Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ideas?

I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:

Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
Let me try again...

In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
image in reality.

Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?

Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
stock... hmm...

Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
>I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
> keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
>
> Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
> Let me try again...
>
> In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
> apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
> can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
> image in reality.
>
> Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
> know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
> the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
> brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?
>
> Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
> can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
> although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
> amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
> stock... hmm...
>
> Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.

I do something like this with regular potatoes (Yukon Gold) and white
onions. It uses vegetable stock and olive oil. I'm not sure what kind of
stock you would use with apples. Maybe apple juice would work but this
would up the carb count.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
> keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
>
> Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
> Let me try again...
>
> In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
> apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
> can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
> image in reality.
>
> Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
> know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then
> remove the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the
> slices to brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20
> minutes?
>
> Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so
> I can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the
> potluck, although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I
> have some amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with
> chicken stock... hmm...
>
> Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.

I don't have any recipes but it would sure go well with roast pork!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
> >I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
> > keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
> >
> > Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
> > Let me try again...
> >
> > In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
> > apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
> > can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
> > image in reality.
> >
> > Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
> > know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
> > the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
> > brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?
> >
> > Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
> > can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
> > although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
> > amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
> > stock... hmm...
> >
> > Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.

> I do something like this with regular potatoes (Yukon Gold) and white
> onions. It uses vegetable stock and olive oil. I'm not sure what kind of
> stock you would use with apples. Maybe apple juice would work but this
> would up the carb count.

Carb count wouldn't matter too much because not many diabetics at the
event, but I want it savory, not overly sweet, so wouldn't use apple
juice.

Maybe I'll just sprinkle them with salt and pepper and drizzle some
olive oil, then let their own liquids come out as they cook, covered.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>>I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
>> keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
>>
>> Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
>> Let me try again...
>>
>> In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
>> apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
>> can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
>> image in reality.
>>
>> Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
>> know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
>> the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
>> brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?
>>
>> Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
>> can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
>> although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
>> amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
>> stock... hmm...
>>
>> Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.

> I do something like this with regular potatoes (Yukon Gold) and white
> onions. It uses vegetable stock and olive oil. I'm not sure what kind
> of stock you would use with apples. Maybe apple juice would work but this
> would up the carb count.

You could use vegetable bouillion.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
>I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
> keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
>
> Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
> Let me try again...
>
> In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
> apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
> can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
> image in reality.
>
> Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
> know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
> the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
> brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?
>
> Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
> can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
> although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
> amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
> stock... hmm...
>
> Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.
>
> Priscilla

Priscilla using the vidalia onions would only be of importance if you were
using them raw, as in a salad. Regular onions lose their sting as soon as
they are cooked, so they would probably be fine.

I have a way of pre-cooking onions that works great. I slice them, then
nuke them raw..... it is instant fried onions without the fat. That might
work for your recipe too.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 02:04:39 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>I have a way of pre-cooking onions that works great. I slice them, then
>nuke them raw..... it is instant fried onions without the fat. That might
>work for your recipe too.

Ah! Nice one! I was thinking that the Granny Smiths and the sweet pots
would cook quicker than the onions, and that would sort the balance
out.

It sounds a great taste combo, Priscilla! Please post the recipe, when
you've had a go

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

never heard of it but it soulnds great, make 2 one with veg and one with
chicken, taste, then decide which to take, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
>I have to take a side dish to a potluck on Saturday, and the following
> keeps tapping me on the shoulder as an idea:
>
> Visualize it, Sicily 1932... No, no.. That's Sophia from Golden Girls.
> Let me try again...
>
> In my mind's eye I see a baking dish with overlapping slices of onion,
> apple, and sweet potato. I think I've seen this dish before, but I
> can't remember where, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve the
> image in reality.
>
> Can I just layer them in raw and bake them? Put on some stock? I
> know... apply stock and cover for the first part of cooking, then remove
> the cover (tin foil) to allow the stock to evaporate and the slices to
> brown up a bit? 350F for 40 minutes and then 400F for 20 minutes?
>
> Herbs? Maybe fresh thyme? Sprigs scattered around. Veggie stock so I
> can honestly say it's a veggie dish. (Many vegetarians at the potluck,
> although plenty of carnivores, too.) Too bad, because I have some
> amazing chicken stock on hand. It would taste better with chicken
> stock... hmm...
>
> Vidalia onions maybe? I have Granny Smith apples.
>
> Priscilla

Need REC ideas Cheryl[_5_] General Cooking 83 18-01-2009 01:57 AM
any ideas? whiteMemphis Preserving 5 20-11-2007 12:42 AM
BBQ ideas, anyone? Stacia General Cooking 42 06-05-2006 03:14 AM
Bean ideas? Eggplant ideas? serene General Cooking 2 01-04-2006 11:27 PM
Need ideas Rubystars Vegan 13 24-03-2004 08:11 PM