Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pumpkin, lentil and tofu salad

Metric

300 gr peeled pumpkin (I'd use sweet potato)
cut in 2 cm cubes - I leave skin on all pumpkin and sweet potato..)
300 gr cauliflower cut into florets
200 gr (1 cup) brown lentils, rinsed (the red split lentils have a higher GI
I think, the brown (green) ones have more fibre).
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large brown onions sliced
1 red capsicum (red pepper) cut into thin strips
300 gr firm tofu, drained cut into small cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch saffron threads (optional)
40 gr (1/4 cup) sunflower seed kernels
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves - chopped
100 gr low-fat plain yoghurt
1 tablespoon harissa (Nth African chilli paste) - optional

1. Steam the pumpkin and cauliflower separately. Drain and set aside. Boil
the lentils for about 20 minutes. Drain.

2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and
capsicum and cook on lower heat for 20 minutes or until caramelised. Put
half the mix in a small bowl.

3. Add the tofu, cinnamon, allspice, saffron, sunflower seed kernels and
water to the onion mix in the frying pan. Cook over medium heat until the
water has evaporated and the tofu is well coloured.

4. Transfer the tofu mixture to a medium bowl. Add the lentils, pumpkin,
cauliflower and mint, then gently toss to combine.

5. Serve the salad on individual plates topped with the remaining onion mix,
a dollop of yoghurt and a little hariss

Serves 6

Per serve:
942 kj (approx 235 cals)
total fat 10.5gr (sat fat 1.4gr)
cholesterol 1 mg
sodium 184 mg
carbs 16 gr (net)
fibre 6gr
protein 14 gr
GI Estimate: Low

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thank you altho I notice you say
"> 200 gr (1 cup) brown lentils"
200 or 250 ?

I only noticed that some recipies I was making from "Simply too good to be
true" cookbooks wern't really working then noticed that she uses a 15 gm
tablespoon and the one I was using was 20gm so even here the "Standard"
measure seem to differ.

Such is life :-)

RodS

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Metric
>
> 300 gr peeled pumpkin (I'd use sweet potato)
> cut in 2 cm cubes - I leave skin on all pumpkin and sweet potato..)
> 300 gr cauliflower cut into florets
> 200 gr (1 cup) brown lentils, rinsed (the red split lentils have a higher

GI
> I think, the brown (green) ones have more fibre).
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 3 large brown onions sliced
> 1 red capsicum (red pepper) cut into thin strips
> 300 gr firm tofu, drained cut into small cubes
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
> Pinch saffron threads (optional)
> 40 gr (1/4 cup) sunflower seed kernels
> 1 tablespoon water
> 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves - chopped
> 100 gr low-fat plain yoghurt
> 1 tablespoon harissa (Nth African chilli paste) - optional
>
> 1. Steam the pumpkin and cauliflower separately. Drain and set aside. Boil
> the lentils for about 20 minutes. Drain.
>
> 2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and
> capsicum and cook on lower heat for 20 minutes or until caramelised. Put
> half the mix in a small bowl.
>
> 3. Add the tofu, cinnamon, allspice, saffron, sunflower seed kernels and
> water to the onion mix in the frying pan. Cook over medium heat until the
> water has evaporated and the tofu is well coloured.
>
> 4. Transfer the tofu mixture to a medium bowl. Add the lentils, pumpkin,
> cauliflower and mint, then gently toss to combine.
>
> 5. Serve the salad on individual plates topped with the remaining onion

mix,
> a dollop of yoghurt and a little hariss
>
> Serves 6
>
> Per serve:
> 942 kj (approx 235 cals)
> total fat 10.5gr (sat fat 1.4gr)
> cholesterol 1 mg
> sodium 184 mg
> carbs 16 gr (net)
> fibre 6gr
> protein 14 gr
> GI Estimate: Low

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> Thank you altho I notice you say
> "> 200 gr (1 cup) brown lentils"
> 200 or 250 ?
>
> I only noticed that some recipies I was making from "Simply too good to
> be
> true" cookbooks wern't really working then noticed that she uses a 15 gm
> tablespoon and the one I was using was 20gm so even here the "Standard"
> measure seem to differ.

We use a 20 "ml" tablespoon here. In the recipe 1 cup of lentils probably
"weighs" 200 gr. Whereas when measuring a cup of liquid you are getting 250
ml. I had an argument with a guy in the UK a while back. He says that in the
UK they don't say things like a cup or a tablespoon etc. They say 30 gr of
this 250 gr of that. I think we could probably go further and say in here
that we are using a 20 ml tablespoon so the Americans can convert that way.
So for the lentils unless you have scales I would just use the cup
measurment.

> Such is life :-)

Lentil and Walnut Salad [email protected] General Cooking 11 20-11-2010 05:27 AM
REC: Lentil Salad Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 4 10-10-2007 10:36 AM
Lentil Salad Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 14-12-2005 02:42 AM
tofu pumpkin pie recipe request kalanamak General Cooking 2 07-12-2003 08:48 PM
tofu pumpkin pie, not "lo-fat" kalanamak General Cooking 0 28-11-2003 09:47 PM