Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chicken Vesuvio

I had never heard of this before, but got the Cook's Illustrated Cooking For
Two (magazine) and there was a modified recipe in there for it. Apparently
it is popular in Chicago and is usually done in the oven. The modification
is that it is done in a skillet. And it's also done with boneless, skinless
chicken breasts so it cooks quicker. Normally it is bone in chicken pieces
with potatoes and peas.

I made the recipe tonight using chicken cutlets because I didn't feel like
pounding out the breasts to 1/2" thickness like the recipe said to do. I
also left out the peas because Angela is allergic. I am also tempting fate
because the recipe called for dry white wine. The Dr. told me I shouldn't
have alcohol because of the fatty liver. But dang! It gives such a good
flavor. I also discovered that I had no rosemary. The recipe called for
that and oregano. So I used Italian seasoning with a little added oregano.
And I used sweet rice flour instead of regular flour. I also used Nucoa
(margarine) instead of butter. And I realize now I didn't use the exact
proportions of lemon juice and butter. I used half what they called for
since I doubled the recipe.

I had doubled the recipe thinking we could have it again. And perhaps
Angela can have it again. She liked it so much she went back for more. So
there is probably not enough left for the two of us.

I won't post the actual recipe because you can probably easily buy the
magazine if you want it. But I will tell you what I did.

Put some flour on a plate. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then
lightly dredge in the flour. Heat a small amount of olive oil to smoking,
then brown chicken on both sides. This didn't take very long with the
cutlets. Put browned chicken on a plate, then wipe out skillet with paper
towels.

Cut some washed red potatoes into 1" chunks. I used 6. Two were kind of
big and the others medium sized. Add more oil to the skillet and cook until
brown. Recipe said this would take 7 minutes but it took longer in my case.
Perhaps because I doubled the recipe.

Add your fragrant ingredients. In my case Italian seasoning and oregano.
Also some garlic. Also more salt and pepper. Heat through until you can
smell the spices. About 30 seconds.

Then deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine and about a cup of chicken
broth.

Then add the chicken back to the pan. Cover and cook more on medium low
heat. Recipe said 12 to 18 minutes, turning halfway. I didn't have to cook
it for quite that long because the cutlets were small.

Recipe also said to remove the chicken to a serving platter and cover with a
tent of foil to keep warm, then cook until the potatoes were soft and sauce
was thickened. At this point the potatoes were done and what little sauce
there was, was thick.

Take the potatoes out of the pan and turn off the heat. Add 2 Tablespoons
butter or margarine and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Pour the sauce over.

I would think you could do this with broccoli or cauliflower instead of the
potatoes, but obviously you wouldn't want to brown those. Those would
probably cook in just a few minutes unless you like yours really soft. I
think this would be good with summer squash as well. The flavor is out of
this world!

I don't usually cook things with sauces. But this was really easy since it
was all done in one pan. And even though I am not a fan of chicken, I did
like this!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> <snip>
>> The Dr. told me I shouldn't
>>have alcohol because of the fatty liver. But dang! It gives such a good
>>flavor.

> <snip>
>>
>>Then deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine and about a cup of
>>chicken
>>broth.
>>
>>Then add the chicken back to the pan. Cover and cook more on medium low
>>heat. Recipe said 12 to 18 minutes, turning halfway. I didn't have to
>>cook
>>it for quite that long because the cutlets were small.

> The amount of alcohol remaining from a 1/2 cup after being used for
> deglazing and then cooking for more than ten minutes would be
> negligible. I doubt your doctor would be concerned if you showed him
> the recipe.
>
> Sounds good; my only problem is that I rarely have white wine in the
> house, only reds, so I tend more towards coq-au-vin or beef burgundy.

I never have any wine in the house. Luckily I found a little four pack with
each bottle being a cup. And it wasn't very expensive.

I used to always put red wine in my pot roast and I made a yummy cheese,
vegetable and pasta casserole with red wine in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and you can
completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am bummed because
i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a post so i can save
it and read it? thanks, Lee...

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> a tent of foil to keep warm, then cook until the potatoes were soft and
> sauce was thickened. At this point the potatoes were done and what little
> sauce there was, was thick.
>
> Take the potatoes out of the pan and turn off the heat. Add 2 Tablespoons
> butter or margarine and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Pour the sauce over.
>
> I would think you could do this with broccoli or cauliflower instead of
> the potatoes, but obviously you wouldn't want to brown those. Those would
> probably cook in just a few minutes unless you like yours really soft. I
> think this would be good with summer squash as well. The flavor is out of
> this world!
>
> I don't usually cook things with sauces. But this was really easy since
> it was all done in one pan. And even though I am not a fan of chicken, I

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and you
> can completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am bummed
> because i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a post so i
> can save it and read it? thanks, Lee...

Sorry, I don't feel like typing it all the way out. The instructions were
really long.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message

> > chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and
> > you can completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am
> > bummed because i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a
> > post so i can save it and read it? thanks, Lee...

> Stormee go to Cooks.com. There are several versions of the recipe
> there. I am going to try it as it sounds very good.
>
> Thanks Julie for sharing it.
>
> It is similar to my chicken cacciatore recipe, which I will copy and
> paste here. I include the traditional baked version as well as a
> crockpot version below.
>
> CHICKEN CACCIATORE
>[ . . . ]
>
> Crock pot version (serves 2 generously)
>[ . . . ]

My skillet 'version':

Chicken Cacciatore - Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

Marinara Sauce:

1/4 cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (28-ounce) cans whole Italian tomatoes (San Marzano Romas recommended)

Chicken:

1 whole 3- to 4-pound chicken
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil (do not use extra-virgin olive oil)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/3 cup dry Marsala
2 to 4 cups Marinara Sauce from above
½ to 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
15 to 20 pitted gaeta olives (substitute kalamata olives if gaeta are
unavailable)
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped

Instructions

To make sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the
garlic and cook until soft. Add the parsley, basil and red pepper flakes
and heat to release flavors, about 10 seconds.

Drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes and reserve. Crush the tomatoes
with your hands and add to the garlic mixture. Add the reserved juice and
bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, but do not let the
sauce reduce or overcook. Refrigerate until needed. Makes 6 cups.

To make chicken: Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and season with salt and
pepper. Over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet large enough
to hold the chicken pieces without crowding. When the oil is hot, carefully
add the chicken pieces, being careful as it will splatter. Brown the
chicken on both sides and remove from the pan. Add the onion and cook for 1
to 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Drain off the oil and add the chicken back to the pan. Add the wine and
cook over high heat, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan,
until reduced by half.

Add 2 cups of the Marinara Sauce. Use 4 cups if needing extra sauce for a
side dish of pasta. (Freeze any remaining sauce.) Reduce heat and gently
simmer for about 30 minutes, turning chicken pieces once or twice. Add the
mushrooms, olives and basil and continue simmering for 15 minutes more.
Turn off heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Skim fat from the surface. Taste
and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.

NOTE: If using dried mushrooms, add the soaking water to the marinara and
reduce only enough to compensate.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and you
>> can completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am bummed
>> because i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a post so
>> i can save it and read it? thanks, Lee...

Lee, got this from cooks.com. This version doesn't look too complicated or
difficult.

CHICKEN VESUVIO

1 broiler fryer chicken, or parts, cut into serving sized pieces
1/2 c. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely minced, or to taste
2 Idaho potatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano (basil)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lemon

Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
Combine oil and garlic and pour into large, shallow roasting pan, about 10
by 13 inches.
Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down, on oil.
Arrange potatoes wedges in pan, coat with oil.
Sprinkle on basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in preheated 400 degree
oven for 1 hour, turning chicken and potatoes over after 30 minutes.
Before serving, cut lemon into wedges and squeeze on lemon juice.
Makes 3 servings.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Drain off the oil and add the chicken back to the pan. Add the wine and
> cook over high heat, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan,
> until reduced by half.
>
> Add 2 cups of the Marinara Sauce. Use 4 cups if needing extra sauce for a
> side dish of pasta. (Freeze any remaining sauce.) Reduce heat and gently
> simmer for about 30 minutes, turning chicken pieces once or twice. Add the
> mushrooms, olives and basil and continue simmering for 15 minutes more.
> Turn off heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Skim fat from the surface.
> Taste
> and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
>
> NOTE: If using dried mushrooms, add the soaking water to the marinara and
> reduce only enough to compensate.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

Thanks Nick. Giada DiLaurentis makes hers in a skillet also. I like
mine in the oven, partly because it is how I learned how to make it, but
also because it is so easy. Just put it all in a baking pan and put it in
the oven. The rest of the time you can spend cutting up salad, and doing
other things!

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and you
>>> can completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am bummed
>>> because i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a post so
>>> i can save it and read it? thanks, Lee...

> Lee, got this from cooks.com. This version doesn't look too complicated
> or difficult.
>
> CHICKEN VESUVIO
>
> 1 broiler fryer chicken, or parts, cut into serving sized pieces
> 1/2 c. olive oil
> 4 garlic cloves, finely minced, or to taste
> 2 Idaho potatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
> 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano (basil)
> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
> 1 lemon
>
> Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
> Combine oil and garlic and pour into large, shallow roasting pan, about 10
> by 13 inches.
> Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down, on oil.
> Arrange potatoes wedges in pan, coat with oil.
> Sprinkle on basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in preheated 400 degree
> oven for 1 hour, turning chicken and potatoes over after 30 minutes.
> Before serving, cut lemon into wedges and squeeze on lemon juice.
> Makes 3 servings.

Odd. That one doesn't have the peas in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> Lee, got this from cooks.com. This version doesn't look too complicated
>> or difficult.
>>
>> CHICKEN VESUVIO
>>
>> 1 broiler fryer chicken, or parts, cut into serving sized pieces
>> 1/2 c. olive oil
>> 4 garlic cloves, finely minced, or to taste
>> 2 Idaho potatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
>> 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano (basil)
>> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
>> 1 lemon
>>
>> Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
>> Combine oil and garlic and pour into large, shallow roasting pan, about
>> 10 by 13 inches.
>> Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down, on oil.
>> Arrange potatoes wedges in pan, coat with oil.
>> Sprinkle on basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in preheated 400
>> degree oven for 1 hour, turning chicken and potatoes over after 30
>> minutes.
>> Before serving, cut lemon into wedges and squeeze on lemon juice.
>> Makes 3 servings.

> Odd. That one doesn't have the peas in it.

They had several different versions on cooks.com. This one looked good and
easy too.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks so much, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> chicken is one of those meats that really is affected by cooking and you
>>> can completely change texture/taste by how it is prepared. i am bummed
>>> because i can't read this magizne, could you put the recipe in a post so
>>> i can save it and read it? thanks, Lee...

> Lee, got this from cooks.com. This version doesn't look too complicated
> or difficult.
>
> CHICKEN VESUVIO
>
> 1 broiler fryer chicken, or parts, cut into serving sized pieces
> 1/2 c. olive oil
> 4 garlic cloves, finely minced, or to taste
> 2 Idaho potatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
> 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano (basil)
> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
> 1 lemon
>
> Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
> Combine oil and garlic and pour into large, shallow roasting pan, about 10
> by 13 inches.
> Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down, on oil.
> Arrange potatoes wedges in pan, coat with oil.
> Sprinkle on basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in preheated 400 degree
> oven for 1 hour, turning chicken and potatoes over after 30 minutes.
> Before serving, cut lemon into wedges and squeeze on lemon juice.
> Makes 3 servings.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where
> one may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dh will be fine with that, he hates peas, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> Lee, got this from cooks.com. This version doesn't look too complicated
>> or difficult.
>>
>> CHICKEN VESUVIO
>>
>> 1 broiler fryer chicken, or parts, cut into serving sized pieces
>> 1/2 c. olive oil
>> 4 garlic cloves, finely minced, or to taste
>> 2 Idaho potatoes, each cut in 6 wedges
>> 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano (basil)
>> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
>> 1 lemon
>>
>> Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
>> Combine oil and garlic and pour into large, shallow roasting pan, about
>> 10 by 13 inches.
>> Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down, on oil.
>> Arrange potatoes wedges in pan, coat with oil.
>> Sprinkle on basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in preheated 400
>> degree oven for 1 hour, turning chicken and potatoes over after 30
>> minutes.
>> Before serving, cut lemon into wedges and squeeze on lemon juice.
>> Makes 3 servings.

> Odd. That one doesn't have the peas in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, we can do skillet here at the hotel, Lee
> [...]

> Drain off the oil and add the chicken back to the pan. Add the wine and
> cook over high heat, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan,
> until reduced by half.
>
> Add 2 cups of the Marinara Sauce. Use 4 cups if needing extra sauce for a
> side dish of pasta. (Freeze any remaining sauce.) Reduce heat and gently
> simmer for about 30 minutes, turning chicken pieces once or twice. Add the
> mushrooms, olives and basil and continue simmering for 15 minutes more.
> Turn off heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Skim fat from the surface.
> Taste
> and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
>
> NOTE: If using dried mushrooms, add the soaking water to the marinara and
> reduce only enough to compensate.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Good to see you back Lee.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> thanks i have saved this for when i once again own a crock pot and
> oven, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i am slowly but surely adding back news groups and a bit of
recreational reading, we are in a weird sort of routine that until recently
hasn't allowed for much of either, Lee