Hahabogus

Default Pfeffernusse Cookies

Pfeffernusse Cookies
A spicy and crunchy traditional German holiday favorite.

Ingredients:

* 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten flour
* 1/2 cup oat flour
* 1/2 cup whey protein powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon finely ground white or black pepper (I often add half of
each!)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground anise or 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup Diabetisweet
* 1/2 cup Brown Sugar Twin
* 1/3 cup Splenda
* 1 Tablespoon molasses [optional]
* 4 teaspoons liquid sweetener
* 1 egg
* 1 cup powdered (Steel's) Nature Sweet [optional]

Sift together flours, salt, pepper, anise, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice,
cardamom, nutmeg, and cloves.

In a second bowl, beat together the butter, Diabetisweet, Brown Sugar Twin,
Splenda, molasses, and liquid sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the
egg, mixing well, and then mix in the flour mixture. The dough will be
stiff and will come together best if you knead it manually.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheets *lightly*. Snip off
bits of dough to make 1 inch balls. Place balls onto baking sheet 2 inches
apart. If you prefer crisp cookies, press dough balls flat (about 1/4 inch
thick); if you prefer them soft, leave them as balls.

Bake in center of oven until starting to brown at edges. Don't overbake.
Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly. Optionally, dust with powdered
Steel's Nature Sweet while warm, then cool on racks. (I ALWAYS take this
extra step as I adore the powdered "sugar" on them and they look more
festive this way.) See our Product Review area at the site for info on
where to buy Steel's Nature Sweet.

Makes about 2 dozen. Approximately 1.5 grams per cookie.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:45:40 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

>Pfeffernusse Cookies
>A spicy and crunchy traditional German holiday favorite.

Have you tried this recipe yourself yet, Haha? I've seen similar but been
reluctant to try them.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Hahabogus

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:45:40 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>Pfeffernusse Cookies
>>A spicy and crunchy traditional German holiday favorite.

> Have you tried this recipe yourself yet, Haha? I've seen similar but been
> reluctant to try them.

I'm not a cookie kind of guy...but it looked ok to me.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.