Posted to alt.support.diabetes, alt.food.diabetic

Default Glucose after vigorous exercsie

What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
without their test kit)
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"TrekMan" > wrote in message
> What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> without their test kit)

Probably the same, being a type 2 and not on any meds.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
ray ray is offline

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:22:12 -0800, TrekMan wrote:

> What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> without their test kit)

I usually take some South Beach granola bars along on treks like that.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"TrekMan" > wrote in message
> What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> without their test kit)

I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these days.
I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure I
have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which can be
embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in about
10 mins.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
rk rk is offline

"Helen Back" > wrote in message

| "TrekMan" > wrote in message

| > What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
| > feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
| > for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
| > guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
| > some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
| > Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
| > What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
| > without their test kit)
|
| I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
days.
| I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
| have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
| remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
can be
| embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
| Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
about
| 10 mins.

Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
which is
why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
then
test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work. Given you said
you're using
dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
the glucose
starting to work before 15mins. Perhaps mind over matter in your case. On
a side
note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
unless it is
absolutely the only form of glucose available.

rk, t1

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"TrekMan" > wrote in message
> What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> without their test kit)

One of the reasons I enjoy my multi hour adventures
in the back country is I get to take all the stuff I usually
don't eat ... apples, bananas, granola bars. I have some
dark chocolate squares I keep taking but don't usually
dip into those.

cheers

Paul

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

In alt.support.diabetes rk > wrote:

> "Helen Back" > wrote in message
> |
> | "TrekMan" > wrote in message

> | > What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> | > feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> | > for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> | > guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> | > some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> | > Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> | > What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> | > without their test kit)
> |
> | I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
> days.
> | I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
> | have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
> | remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
> can be
> | embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
> | Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
> about
> | 10 mins.
> |

> Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
> which is
> why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
> then
> test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work.

Depends what you mean by "work". The change in blood sugar isn't a
step function. My BG starts to rise usefully in less than seven
minutes after eating a slice of bread, for example.

> Given you said
> you're using
> dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
> the glucose
> starting to work before 15mins.

The fat slows down the *rate* of absorption, and therefore postpones
the time of the BG *peak*, but it doesn't delay the time at which the
BG *starts* to rise. It's more accurate to think in terms of dynamic
analogue processes rather than digital state changes when considering
BG management.

> Perhaps mind over matter in your case. On
> a side
> note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
> unless it is
> absolutely the only form of glucose available.

Chocolate is not a good thing to treat a true emergency hypo of the
kind that insulin users get, but its slower rate of delivery can be a
useful feature for a non-insulin-using T2 who hasn't so much an
emergency T1 type of hypo as simply run out of energy, wants a BG
boost to get them on their feet and moving along again, but prefers a
slower longer lasting boost, such as chocolate provides. That's why
chocolate is often used by T2 hillwalkers in preference to more purely
sugary things, such as Kendal Mint Cake, as you can find out in the
hillwalking newsgroups.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Màck©®" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:46:01 -0500, "rk" > wrote:

>>| I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
>>days.
>>| I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
>>| have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
>>| remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
>>can be
>>| embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
>>| Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
>>about
>>| 10 mins.
>>|

>>Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
>>which is
>>why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
>>then
>>test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work. Given you said
>>you're using
>>dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
>>the glucose
>>starting to work before 15mins. Perhaps mind over matter in your case. On
>>a side
>>note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
>>unless it is
>>absolutely the only form of glucose available.
>>
>>rk, t1
>>

> again, another case of a type 1 speaking out of turn on a type 2 issue
> they do not fully understand.
>
> anyone using the term "true hypo" when not actually knowing what the
> other person's actual BG reading was is just bitching for effect.
>
> type 2s with Helen's experience know full well how to treat their own
> hypos/reactive hypoglycemia. And what she described is a very common
> response described by many type 2s treating hypos in the same manner.

I have pulled myself out of reactive hypoglycemia with just food, any food,
even a bunch of eggs. On the other hand I know Beav who is a type 1 has used
Mars Bars to treat hypos. Also if I drink orange juice or the like for a
hypo I can see an appreciable rise within 5 minutes. And it is not a liver
dump because I can see the same rise when bg's are normal.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote in message
> In alt.support.diabetes rk > wrote:

>> you
>> grabbed
>> pack.
>> |
>> | I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
>> days.
>> | I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
>> | have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
>> | remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
>> can be
>> | embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
>> | Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
>> about
>> | 10 mins.
>> |

>> Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
>> which is
>> why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar)
>> and
>> then
>> test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work.

> Depends what you mean by "work". The change in blood sugar isn't a
> step function. My BG starts to rise usefully in less than seven
> minutes after eating a slice of bread, for example.

Which is why we have a phase i insulin repsonse (normal humans that is )
Phase i kicks in within a few minutes of the start of a meal, less than ten,

On Jan 2, 8:46�am, "rk" > wrote:
> "Helen Back" > wrote in message

> || "TrekMan" > wrote in message

> | > What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> | > feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> | > for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> | > guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> | > some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> | > Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> | > What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> | > without their test kit)
> |
> | I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
> days.
> | I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
> | have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
> | remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
> can be
> | embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
> | Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
> about
> | 10 mins.
> |

> Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
> which is
> why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
> then
> test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work. Given you said
> you're using
> dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
> the glucose
> starting to work before 15mins. Perhaps mind over matter in your case. �On
> a side
> note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
> unless it is
> absolutely the only form of glucose available.

Chocolate is not a good way to treat a hypo for Type 1's or Type 2's.
You said it best, Reisa. Here is what the ADA says about treating a
hypo for Type 2's:

http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabe...poglycemia.jsp

(excerpt)

How do you treat hypoglycemia?

The quickest way to raise your blood glucose and treat hypoglycemia is
with some form of sugar, such as 3 glucose tablets (you can buy these
at the drug store), 1/2 cup of fruit juice, or 5-6 pieces of hard
candy.

Ask your health care professional or dietitian to list foods that you
can use to treat low blood glucose. And then, be sure you always have
at least one type of sugar with you.

Once you've checked your blood glucose and treated your hypoglycemia,
wait 15 or 20 minutes and check your blood again. If your blood
glucose is still low and your symptoms of hypoglycemia don't go away,
repeat the treatment. After you feel better, be sure to eat your
regular meals and snacks as planned to keep your blood glucose level
up.

It's important to treat hypoglycemia quickly because hypoglycemia can
get worse and you could pass out. If you pass out, you will need
IMMEDIATE treatment, such as an injection of glucagon or emergency
treatment in a hospital.

Glucagon raises blood glucose. It is injected like insulin. Ask your
doctor to prescribe it for you and tell you how to use it. You need
to tell people around you (such as family members and co-workers) how
and when to inject glucagon should you ever need it.

If glucagon is not available, you should be taken to the nearest
emergency room for treatment for low blood glucose. If you need
immediate medical assistance or an ambulance, someone should call the
emergency number in your area (such as 911) for help. It's a good
idea to post emergency numbers by the telephone.

If you pass out from hypoglycemia, people should:

NOT inject insulin.
NOT give you food or fluids.
NOT put their hands in your mouth.
Inject glucagon.
Call for emergency help.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"rk" > wrote in message
news:L6GdnaCOx7OYXebanZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

> "Helen Back" > wrote in message
> |
> | "TrekMan" > wrote in message

> | > What do you typically do after a session of vigorous exercise when you
> | > feel hypo? I unfortunately did not have my tester with me, but felt
> | > for sure that after 3 hours X-C skiing today that I needed a boost. I
> | > guess I would describe how I felt as "whipped and spent". So I grabbed
> | > some M&M peanuts from a vending machine and ate about 1/3 of the pack.
> | > Soon felt better and had some healthy soup and whole grain bread.
> | > What have others done in this situation? (other than scold the one
> | > without their test kit)
> |
> | I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
> days.
> | I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
> | have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
> | remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
> can be
> | embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
> | Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
> about
> | 10 mins.
> |

> Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
> which is
> why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
> then
> test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work. Given you said
> you're using
> dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
> the glucose
> starting to work before 15mins. Perhaps mind over matter in your case. On
> a side
> note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
> unless it is
> absolutely the only form of glucose available.
>
> rk, t1

I'll use my mobile phone next time with the stop watch function. I wouldnt
wish to split hairs over a few mins here or there!

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Màck©®" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:46:01 -0500, "rk" > wrote:

>>| I always take me some 70% + dark chocolate in my pocket with me these
>>days.
>>| I rarely get hypo's since my dx and change in diet - I always make sure
>>| have eaten enough of the right food before I go anywhere these days (I
>>| remember my hypo's made me feel so sick, I did actually vomit - which
>>can be
>>| embarrasssing in the middle of a crowd of strangers!).
>>| Two squares of the chocolate and a little sit down and I feel fine in
>>about
>>| 10 mins.
>>|

>>Interesting considering glucose in general takes about 15mins to work,
>>which is
>>why when one is having a hypo you're told to eat a simple carb (sugar) and
>>then
>>test again in 15mins to make sure it's starting to work. Given you said
>>you're using
>>dark chocolate, that alone has quite a bit of fat in it which will delay
>>the glucose
>>starting to work before 15mins. Perhaps mind over matter in your case. On
>>a side
>>note, chocolate of any kind is never recommended to treat a true hypo
>>unless it is
>>absolutely the only form of glucose available.
>>
>>rk, t1
>>

> again, another case of a type 1 speaking out of turn on a type 2 issue
> they do not fully understand.
>
> anyone using the term "true hypo" when not actually knowing what the
> other person's actual BG reading was is just bitching for effect.
>
> type 2s with Helen's experience know full well how to treat their own
> hypos/reactive hypoglycemia. And what she described is a very common
> response described by many type 2s treating hypos in the same manner.

Too right we do!! Thank you )

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote in message
> In alt.support.diabetes rk > wrote:

> Chocolate is not a good thing to treat a true emergency hypo of the
> kind that insulin users get, but its slower rate of delivery can be a
> useful feature for a non-insulin-using T2 who hasn't so much an
> emergency T1 type of hypo as simply run out of energy, wants a BG
> boost to get them on their feet and moving along again, but prefers a
> slower longer lasting boost, such as chocolate provides. That's why
> chocolate is often used by T2 hillwalkers in preference to more purely
> sugary things, such as Kendal Mint Cake, as you can find out in the
> hillwalking newsgroups.

Well, there ya go! A few weeks ago I took a very long walk up a big hill to
a castle ruin. It was one morning when I hadnt eaten some bacon and eggs
(which is normally the best way for me to keep energy up til lunchtime).
Anyway, about an hour into the walk I got very nauseous and got my (hypo)
tingling lips. I sat down, ate a very small bar of my chocolate, stayed
sitting for 5 mins and then continued my walk at a much slower pace.
Symptoms subsided and I was able to continue at a brisker pace.

It's different for all of us, obviously - but I know my body and what I need
to do when it gets into trouble.

Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
rk rk is offline

"Helen Back" > wrote in message

| Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P

I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.

Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.
Because you don't bother with a sigline.

I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT

rk, t1

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

In alt.support.diabetes Kurt > wrote:

> [...]

> It's important to treat hypoglycemia quickly because hypoglycemia can
> get worse and you could pass out. If you pass out, you will need
> IMMEDIATE treatment, such as an injection of glucagon or emergency
> treatment in a hospital.

> Glucagon raises blood glucose. It is injected like insulin. Ask your
> doctor to prescribe it for you and tell you how to use it. You need
> to tell people around you (such as family members and co-workers) how
> and when to inject glucagon should you ever need it.

> If glucagon is not available, you should be taken to the nearest
> emergency room for treatment for low blood glucose. If you need
> immediate medical assistance or an ambulance, someone should call the
> emergency number in your area (such as 911) for help. It's a good
> idea to post emergency numbers by the telephone.

> If you pass out from hypoglycemia, people should:

Thanks, Kurt, for posting such an excellent example of the really
stupid way the ADA lumps together insulin-using T2s and non-insulin
using T2s :-)

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"rk" > wrote in message

> "Helen Back" > wrote in message
> |

> | Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P
>
> I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
> and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.
>
> Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
> know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
> perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.
> Because you don't bother with a sigline.
>
> I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT
>
> rk, t1

Cheer up! It may never happen......

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Màck©®" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:26:17 -0500, "rk" > wrote:
>

>>"Helen Back" > wrote in message
>>|

>>| Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P
>>
>>I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
>>and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.
>>
>>Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
>>know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
>>perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.
>>Because you don't bother with a sigline.
>>
>>I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT
>>
>>rk, t1
>>

> anyone who was reading longer than a day would know that Helen was a
> type 2. they would also know that she didn't say a hypo should be
> treated with bacon and eggs. however. A mild type 2 hypo could
> easily be treated with bacon, eggs, and a little juice and or a
> biscuit. Amazingly enough even a mild type 1 hypo can be treated in
> the same manner.

Thank you, Mack. I didnt explain myself to rk for the simple reason being
that my "bacon and eggs in the pocket" comment was a joke (hence the :P) -
and the fact that rk ended with a dismissive "OUT". Why should I waste my
typing on someone who implied they will not be reading and or responding to
this thread?

If people arent willing to accept that some of us need to joke around
occasionally with little glib statements to stop ourselves from going
insane, then so be it. I am reeling after yet another person close to me
having died from diabetic complications - I give myself humour; its the only
way I can get through the day.

All I know is, since dx and with fantastic help from many of you here, my bg
has rarely gone above 7.0 (127.8), my A1c was 6.6 on my first check up (not
bad considering I am only 4 months in), I've lost over 2 stone in weight
(28lbs), I rarely feel that awful tiredness I used to have, I rarely get
tetchy and moody like I used to and I dont get my hypo's where I used to
retch or vomit and walk sideways walking down the street.

I'm doing something right and if my little humourous titterings bother some
people then thats their problem.

I suggest that people make note of little messages like :P and also give
people reading our posts some credit for knowing the difference between a
one off witty remark and all the other highly informative advice that can
be found here.

Put it this way, if someone wanted to know how I have managed and kept under
control my diabetes in just 4 months, I will gladly tell them so but dont be
surprised to find a bit of humour thrown in for good luck.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:13:34 GMT, "Helen Back"
> wrote:

>All I know is, since dx and with fantastic help from many of you here, my bg
>has rarely gone above 7.0 (127.8), my A1c was 6.6 on my first check up (not
>bad considering I am only 4 months in), I've lost over 2 stone in weight
>(28lbs), I rarely feel that awful tiredness I used to have, I rarely get
>tetchy and moody like I used to and I dont get my hypo's where I used to
>retch or vomit and walk sideways walking down the street.

You're doing great. Don't let anyone bother you.

And if it's any consolation, I spent several minutes working out how,
if you wanted to, you could port eggs and bacon - just as a
hypothetical exercise :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

On Jan 3, 8:26*am, "rk" > wrote:

> Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
> know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
> perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.
> Because you don't bother with a sigline.
>
> I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT
>
> rk, t1

Oh, for Chrissakes...I know you live to pick fights here, but let's at
least try not to be laughable.

John C.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"rk" > wrote in message

> "Helen Back" > wrote in message
> |

> | Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P
>
> I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
> and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.

Speak for yourself. Different people have different reactions to food and
different reasons for going hypo. A person on insulin for example would be
foolish NOT to use a fat-free fast sugar. A person would also be foolish in
my opinion to not test every 5 minutes when an insulin user. Highly sweet
liquids can and do produce a result by the 5 minute mark.

> Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
> know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
> perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.

You could say the same when you use an all encompassing piece of advice
about the foolishness of using something with fat.

> I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT

Yes.

--
Don't worry about the world ending today.
... It's already tomorrow in Australia. Unless

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Helen Back" > wrote in message

> "Màck©®" > wrote in message

>>>I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
>>>and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.
>>>
>>>Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
>>>know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
>>>perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or
>>>T2.
>>>Because you don't bother with a sigline.
>>>
>>>I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT
>>>
>>>rk, t1
>>>

>> anyone who was reading longer than a day would know that Helen was a
>> type 2. they would also know that she didn't say a hypo should be
>> treated with bacon and eggs. however. A mild type 2 hypo could
>> easily be treated with bacon, eggs, and a little juice and or a
>> biscuit. Amazingly enough even a mild type 1 hypo can be treated in
>> the same manner.

> Thank you, Mack. I didnt explain myself to rk for the simple reason
> being that my "bacon and eggs in the pocket" comment was a joke (hence the
> :P) - and the fact that rk ended with a dismissive "OUT".

Yes, it very obviously was a joke but for some type 2's, including myself,
ANY food can bring me out of a hypo. Even mostly protein.

On Jan 3, 7:17�am, M�ck�� > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:50:10 -0800 (PST), Kurt
>

> > wrote:
>
> >Chocolate is not a good way to treat a hypo for Type 1's or Type 2's.
> >You said it best, Reisa. �Here is what the ADA says about treating a
> >hypo for Type 2's:

> >http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabe...poglycemia.jsp

> >(excerpt)

> >How do you treat hypoglycemia?

> >The quickest way to raise your blood glucose and treat hypoglycemia is
> >with some form of sugar, such as 3 glucose tablets (you can buy these
> >at the drug store), 1/2 cup of fruit juice, or 5-6 pieces of hard
> >candy.

> again, kurt who once pretended to be a type 2 in order to troll the
> group, is intentionally taking a specific situation out of context.

Yes, I did that in one post 5 years ago. And I also apologized for
that. That's the difference between you and me, Mack. You never
apologize for your errors in this newsgroup, There have been many
times when you have been wrong, but refuse to ever acknowlege it.
Maybe you just don't know the difference between right or wrong, or
maybe you do and don't have a conscience about it. People like you
who choose to not archive their posts are usually covering up a lot of
past sins.

> not all type 2s treating a hypo want "the quickest" response when
> treating a hypo. �Nor do they want something that will burn off
> quickly.

Any advice on treating a hypo should be given by a professional who
knows the exact needs of the diabetic. Since some here keep changing
their personal take on what constitutes a hypo and how to treat
it...for a long time most agreed, including yourself, that chocolate
is a terrible way to treat a hypo, any hypo. The advice now changes
because Reisa states it and she is not part of the mob mentality that
rules here. Now all of a sudden even protein is fine to treat a
hypo. BS, if that treats a hypo then it's not a hypo to begin with.
You even had to add "juice and biscuit" to the bacon and eggs "joke"
in order to side with your buddies.

> As short a time as RK has been a type 1 these mistakes are
> understandable, but as long as you have been type 1 and you still
> don't know the differences between type 1 and 2 hypos

Where's your degree on this issue, Dr. Mack? I do recognize everyone
is different, but I don't care what type you are, if your blood sugar
goes low enough to cause a hypoglycemic episode then it should not be
treated with chocolate. Too slow to bring the number back up in a
safe range. But I would encourage anyone, other than the geniuses in
here who think they know more than doctors, to consult with their
doctor about how they should treat a hypo if they have one. None of
here are experts, but unfortunately only a few of us seem to realize
that.

Kurt
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Kurt" > wrote in message

Any advice on treating a hypo should be given by a professional who knows
the exact needs of the diabetic.

---------------------------

Exactly, which Reisa is not. The safest "advice" if anyone is giving advice
would be to say use a fast acting sugar without fat if not differentiating
between types.

---------------------------

K: Since some here keep changing their personal take on what constitutes a
hypo and how to treat it...for a long time most agreed, including yourself,
that chocolate is a terrible way to treat a hypo, any hypo.

----------------------------

Chocolate is not advised but it certainly works for some people so it should
not come under an "absolute" as Reisa has done. If a type 2 on no meds or
insulin is able to treat a hypo with chocolate then they personally are not
"foolish".

K; The advice now changes because Reisa states it and she is not part of the
mob mentality that rules here.

-------------------------------
No, Reisa made a blanket statement and stated if one did otherwise they were
foolish..

---------------------------------------

K: Now all of a sudden even protein is fine to treat a
hypo.

I repeat, eating ANY food can work for me personally, not you or maybe the
next person. In fact sometimes a type 2 using sugar as a fast remedy ends up
rollercoasting back and forth for days because of the nature of "our" beast.
As a type 2 that is my experience and I am free to share my experiences. I
don't advise anyone to follow my ways but I used the example because of
Reisa's absolute comment. Everything is not always black and white.

K: BS, if that treats a hypo then it's not a hypo to begin with.

I would call a 2.6 hypo, wouldn't you?

-------------------------------------

K: Where's your degree on this issue, Dr. Mack? I do recognize everyone is
different, but I don't care what type you are, if your blood sugar goes low
enough to cause a hypoglycemic episode then it should not betreated with
chocolate. Too slow to bring the number back up in a safe range.

----------------------------------

Mack never mentioned he uses chocolate as a hypo remedy nor does he say he
recommends it for others. He is merely pointing out there are differences,
as you say, between individuals and types and it is not Reisa's business to
call people foolish for not treating a hypo in the way she does and needs
to. Not everyone needs to treat a hypo with glucose. I can comfortably say
that without meds or insulin I will not go unconscious and that although
uncomfortable, I can pull out of a hypo in a number of different ways.You
are reading things into what people here are saying.

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Kurt" > wrote in message
>
> Any advice on treating a hypo should be given by a professional who knows
> the exact needs of the diabetic.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Exactly, which Reisa is not. The safest "advice" if anyone is giving
> advice would be to say use a fast acting sugar without fat if not
> differentiating between types.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> K: Since some here keep changing their personal take on what constitutes a
> hypo and how to treat it...for a long time most agreed, including
> yourself, that chocolate is a terrible way to treat a hypo, any hypo.
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Chocolate is not advised but it certainly works for some people so it
> should not come under an "absolute" as Reisa has done. If a type 2 on no
> meds or insulin is able to treat a hypo with chocolate then they
> personally are not "foolish".

> K; The advice now changes because Reisa states it and she is not part of
> the mob mentality that rules here.
>
> -------------------------------
> No, Reisa made a blanket statement and stated if one did otherwise they
> were foolish..
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> K: Now all of a sudden even protein is fine to treat a
> hypo.

> I repeat, eating ANY food can work for me personally, not you or maybe the
> next person. In fact sometimes a type 2 using sugar as a fast remedy ends
> up rollercoasting back and forth for days because of the nature of "our"
> beast. As a type 2 that is my experience and I am free to share my
> experiences. I don't advise anyone to follow my ways but I used the
> example because of Reisa's absolute comment. Everything is not always
> black and white.
>
> K: BS, if that treats a hypo then it's not a hypo to begin with.

> I would call a 2.6 hypo, wouldn't you?
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> K: Where's your degree on this issue, Dr. Mack? I do recognize everyone is
> different, but I don't care what type you are, if your blood sugar goes
> low enough to cause a hypoglycemic episode then it should not betreated
> with chocolate. Too slow to bring the number back up in a safe range.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Mack never mentioned he uses chocolate as a hypo remedy nor does he say he
> recommends it for others. He is merely pointing out there are differences,
> as you say, between individuals and types and it is not Reisa's business
> to call people foolish for not treating a hypo in the way she does and
> needs to. Not everyone needs to treat a hypo with glucose. I can
> comfortably say that without meds or insulin I will not go unconscious and
> that although uncomfortable, I can pull out of a hypo in a number of
> different ways.You are reading things into what people here are saying.

I once used a piece of whole wheat bread to bring myself out of a hypo. I
was visiting an aunt's house. She's a real health food nut and had no form
of sugar in the house whatever. I don't exactly LIKE whole wheat bread, but
it worked.

I have personally used chocolate to treat hypos. I wouldn't now, given my
food allergies. And I agree it's not the most fast acting thing. But back
when I was hyperthyroid, I kept having near constant hypos. I ate a lot of
chocolate in those days and lot of nuts!

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

As a type two if i use pure sugar as in candy to treat a hypo or even just a
low to where i feel bad..which to me is as important..
I would go on a rollor coaster ride of highs and lows that is zero fun.
The solution for me if im begining one is to eat something that stabalises
me from falling more and going way up abve my baseline.
For me the answer is usually nuts or a peanutbutter sandwhich..anything with
a good carg/fat/protien mix to treat the low and sustain me after.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> I once used a piece of whole wheat bread to bring myself out of a hypo.
> I was visiting an aunt's house. She's a real health food nut and had no
> form of sugar in the house whatever. I don't exactly LIKE whole wheat
> bread, but it worked.
>
> I have personally used chocolate to treat hypos. I wouldn't now, given my
> food allergies. And I agree it's not the most fast acting thing. But
> back when I was hyperthyroid, I kept having near constant hypos. I ate a
> lot of chocolate in those days and lot of nuts!

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:13:34 GMT, "Helen Back"
> > wrote:
>
>>All I know is, since dx and with fantastic help from many of you here, my
>>bg
>>has rarely gone above 7.0 (127.8), my A1c was 6.6 on my first check up
>>(not
>>bad considering I am only 4 months in), I've lost over 2 stone in weight
>>(28lbs), I rarely feel that awful tiredness I used to have, I rarely get
>>tetchy and moody like I used to and I dont get my hypo's where I used to
>>retch or vomit and walk sideways walking down the street.

> You're doing great. Don't let anyone bother you.
>
> And if it's any consolation, I spent several minutes working out how,
> if you wanted to, you could port eggs and bacon - just as a
> hypothetical exercise :P

OCK! You are *such* a cad, girl!!! )))))

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Helen Back" > wrote in message

>>> anyone who was reading longer than a day would know that Helen was a
>>> type 2. they would also know that she didn't say a hypo should be
>>> treated with bacon and eggs. however. A mild type 2 hypo could
>>> easily be treated with bacon, eggs, and a little juice and or a
>>> biscuit. Amazingly enough even a mild type 1 hypo can be treated in
>>> the same manner.

>> Thank you, Mack. I didnt explain myself to rk for the simple reason
>> being that my "bacon and eggs in the pocket" comment was a joke (hence
>> the :P) - and the fact that rk ended with a dismissive "OUT".

> Yes, it very obviously was a joke but for some type 2's, including myself,
> ANY food can bring me out of a hypo. Even mostly protein.

That's how I stop getting low bg crashes by eating a protein enriched
breakfast - it allows me to last a few hours as opposed to a couple.
Especially if I decide, on a whim, to go for long walks in the middle of
nowhere. Wales is full of large expanses of green hills and mountains (with
the odd castle on top!).

I will normally eat 1 rasher of bacon, 2 poached eggs and a couple of
mushrooms with a slice of linseed/soya toast - followed by a handful of
raspberries and yoghurt.

That one morning I dare to speak of again, I didnt allow myself time to eat
properly - it was a slice of bread and a pear, I think. And, of course, a
brisk walk on a steep hill caused me to plunge. My bg was 3.8 (68.4) - and
how I managed to prick my finger, considering how bad my hands were shaking,
I do not know!

Before the days of dx, anything sugary (mainly mars bars, snickers,
whatever) that I took when I felt *ill* would make me feel even sicker. So,
I would crash into a bakery and buy myself a sandwich or a meat pasty of
some kind and that would help immensely. But its only since dx that I find
dark choc of the 70%+ variety that brings me up in a comfortable way.

I'm still learning about the complex and technical way in which we have to
learn about the do's and dont's of diabetes and I have read that sugar IS
the worst thing one can eat to bring bg up - but I simply find the lower
sugar content of a dark choc bar enough to bring me out of the crash of low
bg.

It is about individuals chosen method of recuperation and its also about a
person knowing their own body and its reactions to certain situations.
And it is different for everyone.

Of course, the most obvious moral of the story (for me) is: eat a proper
breakfast before engaging in any high impact, cardiovascular exercise.

(Those ancient castles sure are pretty close up!!) )))

Posted to alt.support.diabetes, alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for all the good discussion. If I can remember, I will take
with me the stuff I use on long bicycle rides, hiking in NH or skiing
in winter - it's "GU" and comes in foil packets. It's sort of like
frosting in consistency and has about 100 calories with carbs etc.
Because of it's form, it gets into you quickly. Not sure if the
diabetic community has discovered this as a possibility. It is sold at
bike shops and outdoor sports stores. Normally when I am dragging it
gets me goi8ng in about 10 minutes.
Happy New Year - Trekman
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

In alt.support.diabetes krom > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>> I once used a piece of whole wheat bread to bring myself out of a hypo.
>> I was visiting an aunt's house. She's a real health food nut and had no
>> form of sugar in the house whatever. I don't exactly LIKE whole wheat
>> bread, but it worked.
>>
>> I have personally used chocolate to treat hypos. I wouldn't now, given my
>> food allergies. And I agree it's not the most fast acting thing. But
>> back when I was hyperthyroid, I kept having near constant hypos. I ate a
>> lot of chocolate in those days and lot of nuts!

> As a type two if i use pure sugar as in candy to treat a hypo or even just a
> low to where i feel bad..which to me is as important..
> I would go on a rollor coaster ride of highs and lows that is zero fun.
> The solution for me if im begining one is to eat something that stabalises
> me from falling more and going way up abve my baseline.
> For me the answer is usually nuts or a peanutbutter sandwhich..anything with
> a good carg/fat/protien mix to treat the low and sustain me after.

Exactly. The danger of getting onto a reactive hypoglycemia roller
coaster is a real danger for non-insulin using T2 who still have good
second phase insulin responses left, and one that doesn't exist for
insulin users. Whereas insulin users have to avoid the risk of serious
medical emergency lows, a danger that doesn't exist for many
non-insulin using T2s. Quite different dangers, with quite different
appropriate remedies to avoid them.

Any generic advice about hypos which doesn't differentiate between
these two quite different kinds of hypo condition is crudely and
dangerously over-simplified. Kurt's long quotation of the ADA advice
was a good example of that kind of crude over-simplification.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Kurt" > wrote in message
On Jan 3, 7:17?am, M?ck?? > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:50:10 -0800 (PST), Kurt

But I would encourage anyone, other than the geniuses in
here who think they know more than doctors, to consult with their
doctor about how they should treat a hypo if they have one.

Exactly why I ask you in another thread what you would do IF you didnt have
a doctor or professional trained in diabetes.

There is so much conflicting documentation strewn everywhere (from books,
websites, articles, etc) - my diabetes nurse gasped at my simple statement
that I dont eat white basmatic rice because it makes my bg spike. She
retorted, quite indignantly, "Well, I cant see how that could happen, it has
one of the lowest glycaemic levels"!!

She takes and gives all her information from the Diabetes UK organisation
and promptly passed me onto another doctor after I informed her that I have
cut my intake of starchy foods (potatoes, bread etc). She ignored me
completely when, in answer to her comment about changing from white
(refined) bread to wholemeal, I added that I dont eat wholemeal as alot of
wholemeal breads are also processed, altho it looks healthily brown. I'll
stick to my 4 slices of Burgen linseed and soya bread!

Who do we believe, who do we take our advice from if there is so much
conflicting information?

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

What some type ones seem to forget is that while i may not go into a comma
with a low..i can pass out or become disoriented and irrational.
I have as a type two gone as low as the 30's which is pretty darn low!
If i was driving or doing somthign requiring a clear head i would be a risk
to not just me but others.
So finding the right and safe way for me to come out of a low and stay
stable is important.

KROM

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote
The danger of getting onto a reactive hypoglycemia roller
> coaster is a real danger for non-insulin using T2 who still have good
> second phase insulin responses left, and one that doesn't exist for
> insulin users. Whereas insulin users have to avoid the risk of serious
> medical emergency lows, a danger that doesn't exist for many
> non-insulin using T2s. Quite different dangers, with quite different
> appropriate remedies to avoid them.
>
> Any generic advice about hypos which doesn't differentiate between
> these two quite different kinds of hypo condition is crudely and
> dangerously over-simplified. Kurt's long quotation of the ADA advice
> was a good example of that kind of crude over-simplification.
>
> --
> Chris Malcolm DoD #205
> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:50:06 GMT, Helen Back posted:

>There is so much conflicting documentation strewn everywhere (from books,
>websites, articles, etc) - my diabetes nurse gasped at my simple statement
>that I dont eat white basmatic rice because it makes my bg spike. She
>retorted, quite indignantly, "Well, I cant see how that could happen, it has
>one of the lowest glycaemic levels"!!
>
>She takes and gives all her information from the Diabetes UK organisation
>and promptly passed me onto another doctor after I informed her that I have
>cut my intake of starchy foods (potatoes, bread etc). She ignored me
>completely when, in answer to her comment about changing from white
>(refined) bread to wholemeal, I added that I dont eat wholemeal as alot of
>wholemeal breads are also processed, altho it looks healthily brown. I'll
>stick to my 4 slices of Burgen linseed and soya bread!
>
>Who do we believe, who do we take our advice from if there is so much
>conflicting information?

And that is the best argument ever, for thinking for yourself; for
finding out more about YOUR reactions to food, and trying out the
advice of people who are demonstrably achieving goals you strive for.

--
Larry, T2, Saskatchewan, Canada.
DX 24 Aug 07. D&E
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Thanks, Kurt, for posting such an excellent example of the really
> stupid way the ADA lumps together insulin-using T2s and non-insulin
> using T2s :-)

Eh... I used Sweetarts (which are nearly pure glucose and better-tasting
and cheaper than glucose tablets) before insulin... when the only time I
ever went low was with strength training type of exercise... and still
use it today on insulin, when lows can be from multiple things.

It's hard to beat glucose for raising bg fast if you're really going low.

Though if you're just "sorta" low, and feeling crappy, any kind of treat
you normally deny yourself works. I'd be less inclined to do that
*myself* cause treats I keep around would be a regular source of
temptation for me, whereas Sweetarts aren't.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> Yes, it very obviously was a joke but for some type 2's, including myself,
> ANY food can bring me out of a hypo. Even mostly protein.

I didn't notice it before insulin much, but protein raises my bg
substantially - about 50%. I have to dose for 30g of protein the same
as for 15g total carb or 10 g net carb.

EVERYONE'S mileage will vary, as there's too many biochemical processes
going on to predict how much protein is converted to glucose in an
individual's case.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> As a type two if i use pure sugar as in candy to treat a hypo or even just a
> low to where i feel bad..which to me is as important..
> I would go on a rollor coaster ride of highs and lows that is zero fun.

No, you have to dose it properly. For me, 4 Sweetarts raises my bg
around 10 mg/dL. This is *much* more precise than just eating candy or
drinking juice. I can correct to almost exactly where I want to be.

I don't correct unless I go under 70 and I "aim" to correct to 100, so
am almost always going to be taking at least 12 Sweetarts.

You go high if you decide a low is a reason to just binge. Correcting
*precisely* with candy isn't the same at all.

> The solution for me if im begining one is to eat something that stabalises
> me from falling more and going way up abve my baseline.
> For me the answer is usually nuts or a peanutbutter sandwhich..anything with
> a good carg/fat/protien mix to treat the low and sustain me after.

For me, sustaining myself after is a whole other ballgame... a regular
meal after the Sweetarts. The Sweetarts are just to fix the problem fast.

But it depends. I have the flu right now and am uncertain what I can
eat that will stay with me. For the past few days, I am not injecting
before meals at all anymore. Basically, I eat, knowing I'll go high,
and if it stays down for a couple hours, then I test and inject to
correct.

This seems to me the safest way to deal, but I'm a T2 and unlikely to go
sky high if I don't inject for a meal. Plus, it's not like there's a
lot of food in my meals right now (though carby than usual).

Overall, it seems a lot easier to *avoid* hypos than treat them.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Exactly. The danger of getting onto a reactive hypoglycemia roller
> coaster is a real danger for non-insulin using T2 who still have good
> second phase insulin responses left, and one that doesn't exist for
> insulin users. Whereas insulin users have to avoid the risk of serious
> medical emergency lows, a danger that doesn't exist for many
> non-insulin using T2s. Quite different dangers, with quite different
> appropriate remedies to avoid them.

It's not just injected insulin; a lot of T2s take pancreas-stimulating
medications also. Then a hypo can be just as serious... your body
doesn't distinguish between homemade insulin vs. the injected stuff.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:50:06 GMT, "Helen Back"
> wrote:

>Who do we believe, who do we take our advice from if there is so much
>conflicting information?

Your meter, your intelligence, and your avid reading of the available
knowledge.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:50:06 GMT, "Helen Back"
> wrote:
>
>"Kurt" > wrote in message
>>
>> But I would encourage anyone, other than the geniuses in
>> here who think they know more than doctors, to consult with their
>> doctor about how they should treat a hypo if they have one.

> Exactly why I ask you in another thread what you would do IF you didnt have
> a doctor or professional trained in diabetes.

You're not likely to get an answer to that question from him, Helen.
In Kurt's perfect world, all diabetics are treated by a team of highly
educated and competent doctors, nutritionists, dieticians, nurses,
etc. The only way it could get better is with limo rides to all those
appointments.

On Jan 3, 5:26�am, "rk" > wrote:
> "Helen Back" > wrote in message

> | Chocolate is less greasy in the pocket than bacon and eggs! :P
>
> I pity the fool who would attempt to treat a hypo with bacon
> and eggs.. pure protein wouldn't help in any form of hypo condition.
>
> Joking or not, a new diabetic and never reading here prior wouldn't
> know the difference and if they followed that advice could cause them
> perhaps death! You also don't bother to state this info is for a T1 or T2.
> Because you don't bother with a sigline.
>
> I think I'll save myself further stress.. OUT

The main problem with this thread is that people are not
distinguishing what they mean by a "hypo". Seems to me the ones that
recommend chocolate or protein mean it as a way to avoid a hypo as
opposed to treating a hypo. Big difference between the two.

Kurt
Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

For me a hypo is below 70 and i never eat junk to fix it.
If im really bad i will eat 2 or so pieces of hard candy untill i am in
control enough to go eat real food such as the peanut butter sandwhich on
low carb bread.

If i dont eat the protien and fat even if i regulate myself to precise candy
intake i will rollor coaster..i believe quenton explained it better then i
could the bio reasons.

KROM