Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Better numbers with salad.

This doesn't make sense to me because the carb count is about the same as
with other meals I eat, but when I eat this salad, my numbers are lower. I
get it at the salad bar. I take a very small amount (1 cup or less total)
of assorted leave such as mesclun, romaine and spinach. Then I top it with
a good layer of carrots, grape tomatoes, black olives and green onions. I
add a couple of large spoonfuls of kidney beans, garbanzo beans and four
ears of baby corn. In addition, I have a small container of tabouli. I
will often eat a handful of walnuts with this meal. Just salt and pepper on
it. No dressing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This doesn't make sense to me because the carb count is about the same as
> with other meals I eat, but when I eat this salad, my numbers are lower.
> I get it at the salad bar. I take a very small amount (1 cup or less
> total) of assorted leave such as mesclun, romaine and spinach. Then I top
> it with a good layer of carrots, grape tomatoes, black olives and green
> onions. I add a couple of large spoonfuls of kidney beans, garbanzo beans
> and four ears of baby corn. In addition, I have a small container of
> tabouli. I will often eat a handful of walnuts with this meal. Just salt
> and pepper on it. No dressing.

Julie:

I'm no expert at this, but based on the diabetic class I just participated
in last week, I think the reason you find the above meal doesn't spike you
is because it is RAW veggies, which digest radically different than cooked.

in fact, in the class they mentioned that many people spike on cooked
carrots, but most people had no issues with raw.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Every person digests things different.

It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast then by
time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

But the salad has alot of fiber and the nuts are healthy fat and protien...

Bottom line is if it works for her thats great!

Me i cant eat carrots raw or cooked because they spike me bad..but pinapple
and strawberries i can eat pints of em and not budge my bg at all.

KROM

"Willy" > wrote
> I'm no expert at this, but based on the diabetic class I just participated
> in last week, I think the reason you find the above meal doesn't spike you
> is because it is RAW veggies, which digest radically different than
> cooked.
>
> in fact, in the class they mentioned that many people spike on cooked
> carrots, but most people had no issues with raw.
>
> Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> This doesn't make sense to me because the carb count is about the
> same as with other meals I eat, but when I eat this salad, my numbers
> are lower. I get it at the salad bar. I take a very small amount (1
> cup or less total) of assorted leave such as mesclun, romaine and
> spinach. Then I top it with a good layer of carrots, grape tomatoes,
> black olives and green onions. I add a couple of large spoonfuls of
> kidney beans, garbanzo beans and four ears of baby corn. In
> addition, I have a small container of tabouli. I will often eat a
> handful of walnuts with this meal. Just salt and pepper on it. No
> dressing.

High fibre meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom, what fruits?

krom wrote:
> Every person digests things different.
>
> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast
> then by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> This doesn't make sense to me because the carb count is about the same as
>> with other meals I eat, but when I eat this salad, my numbers are lower.
>> I get it at the salad bar. I take a very small amount (1 cup or less
>> total) of assorted leave such as mesclun, romaine and spinach. Then I
>> top it with a good layer of carrots, grape tomatoes, black olives and
>> green onions. I add a couple of large spoonfuls of kidney beans,
>> garbanzo beans and four ears of baby corn. In addition, I have a small
>> container of tabouli. I will often eat a handful of walnuts with this
>> meal. Just salt and pepper on it. No dressing.
>>

> Julie:
>
> I'm no expert at this, but based on the diabetic class I just participated
> in last week, I think the reason you find the above meal doesn't spike you
> is because it is RAW veggies, which digest radically different than
> cooked.
>
> in fact, in the class they mentioned that many people spike on cooked
> carrots, but most people had no issues with raw.

I eat most of my veggies raw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Every person digests things different.
>
> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast then by
> time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

No.

> But the salad has alot of fiber and the nuts are healthy fat and
> protien...
>
> Bottom line is if it works for her thats great!
>
> Me i cant eat carrots raw or cooked because they spike me bad..but
> pinapple and strawberries i can eat pints of em and not budge my bg at
> all.

Raw pineapple kills my mouth. I can eat strawberries with no problem, but I
rarely do. Just don't like them very much unless they are fresh from my
garden. Or were. Husband destroyed the entire strawberry patch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom, what fruits?

Tomatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> This doesn't make sense to me because the carb count is about the
>> same as with other meals I eat, but when I eat this salad, my numbers
>> are lower. I get it at the salad bar. I take a very small amount (1
>> cup or less total) of assorted leave such as mesclun, romaine and
>> spinach. Then I top it with a good layer of carrots, grape tomatoes,
>> black olives and green onions. I add a couple of large spoonfuls of
>> kidney beans, garbanzo beans and four ears of baby corn. In
>> addition, I have a small container of tabouli. I will often eat a
>> handful of walnuts with this meal. Just salt and pepper on it. No
>> dressing.

> High fibre meal.

I always eat high fiber meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Didi i missread?..i coulda swore she said she added some starchy things like
corn and orange slices to it..but i could be wrong.

Might have confused her meal with angelas in her mcdonolads and what they
can eat post.

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom, what fruits?
>
> krom wrote:
>> Every person digests things different.
>>
>> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast
>> then by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Lol..i thought ya added grapes and somthing else i know i cant eat cause it
sends me thru the roof....but tomatoes are fruit..lol..dont spike me tho.

Speakin of im growing my own this year and the wait is driving me
mad..lol..i keep passing the 5 plants expecting baseball sized
tomatos..hehe

Not even a bud of one yet :-(

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> krom, what fruits?

> Tomatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing is
HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly too.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> Every person digests things different.
>>
>> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast then
>> by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

> No.
>
>> But the salad has alot of fiber and the nuts are healthy fat and
>> protien...
>>
>> Bottom line is if it works for her thats great!
>>
>> Me i cant eat carrots raw or cooked because they spike me bad..but
>> pinapple and strawberries i can eat pints of em and not budge my bg at
>> all.

> Raw pineapple kills my mouth. I can eat strawberries with no problem, but
> I rarely do. Just don't like them very much unless they are fresh from my
> garden. Or were. Husband destroyed the entire strawberry patch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh i resaw the post...i missread grape tomatoes as grapes and the baby corn
and the carrots would spike me bad.

I tried a bite of apple again a less sweet variety and i went from 83 to 115
and felt like crap..lol..was a fast rise my body was not used to.

Took 3 hours to drop back down which really mad me the madest.

Silly disease..

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom, what fruits?
>
> krom wrote:
>> Every person digests things different.
>>
>> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast
>> then by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Looks like you might want an outdoor dog, if you can persuade it to
prefer chasing the rabbit to investigating your strawberries.

"krom" > wrote in message
>I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly too.
>
> KROM
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "krom" > wrote in message
>>> Every person digests things different.
>>>
>>> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast then
>>> by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

>> No.
>>
>>> But the salad has alot of fiber and the nuts are healthy fat and
>>> protien...
>>>
>>> Bottom line is if it works for her thats great!
>>>
>>> Me i cant eat carrots raw or cooked because they spike me bad..but
>>> pinapple and strawberries i can eat pints of em and not budge my bg at
>>> all.

>> Raw pineapple kills my mouth. I can eat strawberries with no problem,
>> but I rarely do. Just don't like them very much unless they are fresh
>> from my garden. Or were. Husband destroyed the entire strawberry patch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Didi i missread?..i coulda swore she said she added some starchy things
> like corn and orange slices to it..but i could be wrong.

I NEVER eat oranges. Yuck! I said I added kidney beans, garbanzo beans
and baby corn. None of which are fruits.

> Might have confused her meal with angelas in her mcdonolads and what they
> can eat post.

I think so.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Lol..i thought ya added grapes and somthing else i know i cant eat cause
> it sends me thru the roof....but tomatoes are fruit..lol..dont spike me
> tho.
>
> Speakin of im growing my own this year and the wait is driving me
> mad..lol..i keep passing the 5 plants expecting baseball sized
> tomatos..hehe
>
> Not even a bud of one yet :-(

I occasionally add paper thin slices of apple and pear when I make a salad
at home. But for the most part I am not a fruit lover.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Oh i resaw the post...i missread grape tomatoes as grapes and the baby
> corn and the carrots would spike me bad.
>
> I tried a bite of apple again a less sweet variety and i went from 83 to
> 115 and felt like crap..lol..was a fast rise my body was not used to.
>
> Took 3 hours to drop back down which really mad me the madest.
>
> Silly disease..

I eat carrots all the time with no problem.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
> decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
> is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
> doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly
> too.

Mmmm. Hasenpfeffer! <slurp>

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>> decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>> is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>> doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly
>> too.

> Mmmm. Hasenpfeffer! <slurp>

Nooooooooooooo! *sniff*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom presented the following explanation :
> I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier decks
> but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing is HUGE
> now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and doesnt even
> eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly too.
>
> KROM

Years ago we had a neighbor that had the prettiest vegetable garden. I
noticed several gallon mason jars half full of water placed throughout
the garden. She told me it kept the rabbits out of her garden, and the
field was full of rabbits just barely past the garden. She planted
marigolds and zinnias in an outer row to keep out some pests.

She was not young and I am sure had learned many solutions to problems
such as that since people were raised having to produce their own meals
or go to bed hungry.

Judi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wish i could eat apple :-( so far even a bite of all the ones i tried spiked
me.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> Lol..i thought ya added grapes and somthing else i know i cant eat cause
>> it sends me thru the roof....but tomatoes are fruit..lol..dont spike me
>> tho.
>>
>> Speakin of im growing my own this year and the wait is driving me
>> mad..lol..i keep passing the 5 plants expecting baseball sized
>> tomatos..hehe
>>
>> Not even a bud of one yet :-(

> I occasionally add paper thin slices of apple and pear when I make a salad
> at home. But for the most part I am not a fruit lover.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wonder if it was really "water"?..lol..ive heard people using human hair in
water and urine to keep rabbits out..dunno if id venture that far..lol

KROM

"Judi" > wrote in message
> krom presented the following explanation :
>> I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>> decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>> is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>> doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly
>> too.
>>
>> KROM

> Years ago we had a neighbor that had the prettiest vegetable garden. I
> noticed several gallon mason jars half full of water placed throughout the
> garden. She told me it kept the rabbits out of her garden, and the field
> was full of rabbits just barely past the garden. She planted marigolds and
> zinnias in an outer row to keep out some pests.
>
> She was not young and I am sure had learned many solutions to problems
> such as that since people were raised having to produce their own meals or
> go to bed hungry.
>

> Judi

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> wish i could eat apple :-( so far even a bite of all the ones i tried
> spiked me.

I can eat them. Just don't like them all that well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

How about hanging your strawberry planter....

"krom" > wrote in message
>I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly too.
>
> KROM
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "krom" > wrote in message
>>> Every person digests things different.
>>>
>>> It could be those fruits shes adding to salad are spiking her fast then
>>> by time she tests she down..maybe not...cant say.

>> No.
>>
>>> But the salad has alot of fiber and the nuts are healthy fat and
>>> protien...
>>>
>>> Bottom line is if it works for her thats great!
>>>
>>> Me i cant eat carrots raw or cooked because they spike me bad..but
>>> pinapple and strawberries i can eat pints of em and not budge my bg at
>>> all.

>> Raw pineapple kills my mouth. I can eat strawberries with no problem,
>> but I rarely do. Just don't like them very much unless they are fresh
>> from my garden. Or were. Husband destroyed the entire strawberry patch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I live in mpls..im afraid they be stolen if i had em up where losers could
see em...cant even have lawn furniture or orniments like a nice fountain
would be gone in a hour after setting it up..lol

KROM

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> How about hanging your strawberry planter....
>
> "krom" > wrote in message
>>I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>>decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>>is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>>doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly too.
>>
>> KROM

>>> No.

>>> Raw pineapple kills my mouth. I can eat strawberries with no problem,
>>> but I rarely do. Just don't like them very much unless they are fresh
>>> from my garden. Or were. Husband destroyed the entire strawberry
>>> patch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Would they steal a dog big enough to chase a rabbit that size?

"krom" > wrote in message
>I live in mpls..im afraid they be stolen if i had em up where losers could
>see em...cant even have lawn furniture or orniments like a nice fountain
>would be gone in a hour after setting it up..lol
>
> KROM
>
> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> How about hanging your strawberry planter....
>>
>> "krom" > wrote in message
>>>I wanted to grow some strawberries in a jar dealie poeple keep on thier
>>>decks but i dont have a good spot that the rabbit cant get to..dang thing
>>>is HUGE now..lol...hate that rabbit..it bites the heads of my flowers and
>>>doesnt even eat them..then nibbles the leaves a bit making those ugly
>>>too.
>>>
>>> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When i lived in a really bad part of town as a young kid we had two
wolf/sheperd mixed dog..big..beautiflul and loyal dogs..but very
intimidating to the bad guys..they simply put poisoned meat into the yard at
night and you can guess the rest :-(

KROM

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> Would they steal a dog big enough to chase a rabbit that size?
>
> "krom" > wrote in message
>>I live in mpls..im afraid they be stolen if i had em up where losers could
>>see em...cant even have lawn furniture or orniments like a nice fountain
>>would be gone in a hour after setting it up..lol
>>
>> KROM
>>
>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> How about hanging your strawberry planter....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> I live in mpls..im afraid they be stolen if i had em up where losers
> could see em...cant even have lawn furniture or orniments like a nice
> fountain would be gone in a hour after setting it up..lol

Bugger. Do your missing garden gnomes send postcards?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Heh..i dont think id want to know where they went to after being stolen
here..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> I live in mpls..im afraid they be stolen if i had em up where losers
>> could see em...cant even have lawn furniture or orniments like a nice
>> fountain would be gone in a hour after setting it up..lol

> Bugger. Do your missing garden gnomes send postcards?

More OT Numbers Dimitri General Cooking 9 21-05-2009 05:25 AM
Odd economic numbers modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 9 05-03-2009 04:50 PM
Numbers? See Hear Diabetic 8 01-05-2006 06:15 PM
hachette numbers elena Wine 7 28-11-2005 05:08 PM
Well, here are some of my numbers glad heart Winemaking 4 31-05-2004 06:53 PM