Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anybody Have a TNT Recipe For Pfeffernusse Cookies?

I want to thank all of you that replied to my request for these
wonderful cookies, that brought back so many great memories of my
childhood to me! I have copied off the recipes you posted, as all look
really good! I don't recall mom ever using any kind of candied fruit in
her cookies, and I am quite sure they didn't have a glaze with rum,
etc.? The Archway cookies I bought at the store didn't have any either,
and the balls were rolled in powdered sugar, which is what I might do.

I found these two recipes at an online site today, and they sound like
they might be very similar to what my mom made. I'll share them here
with you, and see what you think?

Thanks again...sure appreciate the positive feed-back!

Pfeffernusse Crescents
Makes 5 Dozen**•**From the kitchen of Caroline and Mary Claire
Stevenson

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup honey
confectioners sugar, for rolling

Directions
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk
flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and
cloves. Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat butter, eggs and zest until smooth, about
three minutes. Beat in honey until combined. Cover and refrigerate
overnight.

With well-floured hands, form one-level teaspoon dough into ball. On a
well floured work surface, form each ball into a 2 1\2-inch-long log.

Bend into crescent shape and place on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat
with remaining dough.

Bake for 8 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from oven; cool on
baking sheet on wire rack for 1 minute. Roll warm cookies in
confectioners' sugar.

Place on wire rack to cool completely.

From the kitchen of Cathy Preston

Ingredients
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
4 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
dash of pepper
dash of ginger
1 teaspoon powdered cloves
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease cookie pans.

In saucepan combine molasses and butter or margarine. Heat until melted,
then cool at room temperature. Add eggs, set aside.
In another bowl combine last 8 ingredients. Add molasses mixture into
dough. Dough will be gooey. Shape dough into small balls and bake on a
greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Roll in powdered sugar and enjoy.

Judy