FoodBanter.com

-   -   Potatoes au whatever dinner (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/157973-potatoes-au-whatever-dinner.html)

Nick Cramer 04-07-2008 10:03 AM

Potatoes au whatever dinner

BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til translucent.
Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by 1/3. Added 1/2 cup
of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most delicious! One hour PP
BG 77.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Robert Miles 04-07-2008 10:44 AM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til
> translucent.
> Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by 1/3. Added 1/2
> cup
> of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most delicious! One hour PP
> BG 77.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

With that much fat in the recipe, you may need to check your PP again
at 2 hours, and maybe 3 and 4 hours also, to see if the fat has delayed
your peak reading but not reduced it much.

Nick Cramer 04-07-2008 12:30 PM

"Robert Miles" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til
> > translucent.
> > Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by 1/3. Added 1/2
> > cup
> > of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most delicious! One hour
> > PP BG 77.

> With that much fat in the recipe, you may need to check your PP again
> at 2 hours, and maybe 3 and 4 hours also, to see if the fat has delayed
> your peak reading but not reduced it much.

Thanks, Robert. Too late now, but I'll try to remember that
fat/delayed-spike thing in the future.

Tiger_Lily 05-07-2008 04:42 AM

Nick Cramer wrote:
> BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til translucent.
> Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by 1/3. Added 1/2 cup
> of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most delicious! One hour PP
> BG 77.

ok............
i have never seen translucent potatoes

golden brown when fried, white when boiled or baked

help! :)

--
kate
type 1 since 1987

Nick Cramer 05-07-2008 06:38 AM

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til
> > translucent. Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by
> > 1/3. Added 1/2 cup of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most
> > delicious! One hour PP BG 77.
> >

> ok............
> i have never seen translucent potatoes
>
> golden brown when fried, white when boiled or baked
>
> help! :)

Well, I don't know. I sliced 'em thin, then simmered them 'til they were,
um, translucent, like onions or garlic get when so treated. Yes, when fried
at a higher temp, they do get a nice crisp golden brown, and go good with
bacon or sausage and up-eggs. Baked potatoes are most certainly white, and
go good with butter, sour cream, chives and lots of black pepper. I've
gotta start adding turmeric with my BP.

Julie Bove 05-07-2008 09:03 AM

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> BG 78. Slow sauteed 1/2 cup of sliced potatoes in butter, 'til
>> translucent.
>> Added 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and simmered 'til reduced by 1/3. Added 1/2
>> cup
>> of Limburger cheese and simmered 'til melted. Most delicious! One hour PP
>> BG 77.
>>

> ok............
> i have never seen translucent potatoes
>
> golden brown when fried, white when boiled or baked
>
> help! :)

I have. I made some the other day in the crockpot. Oil the crock with
olive oil then layer 4 large, thinly sliced Yukon Golds, 2 large white
onions thinly sliced and cut in bite sized pieces. Sprinkle on salt,
pepper, and parsley and some olive oil between each layer until you get it
all in there. Then pour on 8 oz. of vegetable broth. Cook on high for an
hour, then on low till dinner time. That's assuming you put them on around
9 in the morning like I did. The thinnest slices will be pretty see
through.