Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Some recipes

Most of these are chicken salads. I have not tried them yet but plan on
doing so this Summer. I have tried the Pita and find it to be tasty....you
might want to adjust each to your taste. I use less Ranch Dressing because I
like my salad a bit on the dry side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pita Pockets

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 7 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : bacon chicken
pita Ranch Dressing

2 boneless skinless chicken breast half -- chopped
1 med tomato -- diced
1/2 small onion -- diced
1/3 cup Kens Lite Ranch Salad Dressing -- adjust amount to
taste
4 pita bread -- halved
1/2 head iceberg lettuce -- shredded or chopped
salt, pepper, garlic to season chicken.
8 slices cooked bacon -- crumbled

Chop all Veggies and place into medium mixing bowl, add Ranch Dressing,
chicken and bacon....toss all.
place 1/2 cup of mixture into each Pita pocket....enjoy.
Serves 7

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; 5g Fat (22.6% calories
from fat); 14g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 26mg
Cholesterol; 328mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Add a bit of your favorite cheese with this, I add Shredded
swiss or cheddar.

NOTES : To cut carbs , use low carb wraps instead of Pita Bread.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caribbean Chicken Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : chicken Salad

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- cut into
1/2-inch strips
1/4 cup blackened seasoning blend
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 cups lettuce -- or mixed salad greens
3 cups fresh peaches -- peeled and diced
1 cup red onion -- sliced 1" thick
1 medium red bell pepper -- chopped
1 1/3 cups vinaigrette -- fruit flavored

1.Place chicken in heavy-duty resealable plastic food-storage bag. Sprinkle
seasoning blend over chicken; seal bag and shake until chicken is evenly
coated.

2.Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 10 to
12 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center. Remove
chicken from skillet; drain on paper towels.

3.Toss salad greens, peaches, onion and bell pepper in large bowl; divide
evenly among 8 plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette.

Start to Finish Time:
"0:27"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 391 Calories; 26g Fat (59.1% calories
from fat); 28g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 66mg
Cholesterol; 80mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2
Fruit; 5 Fat.

Serving Ideas : 8

NOTES : Variation
Add a little more taste of the Tropics! Look for mango or papaya in your
grocery store, and use for the peach.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Italian Chicken Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chicken Salad

1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 envelope Italian salad dressing -- (0.7 ounce)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 each boneless skinless chicken breast halves
6 cups lettuce -- or mixed greens, bite sized
2 each plum tomatoes -- chopped (2/3 cup)

1.In medium bowl, mix vinegars and water. Stir in dressing mix. Stir in oil.
Divide dressing mixture in half.

2.Place chicken in shallow glass or plastic dish or heavy-duty resealable
plastic food-storage bag. Pour half of the dressing mixture over chicken;
turn chicken to coat. Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate 15 minutes.
Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing mixture.

3.Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove chicken from marinade;
reserve marinade. Cover and grill chicken over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes,
turning and brushing with marinade occasionally, until juice of chicken is
clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Discard any remaining
marinade.

4.Cut chicken into slices. Serve chicken on salad greens with remaining
dressing mixture. Top with tomatoes.

Start to Finish Time:
"0:45"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 460 Calories; 34g Fat (64.8% calories
from fat); 29g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 68mg
Cholesterol; 550mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit;
6 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve With
Grill sliced fresh mushrooms or bell peppers with the chicken.
Substitution
Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful distinctive flavor to this pretty salad,
but you can also use red wine vinegar.
Time Saver
No time to grill? Cut the chicken into slices, marinate as directed, then
drain and discard marinade. Cook in a skillet over medium heat 4 to 5
minutes, stirring constantly, until no longer pink in center.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Chicken Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chicken Ranch Dressing

2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 bag Italian-blend salad greens -- or blend your own
1 can artichoke hearts -- (14 oz) drained, chopped
1 can chopped olives -- (4 1/4 oz) drained
1/4 cup Italian dressing -- zesty or your own.

1.In large bowl, mix all ingredients except dressing.

2.Toss salad with dressing until coated.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

Start to Finish Time:
"0:10"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 114 Calories; 5g Fat (35.6% calories
from fat); 15g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol;
279mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve whole-grain crusty rolls and fresh fruit with this
dinner salad.

NOTES : Health Twist
Use a fat-free Italian or balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

I didn't have the Nutrition numbers for the salad greens...it's probably 3-4
carbs per serving

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Light Lemon-Dijon Chicken Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chicken Salad

Lemon-Dijon Dressing
1/4 cup lowfat mayonnaise -- or salad dressing
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
Salad
4 cups romaine lettuce -- shredded
2 cups cooked chicken breast halves -- shreddedor chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed -- sliced drained
1 egg -- hard boile and chopped
2 medium green onions -- sliced (2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese -- if desired

1.In small bowl, beat all dressing ingredients with wire whisk until well
blended.

2.On individual serving plates, arrange lettuce, chicken, tomatoes and egg.
Spoon dressing over top. Sprinkle with onions and cheese.

S(Internet Address):
Start to Finish Time:
"0:20"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 298 Calories; 15g Fat (46.7% calories
from fat); 34g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 142mg
Cholesterol; 296mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : How-To
To shred romaine lettuce, after washing and drying leaves, stack a pile of
leaves on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut leaves crosswise into
thin strips. Measure 4 cups lightly packed shreds for this salad.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:45:52 -0700, "Jacquie"
> wrote:

> Most of these are chicken salads.

LOL - you know, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for chicken
salad outside an American cookery book. My chicken salad recipe would
be something like "go to the fridge; extract whatever looks good to go
with chicken; mix up a dressing that feels good today; serve on salad
leaves".

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:45:52 -0700, "Jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>> Most of these are chicken salads.

> LOL - you know, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for chicken
> salad outside an American cookery book. My chicken salad recipe would
> be something like "go to the fridge; extract whatever looks good to go
> with chicken; mix up a dressing that feels good today; serve on salad
> leaves".

LOL, that would be mine too. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
: On Wed, 13 May 2009 08:41:54 +0100, Nicky
: > wrote:

: >On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:45:52 -0700, "Jacquie"
: > wrote:
: >
: >> Most of these are chicken salads.
: >
: >LOL - you know, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for chicken
: >salad outside an American cookery book. My chicken salad recipe would
: >be something like "go to the fridge; extract whatever looks good to go
: >with chicken; mix up a dressing that feels good today; serve on salad
: >leaves".

: You too? I thought it was just me. I had chicken salad last
: night for dinner. So did my wife.

: I had cold chicken left-overs from Sunday's Mother's Day
: roast. The tossed salad was lettuce, home-grown cherry
: tomatoes, cubes of cheddar cheese, slices of capsicum
: (peppers), chopped celery all dressed with whole egg mayo,
: with a tiny serve of potato salad. Hers was similar but no
: capsicum or celery and a heaped portion of potato salad.

: Next time I have chicken salad at least half the ingredients
: will be different. It all depends what's in the fridge and
: in season.

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"

Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly ground
black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed toast
for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
necessary.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You could do that with any food...but it is nice to see recipes to see how
many ways you can use that food. We eat allot of cold salads in AZ because
of the heat. Don't want to heat up the kitchen when it is 110 degrees F
outside

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:45:52 -0700, "Jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>> Most of these are chicken salads.

> LOL - you know, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for chicken
> salad outside an American cookery book. My chicken salad recipe would
> be something like "go to the fridge; extract whatever looks good to go
> with chicken; mix up a dressing that feels good today; serve on salad
> leaves".
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Alan S > wrote:
> : On Wed, 13 May 2009 08:41:54 +0100, Nicky
> : > wrote:
>
> : >On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:45:52 -0700, "Jacquie"
> : > wrote:
> : >
> : >> Most of these are chicken salads.
> : >
> : >LOL - you know, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for chicken
> : >salad outside an American cookery book. My chicken salad recipe would
> : >be something like "go to the fridge; extract whatever looks good to go
> : >with chicken; mix up a dressing that feels good today; serve on salad
> : >leaves".
>
> : You too? I thought it was just me. I had chicken salad last
> : night for dinner. So did my wife.
>
> : I had cold chicken left-overs from Sunday's Mother's Day
> : roast. The tossed salad was lettuce, home-grown cherry
> : tomatoes, cubes of cheddar cheese, slices of capsicum
> : (peppers), chopped celery all dressed with whole egg mayo,
> : with a tiny serve of potato salad. Hers was similar but no
> : capsicum or celery and a heaped portion of potato salad.
>
> : Next time I have chicken salad at least half the ingredients
> : will be different. It all depends what's in the fridge and
> : in season.
>

> : Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>
> One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"
>
> Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
> Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly ground
> black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed toast
> for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
> necessary.
>
> Wendy

You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need toast.
I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to it
too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"
> >
> > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
> > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly ground
> > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed toast
> > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
> > necessary.
> >
> > Wendy
> >

> You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need toast.
> I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to it
> too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo

I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article > ,
: "Jacquie" > wrote:

: > > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"
: > >
: > > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
: > > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly ground
: > > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed toast
: > > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
: > > necessary.
: > >
: > > Wendy
: > >
: > You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need toast.
: > I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to it
: > too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo

: I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)

: PP

But it is not a club sandwich salad then:-( It might be a great chicken
or turkey salad, but, I guess, I am a a purist:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article > ,
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
>> > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"
>> >
>> > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
>> > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly
>> > ground
>> > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed
>> > toast
>> > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
>> > necessary.
>> >
>> > Wendy
>> >

>> You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need
>> toast.
>> I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to it
>> too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo

> I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)
>
> PP

MMMM...Yes that would be tasty...I love avocados

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article > ,
> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> : > > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich
> Salad"
> : > >
> : > > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
> : > > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly
> ground
> : > > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed
> toast
> : > > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really
> not
> : > > necessary.
> : > >
> : > > Wendy
> : > >
> : > You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need
> toast.
> : > I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to
> it
> : > too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo
>
> : I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)
>
> : PP
>
> But it is not a club sandwich salad then:-( It might be a great chicken
> or turkey salad, but, I guess, I am a a purist:-)
>
> Wendy

I have had avocado served on the side with my club sandwich
I found this online...it's probably more than any of us wanted to know about
the club sandwich...but it is interesting

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...ubSandwich.htm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article > ,
> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> : > > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich Salad"
> : > >
> : > > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add some
> : > > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly
> : > > ground
> : > > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed
> : > > toast
> : > > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really not
> : > > necessary.
> : > >
> : > > Wendy
> : > >
> : > You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need
> : > toast.
> : > I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles to it
> : > too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo
>
> : I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)
>
> : PP
>
> But it is not a club sandwich salad then:-( It might be a great chicken
> or turkey salad, but, I guess, I am a a purist:-)

I've seen club sandwiches with avocado. Admittedly at upscale
restaurants, but still... It's the three slices of bread that make is a
club sandwich.

PP.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : In article > ,
>> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>>
>> : > > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich
>> Salad"
>> : > >
>> : > > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add
>> some
>> : > > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly
>> : > > ground
>> : > > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed
>> : > > toast
>> : > > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really
>> not
>> : > > necessary.
>> : > >
>> : > > Wendy
>> : > >
>> : > You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really need
>> : > toast.
>> : > I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles
>> to it
>> : > too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo
>>
>> : I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)
>>
>> : PP
>>
>> But it is not a club sandwich salad then:-( It might be a great chicken
>> or turkey salad, but, I guess, I am a a purist:-)

> I've seen club sandwiches with avocado. Admittedly at upscale
> restaurants, but still... It's the three slices of bread that make is a
> club sandwich.
>
> PP.

I guess that is debatable between Historians

"1930's - Some historians think that the sandwich was originally only a
two-decker and that it originated aboard the double-decker "club cars" of
our early trains in America that traveled from New York to Chicago in the
1930's and 1940's.

James Beard (1903-1985), American chef and food writer wrote the following
about the Club Sandwich in his book, James Beard's American Cookery:

. . . it is one of the great sandwiches of all time and has swept its way
around the world after an American beginning. Nowadays the sandwich is
*******ized because it is usually made as a three-decker, which is not
authentic (whoever started that horror should be forced to eat three-deckers
three times a day the rest of his life), and nowadays practically everyone
uses turkey and there's a vast difference between turkey and chicken where
sandwiches are concerned."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news >
>> In article >,
>> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>
>>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>> : In article > ,
>>> : "Jacquie" > wrote:
>>>
>>> : > > One of my favorite chicken or turkey salads is my "Club Sandwich
>>> Salad"
>>> : > >
>>> : > > Chunk the chicken or turkey meat, chunk some ripe tomatoes, add
>>> some
>>> : > > Baco-bits (Real bacon if not kosher) and add mayo to taste, fresly
>>> : > > ground
>>> : > > black pepper and serve on crisp lettuce. You cna serve some cubed
>>> : > > toast
>>> : > > for the non-diabetics in the famil to put on top, but it it really
>>> not
>>> : > > necessary.
>>> : > >
>>> : > > Wendy
>>> : > >
>>> : > You could probably toast a slice of low carb bread if you really
>>> need
>>> : > toast.
>>> : > I like the Club Sandwich Salad too, I add grated or cheese crumbles
>>> to it
>>> : > too....sometimes a tiny bit of Ranch Dressing.to the mayo
>>>
>>> : I think some chunks of avocado would go in there very nicely. :-)
>>>
>>> : PP
>>>
>>> But it is not a club sandwich salad then:-( It might be a great chicken
>>> or turkey salad, but, I guess, I am a a purist:-)

>> I've seen club sandwiches with avocado. Admittedly at upscale
>> restaurants, but still... It's the three slices of bread that make is a
>> club sandwich.
>>
>> PP.
>>

> I guess that is debatable between Historians
>
> "1930's - Some historians think that the sandwich was originally only a
> two-decker and that it originated aboard the double-decker "club cars" of
> our early trains in America that traveled from New York to Chicago in the
> 1930's and 1940's.
>
> James Beard (1903-1985), American chef and food writer wrote the following
> about the Club Sandwich in his book, James Beard's American Cookery:
>
> . . . it is one of the great sandwiches of all time and has swept its way
> around the world after an American beginning. Nowadays the sandwich is
> *******ized because it is usually made as a three-decker, which is not
> authentic (whoever started that horror should be forced to eat
> three-deckers three times a day the rest of his life), and nowadays
> practically everyone uses turkey and there's a vast difference between
> turkey and chicken where sandwiches are concerned."

That third slice of bread is the reason I never ordered one. I just don't
like bread that much even when I could eat it.

The cafeteria where I used to work had something they called a turkey club.
It was sliced turkey with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo on a soft long
roll. They had a BLT club as well and I think something with ham but I
never ordered that.