Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chocolates ... candy

Just splurged on some flavored chocolates made with erythritol. The order
came today. I like them a lot although they are a bit pricy but you have to
treat yourself occasionally, right? Anyway, all handmade, no maltitol, no
gluten, low carb. I ordered the "teenies" ... little foil wrapped
individual bites of chocolate. I haven't had a candy jar out in two years,
until now. Thought you might want to take a look. At least those of you
who eat erythritol products. I bake with it frequently and have learned to
mix it with other sweetners to calm down the cooling effect taste it seems
to have. Their ingredients include oligofructose along with erythritol. I
don't taste the coolness so I guess it works in candy too.

http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Barbara H" > wrote in message
> Just splurged on some flavored chocolates made with erythritol. The order
> came today. I like them a lot although they are a bit pricy but you have
> to treat yourself occasionally, right? Anyway, all handmade, no maltitol,
> no gluten, low carb. I ordered the "teenies" ... little foil wrapped
> individual bites of chocolate. I haven't had a candy jar out in two
> years, until now. Thought you might want to take a look. At least those
> of you who eat erythritol products. I bake with it frequently and have
> learned to mix it with other sweetners to calm down the cooling effect
> taste it seems to have. Their ingredients include oligofructose along
> with erythritol. I don't taste the coolness so I guess it works in candy
> too.
>
> http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html

Isn't ogliofructose a bad thing?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>> http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html
>>

> That oligofructose stuff produces enough gas to power some small
> developing nations! :-)
>
> I just eat 72-85% dark with a touch of sugar.
>
> I, too, mix erythritol with other sweeteners, and avoid using it in
> anything creamy.
>
> Susan

I did not know that. I've not had that experience with it fortunately. It
is a vegetable sweetner derived from chicory root and I've not seen any
negatives listed. Oh well! It must be in small enough amounts that it
didn't get me. I even have some at home I've baked with. It is considered
a fiber (inulin??) so that makes sense. I thought it was a healthy source
of fiber and the fact that it is sweet just made it better. Go figure.

Barbara H
T2, dx 7/06, metformin 1500, byetta 5x2 A1c temporarily at 6.4

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Barbara H" > wrote in message
>> Just splurged on some flavored chocolates made with erythritol. The
>> order came today. I like them a lot although they are a bit pricy but
>> you have to treat yourself occasionally, right? Anyway, all handmade, no
>> maltitol, no gluten, low carb. I ordered the "teenies" ... little foil
>> wrapped individual bites of chocolate. I haven't had a candy jar out in
>> two years, until now. Thought you might want to take a look. At least
>> those of you who eat erythritol products. I bake with it frequently and
>> have learned to mix it with other sweetners to calm down the cooling
>> effect taste it seems to have. Their ingredients include oligofructose
>> along with erythritol. I don't taste the coolness so I guess it works in
>> candy too.
>>
>> http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html

> Isn't ogliofructose a bad thing?

I've only read good things about it as a vegetable sweetner and source of
fiber and very beneficial to the digestive tract. However, I realize you
can't believe everything you read. I use it from time to time and haven't
had any bad effects from it. In fact, it's one of the most natural tasting
sweetners I've used. Netrition sells it as "Sweet Perfection". It's so
expensive I just use very small amounts mixed with other sweetners. Maybe
that's why I've not been able to power any small countries with "natural
gas". :-)

Barbara H
T2, dx 7/06, metformin 1500, byetta 5x2, A1c temporarily 6.4

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:52:09 -0500, "Barbara H"
> wrote:

>>> http://store.mainecottagefoods.com/index.html
>>>

>> That oligofructose stuff produces enough gas to power some small
>> developing nations! :-)
>>
>> I just eat 72-85% dark with a touch of sugar.
>>
>> I, too, mix erythritol with other sweeteners, and avoid using it in
>> anything creamy.
>>
>> Susan

>I did not know that. I've not had that experience with it fortunately. It
>is a vegetable sweetner derived from chicory root and I've not seen any
>negatives listed. Oh well! It must be in small enough amounts that it
>didn't get me. I even have some at home I've baked with. It is considered
>a fiber (inulin??) so that makes sense. I thought it was a healthy source
>of fiber and the fact that it is sweet just made it better. Go figure.
>
>Barbara H
>T2, dx 7/06, metformin 1500, byetta 5x2 A1c temporarily at 6.4

Why not try good 70% or higher real chocolate? Works for me,
a couple of squares a day.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)

Chocolates conjurer122 Chocolate 13 06-09-2012 12:56 PM
Candy tempering units,candy molds and more Dove Chocolate Lover Cooking Equipment 0 07-08-2008 09:18 PM
Leche Quemada (candy) Mexican Candy Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2006 07:31 AM
Hot Cinnamon Candy (romantic candy recipes for Valentine's Day) Duckie ® Recipes 0 31-01-2004 08:38 PM
chocolates!!!!!! jayanthi Chocolate 3 11-11-2003 12:53 PM