Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Wasabi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms

I had gotten a seedling from them.

http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg

It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate the
roots!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
>
> I had gotten a seedling from them.
>
> http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
>
> It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
> the roots!

Interesting, I have always thought wasabi was a paste made from
horseradish..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 19, 3:23*am, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms

> > I had gotten a seedling from them.

> >http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg

> > It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
> > the roots!

> Interesting, I have always thought wasabi was a paste made from
> horseradish..

From what I've heard, most of the "wasabi" provided in sushi bars is
green dyed horseradish, which is a lot hotter than true wasabi. To me,
real wasabi is fairly mild and it it smells good.

I'm impressed that Nick tried to grow it. I'd love to have it and
shiso (perilla leaf) in my garden, but so far no luck with seeds.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19 May 2010 09:59:27 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
>
>I had gotten a seedling from them.
>
>http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
>
>It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate the
>roots!

Nooooo! Grrrr.

I had it in my head it was a kind of pea, interesting to see the
photo.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito wrote:
> On May 19, 3:23 am, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms

>>> I had gotten a seedling from them.

>>> http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg

>>> It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
>>> the roots!

>> Interesting, I have always thought wasabi was a paste made from
>> horseradish..

> From what I've heard, most of the "wasabi" provided in sushi bars is
> green dyed horseradish, which is a lot hotter than true wasabi. To me,
> real wasabi is fairly mild and it it smells good.
>
> I'm impressed that Nick tried to grow it. I'd love to have it and
> shiso (perilla leaf) in my garden, but so far no luck with seeds.

Yes, the stuff I eat is very hot, just as I like it - th eonly "hot" thing I
can tolerate really hot I love the flavour even though I have probably
never tasted the real deal. Horseradish will do for me then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On 19 May 2010 09:59:27 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
>>
>> I had gotten a seedling from them.
>>
>> http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
>>
>> It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
>> the roots!

> Nooooo! Grrrr.
>
> I had it in my head it was a kind of pea, interesting to see the
> photo.

Which reminds me that I like the dried peas you can buy that are coated in a
wasabi blend (or probably horseradish).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
>
> I had gotten a seedling from them.
>
> http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
>
> It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate the
> roots!

I had trouble last year and the year before with the lemon cucumbers. Can't
tell you how many times I had to replant. This year I am growing nothing
except for the nasturtiums that Angela started for a school project. Our
weather was just too cool for too long.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On May 19, 3:23=A0am, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> > Nick Cramer wrote:
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms

> > > I had gotten a seedling from them.

> > >http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg

> > > It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
> > > the roots!

> > Interesting, I have always thought wasabi was a paste made from
> > horseradish..

> From what I've heard, most of the "wasabi" provided in sushi bars is
> green dyed horseradish, which is a lot hotter than true wasabi. To me,
> real wasabi is fairly mild and it it smells good.

Generally a green dyed mixture of horseradish and mustard.

> I'm impressed that Nick tried to grow it. I'd love to have it and
> shiso (perilla leaf) in my garden, but so far no luck with seeds.

It was a seedling. I haven't tried it from seeds. I love shiso (aka
beefheart).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Ricavito wrote:

> >> Interesting, I have always thought wasabi was a paste made from
> >> horseradish..

> > From what I've heard, most of the "wasabi" provided in sushi bars is
> > green dyed horseradish, which is a lot hotter than true wasabi. To me,
> > real wasabi is fairly mild and it it smells good.
> >
> > I'm impressed that Nick tried to grow it. I'd love to have it and
> > shiso (perilla leaf) in my garden, but so far no luck with seeds.

> Yes, the stuff I eat is very hot, just as I like it - the only "hot"
> thing I can tolerate really hot I love the flavour even though I have
> probably never tasted the real deal. Horseradish will do for me then.

Funny how that is. Jun can eat habaneros, but can't stand horseradish. ;-|

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > On 19 May 2010 09:59:27 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
> >>
> >> I had gotten a seedling from them.
> >>
> >> http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
> >>
> >> It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
> >> the roots!

> > Nooooo! Grrrr.
> >
> > I had it in my head it was a kind of pea, interesting to see the
> > photo.

> Which reminds me that I like the dried peas you can buy that are coated
> in a wasabi blend (or probably horseradish).

Yes. We get those, too. They're real good, albeit not too spicy!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
> >
> > I had gotten a seedling from them.
> >
> > http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
> >
> > It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
> > the roots!

> I had trouble last year and the year before with the lemon cucumbers.
> Can't tell you how many times I had to replant. This year I am growing
> nothing except for the nasturtiums that Angela started for a school
> project. Our weather was just too cool for too long.

My 8 yo granddaughter is starting some blueberries from seed. Soak in water
for a day. Refrigerate (moistened) for a week or two. Germinate for a month
to a year at room temp before planting. PITA!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Farms
>> >
>> > I had gotten a seedling from them.
>> >
>> > http://www.tinypic.info/files/389chvxlq22ysltihz4s.jpg
>> >
>> > It was coming along beautifully until some critter dug it up and ate
>> > the roots!

>> I had trouble last year and the year before with the lemon cucumbers.
>> Can't tell you how many times I had to replant. This year I am growing
>> nothing except for the nasturtiums that Angela started for a school
>> project. Our weather was just too cool for too long.

> My 8 yo granddaughter is starting some blueberries from seed. Soak in
> water
> for a day. Refrigerate (moistened) for a week or two. Germinate for a
> month
> to a year at room temp before planting. PITA!

Sounds like it! I wanted to plant some berries by our back fence. Not
blueberries because we don't like them. But my husband kept spraying that
stuff that kills everything back there. So I gave up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now that sucks, Lee

Wasabi dee General Cooking 18 05-07-2006 10:43 AM
Wasabi etc. George Sushi 32 11-02-2006 06:52 PM
Wasabi !!! Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 39 09-12-2005 09:19 AM
OK, But It Has Fish & Wasabi... Dan Logcher Sushi 0 22-12-2003 02:38 PM