Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lemon "Mousse"

I had a taste of the most delightful concoction at our office
Thanksgiving "lunch" yesterday. It's a potluck event, and we have a big
department, so there was a lot of variety. (I took red cabbage with
apples and caraway.) The desserts had their own conference room for
their display, and there was plenty to choose from. I took small
helpings of a few things, knowing I was chief dish washer after lunch
was over and thus might burn off a little. One thing I took was a
spoonful of what I thought was vanilla pudding. When I later applied it
to my mouth, however, it zinged with the essence of lemon meringue pie.
Really tasty! When I put out an email call for the recipe I was shocked
to learn it was made of all kinds of nasty prepared food items. Plus,
of course, it was LOADED with sugar. (Everything in that room was!)
But I think it could be adapted.

Here's the original recipe:

*******

8 oz. hot water (note: I think he meant 16 oz since he later references
"2 cups of hot water")
2 3oz packages of lemon Jello
2 lemons
8 oz. 7up
8 oz. CoolWhip

In a large bowl dissolve the lemon jello in 2 cups of hot water. Add the
juice of two lemons and mix thoroughly until the gelatin is well
dissolved.

Add the 7up and stir gently (it will foam).
Refrigerate for two hours (until the jello solidifies).

Beat the solidified jello in the bowl until it has a smooth texture.
With a spatula fold 3/4 of the cool whip under; keep folding until all
blobs of the whip are dissolved (this may take 10-15 minutes of folding,
a real manual activity).
Pour into a nice glass dish and refrigerate.
Before serving garnish with fresh berries.

It's pretty easy. One recipe will serve 10-15 people.

*******

I was thinking that sugar free Jello could be used, and there's some
diet lemon soda, isn't there? Diet Sprite? But CoolWhip! Do you
suppose real whipped cream would stand up to all that folding and
standing? While I'm sure there's a diet CoolWhip, I would hesitate to
put that chemistry experiment into my mouth.

Ideas?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:29:13 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>I was thinking that sugar free Jello could be used, and there's some
>diet lemon soda, isn't there? Diet Sprite? But CoolWhip! Do you
>suppose real whipped cream would stand up to all that folding and
>standing? While I'm sure there's a diet CoolWhip, I would hesitate to
>put that chemistry experiment into my mouth.

Wow, there's a blast from the past - my Mum used to make that using
condensed milk, we used to call it Soapy Stuff : )

I bet whipped cream would work fine, but you'd have to fold it in
right before serving.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I had a taste of the most delightful concoction at our office
> Thanksgiving "lunch" yesterday. It's a potluck event, and we have a big
> department, so there was a lot of variety. (I took red cabbage with
> apples and caraway.) The desserts had their own conference room for
> their display, and there was plenty to choose from. I took small
> helpings of a few things, knowing I was chief dish washer after lunch
> was over and thus might burn off a little. One thing I took was a
> spoonful of what I thought was vanilla pudding. When I later applied it
> to my mouth, however, it zinged with the essence of lemon meringue pie.
> Really tasty! When I put out an email call for the recipe I was shocked
> to learn it was made of all kinds of nasty prepared food items. Plus,
> of course, it was LOADED with sugar. (Everything in that room was!)
> But I think it could be adapted.
>
> Here's the original recipe:
>
> *******
>
> 8 oz. hot water (note: I think he meant 16 oz since he later references
> "2 cups of hot water")
> 2 3oz packages of lemon Jello
> 2 lemons
> 8 oz. 7up
> 8 oz. CoolWhip
>
> In a large bowl dissolve the lemon jello in 2 cups of hot water. Add the
> juice of two lemons and mix thoroughly until the gelatin is well
> dissolved.
>
> Add the 7up and stir gently (it will foam).
> Refrigerate for two hours (until the jello solidifies).
>
> Beat the solidified jello in the bowl until it has a smooth texture.
> With a spatula fold 3/4 of the cool whip under; keep folding until all
> blobs of the whip are dissolved (this may take 10-15 minutes of folding,
> a real manual activity).
> Pour into a nice glass dish and refrigerate.
> Before serving garnish with fresh berries.
>
> It's pretty easy. One recipe will serve 10-15 people.
>
> *******
>
> I was thinking that sugar free Jello could be used, and there's some
> diet lemon soda, isn't there? Diet Sprite? But CoolWhip! Do you
> suppose real whipped cream would stand up to all that folding and
> standing? While I'm sure there's a diet CoolWhip, I would hesitate to
> put that chemistry experiment into my mouth.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Priscilla

i was thinking the exact same substitutes as you were, Priscilla

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would use a double boiler (bowl over a pot of water on the stove) and heat
the water and jello and "cook" and whip eggwhites into it to make a fluffy
lemon mouse and chill that...or id use your recipe and use real cream after
the jello was cool to whip in and serve right away or keep chilled in the
fridge.

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>I had a taste of the most delightful concoction at our office
> Thanksgiving "lunch" yesterday. It's a potluck event, and we have a big
> department, so there was a lot of variety. (I took red cabbage with
> apples and caraway.) The desserts had their own conference room for
> their display, and there was plenty to choose from. I took small
> helpings of a few things, knowing I was chief dish washer after lunch
> was over and thus might burn off a little. One thing I took was a
> spoonful of what I thought was vanilla pudding. When I later applied it
> to my mouth, however, it zinged with the essence of lemon meringue pie.
> Really tasty! When I put out an email call for the recipe I was shocked
> to learn it was made of all kinds of nasty prepared food items. Plus,
> of course, it was LOADED with sugar. (Everything in that room was!)
> But I think it could be adapted.
>
> Here's the original recipe:
>
> *******
>
> 8 oz. hot water (note: I think he meant 16 oz since he later references
> "2 cups of hot water")
> 2 3oz packages of lemon Jello
> 2 lemons
> 8 oz. 7up
> 8 oz. CoolWhip
>
> In a large bowl dissolve the lemon jello in 2 cups of hot water. Add the
> juice of two lemons and mix thoroughly until the gelatin is well
> dissolved.
>
> Add the 7up and stir gently (it will foam).
> Refrigerate for two hours (until the jello solidifies).
>
> Beat the solidified jello in the bowl until it has a smooth texture.
> With a spatula fold 3/4 of the cool whip under; keep folding until all
> blobs of the whip are dissolved (this may take 10-15 minutes of folding,
> a real manual activity).
> Pour into a nice glass dish and refrigerate.
> Before serving garnish with fresh berries.
>
> It's pretty easy. One recipe will serve 10-15 people.
>
> *******
>
> I was thinking that sugar free Jello could be used, and there's some
> diet lemon soda, isn't there? Diet Sprite? But CoolWhip! Do you
> suppose real whipped cream would stand up to all that folding and
> standing? While I'm sure there's a diet CoolWhip, I would hesitate to
> put that chemistry experiment into my mouth.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom > wrote:
: i am making a low carb pumpkin pie..the pumkin doesnt spike me ..nor does
: the heavy cream and eggs or the spices..it would only be the crust and im
: gonna try that low carb crust made with cream cheese and carbalose.

: KROM

I either make a pupkin custard without crust or use a simple ground nut
crust, just finely ground walnts and a littls splenda mix and press into
pie pan, bake for 10-15 mins and let cool. fill with pupkin filling and
bake again.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> This is very good too:
>
> Jennifer's Lemon Mousse
>
> 3 eggs separated
> Juice from 1/2 a lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
> 4 tablespoons butter
> Grated peel from 1/2 lemon
> 1/2 cup plus 2 tsp. artificial sweetener
> 1/2 cup whipping cream
>
> Beat yolks, lemon juice, peel and 1/4 cup of sweetener. Cook on low heat
> (adding butter in 1/2 tbl chunks 2 or 3 pieces at a time) until it thickens
> enough to coat a spoon. Take off heat, transfer to a heat proof bowl and
> stir while it cools.
>
> This is lemon curd delicious by itself if anyone is afraid of uncooked eggs
> you could stop here. It makes a thick spread. Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup
> sweetener until stiff peaks, Fold cooled lemon mixture in. Beat cream with 2
> tsp. sweetener, fold egg white -lemon mixture in. It makes 6 servings.

YUM!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You can whip eggs over a double boiler to be extra careful...only cream
needs to be cold to get a good whip..egg white do not.

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote
>> This is lemon curd delicious by itself if anyone is afraid of uncooked
>> eggs
>> you could stop here. It makes a thick spread. Beat egg whites with 1/4
>> cup
>> sweetener until stiff peaks, Fold cooled lemon mixture in. Beat cream
>> with 2
>> tsp. sweetener, fold egg white -lemon mixture in. It makes 6 servings.

> YUM!
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yeah ive done it with nuts..but im trying to make a good as real hold a
slice pie crusty crust..lol

KROM