Hahabogus

Default Spiced Pumpkin Soup

Spiced Pumpkin Soup

* Spiced Pumpkin Soup 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 cup onion, diced
* 1 leek, sliced, white part only
* 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
* 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
* 1 can (29 ounces) pumpkin
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
to taste
* Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds (optional)
* 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (optional)
* Spice Leaves, parsley or snipped chives for garnish

In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek and curry
powder. Cook 10 minutes, being careful not to brown. Add chicken broth and
pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.

Add pumpkin mixture and butter to blender container, filling up to 4-cup
capacity mark, or as manufacturer directs. Blend at lowest speed. Blend
until smooth. Return to saucepan. Bring just to boil over medium-low heat.
Mix in cream, coconut milk, and molasses.

Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds, dollop of
whipped cream and chives, parsley or chervil leaves.

Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds: Coat sheet of foil with vegetable cooking
spray or oil. With paper towel, rub as much of the fiber off the seeds as
possible. Spread on foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle
with salt. Roast at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 mintes.

Makes 6 servings –– 6.3g effective carbohydrate per serving.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Tiger Lily

keep them coming Haha!!! love the recipes

thank you :-)
kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Spiced Pumpkin Soup
>
> * Spiced Pumpkin Soup 2 tablespoons canola oil
> * 1 cup onion, diced
> * 1 leek, sliced, white part only
> * 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
> * 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
> * 1 can (29 ounces) pumpkin
> * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
> * 1/4 cup heavy cream
> * 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
> * 1 tablespoon molasses
> * Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
> to taste
> * Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds (optional)
> * 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (optional)
> * Spice Leaves, parsley or snipped chives for garnish
>
> In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek and

curry
> powder. Cook 10 minutes, being careful not to brown. Add chicken broth and
> pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
>
> Add pumpkin mixture and butter to blender container, filling up to 4-cup
> capacity mark, or as manufacturer directs. Blend at lowest speed. Blend
> until smooth. Return to saucepan. Bring just to boil over medium-low heat.
> Mix in cream, coconut milk, and molasses.
>
> Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
>
> To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds, dollop of
> whipped cream and chives, parsley or chervil leaves.
>
> Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds: Coat sheet of foil with vegetable cooking
> spray or oil. With paper towel, rub as much of the fiber off the seeds as
> possible. Spread on foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle
> with salt. Roast at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 mintes.
>
> Makes 6 servings –– 6.3g effective carbohydrate per serving.
>
> --
> Starchless in Manitoba.

Tiger Lily

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Spiced Pumpkin Soup
>
> * Spiced Pumpkin Soup 2 tablespoons canola oil
> * 1 cup onion, diced
> * 1 leek, sliced, white part only
> * 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
> * 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
> * 1 can (29 ounces) pumpkin
> * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
> * 1/4 cup heavy cream
> * 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
> * 1 tablespoon molasses
> * Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
> to taste
> * Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds (optional)
> * 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (optional)
> * Spice Leaves, parsley or snipped chives for garnish
>
> In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek and

curry
> powder. Cook 10 minutes, being careful not to brown. Add chicken broth and
> pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
>
> Add pumpkin mixture and butter to blender container, filling up to 4-cup
> capacity mark, or as manufacturer directs. Blend at lowest speed. Blend
> until smooth. Return to saucepan. Bring just to boil over medium-low heat.
> Mix in cream, coconut milk, and molasses.
>
> Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
>
> To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds, dollop of
> whipped cream and chives, parsley or chervil leaves.
>
> Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds: Coat sheet of foil with vegetable cooking
> spray or oil. With paper towel, rub as much of the fiber off the seeds as
> possible. Spread on foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle
> with salt. Roast at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 10 mintes.
>
> Makes 6 servings –– 6.3g effective carbohydrate per serving.
>
> --
> Starchless in Manitoba.

Hahabogus

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in :

> Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
> Subject: Spiced Pumpkin Soup
> From: "Tiger Lily" >
>
> keep them coming Haha!!! love the recipes
>
> thank you :-)
> kate
> --
> Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet never
> /server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
> More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Please follow the net etiquette rules and post at the bottom. Outlook
Express is crap get a real news reader. There are some free ones out there,
I use xnews and its free, so is restricted Agent. If you post on the bottom
It makes the thread more readable. No I'm not a grumpy old fart, if I was
why would I post recipes?...just following the rules of polite written
conversation.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Alan

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:21:07 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

>No I'm not a grumpy old fart, if I was
>why would I post recipes?...

Why not? Sometimes I'm also a grumpy old fart and I also post recipes.

I agree with your sentiments, but I suspect your manner may not get the
results you requested. "Please" is good, but instruction, as against
persuasion, rarely works on usenet.

Particularly when you've already dismissed the rules used on that
person's other means of communicating with diabetics as much too
restrictive for your free spirit.

This is my grumpy old fart mode. I do have other modes, depending on how
I'm approached:-)

It'd be nice to know who you were last time you were around these
groups.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Hahabogus

Alan > wrote in
news
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:21:07 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>No I'm not a grumpy old fart, if I was
>>why would I post recipes?...

> Why not? Sometimes I'm also a grumpy old fart and I also post recipes.
>
> I agree with your sentiments, but I suspect your manner may not get the
> results you requested. "Please" is good, but instruction, as against
> persuasion, rarely works on usenet.
>
> Particularly when you've already dismissed the rules used on that
> person's other means of communicating with diabetics as much too
> restrictive for your free spirit.
>
> This is my grumpy old fart mode. I do have other modes, depending on how
> I'm approached:-)
>
> It'd be nice to know who you were last time you were around these
> groups.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> Remove weight and carbs to email.

Yes wouldn't it....I've been Hahabogus on usenet since I think at least 97.
Possibly longer. You have google...use it.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Sherry

Ye gads, not another bottom post vs top post crank! I actually prefer
top posting so I don't have to scroll through all the stuff that people
don't delete to get to the bottom to read the bottom post. If the
poster doesn't make enough sense in his/her response to get the idea of
what he/she talking about, I then scroll down and read the previous
post, but normally there's enough info that spending all that time
scrolling isn't necessary.

Life is too short to spend it scrolling down and re-reading what I've
already read.

Sherry

Hahabogus > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Please follow the net etiquette rules and post at the bottom.
> Outlook Express is crap get a real news reader. There are some free
> ones out there, I use xnews and its free, so is restricted Agent. If
> you post on the bottom It makes the thread more readable. No I'm not
> a grumpy old fart, if I was why would I post recipes?...just
> following the rules of polite written conversation.

Hahabogus

Sherry > wrote in
. 1.4:

> Ye gads, not another bottom post vs top post crank! I actually prefer
> top posting so I don't have to scroll through all the stuff that people
> don't delete to get to the bottom to read the bottom post. If the
> poster doesn't make enough sense in his/her response to get the idea of
> what he/she talking about, I then scroll down and read the previous
> post, but normally there's enough info that spending all that time
> scrolling isn't necessary.
>
> Life is too short to spend it scrolling down and re-reading what I've
> already read.
>
> Sherry
>

> Hahabogus > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
>> Please follow the net etiquette rules and post at the bottom.
>> Outlook Express is crap get a real news reader. There are some free
>> ones out there, I use xnews and its free, so is restricted Agent. If
>> you post on the bottom It makes the thread more readable. No I'm not
>> a grumpy old fart, if I was why would I post recipes?...just
>> following the rules of polite written conversation.

plonk!

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Alan

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:59:24 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

>Alan > wrote in
>news >
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:21:07 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>>No I'm not a grumpy old fart, if I was
>>>why would I post recipes?...

>> Why not? Sometimes I'm also a grumpy old fart and I also post recipes.
>>
>> I agree with your sentiments, but I suspect your manner may not get the
>> results you requested. "Please" is good, but instruction, as against
>> persuasion, rarely works on usenet.
>>
>> Particularly when you've already dismissed the rules used on that
>> person's other means of communicating with diabetics as much too
>> restrictive for your free spirit.
>>
>> This is my grumpy old fart mode. I do have other modes, depending on how
>> I'm approached:-)
>>
>> It'd be nice to know who you were last time you were around these
>> groups.
>>

>> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
>> Remove weight and carbs to email.

>Yes wouldn't it....I've been Hahabogus on usenet since I think at least 97.
>Possibly longer. You have google...use it.

I had googled before writing that. Your style looked familiar.
There was very little for "Hahabogus" before Sep 04 in the diabetes
groups except for this snippet from '02:

"From: hahabogus )
Subject: soups
Original Format
Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
Date: 2002-01-06 13:59:59 PST

I'm not a diabetic but perhaps:"

I presume you've had some bad news since then judging by what you've
posted on alt.support.diabetes, and you just had an interest in cooking
before that.

If you are a new diabetic, I sympathise and hope that you're getting
something out of a.s.d. and here. Maybe that explains, but doesn't
excuse, the attitude. If you're not I have to wonder about your agenda.

But, whichever you are, you come across as a rude self-centred prick who
considers themselves far more intelligent than the rest of us mortals
waiting here for your pearls of wisdom. I agree with your views on
top-posting with some reservations, and I've had no problems with your
posts on a.s.d., but to instruct Kate the way you did after denigrating
the chat forum, then plonk Sherry for expressing her opinion, is
churlish and discourteous at best.

You'll do what you want - I presume I just got plonked too. You sure are
going to get a limited value out of a.s.d if you plonk all who disagree
with you or top post. You'll only have Chung, Mu or doe to read. You'll
not learn much from those three.

Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

Spiced Pumpkin Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-11-2005 02:49 AM
Spiced Pumpkin Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-09-2005 12:36 PM
Spiced Pumpkin Bars Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-06-2005 10:12 PM
Spiced Pumpkin Bars Maureen Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2004 03:54 AM
Spiced Pumpkin Soup Hahabogus General Cooking 2 15-10-2004 04:33 AM