Old 16-05-2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cheese enchiladas - Oy vey!

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
market,
with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk
about
pizza effect!

I can eat two enchiladas at one time, provided the sauce isn't overly carby.
Sometimes it is. Three would be pushing it.

Old 16-05-2008, 04:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"krom" wrote:
Oh i missread!
I didnt see he ate the chips too.. and the beans AND the rice...i just
read the three encheladas....

That was a huge amount of carbs then so he was lucky he that low

I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
edible bowl..lol.

A Chipotle is just a smoke-dried Jalapeño chile. They're easy to make at
home, if you have a BBQ (smoker). The flavor will depend on the kind of
wood you use for smoking, but the heat will remain the same. I have some
friends (maybe that should read "fiends") who also make Serrano and
Habanero 'Chipotles.

There is a chain of restaurants here called Chipotles. Sort of fast food
and very limited menu. I've not been tempted to try them.

Old 16-05-2008, 08:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta market,
with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about
pizza effect!

Enchiladas can be Diabetic friendly. You have to find the high fiber-low
carb tortillas and you have to use portion control.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 16-05-2008, 08:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and 1/4
cup of rice.

4 tortillas is a whole day's worth of carbs for a lot of Diabetics. 1/2
cup of beans isn't too bad as the beans have fiber to offset some of the
carbs. The rice is something that should be avoided unless you are among
the few Diabetics who can tolerate it. Most that I know find that rice
is the worst carb as far as spiking goes. My DH among them. Even brown
rice is bad for him.

When we go out for Mexican, he asks for double beans and no rice. He
rarely eats all the beans, but he can control for them with a bolus.
Since you are not on insulin, you have to learn just how much beans you
can tolerate and stay the heck away from high-carb tortillas and rice.

A safe order in a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. Eat the meat and
veggies and leave the tortillas and rice.

Old 16-05-2008, 08:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG, as
that was before I started keeping notes with

DH sometimes has numbers in the high 60's. He uses the 15-15 method to
bring up his BG. 15 grams of quick acting carbs. Wait 15 minutes and
test again. If not back up to "normal" try another 15 grams of
fast-acting carbs and another 15 minute wait.

Fast acting carbs are glucose tablets, fruit juice, skim milk, regular
soda and other high sucrose things. A bagel is not a fast acting carb
and might just leave you a lot higher than you want to be.

Old 16-05-2008, 11:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), ankalime
wrote:

Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
105. And the kids liked it!

Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Old 17-05-2008, 03:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
: of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
: a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
: 105. And the kids liked it!

: Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
: pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

: Nicky.

I think it makes them think that they are a cave man rubbing sticks
together to warm and feed their women and children. Like going hunting so
they can stay with their buddies and not shave or bathe for several days.
that seems to be the pattern near my summer home. You can smell those
hunters from a mile away as they come to the supermarket to clean out all
the beer.

Wendy

Old 17-05-2008, 03:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

2 Mission 6" corn tortillas are 17 carbs...enchiladas are usually made with
corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are higher. So I think he would probably
have done ok if he left the chips and rice and beans alone.
Jacquie

Old 17-05-2008, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 11:14:35 GMT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG, as
that was before I started keeping notes with

http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/

Take care.

I would only worry if I had hypo symptoms.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old 17-05-2008, 07:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 11:02:29 GMT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

But I had no significant spikes, at least for the first
couple of days before I ran out of strips.

You? Ran out of strips? None available in Mexico? Or did they read out in
Spanish? LMAO

None available for an accu-chek Go.

My next A1c should be fascinating after all those different
cuisines (at least I'll have an excuse if it's back over 6.

But looking at that dinner of yours - you won't, if you keep
doing that:-)

Old 17-05-2008, 07:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
105. And the kids liked it!

Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

It's just so easy; I use the BBQ at least twice weekly in
winter, more often in summer. Meats on the slotted section
so the fat drips away, greens in a saucepan on the hot-plate
in a smidgin of water to simmer, onions, capsicum, half
tomatoes and slices of spuds or sweet potato on the
hot-plate (I usually give them a quick zap in the microwave
to help them along). Vary things occasionally - shish kabob,
satays, chook, different marinades, use imagination.

Apart from ease of use and clean-up, it's brilliant for
rendering the sat fat off chops and similar. I'm aware of
the AGE risks, so I try not to carbonise things too much.

And it gives me an excuse to be outside at this time of
year, watching the sunset and sipping red wine as the chops
sizzle and the ladies are inside...

Old 17-05-2008, 07:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG,
as
that was before I started keeping notes with

http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/

Take care.

I would only worry if I had hypo symptoms.

In my case I can't always FEEL the hypo. If others are around, they might
notice that I am acting strangely. But I might be by myself. So I think
it's best to treat.

Old 17-05-2008, 10:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime wrote:
On May 16, 8:49=A0am, Nick Cramer wrote:
ankalime wrote:
On May 16, 7:37=3DA0am, Nick Cramer wrote:
"krom" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Nick, I think Krom means he has a coupon from Chipotle Mexican
Restaurant, not a coupon for a free chile.

Heh heh! Thanks, Cindy. I thought that was the case, but I also thought
some people might be interested in how to make their own Chipotles.

You know, I did find that interesting... I never thought of making
chipotles on my own. The grocery in the little town I live in doesn't
carry any. Maybe I can talk my husband into getting a smoker next and
we'll give it a go!

Cindy! If you're even _thinking_ about getting a smoker, go to
alt.food.barbecue, tell them what you're thinking of doing, ask what else
you can do and ask what they're thoughts are regarding various smokers and
where to buy. If this will be your fist time with a smoker, tell them that,
too. Also, what area you're in. There are folks there from around the
world, so you'll get some local info, too. Mostly a nice bunch of folks
with a few loons. Just like around here! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Old 17-05-2008, 10:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message

[]
I can eat two enchiladas at one time, provided the sauce isn't overly
carby. Sometimes it is. Three would be pushing it.

Three sure pushed it for me, Julie! I don't know about the carbs in the
sauce. It was a real spicy salsa verde. Plus I ate all the frijoles
refritos. Would be nice if I could find a carbometer! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~