Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pie

Saw a recipe yesterday where 500mls of custard was heated and whilst hot a
flavoured jelly (jell-o) was mixed through til the crystals were melted.
This mix was then poured into a tart shell and left to set. It had me
wondering whether one could make up a sugar free pudding with added sugar
free jelly and instead of the empty tart shell put the mix onto an
almond-meal base or similar. With some sliced berries on top and some
whipped cream, I am thinking, delish!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Saw a recipe yesterday where 500mls of custard was heated and whilst hot a
> flavoured jelly (jell-o) was mixed through til the crystals were melted.
> This mix was then poured into a tart shell and left to set. It had me
> wondering whether one could make up a sugar free pudding with added sugar
> free jelly and instead of the empty tart shell put the mix onto an
> almond-meal base or similar. With some sliced berries on top and some
> whipped cream, I am thinking, delish!

When I was pregnant and had GD, I bought a couple of diabetic cookbooks.
One of them had a pie filling recipe that I never actually put in a pie
shell. I can't remember if there was a recipe for a pie shell or not. At
any rate, I put it in little plastic cups as a way of gagging down the fruit
the dietician said I needed to eat. It called for frozen berries, sugar
free Jell-O and sugar free instant pudding mix. I am pretty sure there was
water in the mix, but I don't think there was any milk. The pudding mix
gave it an opaque quality and the resulting mix was in my mind kind of
weird. But then I was never fond of pudding or Jell-O. Or berries for that
matter. At any rate, the mixture was interesting enough that I was able to
eat it for a couple of weeks before never wanting to see it again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Saw a recipe yesterday where 500mls of custard was heated and whilst hot a
> flavoured jelly (jell-o) was mixed through til the crystals were melted.
> This mix was then poured into a tart shell and left to set. It had me
> wondering whether one could make up a sugar free pudding with added sugar
> free jelly and instead of the empty tart shell put the mix onto an
> almond-meal base or similar. With some sliced berries on top and some
> whipped cream, I am thinking, delish!

I frequently make "mini-pies" using an almond flour/carbalose combo crust
usually with some finely chopped pecans added. Baked in individual custard
or baking dishes.

I use instant sugar free custard and mix one 3 oz. box with 1 c. skim milk
and 1 c. soy milk. I stir together 3 or 4 ounces of soft cream cheese with
sweetner added and some whipped topping to make it a little fluffy and
either put a layer of this on top of the baked crust followed by the pudding
mix and a topping of choice. Or I will sometimes wisk the cream cheese
mixture into the custard. Makes it very rich and creamy. Makes 4 to 6
servings depending on the size custard dish you use.

Some favorite flavors in the sugar free instant pudding mix are cheesecake
with strawberries sliced on top or even no sugar cherry pie filling, white
chocolate with a little dark chocolate grated on top and of course chocolate
fudge. The last one is best with a layer of the cream cheese mixture
between the pudding and the crust. Lemon is another favorite but only when
fresh lemon zest is added to the cream cheese mixture.

One portion never spikes me but I have to watch that I leave any left overs
alone! My family prefers these little pies to the real thing! That helps
keep the left overs to a minimum.

Barbara H
T2, dx 7/06, metformin 1500, Byetta 5x2