Jennifer

Default REC: Cauliflower, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata

Well... now I'm in a frittata frenzy!!

Cauliflower, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata
• Fast

4 SERVINGS

Eggs make perfect weeknight dinners; they cook quickly and taste great
with an endless variety of ingredients. Here, bacon, sautéed
cauliflower, and grated Parmesan complement each other in an original
and satisfying frittata.

1/4 pound bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
8 large eggs
1/3 cup light cream
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into small florets
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, minced

1. In a 10-inch nonstick frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove.
Pour off all the fat. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the
cream,Parmesan, parsley, and pepper until smooth. Add the cooled bacon.

2. In the same frying pan, heat the oil with the butter over
moderately high heat. Add the cauliflower and salt and cook, stirring
occasionally, until the cauliflower is golden and almost done, 10 to 15
minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Pour in the
egg mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, until the bottom
of the frittata is golden brown and the top is almost set, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Heat the broiler. Broil the frittata 6 inches from the heat, if
possible, until the eggs are set and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.

4. Lift up the edge of the frittata with a spatula and slide the
frittata onto a plate. Cut it into wedges.

Test-Kitchen Tip
If the handle of your frying pan isn't ovenproof you can make it so.
Protect it from the heat of the broiler by wrapping it with four layers
of aluminum foil.

Alan

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:51:16 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Jennifer" > wrote in message
>> Well... now I'm in a frittata frenzy!!
>>
>> Cauliflower, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata
>> • Fast
>>
>> 4 SERVINGS
>>
>> Eggs make perfect weeknight dinners; they cook quickly and taste great
>> with an endless variety of ingredients. Here, bacon, sautéed
>> cauliflower, and grated Parmesan complement each other in an original
>> and satisfying frittata.
>>
>> 1/4 pound bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
>> 8 large eggs
>> 1/3 cup light cream
>> 1 cup grated Parmesan
>> 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>> 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
>> 2 tablespoons olive oil
>> 1 tablespoon butter
>> 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into small florets
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced
>>
>> 1. In a 10-inch nonstick frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove.
>> Pour off all the fat. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the
>> cream,Parmesan, parsley, and pepper until smooth. Add the cooled bacon.
>>
>> 2. In the same frying pan, heat the oil with the butter over
>> moderately high heat. Add the cauliflower and salt and cook, stirring
>> occasionally, until the cauliflower is golden and almost done, 10 to 15
>> minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Pour in the
>> egg mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, until the bottom
>> of the frittata is golden brown and the top is almost set, 10 to 15

>minutes.
>>
>> 3. Heat the broiler. Broil the frittata 6 inches from the heat, if
>> possible, until the eggs are set and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
>>
>> 4. Lift up the edge of the frittata with a spatula and slide the
>> frittata onto a plate. Cut it into wedges.
>>
>> Test-Kitchen Tip
>> If the handle of your frying pan isn't ovenproof you can make it so.
>> Protect it from the heat of the broiler by wrapping it with four layers
>> of aluminum foil.
>>

>Sounds wonderful!
>
>Have you ever tried to freeze individual portions? I cook for one
>(myself!), and I'm wondering how this would be a frozen leftovers, possibly
>to take to work for lunch on some days.
>
>MaryL

Hi Mary

I agree, it sounds good. My version for one, which I'll be trying
shortly will be the following changes to the ingredients list:

>> 1/4 pound bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips

One slice/rasher
>> 8 large eggs

One large egg
>> 1/3 cup light cream

One Tablespoon
>> 1 cup grated Parmesan

One Tablespoon
>> 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

A sprig or two
>> 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

A grinding to taste
>> 2 tablespoons olive oil

A slurp
>> 1 tablespoon butter

A teaspoon
>> 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into small florets

1/2-1 cup after seperating florettes.
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt

I don't add salt.
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced

One clove, smallish.

Adjust cooking times appropriately. I have a small 12 cm (5") cast-iron
skillet that's just right for this sort of frittata. One trick I would
do is to cook the bacon under the grill (broiler) while the cauli is
cooking, to save time and automatically drain off the fat. I usually
purposely slightly undercook the cauli in this type of dish. I'll
probably add a little cheddar or mozza on top just before it goes under
the grill (broiler).

Thanks Jennifer.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
MaryL

"Alan" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:51:16 -0500, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

> >Sounds wonderful!
> >
> >Have you ever tried to freeze individual portions? I cook for one
> >(myself!), and I'm wondering how this would be a frozen leftovers,

possibly
> >to take to work for lunch on some days.
> >
> >MaryL
> >

> Hi Mary
>
> I agree, it sounds good. My version for one, which I'll be trying
> shortly will be the following changes to the ingredients list:
>
> >> 1/4 pound bacon, slices cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips

> One slice/rasher
> >> 8 large eggs

> One large egg
> >> 1/3 cup light cream

> One Tablespoon
> >> 1 cup grated Parmesan

> One Tablespoon
> >> 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

> A sprig or two
> >> 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

> A grinding to taste
> >> 2 tablespoons olive oil

> A slurp
> >> 1 tablespoon butter

> A teaspoon
> >> 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into small florets

> 1/2-1 cup after seperating florettes.
> >> 1/4 teaspoon salt

> I don't add salt.
> >> 4 cloves garlic, minced

> One clove, smallish.
>
> Adjust cooking times appropriately. I have a small 12 cm (5") cast-iron
> skillet that's just right for this sort of frittata. One trick I would
> do is to cook the bacon under the grill (broiler) while the cauli is
> cooking, to save time and automatically drain off the fat. I usually
> purposely slightly undercook the cauli in this type of dish. I'll
> probably add a little cheddar or mozza on top just before it goes under
> the grill (broiler).
>
> Thanks Jennifer.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> Remove weight and carbs to email.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Great! You saved me the trouble of "reducing" the recipe. Thanks, Alan.
This recipe is now on my agenda for this week-end.

MaryL

Parmesan and Bacon Cornbread Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 24-10-2006 10:30 AM
Roasted Cauliflower with Fresh Herbs and Parmesan [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 28-10-2005 07:11 PM
Bacon Potato Frittata Duckie ® Recipes 0 26-08-2005 11:17 PM
Potato-Bacon Frittata Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-07-2005 02:26 AM
Cauliflower, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata MaryL Diabetic 3 14-10-2004 12:38 AM