Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How many Carohydrates?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> What is the recommended limit of carbohydrates per meal and/or per day
> for a Type II diabetic?
>
> TIA

You got some good answers, Wayne. Knowing a little about how you
generally eat from your rfc postings, try cutting down to between 30 and
45 grams per meal. That will be a lot less than you are eating now.

I would strongly suggest you find a diabetes education class. Find one
that teaches carb counting. If anything it will help you better
understanding of the disease and how your body works.

BTW, though there is good advice here, but there is also highly
individualized advice, which includes web sites that support the
poster's personal methods of treating their own disease. This may work
just fine for the poster, but may not be what you need for Wayne (and
partner?) I'm just giving you a heads up.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

<<I would strongly suggest you find a diabetes education class. Find one
that teaches carb counting. If anything it will help you better
understanding of the disease and how your body works.

BTW, though there is good advice here, but there is also highly
individualized advice, which includes web sites that support the
poster's personal methods of treating their own disease. This may work
just fine for the poster, but may not be what you need for Wayne (and
partner?) I'm just giving you a heads up.>>

Wayne, speaking as a newly-diagnosed T2, I think that you will find that
there is a basic divide between people with diabetes who decided that they
are going to take matters into their own hands and work to control their
diabetes with diet and exercise and medication if need be, and diabetes
"educators" of various types who, although well-intentioned, a) genuinely
believe that the food pyramid is healthy for everyone, and b) do not believe
that anyone will actually abide by a low carb eating style, and c) accept
that a long slow slide into diabetic complications is inevitable. All with
the best of intentions, mind you.

I would suggest reading Gretchen Becker's book "Type 2 Diabetes: The First
Year." Check out David Mendosa's web site. Look around. You will find
nutcases and people with personal grudges who spend most of their time
complaining about mysterious cliques and people riding hobbyhorses, but you
will find rational, empowered people too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/2/2010 3:26 PM, Janet wrote:

> Wayne, speaking as a newly-diagnosed T2, I think that you will find that
> there is a basic divide between people with diabetes who decided that they
> are going to take matters into their own hands and work to control their
> diabetes with diet and exercise and medication if need be, and diabetes
> "educators" of various types who, although well-intentioned, a) genuinely
> believe that the food pyramid is healthy for everyone, and b) do not believe
> that anyone will actually abide by a low carb eating style, and c) accept
> that a long slow slide into diabetic complications is inevitable. All with
> the best of intentions, mind you.
>
> I would suggest reading Gretchen Becker's book "Type 2 Diabetes: The First
> Year." Check out David Mendosa's web site. Look around. You will find
> nutcases and people with personal grudges who spend most of their time
> complaining about mysterious cliques and people riding hobbyhorses, but you
> will find rational, empowered people too.

I so hope we won't start having the same crud going on here that goes on
in ASD.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:
>I so hope we won't start having the same crud going on here that goes on
>in ASD.

If you'll renounce your public adherence of low-carb dogma to the exclusion of
everything else, things will proceed smoothly.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How many Carbohydrates?

Alan S > wrote:
>Orlando, do us all a favour please.
>Just a polite request for a courtesy.
>If you want to enter the hurly-burly of the diabetes diet wars, it
>would be greatly appreciated if you would join us over on a.s.d to
>engage in battle. You will find allies and opponents and many between
>the opposing camps over there.

I have already set up an encampment there and am ready to rumble.

>There has been a tacit agreement over the years that we keep the diet
>wars off this group. Of course, that is unenforceable and occasionally
>the battles spill over from other groups to here. There will always be
>occasional comments or surprise at the suitability or otherwise of
>some recipes and foods for diabetics, but on the whole avoidance of
>the diet wars has been a policy that the majority have respected for
>quite a while.

I am happy to respect this policy and have not come down on either side.
Rather, I've advocated individual choice rather than an exclusionist definition
of which type of diabetic is worthy of posting here.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
>one of the points you might make to him is that you really want to do this
>for a very selfish reason... you want him around for a long time, Lee

Unfortunately, if he'd rather eat what he wants than be around for a miserably
long time, that tactic won't help. Although I don't yet need to monitor my
blood glucose, much less take insulin, I'm already grappling with the question
of balance between what I enjoy eating and what's good for my incipient
diabetes. Wayne's partner is going to have to make his own choices.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stormmee > wrote:
>>one of the points you might make to him is that you really want to do this
>>for a very selfish reason... you want him around for a long time, Lee

> Unfortunately, if he'd rather eat what he wants than be around for a
> miserably
> long time, that tactic won't help. Although I don't yet need to monitor my
> blood glucose, much less take insulin, I'm already grappling with the
> question
> of balance between what I enjoy eating and what's good for my incipient
> diabetes. Wayne's partner is going to have to make his own choices.

The only vegetable (yes I know it's really a grain) that my brother likes to
eat is corn. He does eat a lot of salads these days though. Perhaps not
his favorite food, but he eats them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 02 Aug 2010 11:05:40a, Janet Wilder told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> What is the recommended limit of carbohydrates per meal and/or
>>> per day for a Type II diabetic?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> You got some good answers, Wayne. Knowing a little about how you
>> generally eat from your rfc postings, try cutting down to between
>> 30 and 45 grams per meal. That will be a lot less than you are
>> eating now.

> Thanks, Janet. Actually, I wasn't totally clear about my question,
> as it relates more to my partner, David's diabetic management than to
> mine. My A1C averages 5.7 and my BG meter readings are generally
> within normal range. OTOH, David's is not. He is very inflexible
> and resistant to change, and I'm trying to convince him that he make
> a strong effort to control his eating.

You have to stop baking pies :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> Stormmee > wrote:
>> one of the points you might make to him is that you really want to do this
>> for a very selfish reason... you want him around for a long time, Lee

> Unfortunately, if he'd rather eat what he wants than be around for a miserably
> long time, that tactic won't help. Although I don't yet need to monitor my
> blood glucose, much less take insulin, I'm already grappling with the question
> of balance between what I enjoy eating and what's good for my incipient
> diabetes. Wayne's partner is going to have to make his own choices.

It is my understanding that every diabetic needs to monitor their
glucose. You should fire your doctor if you weren't told to check your
blood glucose.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> The only vegetable (yes I know it's really a grain) that my brother likes to
> eat is corn. He does eat a lot of salads these days though. Perhaps not
> his favorite food, but he eats them.

Corn, especially fresh corn does have a high fiber content and *some*
diabetics tolerate it quite well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> The only vegetable (yes I know it's really a grain) that my brother likes
>> to eat is corn. He does eat a lot of salads these days though. Perhaps
>> not his favorite food, but he eats them.

> Corn, especially fresh corn does have a high fiber content and *some*
> diabetics tolerate it quite well.

Yes. My point being, even though he doesn't like other vegetables, he does
eat them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message

>> The cinnamon? Raised my BG. And when taken at the suggested dose, after
>> while made everything I ate taste of cinnamon. I also reeked of it.

> I expectr you had the wrong type
> the Asian is quite bitter and should be sourced from non western shops
> it works for several here

What do you mean by "the Asian type"? There's Ceylon cinnamon, there's
Vietnamese cinnamon (my personal favorite: it has a high oil content and is
wonderfully aromatic), etc. When I've seens these recommendations for
cinammon for BG control, they never seem to state whether it is cassia bark
or "true" cinammon or whatever that they are recommending. And I've never
bothered to research it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
>It is my understanding that every diabetic needs to monitor their
>glucose. You should fire your doctor if you weren't told to check your
>blood glucose.

My last fasting glucose was 117 for which my Metforman has been doubled from
once a day to twice. My doctor hopes that will stabilize the situation.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:
>Yeah, especially after meals that make his parts feel "tingly."

Sugar makes my limbs tingle, which is why I eat it extremely rarely and in
small amounts. But thanks for the common sense tip.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>I can sometimes get David to eat a salad of just iceberg lettuce with
>a dressing. I need to take him down the salad dressing aisle and
>show him which ones would be acceptable. His own choice would not be
>a good one.

Do you realize what you're implying? If David can't even choose a healthier
salad dressing without you, what will he do each and every time he has an
opportunity to eat something previously unapproved by you? You're fighting a
losing battle if David doesn't want to change anything. You can beg, plead,
threaten, cajole and manipulate all you like, but he has to be ready to make
changes.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
: On Mon 02 Aug 2010 09:53:53p, Ozgirl told us...

: > What medication does David take? Who does the cooking? If its you,
: > is he open to eating what you put in front of him?

: He takes 10MG of glyburide and 1000MG metformin twice a day, as well
: as 37 units of insulin in the evening.

: No, he is not open to whatever I might want to cook. The list of
: foods he is willing to eat is very limited and, unfortunately, on the
: high carb side. As far as meat, he will eat chicken breast, beef,
: and pork chops, although that's not much of an issue. His limited
: vegetable list consists of peas, carrots, corn, and potatotes. As
: far as fruits, he will only eat applesauce (without added sugar), and
: canned peaches in fruit juice only. He's a disaster waiting to
: happen.

: He craves bread, pretzels, and desserts.

Can you get low carb breads, tortillas, pitas, etc.? That coul dhelp if
you lmit what is in the house to that. I don't knw where you live but in
the Northeaast, US we get pepperidge Farms and Arnold breads adn both make
a LOW CARB(not light) breads . there are several brands of low carb
wraps, pitas and tortillas you shoul dlook for. You can make fake pizza
wih a tortilla or pita, topping it with sauce adn cheese adn toasing it in
the oven. You could use artificial sweeteners adn things like sinnamon to
make swewet wrarps with some cotage cheese or ricotta . It will be
difficult if he doesn't want to cooperate and eat other foods,
particularly vegetables, but this might help.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
p: Janet Wilder > wrote:
: >It is my understanding that every diabetic needs to monitor their
: >glucose. You should fire your doctor if you weren't told to check your
: >blood glucose.

: My last fasting glucose was 117 for which my Metforman has been doubled from
: once a day to twice. My doctor hopes that will stabilize the situation.

: Orlando

It is best to keep it under 100, but at least under 110 to protect,
particularly, the eyes. Since you double the Met, what is your fastign
glucose? That i why you should test. No need to wait 3 months for a
docor visit. In addition you will also know if the med is working.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and you need to change your negativity, wayne came here for ideas to help
him help his partener, and if wayne is better educated at this point and his
partener is willing to learn then good on both of them, between this post
and your snipe about eating better and being miserable you are fast making
me reach my tolerance for your negativity, Lee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>I can sometimes get David to eat a salad of just iceberg lettuce with
>>a dressing. I need to take him down the salad dressing aisle and
>>show him which ones would be acceptable. His own choice would not be
>>a good one.

> Do you realize what you're implying? If David can't even choose a
> healthier
> salad dressing without you, what will he do each and every time he has an
> opportunity to eat something previously unapproved by you? You're fighting
> losing battle if David doesn't want to change anything. You can beg,
> plead,
> threaten, cajole and manipulate all you like, but he has to be ready to
> make
> changes.
>
> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>I can sometimes get David to eat a salad of just iceberg lettuce with
>>a dressing. I need to take him down the salad dressing aisle and
>>show him which ones would be acceptable. His own choice would not be
>>a good one.

> Do you realize what you're implying? If David can't even choose a
> healthier
> salad dressing without you, what will he do each and every time he has an
> opportunity to eat something previously unapproved by you? You're fighting
> losing battle if David doesn't want to change anything. You can beg,
> plead,
> threaten, cajole and manipulate all you like, but he has to be ready to
> make
> changes.

That's true too. But perhaps he is one of those people who doesn't want to
make any food choices. My husband is one of those. He will eat things like
chips, cookies, cake and ice cream pretty much round the clock. He doesn't
have diabetes. But when it comes to healthy food, he hasn't a clue and
would just rather someone else make that decision for him. He is in the
military so if he is eating in their dining facility, that choice has been
made for him. At home, I have to do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
>and you need to change your negativity, wayne came here for ideas to help
>him help his partener, and if wayne is better educated at this point and his
>partener is willing to learn then good on both of them, between this post
>and your snipe about eating better and being miserable you are fast making
>me reach my tolerance for your negativity, Lee

Life isn't always positive. Debate isn't always rosy and peachy. While I
applaud Wayne for caring so much about his partner that he wants to help him
live longer, I know how doomed his endeavor will be if David refuses to
cooperate. If I'm negative for pointing out a bitter truth, I'd rather be
negative and honest than positively deceptive.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee > wrote:
>and while it is true that he must make these changes if he sees it is
>important to you /your relationship and longetivity it might be a motivator,

Only time will tell how much of a motivator it will be, and Wayne needs to be
prepared for David's changes not sticking.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 03 Aug 2010 10:17:52a, Stormmee told us...
>
>> one of the points you might make to him is that you really want to
>> do this for a very selfish reason... you want him around for a
>> long time, Lee

> That's one of the tactics/arguments I've been making recently. I
> think he only half believes in the consequences of his behavior, but
> I've at least been able to raise some doubt in his mind.

This tactic does work. Many years ago when DH was not in such great
control, I made a deal with him. He would watch his carbs and I would
quit smoking. The deal included my right to start smoking again if his
eating went off track. My premise was "why live without him"

Faced with the health of both of us in his control, he really made a
strong commitment to watching his diet and he's kept it. (So have I)

Do you have a habit to trade, Wayne?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> It is my understanding that every diabetic needs to monitor their
>> glucose. You should fire your doctor if you weren't told to check your
>> blood glucose.

> My last fasting glucose was 117 for which my Metforman has been doubled from
> once a day to twice. My doctor hopes that will stabilize the situation.
>
> Orlando

Doesn't he test your A1C every 3 months?

Orlando, for your own health and future, you need to change doctors.
Increasing drugs is NOT the sole way to manage diabetes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:04:06 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> > wrote:
>
>>Stormmee > wrote:
>>>and you need to change your negativity, wayne came here for ideas to help
>>>him help his partener, and if wayne is better educated at this point and
>>>his
>>>partener is willing to learn then good on both of them, between this post
>>>and your snipe about eating better and being miserable you are fast
>>>making
>>>me reach my tolerance for your negativity, Lee

>>Life isn't always positive. Debate isn't always rosy and peachy. While I
>>applaud Wayne for caring so much about his partner that he wants to help
>>him
>>live longer, I know how doomed his endeavor will be if David refuses to
>>cooperate. If I'm negative for pointing out a bitter truth, I'd rather be
>>negative and honest than positively deceptive.
>>
>>Orlando

> I have to agree.
>
> One of the hardest posts to answer in every forum I am on is the plea
> for help from a spouse or partner.
>
> My usual advice is to try to get the spouse to read and post on the
> forum.
>
> Whatever method is used the important thing is to get the diabetic to
> care about their own health; there is no point in teaching them how to
> achieve better blood glucose control if they don't want to achieve it.

Yep. I am surrounded by diabetics who do not eat as I think they should. I
just have to bite my tongue. One is on insulin now and the other is looking
at insulin. So perhaps they will change.

But then... I am on insulin now at much of the time it doesn't seem to be
helping. Kind of makes me angry to see all the junk they are eating. I
think... Why am I being so staunch about my diet when it isn't seeming to
help all that much?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
>What do you hope?

I hope to get my blood glucose permanently below 100.

>Do you test after meals at your peak?

I don't test at all yet. I have no testing equipment and am totally blind from
birth, so I'm trying to avoid having to monitor and test for as long as
possible.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Alan S > wrote:
>>What do you hope?

> I hope to get my blood glucose permanently below 100.
>
>>Do you test after meals at your peak?

> I don't test at all yet. I have no testing equipment and am totally blind
> from
> birth, so I'm trying to avoid having to monitor and test for as long as
> possible.

Sorry, but if you have diabetes or even prediabetes, you have to test! They
do make talking meters.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> It is best to keep it under 100, but at least under 110 to protect,
> particularly, the eyes. Since you double the Met, what is your
> fastign glucose? That i why you should test. No need to wait 3
> months for a docor visit. In addition you will also know if the med
> is working.
>
> Wendy

According to my meter, my fasting BGs are usually under 110 now, but very
rarely under 100. Yet my HBA1C was 5.2. (I'm still wondering if they made a
mistake.) I can't imagine what I would have to do to get my fasting BG under
100 most of the time. Use insulin?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> It is best to keep it under 100, but at least under 110 to protect,
>> particularly, the eyes. Since you double the Met, what is your
>> fastign glucose? That i why you should test. No need to wait 3
>> months for a docor visit. In addition you will also know if the med
>> is working.
>>
>> Wendy

> According to my meter, my fasting BGs are usually under 110 now, but very
> rarely under 100. Yet my HBA1C was 5.2. (I'm still wondering if they made
> a mistake.) I can't imagine what I would have to do to get my fasting BG
> under 100 most of the time. Use insulin?

Janet, I have always had some degree of dawn phenomenon and it hasn't
affected my A1c's. I have always had A1c's between about 4.8 and 5.2.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> W. Baker wrote:
>>> It is best to keep it under 100, but at least under 110 to protect,
>>> particularly, the eyes. Since you double the Met, what is your
>>> fastign glucose? That i why you should test. No need to wait 3
>>> months for a docor visit. In addition you will also know if the med
>>> is working.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> According to my meter, my fasting BGs are usually under 110 now, but
>> very rarely under 100. Yet my HBA1C was 5.2. (I'm still wondering if
>> they made a mistake.) I can't imagine what I would have to do to get
>> my fasting BG under 100 most of the time. Use insulin?

> Janet, I have always had some degree of dawn phenomenon and it hasn't
> affected my A1c's. I have always had A1c's between about 4.8 and 5.2.

Just tested before dinner: 110
A little over 1 hr after eating a slightly generous measured cup of chili:
158
Washed hands thoroughly again and did it again just in case: 164

After the sardines spike, a number of people confidently stated that it was
the mayo (not according to the product label) or the vinegar (no again). Now
I'm wondering if it isn't just calories. Maybe I just can't eat more than
200-300 calories at once.

Or maybe I just don't have enough insulin production. It seems to come down
satisfactorily between meals...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/5/2010 7:15 PM, Janet wrote:

> Just tested before dinner: 110
> A little over 1 hr after eating a slightly generous measured cup of chili:
> 158
> Washed hands thoroughly again and did it again just in case: 164

A lot of DMs have hyper reactions to even a little tomato or sauce.
That could be it, unless there were also a lot of beans, maybe.

> After the sardines spike, a number of people confidently stated that it was
> the mayo (not according to the product label) or the vinegar (no again). Now
> I'm wondering if it isn't just calories. Maybe I just can't eat more than
> 200-300 calories at once.
>
> Or maybe I just don't have enough insulin production. It seems to come down
> satisfactorily between meals...

Could be.

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> According to my meter, my fasting BGs are usually under 110 now, but
>>> very rarely under 100. Yet my HBA1C was 5.2. (I'm still wondering if
>>> they made a mistake.) I can't imagine what I would have to do to get
>>> my fasting BG under 100 most of the time. Use insulin?

>> Janet, I have always had some degree of dawn phenomenon and it hasn't
>> affected my A1c's. I have always had A1c's between about 4.8 and 5.2.

> Just tested before dinner: 110
> A little over 1 hr after eating a slightly generous measured cup of chili:
> 158
> Washed hands thoroughly again and did it again just in case: 164
>
> After the sardines spike, a number of people confidently stated that it
> was the mayo (not according to the product label) or the vinegar (no
> again). Now I'm wondering if it isn't just calories. Maybe I just can't
> eat more than 200-300 calories at once.
>
> Or maybe I just don't have enough insulin production. It seems to come
> down satisfactorily between meals...

It could just be the individual ingredients adding up to something
significant enough to cause a rise.

Try eating something plain like a piece of steak (no sauces or seasoning)
with a green salad. Add some home made oil and vinegar (example olive oil
and white vinegar). By green salad I mean some lettuce, cucumber and celery.
Test before and after as usual and see what the result is. If there is no
appreciable rise add something from your sardine experiment the next - lets
say a few slices of raw onion. Keep going until you see a rise. If and when
you get a rise take out the last ingredient next time but add another. What
was in your chili?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

debate is not benifitted by negativity, facts are neither positive or
negative, the manner in which they are presented/offered is .

Lee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stormmee > wrote:
>>and you need to change your negativity, wayne came here for ideas to help
>>him help his partener, and if wayne is better educated at this point and
>>his
>>partener is willing to learn then good on both of them, between this post
>>and your snipe about eating better and being miserable you are fast making
>>me reach my tolerance for your negativity, Lee

> Life isn't always positive. Debate isn't always rosy and peachy. While I
> applaud Wayne for caring so much about his partner that he wants to help
> him
> live longer, I know how doomed his endeavor will be if David refuses to
> cooperate. If I'm negative for pointing out a bitter truth, I'd rather be
> negative and honest than positively deceptive.
>
> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

there is talking equipment that is relatively easy to use, Lee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Alan S > wrote:
>>What do you hope?

> I hope to get my blood glucose permanently below 100.
>
>>Do you test after meals at your peak?

> I don't test at all yet. I have no testing equipment and am totally blind
> from
> birth, so I'm trying to avoid having to monitor and test for as long as
> possible.
>

> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now there's a question i haven't read the answer to or have missed... what
is "comes down satifactorily" between meals mean, generality i know as this
is so individual, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> According to my meter, my fasting BGs are usually under 110 now, but
>>> very rarely under 100. Yet my HBA1C was 5.2. (I'm still wondering if
>>> they made a mistake.) I can't imagine what I would have to do to get
>>> my fasting BG under 100 most of the time. Use insulin?

>> Janet, I have always had some degree of dawn phenomenon and it hasn't
>> affected my A1c's. I have always had A1c's between about 4.8 and 5.2.

> Just tested before dinner: 110
> A little over 1 hr after eating a slightly generous measured cup of chili:
> 158
> Washed hands thoroughly again and did it again just in case: 164
>
> After the sardines spike, a number of people confidently stated that it
> was the mayo (not according to the product label) or the vinegar (no
> again). Now I'm wondering if it isn't just calories. Maybe I just can't
> eat more than 200-300 calories at once.
>
> Or maybe I just don't have enough insulin production. It seems to come
> down satisfactorily between meals...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

everyone has relapses on some level that is no reason for wayne to NOT try,
Lee
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Stormmee > wrote:
>>and while it is true that he must make these changes if he sees it is
>>important to you /your relationship and longetivity it might be a
>>motivator,

> Only time will tell how much of a motivator it will be, and Wayne needs to
> be
> prepared for David's changes not sticking.
>
> Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks for such a positive outcome, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 03 Aug 2010 10:17:52a, Stormmee told us...
>>
>>> one of the points you might make to him is that you really want to
>>> do this for a very selfish reason... you want him around for a
>>> long time, Lee

>> That's one of the tactics/arguments I've been making recently. I think
>> he only half believes in the consequences of his behavior, but I've at
>> least been able to raise some doubt in his mind.

> This tactic does work. Many years ago when DH was not in such great
> control, I made a deal with him. He would watch his carbs and I would quit
> smoking. The deal included my right to start smoking again if his eating
> went off track. My premise was "why live without him"
>
> Faced with the health of both of us in his control, he really made a
> strong commitment to watching his diet and he's kept it. (So have I)
>
> Do you have a habit to trade, Wayne?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> now there's a question i haven't read the answer to or have missed...
> what is "comes down satifactorily" between meals mean, generality i
> know as this is so individual, Lee

Well, what I meant was under 110, and occasionally even under 100. I'd like
it to be under 100 most of the time, but haven't achieved that yet. At least
not according to my meter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:15:18 -0400, "Janet" >
> wrote:
>
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Janet, I have always had some degree of dawn phenomenon and it
>>> hasn't affected my A1c's. I have always had A1c's between about 4.8
>>> and 5.2.

>> Just tested before dinner: 110
>> A little over 1 hr after eating a slightly generous measured cup of
>> chili: 158
>> Washed hands thoroughly again and did it again just in case: 164
>>
>> After the sardines spike, a number of people confidently stated that
>> it was the mayo (not according to the product label) or the vinegar
>> (no again). Now I'm wondering if it isn't just calories. Maybe I
>> just can't eat more than 200-300 calories at once.
>>
>> Or maybe I just don't have enough insulin production. It seems to
>> come down satisfactorily between meals...
>>

> What was the carb count of the chili? If you don't know, what was the
> recipe?
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d & e; metformin 1500mg

I just ran the recipe through one of those calculators. The problem is that
I'm really not sure how it would divide up into servings, especially since
the calculator will not allow me to add water to adjust volume. It would
appear to me looking at it that a cup of it would contain no more than 1/2
cup of beans, which should have net carbs of about 12 gm, plus whatever
carbs are contributed by the tomato and onions/peppers. (This is going by
what it says on the side of the bean can.) So even if I'm underestimating by
100%, the total carbs ought to be less than the upper 20s.

It seems that I do have a problem with meals with carbs in the 28 gm range.
Or I may have some kind of weird issue with canned tomatoes.

Clearly, more investigation is needed! <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh thanks, i though you meant, so many points in a certian amount of time,
Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> now there's a question i haven't read the answer to or have missed...
>> what is "comes down satifactorily" between meals mean, generality i
>> know as this is so individual, Lee

> Well, what I meant was under 110, and occasionally even under 100. I'd
> like it to be under 100 most of the time, but haven't achieved that yet.
> At least not according to my meter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> I just ran the recipe through one of those calculators. The problem is that
> I'm really not sure how it would divide up into servings, especially since
> the calculator will not allow me to add water to adjust volume. It would
> appear to me looking at it that a cup of it would contain no more than 1/2
> cup of beans, which should have net carbs of about 12 gm, plus whatever
> carbs are contributed by the tomato and onions/peppers. (This is going by
> what it says on the side of the bean can.) So even if I'm underestimating by
> 100%, the total carbs ought to be less than the upper 20s.
>
> It seems that I do have a problem with meals with carbs in the 28 gm range.
> Or I may have some kind of weird issue with canned tomatoes.
>
> Clearly, more investigation is needed! <G>

I've stopped using canned beans for chili for precisely this reason. To
keep the carb count per serving reasonable, I need at least 3 lbs of
beef for one can of beans, and that's too much to make at once. Now I
use dry beans, and soak what amounts to about 1/3 of a can's worth of
beans.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet