Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Always check the label!

Now being a person with food allergies, you'd think I would do this each and
every time. I do know to do this.

I had been buying unsweetened, dried cranberries at my health food store. I
could eat a handful of them with no problems. I hadn't had any in a while,
so decided to look for them but wasn't sure they would have them since the
season seems so short for them.

Sure enough I saw cranberries on the shelf. Now to confuse things further,
my health food store often buys things in bulk and repackages them using a
sort of generic label that the one guy makes up himself. These were in the
generic package.

I bought them. Took them home. Popped a handful in my mouth. Hmmm... I
didn't remember them being this juicy and sweet! And sure enough, these
were not the same ones! These were fruit juice sweetened. Can you say
spike!?

Now the really funny thing is, right after I noticed the spike, I found the
remains of the bag of unsweetened ones. There aren't very many in there. I
had them sitting on my printer by the computer but must have moved them not
so long ago when for some still undiscovered reason, I could not get online
for a day or so. Verizon had said they would have to come out here so I
cleaned up around the computer and moved the bag over to the left where I
have storage for paper and also keep my meds.

I did try dehydrating them myself, but got a very odd result. Now I did
them whole and I didn't blanch them first. This was when I was on the raw
food diet so I couldn't have blanched them. They took many days to
dehydrate and instead of being moist and chewy like the ones you buy in the
store, they became all bloated and puffed full of air. The end result was
something crispy like popcorn. But the flavor was quite good. I did two
bags of them this way so I had them to snack on for the better part of a
year. Maybe I'll do some more. Haven't seen any in the stores yet but
apparently they are out in some parts of the country.

Label Info Jigs-n-fixtures [email protected] Diabetic 46 22-02-2008 10:47 PM
when to label Pino Winemaking 9 09-03-2006 11:16 PM
Label Contest darp Winemaking 0 24-03-2005 12:51 AM
label removal walterthegrey Winemaking 14 27-08-2004 01:48 AM
Label removal? Akator Winemaking 15 27-05-2004 09:39 PM