Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lovely simple bake mix

I've been hankering after Jennifer Eloff's books for a while, but for
some reason they're prohibitively expensive in the UK. I was delighted
to find this recipe on-line recently:

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html

Nick, if you're reading this, I bet this makes good scones - just note
the amount / liquid notes at the bottom.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> I've been hankering after Jennifer Eloff's books for a while, but for
> some reason they're prohibitively expensive in the UK. I was delighted
> to find this recipe on-line recently:
>
> http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html
>
> Nick, if you're reading this, I bet this makes good scones - just note
> the amount / liquid notes at the bottom.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Nicky, I have both "Splendid Desserts" and "More Splendid Desserts", and
aside from the cheesecakes, there's only a couple of recipes that
aren't carb-laden. The second book is better than the first, IMO.

I did have them on the computer (that's how I taught myself to type),
but my new machine doesn't have a floppy drive so I can't load the
darned things!

If you can get a copy of the Zucchini Coffeecake recipe, that's the one
worth trying IMO. I can't remember which book it's in and my books are
in storage.

The recipe for the bake mix is newer - maybe her newer recipes are
tailored for low carbers as well as diabetics.

BTW, I priced Bob's Red Mill Almond flour today. CDN$15.99 (8 pounds)
for 350g. Ouch! I make my own. Bob's low carb bake mix isn't available here.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:12:40 -0400, percy >
wrote:

>Nicky, I have both "Splendid Desserts" and "More Splendid Desserts", and
> aside from the cheesecakes, there's only a couple of recipes that
>aren't carb-laden. The second book is better than the first, IMO.

Wow! I thought she was a low-carber through and through! I'm after her
specifically low carb books, Splendid Low Carbing for instance; I hope
she doesn't spoil it with the wrong sugar alcohols, etc.

>BTW, I priced Bob's Red Mill Almond flour today. CDN$15.99 (8 pounds)
>for 350g. Ouch! I make my own. Bob's low carb bake mix isn't available here.

Ouch indeed! It's quite reasonable over here. I can buy it in any
supermarket, but the best buy is online, 910g for UKP 8.90.

Love your learning-to-type methods, btw : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> I've been hankering after Jennifer Eloff's books for a while, but for
> some reason they're prohibitively expensive in the UK. I was delighted
> to find this recipe on-line recently:
>
> http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html
>
> Nick, if you're reading this, I bet this makes good scones - just note
> the amount / liquid notes at the bottom.

Thanks, Nicky. You know I follow you around like an old hound dog. ;-)

When I went to the web site, it shut my computer down. @#$%^&

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23 Oct 2008 07:12:37 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>Nicky > wrote:
>> I've been hankering after Jennifer Eloff's books for a while, but for
>> some reason they're prohibitively expensive in the UK. I was delighted
>> to find this recipe on-line recently:
>>
>> http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html
>>
>> Nick, if you're reading this, I bet this makes good scones - just note
>> the amount / liquid notes at the bottom.

>Thanks, Nicky. You know I follow you around like an old hound dog. ;-)
>
>When I went to the web site, it shut my computer down. @#$%^&

Ingredients & Methods
Yield: 3 1/3 cups (1/3 cup per serving)
Jennifers note: All these bake mix ingredients should be
available at places like Trader Joes or upscale grocery or
fi tness/health stores. Vital wheat gluten is 75% protein
and is not the same as gluten flour. Bobs Red Mill makes
vital wheat gluten. Make sure the whey protein powder is an
isolate or a mix of isolates and concentrates. *Ground
almonds produce 1/3 cup greater yield than. almond flour
(finer).
1 2/3 cups ground almonds*
2/3 cup vanilla OR plain whey protein isolate
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
Nutrition at a Glance (per serving)
Calories 162.9
Total fat 10.3 g
Carbohydrate 3.3 g
Protein 14.3 g

Method:

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein,
and vital wheat gluten; mix well. To use this bake mix: For
every cup of flour, substitute 1 cup of Low-Carb Bake Mix
plus ¼ cup. Use ¼ cup to ½ cup less liquid or wet
ingredients in your recipes.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Analysis of a Day's Meals)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:12:40 -0400, percy >
> wrote:
>
>> Nicky, I have both "Splendid Desserts" and "More Splendid Desserts", and
>> aside from the cheesecakes, there's only a couple of recipes that
>> aren't carb-laden. The second book is better than the first, IMO.

> Wow! I thought she was a low-carber through and through! I'm after her
> specifically low carb books, Splendid Low Carbing for instance; I hope
> she doesn't spoil it with the wrong sugar alcohols, etc.

Her hubby is T2. I suspect as time went by, they both realized taking
out the sugar wasn't enough. I'm glad to see things have changed.

I was going to say her books should be readily available here because
she's Canadian, but *none* of her LC books are listed at
chapters.indigo.ca. Her first 2 books were published by McMillan Canada,
I see now she uses Eureka Publishing out of Montana, so I'd bet the
gov't was messing around in there somewhere because our gov't is *very*
anti-LC.

Our gov't. has consistently quashed any effort to introduce low carb to
the Canadian population in recent years. F'n sucks, IMO.

Vicki

>> BTW, I priced Bob's Red Mill Almond flour today. CDN$15.99 (8 pounds)
>> for 350g. Ouch! I make my own. Bob's low carb bake mix isn't available here.

> Ouch indeed! It's quite reasonable over here. I can buy it in any
> supermarket, but the best buy is online, 910g for UKP 8.90.
>
> Love your learning-to-type methods, btw : )
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >Nicky > wrote:
> >> I've been hankering after Jennifer Eloff's books for a while, but for
> >> some reason they're prohibitively expensive in the UK. I was delighted
> >> to find this recipe on-line recently:
> >>
> >> http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html
> >>
> >> Nick, if you're reading this, I bet this makes good scones - just note
> >> the amount / liquid notes at the bottom.

> >Thanks, Nicky. You know I follow you around like an old hound dog. ;-)
> >
> >When I went to the web site, it shut my computer down. @#$%^&

> Ingredients & Methods [Snipped, but saved]

Thanks, Nicky and Alan!