martini & Rossi or
Cinzano, but there are also some fine French and Californias, too) and
TIMING. I can't stress the latter enough. If you don't bring the alcohol
content down to 35% abv or slightly less (to taste), it will be too strong
and taste too much of alcohol. The same goes with Manhattans, by the way. I
sequence the building of the drink(s) as follows:

Put the glasses in the freezer. Fill the mixing vessel with ice enough to
cover the amount of beverage you'll be making. Add about 3-1/2 oz (7 second
pour) of Gin/drink. Swirl gently for a few seconds. Remove the Dry Vermouth
from the 'fridge and add one capful (1 or 2 tsp?)/drink. Swirl briefly.
Replace the Vermouth to the 'fridge and get out the bottle of pimento
stuffed largest olives you could buy. Get out some hardwood toothpicks.
Spear one olive/drink, two if your serving Martinis Rocks (blasphemy! I
don't want ice cubes to continue diluting my drink as I'm sipping it!).
Remove the glasses from the freezer and put the olives in them. Gently stir
(never shake - that bruises the Gin and puts air bubbles in a drink that
should be clear) and strain into the glasses. Kiss, toast, sip, enjoy.
Repeat as necessary. You may have to experiment to get the ratios to your
liking, but that's the price of progress. Please let me know what you end
up with.

Confucius say: Martinis are like breasts; one isn't enough and three is too
many!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty
>> one. As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice from
>> the green olives. Yum!

> My Saturday night special:
>
> Here's how I've been doing them for the last decade or five:
>
> You need a quality Gin (I use Tanqueray - cheaper Gins are OK for Sloe Gin
> Fizz or Gin & Tonic, although Beefeater or Bombay is about my limit, and
> they're excellent, too), a quality Dry Vermouth (I use Martini & Rossi or
> Cinzano, but there are also some fine French and Californias, too) and
> TIMING. I can't stress the latter enough. If you don't bring the alcohol
> content down to 35% abv or slightly less (to taste), it will be too strong
> and taste too much of alcohol. The same goes with Manhattans, by the way.
> sequence the building of the drink(s) as follows:
>
> Put the glasses in the freezer. Fill the mixing vessel with ice enough to
> cover the amount of beverage you'll be making. Add about 3-1/2 oz (7
> second
> pour) of Gin/drink. Swirl gently for a few seconds. Remove the Dry
> Vermouth
> from the 'fridge and add one capful (1 or 2 tsp?)/drink. Swirl briefly.
> Replace the Vermouth to the 'fridge and get out the bottle of pimento
> stuffed largest olives you could buy. Get out some hardwood toothpicks.
> Spear one olive/drink, two if your serving Martinis Rocks (blasphemy! I
> don't want ice cubes to continue diluting my drink as I'm sipping it!).
> Remove the glasses from the freezer and put the olives in them. Gently
> stir
> (never shake - that bruises the Gin and puts air bubbles in a drink that
> should be clear) and strain into the glasses. Kiss, toast, sip, enjoy.
> Repeat as necessary. You may have to experiment to get the ratios to your
> liking, but that's the price of progress. Please let me know what you end
> up with.
>
> Confucius say: Martinis are like breasts; one isn't enough and three is
> too
> many!

Well, since I can't drink, I won't be having any. But thanks anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Oooh. I haven't had a Martini in years. I know I would like a dirty
> >> one. As a kid (and sometimes as an adult), I would drink the juice
> >> from the green olives. Yum!

> > My Saturday night special:
> >
> > Here's how I've been doing them for the last decade or five:
> >[]

> Well, since I can't drink, I won't be having any. But thanks anyway.

I'll toast one in your honor tomorrow night, Julie.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
: On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:43:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"

: One advantage of un-pitted olives is that they take a bit longer to
: nibble as a snack, so I don't eat them to excess.

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

I had a nasty experience with a Greek salad a few years ago. In unpitted
kalamata was hiding under a lettuce leaf and I broke one of my front teeth
on it. had to have root canal, ost and then fake tooth. I now order m
Greek salad with the olives in a side dish.

I also love most olives, especially the salty, briny kind.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >
>> > My Saturday night special:
>> >
>> > Here's how I've been doing them for the last decade or five:
>> >[]

>> Well, since I can't drink, I won't be having any. But thanks anyway.

> I'll toast one in your honor tomorrow night, Julie.

Okay..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 06:47:33 +0000, Nick Cramer wrote:

>> > My Saturday night special:

Doc Webster goes into Callahan's Place and orders his usual daiquiri. Tom
the barman mixes one, but instead of putting a lime slice on the glass,
he spears the lime slice on a wooden toothpick and drops it in the drink.
Doc, outraged: "What's that??"
Tom, calmly: "Why, a hickory daiquiri, Doc!"
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Steensrud > wrote:

> Doc Webster goes into Callahan's Place and orders his usual daiquiri. Tom
> the barman mixes one, but instead of putting a lime slice on the glass,
> he spears the lime slice on a wooden toothpick and drops it in the drink.
> Doc, outraged: "What's that??"
> Tom, calmly: "Why, a hickory daiquiri, Doc!"

<groan>

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:15:25 +0000, Nick Cramer wrote:

> Steensrud > wrote:

>> Doc Webster goes into Callahan's Place and orders his usual daiquiri.
>> Tom the barman mixes one, but instead of putting a lime slice on the
>> glass, he spears the lime slice on a wooden toothpick and drops it in
>> the drink. Doc, outraged: "What's that??"
>> Tom, calmly: "Why, a hickory daiquiri, Doc!"

> <groan>

Thank you. "The beauty of a pun is in the 'Oy' of the beholder."
All of this by Spider Robinson, q.v.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have never met an olive i didn't like, even the blue cheese ones are good
provided the cheese isn't extremely strong, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I just love olives. Most all kinds. The only ones I really don't like are
>those Greek ones that look like a large Raisin, and the ones stuffed with
>jalapenos. Odd that I don't like those because I love jalapenos. Before I
>knew of my almond allergy, I used to love those. And I like the ones
>stuffed with cheese, although I never tried the ones stuffed with blue
>cheese. Actually I've never tried blue cheese. It just looks off-putting
>to me. But I do like most cheese so probably would like them if I tried
>them.
>
> Angela only likes...er...loves pitted black olives. So we get a lot of
> those in our house. I don't mind the pits, provided I realize they are
> there. I have bought pitted kalamatta ones before only to bite down and
> discover a pit. Yowch!
>
> What are your favorite olives?

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove View Post
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove"
wrote:
[ . . . ]
[...]

I have noticed that myself. And Angela seems to be a lot hungrier as well!
Today it reached 97 here in Bothell. That's pretty unusual. We were out
and near a store where I knew I needed to buy something.
Member

olives are best
i like most olives
electric cigarette

Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
Olives Blinky the Shark General Cooking 71 19-06-2007 04:15 AM
Olives Anny Middon Preserving 3 02-04-2007 11:46 PM
Olives Charles Gifford General Cooking 2 30-09-2003 08:38 AM