Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's your favorite salad?

I was watching either a cooking or gardening show the other night (can't
remember which) and they made a beautiful salad on a huge platter. They had
just about every kind of vegetable you can imagine. They put little dabs
all over the platter as well as three different kinds of noodles and some
chopped peanuts. They drizzled it with a spicy Russian dressing. Looked
really good, but I'm not sure about the peanuts and noodles and I would
personally leave off the dressing. The only thing I like on my salad is
lemon juice or maybe some salsa.

Tonight I am watching Julia and Jacques. It's an old show. I've seen it
before, but I can watch either one or both of them countless times. They
are doing salads tonight. They will be doing a composed salad. I saw a
picture of it and it looked really good.

I used to love Greek salads. They're just not quite the same without the
feta cheese on them.

I still love salads, although I can't eat very many of them now due to the
gastroparesis. I did have a dinner salad tonight though with plenty of
lemon juice, salt and pepper on it. I then used the lemon slices in my Diet
Coke.

What is your favorite kind of salad?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 15, 10:49*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I was watching either a cooking or gardening show the other night (can't
> remember which) and they made a beautiful salad on a huge platter. *They had
> just about every kind of vegetable you can imagine. *They put little dabs
> all over the platter as well as three different kinds of noodles and some
> chopped peanuts. *They drizzled it with a spicy Russian dressing. *Looked
> really good, but I'm not sure about the peanuts and noodles and I would
> personally leave off the dressing. *The only thing I like on my salad is
> lemon juice or maybe some salsa.
>
> Tonight I am watching Julia and Jacques. *It's an old show. *I've seen it
> before, but I can watch either one or both of them countless times. *They
> are doing salads tonight. *They will be doing a composed salad. *I saw a
> picture of it and it looked really good.
>
> I used to love Greek salads. *They're just not quite the same without the
> feta cheese on them.
>
> I still love salads, although I can't eat very many of them now due to the
> gastroparesis. *I did have a dinner salad tonight though with plenty of
> lemon juice, salt and pepper on it. *I then used the lemon slices in my Diet
> Coke.
>
> What is your favorite kind of salad?

Hey Julie, good topic. Are you and I and that doody man troll the
only folks posting here these days?

Personally I don't care for sweet or creamy style dressings. What
really makes a good salad for me is mixed bitter greens and ripe
tomates, dressed with the right proportion of the vinegar and oil for
me. My favorite salad basis is bitter greens with EVOO and vinegar or
lemon juice, and I like it more vinegary than oily, enough to make my
poor husband pucker up at the taste, LOL.

I like Greek salad when it features the above along with crisp strips
of bell pepper, cucumber, olives, etc., or Mexican-style salad with
iceberg, ripe tomato salsa, and avocado with lime juice. Yum! But
cold salads are most appealing to me in warmer weather.

I don't know if hot italian style greens and beans is considered
salad, but I think that's really good too. Wilted spinach salad (with
bacon! is good. This morning, I made another batch of kitchen sink
vegetable soup (kind of a hot salad, right? :-) and we will have it
for supper when I get home from work tonight. I have a big bunch of
argula in the fridge and am planning to serve it chopped with a big
hunk of heated up gooey goat cheese and some sun dried tomatoes in
olive oil and some preserved lemon.

What is a composed salad? Is that like salad Nicoise or Cobb salad,
etc. made with traditional ingredients and arranged on a plate in a
traditional manner?

Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? I think food and family
are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me happy
memories and warm feelings. I've now made myself hungry, so I'd
better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. Have a great
day!

Best,

Ricavito
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Dec 15, 10:49 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I was watching either a cooking or gardening show the other night (can't
> remember which) and they made a beautiful salad on a huge platter. They
> had
> just about every kind of vegetable you can imagine. They put little dabs
> all over the platter as well as three different kinds of noodles and some
> chopped peanuts. They drizzled it with a spicy Russian dressing. Looked
> really good, but I'm not sure about the peanuts and noodles and I would
> personally leave off the dressing. The only thing I like on my salad is
> lemon juice or maybe some salsa.
>
> Tonight I am watching Julia and Jacques. It's an old show. I've seen it
> before, but I can watch either one or both of them countless times. They
> are doing salads tonight. They will be doing a composed salad. I saw a
> picture of it and it looked really good.
>
> I used to love Greek salads. They're just not quite the same without the
> feta cheese on them.
>
> I still love salads, although I can't eat very many of them now due to the
> gastroparesis. I did have a dinner salad tonight though with plenty of
> lemon juice, salt and pepper on it. I then used the lemon slices in my
> Diet
> Coke.
>
> What is your favorite kind of salad?

Hey Julie, good topic. Are you and I and that doody man troll the
only folks posting here these days?

Personally I don't care for sweet or creamy style dressings. What
really makes a good salad for me is mixed bitter greens and ripe
tomates, dressed with the right proportion of the vinegar and oil for
me. My favorite salad basis is bitter greens with EVOO and vinegar or
lemon juice, and I like it more vinegary than oily, enough to make my
poor husband pucker up at the taste, LOL.

I like Greek salad when it features the above along with crisp strips
of bell pepper, cucumber, olives, etc., or Mexican-style salad with
iceberg, ripe tomato salsa, and avocado with lime juice. Yum! But
cold salads are most appealing to me in warmer weather.

I don't know if hot italian style greens and beans is considered
salad, but I think that's really good too. Wilted spinach salad (with
bacon! is good. This morning, I made another batch of kitchen sink
vegetable soup (kind of a hot salad, right? :-) and we will have it
for supper when I get home from work tonight. I have a big bunch of
argula in the fridge and am planning to serve it chopped with a big
hunk of heated up gooey goat cheese and some sun dried tomatoes in
olive oil and some preserved lemon.
------

I love green beans pretty much any way you fix them!

-----

What is a composed salad? Is that like salad Nicoise or Cobb salad,
etc. made with traditional ingredients and arranged on a plate in a
traditional manner?

------

I've never had a Cobb salad but Nicoise would be a composed salad.

------

Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? I think food and family
are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me happy
memories and warm feelings. I've now made myself hungry, so I'd
better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. Have a great
day!

-----

I've always loved food. As a kid I watched cooking shows and pored over
cookbooks. I purchased my first cookbook at a grocery store that is no
longer here. It cost 19 cents. Apparently I never saved up enough money to
buy the rest of the set. This one was something like letters A through C.
I made every recipe in that book, with the spiced apples being the one that
I made the most.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like a good green salad with different types of lettuce and
greens...carrots, onions, celery, and cheese crumbles...cheddar cheese .
....and maybe a bit of crumbled bacon and a Good Ranch Dressing..although
won't refuse a good Roquefort...which is hard to find today. I do like
Wilted Spinach Salad and a Good Cob. I like Caesar Salad also.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I was watching either a cooking or gardening show the other night (can't
>remember which) and they made a beautiful salad on a huge platter. They
>had just about every kind of vegetable you can imagine. They put little
>dabs all over the platter as well as three different kinds of noodles and
>some chopped peanuts. They drizzled it with a spicy Russian dressing.
>Looked really good, but I'm not sure about the peanuts and noodles and I
>would personally leave off the dressing. The only thing I like on my salad
>is lemon juice or maybe some salsa.
>
> Tonight I am watching Julia and Jacques. It's an old show. I've seen it
> before, but I can watch either one or both of them countless times. They
> are doing salads tonight. They will be doing a composed salad. I saw a
> picture of it and it looked really good.
>
> I used to love Greek salads. They're just not quite the same without the
> feta cheese on them.
>
> I still love salads, although I can't eat very many of them now due to the
> gastroparesis. I did have a dinner salad tonight though with plenty of
> lemon juice, salt and pepper on it. I then used the lemon slices in my
> Diet Coke.
>
> What is your favorite kind of salad?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? I think food and family
> are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me happy
> memories and warm feelings. I've now made myself hungry, so I'd
> better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. Have a great
> day!

Why, indeed. I like George Bernard Shaw's observation:

"There is no love sincerer than the love of food."

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Dear Lord, please grant me the strength not to quickly post the very smart
ass answer to this subject and look like the troll.

Lord I applogize buttttttttt,
The answer is TOSSED! We all like our salads TOSSED!
(Those of you that are scratching your head just let it go and do not search
it, you'll be better off)

CB

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> [...]

bacon! is good. This morning, I made another batch of kitchen sink
vegetable soup (kind of a hot salad, right? :-) and we will have it
for supper when I get home from work tonight. I have a big bunch of
argula in the fridge and am planning to serve it chopped with a big
hunk of heated up gooey goat cheese and some sun dried tomatoes in
olive oil and some preserved lemon.

What is a composed salad? Is that like salad Nicoise or Cobb salad,
etc. made with traditional ingredients and arranged on a plate in a
traditional manner?

Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? I think food and family
are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me happy
memories and warm feelings. I've now made myself hungry, so I'd
better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. Have a great

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 16, 2:25*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Ricavito > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? *I think food and family
> > are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me happy
> > memories and warm feelings. *I've now made myself hungry, so I'd
> > better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. *Have a great
> > day!

> Why, indeed. I like George Bernard Shaw's observation:
>
> "There is no love sincerer than the love of food."
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: *https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/* *Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: *http://anymarine.com/* You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! * * * * * * * * ~Semper Fi~ * * * * * * * *USMC 1365061

Succinctly true Nick, I love the quotation, thank you. Here's one for
you from Proust as he tasted his tea-soaked madeline (from Remembrance
of Things Past):

"But when from a long-distant past nothing subsists, after the people
are dead, after the things are broken and scattered, still, alone,
more fragile, but with more vitality, more unsubstantial, more
persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised
a long time, like souls, ready to remind us, waiting and hoping for
their moment, amid the ruins of all the rest; and bear unfaltering, in
the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence, the vast
structure of recollection."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2:25=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Ricavito > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > Why do we love to discuss food and recipes? =A0I think food and
> > > family are really linked for me, so talking about cooking brings me
> > > happy memories and warm feelings. =A0I've now made myself hungry, so
> > > I'd better have some breakfast before I leave for work, LOL. =A0Have
> > > a grea=

> > > day!

> > Why, indeed. I like George Bernard Shaw's observation:
> >
> > "There is no love sincerer than the love of food."

> Succinctly true Nick, I love the quotation, thank you. Here's one for
> you from Proust as he tasted his tea-soaked madeline (from Remembrance
> of Things Past): [ . . . ]

Thanks, Vito. Too long for me to remember.

I do like to dip Italian bread in dry, red wine. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheeky *******" > wrote in message
> Dear Lord, please grant me the strength not to quickly post the very smart
> ass answer to this subject and look like the troll.
>
> Lord I applogize buttttttttt,
> The answer is TOSSED! We all like our salads TOSSED!
> (Those of you that are scratching your head just let it go and do not
> search it, you'll be better off)

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard that term since I was a kid. I
loved that kind as a kid but in our house unless I made the salad
personally, we just had honeymoon salad. That was lettuce alone. Usually a
chunk of iceberg. My mom doesn't like tomatoes, onions or other things in
her salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My husband used to take a whole head of lettuce out of the fridge and eat it
like you would an apple. He is really a big salad eater. I like salads too
but he would eat them three times a day if he could

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheeky *******" > wrote in message
>> Dear Lord, please grant me the strength not to quickly post the very
>> smart ass answer to this subject and look like the troll.
>>
>> Lord I applogize buttttttttt,
>> The answer is TOSSED! We all like our salads TOSSED!
>> (Those of you that are scratching your head just let it go and do not
>> search it, you'll be better off)

> Now that I think about it, I haven't heard that term since I was a kid. I
> loved that kind as a kid but in our house unless I made the salad
> personally, we just had honeymoon salad. That was lettuce alone. Usually
> a chunk of iceberg. My mom doesn't like tomatoes, onions or other things
> in her salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> My husband used to take a whole head of lettuce out of the fridge and eat
> it like you would an apple. He is really a big salad eater. I like salads
> too but he would eat them three times a day if he could

As a kid I was once banned from making salad for a whole week because I ate
the whole head in making it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
[snip]
> I still love salads, although I can't eat very many of them now due to the
> gastroparesis. I did have a dinner salad tonight though with plenty of
> lemon juice, salt and pepper on it. I then used the lemon slices in my
> Diet Coke.
>
> What is your favorite kind of salad?

I like chef's salad.

I'm now preparing to catch up for the months I've been away from this
newsgroup, so I should be posting a little soon.

Robert Miles