Julie Bove

Default Sugar Free Fudge

Sugar Free Fudge

Ingredients

16 oz Cream cheese, softened
2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea)
1/2 c Sugar substitute
1 t Vanilla extract
1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Melt chocolate. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, chocolate,
sweetener and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into well- greased
8-inch square baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Exchanges: 1 fat

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>Sugar Free Fudge
>
>Ingredients
>
>16 oz Cream cheese, softened
>2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea)
>1/2 c Sugar substitute
>1 t Vanilla extract
>1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
>Melt chocolate. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, chocolate,
>sweetener and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into well- greased
>8-inch square baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
>Exchanges: 1 fat
>

>--
>Type 2
>http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie any idea of the carb count? .I dont do exchanges..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Julie Bove

"Jmmbear" > wrote in message

> Julie any idea of the carb count? .I dont do exchanges..

Since there are no carb exchanges listed, it would be less than 4g per
serving. I don't think there are any carbs in the chocolate. If there are,
they would be miniscule. There would be a small amount of carb in the nuts.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jennifer

Here's the carb count for those that wanted:

Sugar Free Fudge

Ingredients

16 oz Cream cheese, softened 12g of carbs
2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea) 17g of carbs.
1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs.
1 t Vanilla extract 0.5 g of carbs
1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) Nuts MINUS the fiber:
Walnuts: 4g Pecans: 5g

Total: 41.5g without nuts. 46g with nuts
Divide by however many pieces you cut the pan into.

Jennifer

Lori

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:25:03 -0800, Jennifer
> wrote:

>1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
>that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
>A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

____

Lori

On 10-Nov-2003, Lori > wrote:

> > wrote:
>
> >1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
> >that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
> >A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

> I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
> here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

I am not trying to be mean with this question; but, what makes Jennifer any
more of an authority on the nutritional content of Splenda than the
manufacturer's label? Why should I believe her assertion?

Thanks,
Larry
Jennifer

I'd have no reason to make this stuff up. In the US, if a serving has
less than 1 g of carbs, they can label it as zero. the problem lies
when you use a lot. Those 0.5 and 0.7 g add up.

Here you go... directly from the manufacturers website.

THIS is from the US website:

People with Diabetes can Enjoy the Great Sugar-Like Taste of SPLENDAŽ No
Calorie Sweetener!
Sucralose, or SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, the no calorie sweetening
ingredient in SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and
has been shown in studies to have no effect on blood glucose control or
insulin levels.
Like other tabletop sweeteners, the granular and packet products contain
bulking ingredients, dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are natural
food ingredients. These ingredients provide volume and contain an
insignificant amount of carbohydrate (less than 1 gram) and calories
(less than 5) per serving, so that SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener meets
FDA's standards for "no-calorie" foods.

But THIS is from the UK website... they give exact numbers:

Enjoy the Foods You Love...
SPLENDAŽ Low Calorie Sweetener is exciting news for people with
diabetes, because it can help you and your family enjoy the sweet taste
of foods and drinks, without all the calories and carbohydrates of sugar.
Sucralose, the calorie-free sweetening ingredient in SPLENDAŽ Low
Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and has been shown in studies
to have no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels.
Like many tabletop sweeteners, the Granular product contains the bulking
ingredient maltodextrin, which is derived from natural food starches.
This ingredient provides volume and contains a minimal level of
carbohydrates (SPLENDAŽ Granular contains 0.5g of carbohydrate and 2
Calories per 0.5g teaspoon).

Jennifer

wrote:
> On 10-Nov-2003, Lori > wrote:
>

> wrote:
>>

>>>1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
>>>that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
>>>A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

>>I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
>>here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

> I am not trying to be mean with this question; but, what makes Jennifer any
> more of an authority on the nutritional content of Splenda than the
> manufacturer's label? Why should I believe her assertion?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>> Julie any idea of the carb count? .I dont do exchanges..

>Since there are no carb exchanges listed, it would be less than 4g per
>serving. I don't think there are any carbs in the chocolate. If there are,
>they would be miniscule. There would be a small amount of carb in the nuts.
>
>--
>Type 2
>http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

The baking chocolate has 4 grams of carb minus the 2 grams of fiber.. per 1/2
oz of chocolate..Dang, that would make that recipe 16 grams of carb for the
chocolate minus 8 grams of fiber.. so, 8 active grams of carbs per recipe..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Jmmbear

In article >, Lori
> writes:

>>1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
>>that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
>>A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

>I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
>here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...
>
>____
>
>Lori

Lori according to one of the data bases online..Splenda in the packages is .5
carbs per package. and The splenda in bulk is 12 grams of carbs per half cup.
On the regular splenda box it can list 0 carbs , because it is less than .99
grams carb.. That is the same as the other sugar subitutes..
All the splenda website says is that it is less than 1. gr carb, it doesnt
specify.. That is why you watch out for items listing 0 carbs, they may have up
to .9 carbs PER serving.. Many times you will notice one brand lists 1 tbsp as
a serving and others listing 2tbsp as a serving..Often this is because if they
listed the carb count on 2 tbsp it would come up more than 0 gr carb.
I learned the hard way.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Jmmbear

In article >, Jennifer
> writes:

>Sugar Free Fudge
>
>Ingredients
>
>16 oz Cream cheese, softened 12g of carbs
>2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea) 17g of carbs.
>1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
>that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
>A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs.
>1 t Vanilla extract 0.5 g of carbs
>1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) Nuts MINUS the fiber:
>Walnuts: 4g Pecans: 5g
>
>Total: 41.5g without nuts. 46g with nuts
>Divide by however many pieces you cut the pan into.
>
>Jennifer

thanks Jennifer..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Alan

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:59:10 -0800, Jennifer

>>>I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
>>>here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

>> I am not trying to be mean with this question; but, what makes Jennifer any
>> more of an authority on the nutritional content of Splenda than the
>> manufacturer's label? Why should I believe her assertion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry

>I'd have no reason to make this stuff up. In the US, if a serving has
>less than 1 g of carbs, they can label it as zero. the problem lies
>when you use a lot. Those 0.5 and 0.7 g add up.
>
>Here you go... directly from the manufacturers website.
>
>THIS is from the US website:
>
>People with Diabetes can Enjoy the Great Sugar-Like Taste of SPLENDAŽ No
>Calorie Sweetener!
>Sucralose, or SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, the no calorie sweetening
>ingredient in SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and
>has been shown in studies to have no effect on blood glucose control or
>insulin levels.
>Like other tabletop sweeteners, the granular and packet products contain
>bulking ingredients, dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are natural
>food ingredients. These ingredients provide volume and contain an
>insignificant amount of carbohydrate (less than 1 gram) and calories
>(less than 5) per serving, so that SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener meets
>FDA's standards for "no-calorie" foods.
>
>But THIS is from the UK website... they give exact numbers:
>
>Enjoy the Foods You Love...
>SPLENDAŽ Low Calorie Sweetener is exciting news for people with
>diabetes, because it can help you and your family enjoy the sweet taste
>of foods and drinks, without all the calories and carbohydrates of sugar.
>Sucralose, the calorie-free sweetening ingredient in SPLENDAŽ Low
>Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and has been shown in studies
>to have no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels.
>Like many tabletop sweeteners, the Granular product contains the bulking
>ingredient maltodextrin, which is derived from natural food starches.
>This ingredient provides volume and contains a minimal level of
>carbohydrates (SPLENDAŽ Granular contains 0.5g of carbohydrate and 2
>Calories per 0.5g teaspoon).
>

>Jennifer

Fair question.

Great answer.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.

On 10-Nov-2003, Jennifer > wrote:

> I'd have no reason to make this stuff up. In the US, if a serving has
> less than 1 g of carbs, they can label it as zero. the problem lies
> when you use a lot. Those 0.5 and 0.7 g add up.
>
> Here you go... directly from the manufacturers website.
>
> THIS is from the US website:
>
> People with Diabetes can Enjoy the Great Sugar-Like Taste of SPLENDAŽ No
> Calorie Sweetener!
> Sucralose, or SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, the no calorie sweetening
> ingredient in SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener, is not a carbohydrate and
> has been shown in studies to have no effect on blood glucose control or
> insulin levels.

Thanks for citing your source. I've been online a long time and have become
skeptical of assertions by people I don;t know. Though you may not make
this stuff up, there are plenty of people out there who do. Then there are
the delusional and misguided.

Thanks,
Larry

Julie Bove

"Lori" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:25:03 -0800, Jennifer
> > wrote:
>
> >1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking ingredient
> >that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
> >A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

> I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
> here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

My box says <1 g of carb per teaspoon. Rather vague, but at least they are
telling you there are carbs!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

> wrote in message
m...

> On 10-Nov-2003, Lori > wrote:
>
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >1/2 c Sugar substitute If you use bulk AS, it has a bulking

ingredient
> > >that has carbs: Splenda for example has .5g per teaspoon.
> > >A half cup has 24 teaspoons or 12g of carbs

> > I didn't know that. It isn't on the Splenda box anywhere. grrrr And
> > here I've been not counting any carbs from the sweetener...

> I am not trying to be mean with this question; but, what makes Jennifer

any
> more of an authority on the nutritional content of Splenda than the
> manufacturer's label? Why should I believe her assertion?

Read the label!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

"Jmmbear" > wrote in message

> The baking chocolate has 4 grams of carb minus the 2 grams of fiber.. per

1/2
> oz of chocolate..Dang, that would make that recipe 16 grams of carb for

the
> chocolate minus 8 grams of fiber.. so, 8 active grams of carbs per

recipe..

I made some today. Had to use cocoa powder and butter since I had no baking
chocolate. Will buy some chocolate tomorrow because I had a hard time
getting the cocoa to mix in and there are a few unpleasant little balls of
cocoa lurking in there still.

My daughter and husband hated the stuff, but I thought it was good. Not
like my Mom's fudge by any means. Tasted slightly like cheesecake, but not
overwhelmingly so. I added walnuts, and more than the 1/2 cup the recipe
called for. It's VERY rich! I doubt if you'd want to eat more than a small
bite at a time.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>> The baking chocolate has 4 grams of carb minus the 2 grams of fiber.. per

>1/2
>> oz of chocolate..Dang, that would make that recipe 16 grams of carb for

>the
>> chocolate minus 8 grams of fiber.. so, 8 active grams of carbs per

>recipe..
>
>I made some today. Had to use cocoa powder and butter since I had no baking
>chocolate. Will buy some chocolate tomorrow because I had a hard time
>getting the cocoa to mix in and there are a few unpleasant little balls of
>cocoa lurking in there still.
>
>My daughter and husband hated the stuff, but I thought it was good. Not
>like my Mom's fudge by any means. Tasted slightly like cheesecake, but not
>overwhelmingly so. I added walnuts, and more than the 1/2 cup the recipe
>called for. It's VERY rich! I doubt if you'd want to eat more than a small
>bite at a time.
>
>--
>Type 2

When you use the cocoa powder use a wisk and add it in small amounts until it
is mixed in thoroughly each time.. I have a great brownie recipe that I dont
make anymore that uses cocoa powder.. I tried subsituting splenda, but not
enough moisture.. I will have to experiment more.. I willl do this around the
holidays, that way I can give it away.. LOL
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Julie Bove

"Jmmbear" > wrote in message

> When you use the cocoa powder use a wisk and add it in small amounts until

it
> is mixed in thoroughly each time..

I tried several things and had to resort to the mixer. A whisk wouldn't do
because the cream cheese is rather stiff. Tried it again today using the
unsweetened chocolate, and it gave a smoother texture, and a slightly better
flavor, I think. Also, the stuff was hard to get out of the pan. So this
time, I made it into balls and rolled them in chopped walnuts. They look
beautiful! Will have to see how well they go over at the meeting tomorrow
night.

>I have a great brownie recipe that I dont make anymore that uses cocoa

powder.. I tried subsituting splenda, but not
> enough moisture.. I will have to experiment more.. I willl do this around

the
> holidays, that way I can give it away.. LOL

I haven't had a brownie since before diagnosis. I used to be very picky as
to what went into and on my brownies. Walnuts were a must. Cream cheese
(or even leftover ricotta) was nice, but they had to have oodles of frosting
on top. *sigh* Oh, the memories!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>I haven't had a brownie since before diagnosis. I used to be very picky as
>to what went into and on my brownies. Walnuts were a must. Cream cheese
>(or even leftover ricotta) was nice, but they had to have oodles of frosting
>on top. *sigh* Oh, the memories!
>
>--
>Type 2

Sounds wonderfull... I had a great brownie recipe and used to make huge batches
to take on bus trips when I chaperoned.. I cut them in small pieces and handed
them out a bit at a time.. Kids loved them, as did i.
Even better with a large glass of cold milk..Sigh.. Okay, one night I will try
this and see what happens.. LOL
Im less carb sensative at night..Those brownies sound awfull good right now..
Time to go to sleep and dream.. I better not wake up with a pillow
missing..haha.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Jennifer

Default REC: Chocolate Walnut Brownies (Was: Sugar Free Fudge)

These aren't like the Brownies of our dreams... but they do help!

MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Splenda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cream (or water or coffee)
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square pan.

In a mixer, cream together the butter and Splenda. Add the eggs, one at a
time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla and cream, blending well. In a
small bowl, mix together the almond flour, xantham gum, salt and baking
soda. Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating
with the chocolate. Fold in the nuts. This makes a very stiff batter -
almost dough-like.

Spread the batter in the greased pan, and baking for about 12-13 minutes,
or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 16 1-inch squares.

Makes 16 servings, 3.38 carbs per serving.

Jmmbear wrote:
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > writes:
>

>>I haven't had a brownie since before diagnosis. I used to be very picky as
>>to what went into and on my brownies. Walnuts were a must. Cream cheese
>>(or even leftover ricotta) was nice, but they had to have oodles of frosting
>>on top. *sigh* Oh, the memories!
>>
>>--
>>Type 2

> Sounds wonderfull... I had a great brownie recipe and used to make huge batches
> to take on bus trips when I chaperoned.. I cut them in small pieces and handed
> them out a bit at a time.. Kids loved them, as did i.
> Even better with a large glass of cold milk..Sigh.. Okay, one night I will try
> this and see what happens.. LOL
> Im less carb sensative at night..Those brownies sound awfull good right now..
> Time to go to sleep and dream.. I better not wake up with a pillow
> missing..haha.
> As always YMMV and this is JMO
> Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
> 189/154/120

Jmmbear

In article >, Jennifer
> writes:

>These aren't like the Brownies of our dreams... but they do help!
>
>MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES

Thanks Jenn, Myra has some awesome recipes.