Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Fettucini Alfredo dinner

FBG 107. Had a big cup of lotus germ tea. Before dinner BG 93. Had a cup of
Fettucini Alfredo, One hr PP 138. Two hr 128.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Why would you eat that?
If i spiked that high id feel crappy and then would come the rollor coaster
of up and down numbers rest of the day.

If your wife made it then get her to use dreamfields or some other low
spiking pasta.

If you were eating out pick better..lol

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 107. Had a big cup of lotus germ tea. Before dinner BG 93. Had a cup
> of
> Fettucini Alfredo, One hr PP 138. Two hr 128.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Why would you eat that?
> If i spiked that high id feel crappy and then would come the rollor
> coaster of up and down numbers rest of the day.
>
> If your wife made it then get her to use dreamfields or some other low
> spiking pasta.
>
> If you were eating out pick better..lol

This was my own recipe, using Italian duram semolina pasta. Jun made it at
my request, exactly according to my printed instructions. It was wonderful!
I forgot to have the Pinot Grigio with it. Tomorrow.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> Why would you eat that?
> If i spiked that high id feel crappy and then would come the rollor coaster
> of up and down numbers rest of the day.
>
> If your wife made it then get her to use dreamfields or some other low
> spiking pasta.
>
> If you were eating out pick better..lol
>
> KROM
>
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> FBG 107. Had a big cup of lotus germ tea. Before dinner BG 93. Had a cup
>> of
>> Fettucini Alfredo, One hr PP 138. Two hr 128.
>>
>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
>> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
>> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

KROM
those readings for 1 and 2 hour are very good

what are your goals for 1 hour and 2 hours pp?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

im super tight controlled..lol

I rarely ever go above 100 ever even after a meal.

I said that is high for him because he is often describing his numbers in
the high 80's and low 90's so jumping at a meal to 136 is a big jump.

If you notice it was also trending up as time went on so who knows what
happened the rest of the day.

I personally would feel terrible at 136..especially two hours after a meal.

Today i ate ribs with bbq sauce and chocolate pie for dessert and my high
was 87...tho there was little carbs in the ribs or the pie i make both
myself...heh..yummy tho.

My highest number of the day was a liver dump from yardwork...bummed me
out...was 110...from sittign at a solid 80-87 for two days.

KROM

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> Why would you eat that?
>> If i spiked that high id feel crappy and then would come the rollor
>> coaster of up and down numbers rest of the day.
>>
>> If your wife made it then get her to use dreamfields or some other low
>> spiking pasta.
>>
>> If you were eating out pick better..lol
>>
>> KROM
>>
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> FBG 107. Had a big cup of lotus germ tea. Before dinner BG 93. Had a cup
>>> of
>>> Fettucini Alfredo, One hr PP 138. Two hr 128.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>>> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
>>> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
>>> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

> KROM
> those readings for 1 and 2 hour are very good
>
> what are your goals for 1 hour and 2 hours pp?
>
> --
> kate
> type 1 since 1987
> www.diabetic-talk.org
> http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> im super tight controlled..lol
>
> I rarely ever go above 100 ever even after a meal.
>
> I said that is high for him because he is often describing his numbers in
> the high 80's and low 90's so jumping at a meal to 136 is a big jump.
>
> If you notice it was also trending up as time went on so who knows what
> happened the rest of the day.

Hi Kr OM,

Your numbers are great. I congratulate you on your excellent control.

Actually, my numbers were not trending up, but down. 7:45 PM before dinner
BG 93. One hour PP BG 138. Two hour PP BG 128. I was pleasantly surprised
that there was no 'pizza effect'. ;-)

Over the past six weeks, I've had seven readings over 137, ranging up to
240, mean avg. 175. During the same period, I've had seven readings below
77, ranging down to 60. Mean avg. 70. Overall statistical avg. 99.7. BG's
between 70 and 120 83%. Fasting less than 100 86%. Total number of readings
151 over 52 days.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> im super tight controlled..lol
>
> I rarely ever go above 100 ever even after a meal.
>
> I said that is high for him because he is often describing his numbers in
> the high 80's and low 90's so jumping at a meal to 136 is a big jump.
>
> If you notice it was also trending up as time went on so who knows what
> happened the rest of the day.
>
> I personally would feel terrible at 136..especially two hours after a meal.
>
> Today i ate ribs with bbq sauce and chocolate pie for dessert and my high
> was 87...tho there was little carbs in the ribs or the pie i make both
> myself...heh..yummy tho.
>
> My highest number of the day was a liver dump from yardwork...bummed me
> out...was 110...from sittign at a solid 80-87 for two days.
>
> KROM

wow!!!!!!!!!

i only wish!
good thing you don't have type 1, or you'd drive yourself crazy trying
to attain those levels without major hypos along the way

congratulations

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 Jun 2008 23:44:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Over the past six weeks, I've had seven readings over 137, ranging up to
>240, mean avg. 175. During the same period, I've had seven readings below
>77, ranging down to 60.

14 times you've had problem readings over 6 weeks, that you spotted.
How are you adjusting your d&e routines?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2008 23:44:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >Over the past six weeks, I've had seven readings over 137, ranging up to
> >240, mean avg. 175. During the same period, I've had seven readings
> >below 77, ranging down to 60.

> 14 times you've had problem readings over 6 weeks, that you spotted.
> How are you adjusting your d&e routines?

I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six weeks. I've
been diligent about taking and recording them. I was really pleased with
last night's readings after the Fettucini, so I had the same thing tonight.
Before dinner BG 97. One hour PP 144. Two hour 157. Three hour 178! Four
hour 102. Lack of predictability drives me nuts (a very short putt)!

I've been trying to adjust my diet to low carbs several times a day, but I
only eat breakfast a few times a week. I love bacon and eggs with either
some home fried potatoes or CarbQuik pancakes. I sleep past noon, by which
time Jun is gone, and I'm too lazy to do it!

Exercise remains the same . . . nil.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well my goal is to have as close to non dioabetic numbers as possible with
as little meds as possible...its not hard now i know what to avoid and whats
safe.

I guess i saw just the numbers ya posted here that were like fasting 88 and
a hour after a meal 97 etc..the good meals ya were proud of.

I would just recomd sticking to those sorta meals and avoiding the few
naughty ones ya mentioned as you have a clear view of the differences in
numbers.

And thos meals that didnt spike you sound soooo good..lol

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote
> Over the past six weeks, I've had seven readings over 137, ranging up to
> 240, mean avg. 175. During the same period, I've had seven readings below
> 77, ranging down to 60. Mean avg. 70. Overall statistical avg. 99.7. BG's
> between 70 and 120 83%. Fasting less than 100 86%. Total number of
> readings
> 151 over 52 days.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes im fortunate i can control through metformin and diet and exercise...as
a type two i can hypo to where i black out or get very sick but i am pretty
sure i wouldnt ever go into a coma etc like type ones can so i in no way
insist type ones do what i do..i dont envy them the shots and the math of
figuring carbs basal and bolus numbers etc..bleh..lol

One thing a type one can do that i cant is if they arent IR they can eat
foods i cant so theres a tiny bright spot for em :-)

I just think its great nick can do it no meds if he would just eat right and
exercise..im dependant on met still and may always be..

I am in no way bashing the guy just pokin him freindly like when he eats a
naughty meal..lol.

KROM

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote >
> i only wish!
> good thing you don't have type 1, or you'd drive yourself crazy trying to
> attain those levels without major hypos along the way
>

> congratulations
>
> --
> kate
> type 1 since 1987
> www.diabetic-talk.org
> http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
>> On 16 Jun 2008 23:44:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >

>>> Over the past six weeks, I've had seven readings over 137, ranging
>>> up to 240, mean avg. 175. During the same period, I've had seven
>>> readings below 77, ranging down to 60.

>> 14 times you've had problem readings over 6 weeks, that you spotted.
>> How are you adjusting your d&e routines?

> I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six weeks.
> I've been diligent about taking and recording them. I was really
> pleased with last night's readings after the Fettuccini, so I had the
> same thing tonight.

I am unsure why you are happy with such a huge rise after the fettuccini?
Every large rise puts another nail in the pancreas's coffin. I really don't
understand your thinking Nick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I just think its great nick can do it no meds if he would just eat right
> and exercise..im dependant on met still and may always be..
>
> I am in no way bashing the guy just pokin him freindly like when he eats
> a naughty meal..lol.

No problemo, Krom. The same Fettucini did me a lot worse last night. ;-(

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Nicky > wrote:
> >> On 16 Jun 2008 23:44:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> I am unsure why you are happy with such a huge rise after the fettuccini?
> Every large rise puts another nail in the pancreas's coffin. I really
> don't understand your thinking Nick.

I didn't think 138 was so bad. Last night's 178 was!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> I am unsure why you are happy with such a huge rise after the
>> fettuccini? Every large rise puts another nail in the pancreas's
>> coffin. I really don't understand your thinking Nick.

> I didn't think 138 was so bad. Last night's 178 was!

A large rise can be as dangerous as a high bg. People often think that as
long as bg is relatively close to normal then it is ok but a large rise can
be as damaging as a higher bg. The pancreas is stressed with repeated
requests for insulin. The pancreas tries to compensate by increasing the
amount of insulin produced. The hyperinsulemia is a health risk on its own.
Eventually you start to lose beta cell mass and the pancreas works even
harder. If you don't give the pancreas a chance to rest you will eventually
be well onto the path to diabetic progression. It is avoidable even if a
significant amount of beta cell death has already taken place.

Keeping numbers fairly static at all times will go a long way towards
stopping this progression. 138 is not a number you should like to see if you
have the means to avoid it. And as krom has pointed out, you do know what
types of foods keep you at safer numbers pp. How far you want to go with
control is your business of course, just pointing out things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> I just think its great nick can do it no meds if he would just eat
>> right and exercise..im dependant on met still and may always be..
>>
>> I am in no way bashing the guy just pokin him friendly like when he
>> eats a naughty meal..lol.

> No problemo, Krom. The same Fettucini did me a lot worse last night.
> ;-(

I believe even Dreamfields does too for those who can tolerate it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17 Jun 2008 08:50:16 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six weeks. I've
>been diligent about taking and recording them. I was really pleased with
>last night's readings after the Fettucini, so I had the same thing tonight.
>Before dinner BG 97. One hour PP 144. Two hour 157. Three hour 178! Four
>hour 102. Lack of predictability drives me nuts (a very short putt)!

Problem with pasta, rice, etc is that a tiny adjustment either way in
weight, cooking time, amount of fat in the sauce - can swing a meal
that's fine with the low end of those parameters, into problem
territory. I feel much safer not playing those games.

>I've been trying to adjust my diet to low carbs several times a day, but I
>only eat breakfast a few times a week. I love bacon and eggs with either
>some home fried potatoes or CarbQuik pancakes. I sleep past noon, by which
>time Jun is gone, and I'm too lazy to do it!

Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On 17 Jun 2008 08:50:16 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six weeks. I've
>>been diligent about taking and recording them. I was really pleased with
>>last night's readings after the Fettucini, so I had the same thing
>>tonight.
>>Before dinner BG 97. One hour PP 144. Two hour 157. Three hour 178! Four
>>hour 102. Lack of predictability drives me nuts (a very short putt)!

> Problem with pasta, rice, etc is that a tiny adjustment either way in
> weight, cooking time, amount of fat in the sauce - can swing a meal
> that's fine with the low end of those parameters, into problem
> territory. I feel much safer not playing those games.
>
>>I've been trying to adjust my diet to low carbs several times a day, but I
>>only eat breakfast a few times a week. I love bacon and eggs with either
>>some home fried potatoes or CarbQuik pancakes. I sleep past noon, by which
>>time Jun is gone, and I'm too lazy to do it!

> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

Pancakes are one thing I just HATE to make. I used to be able to buy frozen
ones. Now I can't find any that are gluten and egg free, already made. I
made some for Angela the other day and once again remembered why I make them
only once or twice a year. They stick to the pan and it takes me a long
time to scrub them all off.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On 17 Jun 2008 08:50:16 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six
>>> weeks. I've been diligent about taking and recording them. I was
>>> really pleased with last night's readings after the Fettucini, so I
>>> had the same thing tonight.
>>> Before dinner BG 97. One hour PP 144. Two hour 157. Three hour 178!
>>> Four hour 102. Lack of predictability drives me nuts (a very short
>>> putt)!

>> Problem with pasta, rice, etc is that a tiny adjustment either way in
>> weight, cooking time, amount of fat in the sauce - can swing a meal
>> that's fine with the low end of those parameters, into problem
>> territory. I feel much safer not playing those games.
>>
>>> I've been trying to adjust my diet to low carbs several times a
>>> day, but I only eat breakfast a few times a week. I love bacon and
>>> eggs with either some home fried potatoes or CarbQuik pancakes. I
>>> sleep past noon, by which time Jun is gone, and I'm too lazy to do
>>> it!

>> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

> Pancakes are one thing I just HATE to make. I used to be able to buy
> frozen ones. Now I can't find any that are gluten and egg free,
> already made. I made some for Angela the other day and once again
> remembered why I make them only once or twice a year. They stick to
> the pan and it takes me a long time to scrub them all off.

I buy the ones in a jug where you add water or milk or whatever and shake
I find I have to melt better for every single batch or they stick or burn. I
toss in a bit and spread it with paper towerl scrunched up and pour in some
batter, then repeat over and over again until the kids are full or I run out
of batter

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> Problem with pasta, rice, etc is that a tiny adjustment either way in
>>> weight, cooking time, amount of fat in the sauce - can swing a meal
>>> that's fine with the low end of those parameters, into problem
>>> territory. I feel much safer not playing those games.

>>> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

>> Pancakes are one thing I just HATE to make. I used to be able to buy
>> frozen ones. Now I can't find any that are gluten and egg free,
>> already made. I made some for Angela the other day and once again
>> remembered why I make them only once or twice a year. They stick to
>> the pan and it takes me a long time to scrub them all off.

> I buy the ones in a jug where you add water or milk or whatever and shake
> I find I have to melt better for every single batch or they stick or
> burn. I toss in a bit and spread it with paper towerl scrunched up and
> pour in some batter, then repeat over and over again until the kids are
> full or I run out of batter

I can't get that kind in gluten and egg free and we can't have butter. I
tried coconut oil for the last batch and it obviously didn't work.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes i got days i can eat anything and be fine and the next get slammed by
the very same food..thats why i rarely if ever push it..lol..i may do
deamfields as a treat one day..a serving size but i now dont do leftovers
etc to be sure.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> I just think its great nick can do it no meds if he would just eat right
>> and exercise..im dependant on met still and may always be..
>>
>> I am in no way bashing the guy just pokin him freindly like when he eats
>> a naughty meal..lol.

> No problemo, Krom. The same Fettucini did me a lot worse last night. ;-(
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Number one rule in frying anything is "hot pan..cold oil..food wont stick"

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On 17 Jun 2008 08:50:16 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I know, Nicky. As you saw, I took 151 readings during that six weeks.
>>>I've
>>>been diligent about taking and recording them. I was really pleased with
>>>last night's readings after the Fettucini, so I had the same thing
>>>tonight.
>>>Before dinner BG 97. One hour PP 144. Two hour 157. Three hour 178! Four
>>>hour 102. Lack of predictability drives me nuts (a very short putt)!

>> Problem with pasta, rice, etc is that a tiny adjustment either way in
>> weight, cooking time, amount of fat in the sauce - can swing a meal
>> that's fine with the low end of those parameters, into problem
>> territory. I feel much safer not playing those games.
>>
>>>I've been trying to adjust my diet to low carbs several times a day, but
>>>only eat breakfast a few times a week. I love bacon and eggs with either
>>>some home fried potatoes or CarbQuik pancakes. I sleep past noon, by
>>>which
>>>time Jun is gone, and I'm too lazy to do it!

>> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

> Pancakes are one thing I just HATE to make. I used to be able to buy
> frozen ones. Now I can't find any that are gluten and egg free, already
> made. I made some for Angela the other day and once again remembered why
> I make them only once or twice a year. They stick to the pan and it takes
> me a long time to scrub them all off.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Number one rule in frying anything is "hot pan..cold oil..food wont
> stick"

Never heard that one. But you do have to heat the oil first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > [ . . . ]

> Keeping numbers fairly static at all times will go a long way towards
> stopping this progression. 138 is not a number you should like to see if
> you have the means to avoid it. And as krom has pointed out, you do know
> what types of foods keep you at safer numbers pp. How far you want to go
> with control is your business of course, just pointing out things.

Thanks, Ozgirl. I appreciate the information and try to act on it. 80 to
120 would be nice. Today has been good, so far. FBG was 96. Three hours
later, 104. Had an appetizer of horseradish, Limburger, onion and
Liverwurst on half a slice of dark rye bread. That was sooo good! One hour
PP BG 111. That was six hours ago. Jun is still out working. I'll have
dinner when she gets home. Most days, she's left for work by the time I get
up, so . . . no breakfast.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:31:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

>Pancakes are one thing I just HATE to make. I used to be able to buy frozen
>ones. Now I can't find any that are gluten and egg free, already made. I
>made some for Angela the other day and once again remembered why I make them
>only once or twice a year. They stick to the pan and it takes me a long
>time to scrub them all off.

Well, I don't do egg-free so that might make a difference - but I have
no problems with a non-stick pan and either butter or coconut oil.

Nicky (feeling luxurious - I had a waffle for breakfast, with a few
strawbs, creme frais, and pancake syrup.)
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008 08:50:16 GMT, Nick Cramer >

[ . . . ]

> Oh, Nick How difficult is it to make the pancakes?!

Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my back
starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several times, but
really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)

Carbquik Recipe (modified by Nick): Pancakes

Servings: 2 servings of 2 pancakes, Net Carbs Per Serving: 3g
Total Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Carbquik
1 Tsp Splenda bulk or 1 packet (optional)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, very well beaten or whipped
1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
UP TO 2 Oz half-and-half (see Instructions!)
Butter wipe or vegetable oil spray

Instructions:

-Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add egg and fold in, then butter and
fold in. Slowly add 1/2 & 1/2 as needed to make a smooth, easily pourable
pancake batter (you may need a little more).

-Mix just enough to combine all ingredients. Do not overmix.

-Ladle portions onto wiped or sprayed griddle or frying pan heated to
medium to medium high heat.

-Flip when bubbles begin to break and edges are cooked. After removing from
heat, brush with butter (optional but highly recommended).

-As a syrup, use Nick's Splenda'd butter.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Number one rule in frying anything is "hot pan..cold oil..food wont
> stick"

And that's the truth!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote in message

> > Number one rule in frying anything is "hot pan..cold oil..food wont
> > stick"

> Never heard that one. But you do have to heat the oil first.

That's the way I do it, too. A hot pan will heat the oil very quickly.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nope...get the pan to temp put the oil in then the food right after..wont
stick

Orrrrrrrrrrr....you get pan and oil to shimmering and wisps of smoke and put
the food in and let it stck..and when its done it releases on its own..good
tipp for steak and fish..will stick at forst but once its ready to flip
releases itself.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> Number one rule in frying anything is "hot pan..cold oil..food wont
>> stick"

> Never heard that one. But you do have to heat the oil first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:07:36 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>Nope...get the pan to temp put the oil in then the food right after..wont
>stick
>
>Orrrrrrrrrrr....you get pan and oil to shimmering and wisps of smoke and put
>the food in and let it stck..and when its done it releases on its own..good
>tipp for steak and fish..will stick at forst but once its ready to flip
>releases itself.
>
>KROM

I used to do the "wisps of smoke" thing, or get the wok
smoking hot, until I read some posts and articles on
vegetable oil and hydrogenation.

So I don't any more.

Maybe Quentin or one of our chemists can correct me if I've
over-reacted.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18 Jun 2008 07:32:24 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my back
>starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several times, but
>really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)

I bet you could make up a bigger quantity and keep it in the fridge.

I like bacon cooked crispy in the microwave - 4mins for 2 slices. Put
one pan on with some eggs, and another for the pancakes, and breakfast
takes 6 mins total?

I remember doing things in increments that wouldn't hurt my back. Real
PITA! Would doing some core exercises help?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:

: Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my back
: starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several times, but
: really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)

Do you have one of those folding 3 step ladders in the kitchen? sit
onthe top double step when cooking eggs or other things ht require me to
stay in the kitchen, like cutting up vegetables, etc.

No excuses:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On 18 Jun 2008 07:32:24 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my back
>>starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several times, but
>>really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)

> I bet you could make up a bigger quantity and keep it in the fridge.
>
> I like bacon cooked crispy in the microwave - 4mins for 2 slices. Put
> one pan on with some eggs, and another for the pancakes, and breakfast
> takes 6 mins total?
>
> I remember doing things in increments that wouldn't hurt my back. Real
> PITA! Would doing some core exercises help?

I was just reading a crockpotting blog and the woman who runs it said she
successfully made a pancake in the crockpot. She put the batter in a well
greased crockpot and cooked it overnight. In the morning, she took it out,
cut it in wedges and served it. I can only imagine that her family of four
doesn't have a very large appetite.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2008 07:32:24 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my
> >back starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several times,
> >but really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)

> I bet you could make up a bigger quantity and keep it in the fridge.
>
> I like bacon cooked crispy in the microwave - 4mins for 2 slices. Put
> one pan on with some eggs, and another for the pancakes, and breakfast
> takes 6 mins total?
>
> I remember doing things in increments that wouldn't hurt my back. Real
> PITA! Would doing some core exercises help?

You're a sweetheart, Nicky. Thanks. I've nuked bacon. It turns out good. I
like pan frying it so I can fry the eggs in the bacon fat. Yum.

The texture of day old pancakes just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather make
a small batch of home fries or have a slice of pumpernickel or dark rye
toast (with lots of butter).

Exercise? I vaguely remember doing that. I should probably start (easy)
again.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> : Not that difficult, I know. The bacon and eggs add to the time and my
> : back starts to hurt before I'm half done. I've made these several
> : times, but really like bacon on the side and eggs on top. ;-)
>
> Do you have one of those folding 3 step ladders in the kitchen? sit
> onthe top double step when cooking eggs or other things ht require me to
> stay in the kitchen, like cutting up vegetables, etc.

Hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Wendy.

> No excuses:-)

Oy, gevald! Now you sound like my old Drill Instructor. ;-D

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > On 18 Jun 2008 07:32:24 GMT, Nick Cramer >

[ . . . ]
> I was just reading a crockpotting blog and the woman who runs it said she
> successfully made a pancake in the crockpot. She put the batter in a
> well greased crockpot and cooked it overnight. In the morning, she took
> it out, cut it in wedges and served it. I can only imagine that her
> family of four doesn't have a very large appetite.

I get a funny visual from that, Julie. Picturing a 16" diameter crockpot
and a 1" high pancake. LMAO

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think its the type of oil used.

Certain fats can create potentially bad chemistry when over the smoke
point..and also non stick pans...

But oilds like grapeseed have a very high smoke point and if your in
stainless stell its not a worry.

So if your worried about it use the hot pan and cold oil method..or if using
non stick dont worry about the item sticking..lol.

KROM

"Alan S" > wrote
> I used to do the "wisps of smoke" thing, or get the wok
> smoking hot, until I read some posts and articles on
> vegetable oil and hydrogenation.
>
> So I don't any more.
>
> Maybe Quentin or one of our chemists can correct me if I've
> over-reacted.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19 Jun 2008 04:39:20 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>The texture of day old pancakes just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather make
>a small batch of home fries or have a slice of pumpernickel or dark rye
>toast (with lots of butter).

Nah, keep the batter in the fridge, cook the pancakes fresh... I'm
into waffles atm. I made up a 4-egg batch yesterday, cooked a couple
of waffles, ate one, froze one. Did the same today - made 3, froze
two. Tomorrow I'll make up the rest of the batch -probably, I get
hungry fast cooking them : ) - then give waffles a rest for a few
days. Next time I fancy one, they pop from the freezer straight into
the toaster. Yumyumyum...

>Exercise? I vaguely remember doing that. I should probably start (easy)
>again.

With your core muscles - stretches rather than exercise. Gentle yoga,
not a kata :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2008 04:39:20 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >The texture of day old pancakes just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather
> >make a small batch of home fries or have a slice of pumpernickel or dark
> >rye toast (with lots of butter).

> Nah, keep the batter in the fridge, cook the pancakes fresh... I'm
> into waffles atm. I made up a 4-egg batch yesterday, cooked a couple
> of waffles, ate one, froze one. Did the same today - made 3, froze
> two. Tomorrow I'll make up the rest of the batch -probably, I get
> hungry fast cooking them : ) - then give waffles a rest for a few
> days. Next time I fancy one, they pop from the freezer straight into
> the toaster. Yumyumyum...

Oh! I'm denser than lead! ;-(

> >Exercise? I vaguely remember doing that. I should probably start (easy)
> >again.

> With your core muscles - stretches rather than exercise. Gentle yoga,
> not a kata :P

Weren't you going for your Green Belt? Do deshita?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 02:28:52 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>I think its the type of oil used.
>
>Certain fats can create potentially bad chemistry when over the smoke
>point..and also non stick pans...
>
>But oilds like grapeseed have a very high smoke point and if your in
>stainless stell its not a worry.

Um, if it smokes, it's beyond it's smoke point regardless of
how high that is:-)

>So if your worried about it use the hot pan and cold oil method..or if using
>non stick dont worry about the item sticking..lol.

I use a steel wok and cast-iron skillets.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.