Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hello!

Hello!

I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to installing
a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2 diabetic,
diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my diabetes and
lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in hand). I'm working on
getting everything back under control after a period of problems. I come
from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31.

I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but it can
be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.

I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if anyone's
interested.

Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sean Dennis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to installing
> a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2 diabetic,
> diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my diabetes and
> lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in hand). I'm working on
> getting everything back under control after a period of problems. I come
> from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31.
>
> I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but it can
> be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.
>
> I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
> database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if anyone's
> interested.
>
> Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
>
> --Sean

Hi Sean,

I'm the daughter of a Diabetic and also the wife of one. Though both
were originally diagnosed at T2, both needed insulin. My DH is on the pump.

I love to cook and to collect Diabetic-friendly recipes. I would very
much appreciate your offer to share them here.

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...
> Hello!
>
> I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to installing
> a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2 diabetic,
> diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my diabetes and
> lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in hand). I'm working
> on
> getting everything back under control after a period of problems. I come
> from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31.
>
> I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but it
> can
> be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.
>
> I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
> database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if anyone's
> interested.
>
> Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
>
> --Sean

Welcome.

If you want to exchange messages with more diabetics, you can
find them on alt.support.diabetes .

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> I'm the daughter of a Diabetic and also the wife of one. Though both
> were originally diagnosed at T2, both needed insulin. My DH is on the
> pump.

My mom is starting to develop diabetes at age 56 and my grandfather has
it also at 86, so my family is doing okay so far. I'm the only one who
was diagnosed with it early on.

> I love to cook and to collect Diabetic-friendly recipes. I would very
> much appreciate your offer to share them here.

Sure thing. Here's one for you now:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Low-Cal Chocolate Cake
Categories: Diabetic, Cakes, Low-fat, Chocolate, Tnt
Yield: 24 Servings

1 1/2 c Flour
1/8 c Granulated fructose
1/4 c Honey
2/3 c Unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
1 c Low fat milk (1%)
1/3 c Veg oil
3/16 c WonderFree fat substitute
1 Egg plus
1 Egg white

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13 X 9" cake pan with non-stick cooking
spray and flour it. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat
just until blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45
minutes. Let cool.

Or make a dozen cupcakes: 20 minutes at 350. [JW]

From the Diabetic Dessert Cookbook Posted 4 you and yours via Nancy
O'brion and her Meal-Master

And adapted by Roslind Minault to reduce fat and increase the
chocolate flavor. Re-posted by Jim Weller.

MMMMM

(This is just one out of my collection at random; I haven't actually made
this.)

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:54:51 -0000, Sean Dennis
> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to installing
>a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2 diabetic,
>diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my diabetes and
>lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in hand). I'm working on
>getting everything back under control after a period of problems. I come
>from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31.
>
>I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but it can
>be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.
>
>I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
>database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if anyone's
>interested.
>
>Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
>
>--Sean

Hi Sean

As Robert said, you'll find more of us over at
alt.support.diabetes.

As a separate note, you might also find it valuable to do a
little googling on recent implications of studies on
Avandia. Start he
http://www.endocrinetoday.com/200709/storm.asp

While you do that, these may help a little:

On diet for weight loss:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...ting-plan.html

On diet for control:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...ew-adjust.html

And a small repertoire of basic recipes:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/recipes.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Welcome.

Thank you!

> If you want to exchange messages with more diabetics, you can
> find them on alt.support.diabetes .

I've picked it up. I started to read it, dodging the occasional
flamethrower.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sean Dennis wrote:

> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Low-Cal Chocolate Cake
> Categories: Diabetic, Cakes, Low-fat, Chocolate, Tnt
> Yield: 24 Servings
>
> 1 1/2 c Flour
> 1/8 c Granulated fructose
> 1/4 c Honey
> 2/3 c Unsweetened cocoa
> 1 1/2 ts Baking soda
> 1/2 ts Salt
> 1 c Low fat milk (1%)
> 1/3 c Veg oil
> 3/16 c WonderFree fat substitute
> 1 Egg plus
> 1 Egg white
>
> Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13 X 9" cake pan with non-stick cooking
> spray and flour it. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat
> just until blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45
> minutes. Let cool.
>
> Or make a dozen cupcakes: 20 minutes at 350. [JW]
>
> From the Diabetic Dessert Cookbook Posted 4 you and yours via Nancy
> O'brion and her Meal-Master
>
> And adapted by Roslind Minault to reduce fat and increase the
> chocolate flavor. Re-posted by Jim Weller.
>
> MMMMM
>
> (This is just one out of my collection at random; I haven't actually made
> this.)

Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:54:51 -0000, Sean Dennis
> > wrote:
>
>>Hello!
>>
>>I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to
>>installing a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2
>>diabetic, diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my
>>diabetes and lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in
>>hand). I'm working on getting everything back under control after a
>>period of problems. I come from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't
>>diagnosed until I was 31.
>>
>>I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but
>>it can be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.
>>
>>I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
>>database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if
>>anyone's interested.
>>
>>Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
>>
>>--Sean

Hello!

> As a separate note, you might also find it valuable to do a
> little googling on recent implications of studies on
> Avandia. Start he

Ah, I know all about it. Unfortunately, my care comes from the
Veterans' Administration, where trying to get a competent doctor is like
trying to catch a unicorn. I have a three-month wait until I see my
doctor and even then, they just like to shovel pills at you and get you
out the door. I've raised this concern with my doctor and gotten stone
silence in return. When I see her again sometime in the next month
(hopefully), I'm going to see if I can get switched around on
medications.

If she doesn't respond, I'll "fire" her (meaning, going to my patient
advocate and raising hell to get another doctor and getting to see an
endocrinologist). I have enough problems as it is; don't need my heart
to go at the age of 35.

> While you do that, these may help a little:

Thanks for all the great links. I've put them into my bookmarks. Right
now, I just need to get out and exercise...that will help the most. Due
to my location, it's not very safe to get out and walk, so I'm getting an
exercise bike next week.

That's my big problem is exercise...the diet is doing better, but it's
still being worked on.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
> flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

Sorry about that; I just picked one at random. I do too, actually, and
that might be high, even for me. Didn't look at it too closely. I'm
allergic to milk and I cannot have honey, so yeah, that one's out.

> Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

If you look at the bottom of the recipe, it's from some cookbook, I
gather.

How's this one? I don't know if I could have it due to my restricted
salt intake, but it looks good:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Turkey-Barley Soup
Categories: Diabetic, Soups, Vegetables, Crockpot, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

6 c Turkey or chicken broth;
1 c Turkey; diced cooked
1 c Pearl barley;
1 Onion; chopped
2 Celery; stalks, chopped
3 Carrots; sliced
1 Bay leaf;
1 ts Dry thyme;
1/4 ts Dried marjoram;
1/4 ts Ground black pepper;
2 tb Chop.fresh parsley (2ts.dry)

Combine all the ingredients in soup pot or slow cooker. Cook over
low heat in the slow cooker for 6 hours or simmer on the stove for 1
hour, or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft.

1/6 recipe - 181 calories, 1 lean meat, 1 bread, 2 vegetable
exchanges 30 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 44 mg
sodium, 320 mg potassium, 18 mg cholesterol.

Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov. 93

Long-grain rice has slightly less carbohydrates and calories per cup
than barley if you wish to substitute.

MMMMM

And according to the recipe, it's from an ADA cookbook.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Sean Dennis > wrote:

> > Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
> > flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

> Sorry about that; I just picked one at random. I do too, actually, and
> that might be high, even for me. Didn't look at it too closely. I'm
> allergic to milk and I cannot have honey, so yeah, that one's out.
>
> > Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

> If you look at the bottom of the recipe, it's from some cookbook, I
> gather.
>
> How's this one? I don't know if I could have it due to my restricted
> salt intake, but it looks good:
>
> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Turkey-Barley Soup
> Categories: Diabetic, Soups, Vegetables, Crockpot, Turkey
> Yield: 6 Servings
>
> 6 c Turkey or chicken broth;
> 1 c Turkey; diced cooked
> 1 c Pearl barley;
> 1 Onion; chopped
> 2 Celery; stalks, chopped
> 3 Carrots; sliced
> 1 Bay leaf;
> 1 ts Dry thyme;
> 1/4 ts Dried marjoram;
> 1/4 ts Ground black pepper;
> 2 tb Chop.fresh parsley (2ts.dry)
>
> Combine all the ingredients in soup pot or slow cooker. Cook over
> low heat in the slow cooker for 6 hours or simmer on the stove for 1
> hour, or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft.
>
> 1/6 recipe - 181 calories, 1 lean meat, 1 bread, 2 vegetable
> exchanges 30 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 44 mg
> sodium, 320 mg potassium, 18 mg cholesterol.
>
> Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
> Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov. 93
>
> Long-grain rice has slightly less carbohydrates and calories per cup
> than barley if you wish to substitute.
>
> MMMMM
>
> And according to the recipe, it's from an ADA cookbook.

You'll learn...

I'd use, at most, 1/4 cup of barley, and wouldn't consider using rice at
all. I'd probably use only one carrot, also.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...
> Hello!
>
> I just started picking up this newsgroup (finally got around to installing
> a reader) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Type 2 diabetic,
> diagnosed in 2003. I take Avandia and glipizide for my diabetes and
> lisonopril for my blood pressure (the two go hand in hand). I'm working
> on
> getting everything back under control after a period of problems. I come
> from a family of diabetics, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31.
>
> I'm working on diet and trying to get exercise as much as I can, but it
> can
> be hard when you work overnight and want to sleep all day.
>
> I also love to collect recipes and have a small (about 30,000 or so)
> database in my MealMaster program that I would love to share if anyone's
> interested.
>
> Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things.

Hi and welcome to the group. We can always use new recipes here. You might
also want to visit alt.support.diabetes since there is more traffic there.
Many people will drop a note there that they've posted a new recipe so
others will know to come here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...
>> Welcome.

> Thank you!
>
>> If you want to exchange messages with more diabetics, you can
>> find them on alt.support.diabetes .

> I've picked it up. I started to read it, dodging the occasional
> flamethrower.

You'll want to kill-file a few right away. One being a Dr. He really is a
Dr. Just perhaps a mad Dr. Another being the iron man. I think he means
well, but...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
>> Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
>> flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

> Sorry about that; I just picked one at random. I do too, actually, and
> that might be high, even for me. Didn't look at it too closely. I'm
> allergic to milk and I cannot have honey, so yeah, that one's out.
>
>> Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

> If you look at the bottom of the recipe, it's from some cookbook, I
> gather.
>
> How's this one? I don't know if I could have it due to my restricted
> salt intake, but it looks good:
>
> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Turkey-Barley Soup
> Categories: Diabetic, Soups, Vegetables, Crockpot, Turkey
> Yield: 6 Servings
>
> 6 c Turkey or chicken broth;
> 1 c Turkey; diced cooked
> 1 c Pearl barley;
> 1 Onion; chopped
> 2 Celery; stalks, chopped
> 3 Carrots; sliced
> 1 Bay leaf;
> 1 ts Dry thyme;
> 1/4 ts Dried marjoram;
> 1/4 ts Ground black pepper;
> 2 tb Chop.fresh parsley (2ts.dry)
>
> Combine all the ingredients in soup pot or slow cooker. Cook over
> low heat in the slow cooker for 6 hours or simmer on the stove for 1
> hour, or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft.
>
> 1/6 recipe - 181 calories, 1 lean meat, 1 bread, 2 vegetable
> exchanges 30 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 44 mg
> sodium, 320 mg potassium, 18 mg cholesterol.
>
> Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
> Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov. 93
>
> Long-grain rice has slightly less carbohydrates and calories per cup
> than barley if you wish to substitute.
>
> MMMMM
>
> And according to the recipe, it's from an ADA cookbook.
>
> --Sean

If your potassium intake is not also restricted, you could try it
with most salt substitutes. McCormick, Schilling, and Kroger
are the brands that taste the best to me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:10:55 -0000, Sean Dennis
> wrote:

>> Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
>> flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

>Sorry about that; I just picked one at random. I do too, actually, and
>that might be high, even for me. Didn't look at it too closely. I'm
>allergic to milk and I cannot have honey, so yeah, that one's out.

Sean, I've found that "Diabetic" or "low-fat "recipes tend
to be bloody useless for me.

Take that one for example - it's totally designed for
low-fat, even though it isn't all that low anyway. I did a
quick analysis and this is what came back for each of 24
small serves:

Calories 84__cal
Protein 2__gm
Total Fat 4__gm
Sat. Fat 1__gm
Mono. Fat 1__gm
Poly. Fat 2__gm
Carbohydrate 12__gm
Fiber 1__gm

If made as 12 cupcakes, double all those.

Personally, I reserve my carbs ration for something much
more satisfying and nutritious than that.

>> Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

>If you look at the bottom of the recipe, it's from some cookbook, I
>gather.
>
>How's this one? I don't know if I could have it due to my restricted
>salt intake, but it looks good:
>
>MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Turkey-Barley Soup
> Categories: Diabetic, Soups, Vegetables, Crockpot, Turkey
> Yield: 6 Servings
>
> 6 c Turkey or chicken broth;
> 1 c Turkey; diced cooked
> 1 c Pearl barley;
> 1 Onion; chopped
> 2 Celery; stalks, chopped
> 3 Carrots; sliced
> 1 Bay leaf;
> 1 ts Dry thyme;
> 1/4 ts Dried marjoram;
> 1/4 ts Ground black pepper;
> 2 tb Chop.fresh parsley (2ts.dry)
>
> Combine all the ingredients in soup pot or slow cooker. Cook over
> low heat in the slow cooker for 6 hours or simmer on the stove for 1
> hour, or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft.
>
> 1/6 recipe - 181 calories, 1 lean meat, 1 bread, 2 vegetable
> exchanges 30 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 44 mg
> sodium, 320 mg potassium, 18 mg cholesterol.
>
> Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
> Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov. 93
>
> Long-grain rice has slightly less carbohydrates and calories per cup
> than barley if you wish to substitute.
>
>MMMMM
>
>And according to the recipe, it's from an ADA cookbook.

Actually, that could be a good recipe. I would reduce the
barley to a 1/2 cup or less and add maybe extra onion and
celery. Less starch, more low-starch veges. Sodium would
depend on your own additional seasoning if you make your own
broth or stock, or buy a low sodium version.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sean Dennis wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't use that one. It has too many carbohydrates with the
>> flour, honey, milk and fructose. We watch carbohydrates here.

> Sorry about that; I just picked one at random. I do too, actually, and
> that might be high, even for me. Didn't look at it too closely. I'm
> allergic to milk and I cannot have honey, so yeah, that one's out.
>
>> Just curious: how did this come to be a "Diabetic" recipe?

> If you look at the bottom of the recipe, it's from some cookbook, I
> gather.
>
> How's this one? I don't know if I could have it due to my restricted
> salt intake, but it looks good:
>
> MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Turkey-Barley Soup
> Categories: Diabetic, Soups, Vegetables, Crockpot, Turkey
> Yield: 6 Servings
>
> 6 c Turkey or chicken broth;
> 1 c Turkey; diced cooked
> 1 c Pearl barley;
> 1 Onion; chopped
> 2 Celery; stalks, chopped
> 3 Carrots; sliced
> 1 Bay leaf;
> 1 ts Dry thyme;
> 1/4 ts Dried marjoram;
> 1/4 ts Ground black pepper;
> 2 tb Chop.fresh parsley (2ts.dry)
>
> Combine all the ingredients in soup pot or slow cooker. Cook over
> low heat in the slow cooker for 6 hours or simmer on the stove for 1
> hour, or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft.
>
> 1/6 recipe - 181 calories, 1 lean meat, 1 bread, 2 vegetable
> exchanges 30 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 44 mg
> sodium, 320 mg potassium, 18 mg cholesterol.
>
> Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
> Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov. 93
>
> Long-grain rice has slightly less carbohydrates and calories per cup
> than barley if you wish to substitute.

My DH's body hates rice. Brown, white it doesn't matter, he spikes. I
would make that soup using reduced carb noodles and portion control. I
actually have some home made turkey broth in my freezer at this moment.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> My DH's body hates rice. Brown, white it doesn't matter, he spikes. I
> would make that soup using reduced carb noodles and portion control. I
> actually have some home made turkey broth in my freezer at this moment.

Nearly everything I eat spikes, but my levels come down to normal pretty
quickly. It's the salt I have to be careful with; my BP fluctuates a lot
faster than my glucose levels at times.

But it sounds good nonetheless.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> If your potassium intake is not also restricted, you could try it
> with most salt substitutes. McCormick, Schilling, and Kroger
> are the brands that taste the best to me.

I'm not allowed to have any extra salt or potassium as I seem to get too
much of it as it is. The salt is a lot more trickier to me than the sugar
to control.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> You'll want to kill-file a few right away. One being a Dr. He really
> is a Dr. Just perhaps a mad Dr. Another being the iron man. I think
> he means well, but...

I've warmed up my killfile for a.s.d. already. It'll remain on standby
here.

Thanks for the heads up though.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 03:09:36 -0000, Sean Dennis

Read this: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>And according to the recipe, it's from an ADA cookbook.

Uh, Sean - that's almost a guarantee that it'll be useless for anyone
trying to control carbs.

I went through my MMM cookbook and deleted every obviously high-carb
recipe at dx - and am now regretting it, as I learn to adapt recipes
successfully. But for now, you might be wise to run every recipe you
feel like trying through Fitday or another USDA database to see what
its nutritional breakdown actually is, then test an hour after eating
to see what it does to you. You could note what your readings are
right in the recipe, and know what to do next time you fancied it...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Sean, salt retention is regulated by the adrenals, as is potassium.
> Have you had them evaluated?

Yep. They're working fine. My diet was the problem.

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote in
:

> http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

I've read all of that already...but it's my fasting levels that I really
need to get down. They're still too high for my liking (I'm pretty much
doing the diabetes thing alone; my doctor isn't much help).

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote in
:

> Uh, Sean - that's almost a guarantee that it'll be useless for anyone
> trying to control carbs.

Thanks for the warning.

> I went through my MMM cookbook and deleted every obviously high-carb
> recipe at dx - and am now regretting it, as I learn to adapt recipes
> successfully. But for now, you might be wise to run every recipe you
> feel like trying through Fitday or another USDA database to see what
> its nutritional breakdown actually is, then test an hour after eating
> to see what it does to you. You could note what your readings are
> right in the recipe, and know what to do next time you fancied it...

I am not really cooking much these days. I am mostly just eating once to
twice a day due to my schedule, so generally I make small meals. I'll
take a sandwich with me to work and have a small dinner. I generally
don't have breakfast because I'm too tired and I have to wait an hour
before eating anyhow, so by the time the hour's up, I'm fast asleep.

I'm limited to 16 servings of carbs a day and I doubt I even get more
than 7 (that's counting the bread in the sandwich too).

My wife likes to eat healthy, so we generally do so. My big thing for
me, I've noticed, is my lack of exercise. I'm trying to do a lot more as
I noticed when I was moving (I moved across town a few months ago), my
glucose levels dropped to between 85-90 mg/dL. That's really good for
me. Right now, they're a little higher.

But I will run recipes through those databases you mentioned first to see
what's going on.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

:

>> http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

>I've read all of that already...but it's my fasting levels that I really
>need to get down. They're still too high for my liking (I'm pretty much
>doing the diabetes thing alone; my doctor isn't much help).

Do you have DP? Have you tried a bedtime snack/glass of wine?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Do you have DP? Have you tried a bedtime snack/glass of wine?

I'm not sure what DP is...but I cannot eat before bed. I will get
violently ill if I do (I've always been that way). I don't drink alcohol
at all either.

Generally I eat after I get up. That's when I feel the most like eating.
I'll eat about 10 PM then again at 4 AM (remember, I work overnight).

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:15:17 -0000, Sean Dennis >
wrote:

>I'm limited to 16 servings of carbs a day and I doubt I even get more
>than 7 (that's counting the bread in the sandwich too).

The only limit that counts is what your meter imposes - what's your bg
like an hour after a sandwich?

>My wife likes to eat healthy, so we generally do so. My big thing for
>me, I've noticed, is my lack of exercise. I'm trying to do a lot more

Yeah, it really is important. Apart from general fitness, exercising
after a meal will really bring your bg down.

DP is Dawn Phenomenon - or mid-afternoon phenomenon for night shift
workers : ) It's a glucose dump by your liver that's supposed to help
you face that sabre-toothed tiger in your day... you know you've got
it when your bedtime reading is significantly lower than your waking
one, and the waking one continues to rise until you eat. It's
complicated by shift working, though, because it's also tied in with
your adrenal/cortisol system, which can be altered by shift working.
The cure often involves a bedtime snack of a little bit of carbs and
protein - a couple of PB crackers, for instance - so that there's
still glucose left in your system when your liver does a status check.
Wine is useful because it delays processing of the carbs - but not
essential.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

:

>> http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

>I've read all of that already...but it's my fasting levels that I really
>need to get down. They're still too high for my liking (I'm pretty much
>doing the diabetes thing alone; my doctor isn't much help).

Sean, it's all related. Getting those post-prandial spikes
down will also help with the morning numbers. I say morning,
but I know your times are different. I also used to work
night-shift, but pre-diagnosis. But I do know what it's like
to come home after dawn and rise in the afternoon.

Just shift your body clock. On the pre-breakfast numbers, DP
that Nicky talks about is described he
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm

On a snack before bed, we're talking about a light snack,
not a meal. In my own case that's when I can eat cereal, but
it's three tablespoons of cereal in just enough liquid to
wet it, not a bowl. I'd suggest a few unsalted nuts, or a
chunk of cheese or a stalk of celery dipped in guacamole.
Just something very light.

And please read this again; better still, put it into
practice:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:15:17 -0000, Sean Dennis
> wrote:

>I'm limited to 16 servings of carbs a day and I doubt I even get more
>than 7 (that's counting the bread in the sandwich too).

16x15gms daily is a limit? Wow! Way, way above the carbs I
eat and I don't consider myself a low-carber. I may exceed
your 7 occasionally, but I'm very careful as to how and with
what.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

Thank you for that explanation I have asked my Diabetic Nurse about this a
few times and got a reply which didn't make any sense, now I understand.
Thanks again

RodS

> DP is Dawn Phenomenon - or mid-afternoon phenomenon for night shift
> workers : ) It's a glucose dump by your liver that's supposed to help
> you face that sabre-toothed tiger in your day... you know you've got
> it when your bedtime reading is significantly lower than your waking
> one, and the waking one continues to rise until you eat. It's
> complicated by shift working, though, because it's also tied in with
> your adrenal/cortisol system, which can be altered by shift working.
> The cure often involves a bedtime snack of a little bit of carbs and
> protein - a couple of PB crackers, for instance - so that there's
> still glucose left in your system when your liver does a status check.
> Wine is useful because it delays processing of the carbs - but not
> essential.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote in
:

> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Thanks for the information and the URL. I appreciate it.

The hardest part for me is to get the clock shifted over. I haven't been
feeling good lately (and it's not because of my diabetes), so my BG has
been off a bit.

I think I'm going to go for a walk. Not because of anything in
particular...it just sounds good.

-- Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:15:17 -0000, Sean Dennis >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm limited to 16 servings of carbs a day and I doubt I even get more
>>than 7 (that's counting the bread in the sandwich too).

> The only limit that counts is what your meter imposes - what's your bg
> like an hour after a sandwich?

It's about 175 or so, but does drop fairly quickly.

> Yeah, it really is important. Apart from general fitness, exercising
> after a meal will really bring your bg down.

That's what I'm planning on doing here after a small meal (I just woke up
and it's 7:30 PM; I didn't get to bed until noon though).

> The cure often involves a bedtime snack of a little bit of carbs and
> protein - a couple of PB crackers, for instance - so that there's
> still glucose left in your system when your liver does a status check.
> Wine is useful because it delays processing of the carbs - but not
> essential.

Wow, I learned something new. :P

That would explain a lot! This morning, I had a /small/ bowl of corn
flakes, with a cup of skim milk (I no longer drink any other kind of
milk) and 1/2 packet of Splenda (about 1/2 tsp). I checked my blood
sugar when I got up and it was 274mg/dL, but I think that's partially due
to my being really sick last night at work. I must have either eaten
something I didn't like or had taken my diabetes meds too close together
because I was painfully sick in the tummy all last night.

I'm feeling better today, but not quite the same. I just ate a very tiny
(less than a cup) of a nice chicken cassorole my wife made for me at my
request off the back of a soup can. After that settles, I'll go for a
short walk before dark (you don't want to be out in my neighborhood after
dark!) and see what happens.

Thank you for the information. I've saved that post for future research
and reference.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Thank you for that explanation I have asked my Diabetic Nurse about
> this a few times and got a reply which didn't make any sense, now I
> understand. Thanks again

Heck, I didn't even know it existed...I'd asked all of my doctors about it
and gotten some lame explaination (which was nothing of this caliber) back.

Who says you can't learn new things from the newsgroups? :P

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> 16x15gms daily is a limit? Wow! Way, way above the carbs I
> eat and I don't consider myself a low-carber. I may exceed
> your 7 occasionally, but I'm very careful as to how and with
> what.

No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.

If I can find my book that I have from my class, it explains a little more
and that might explain.

Also, like Nicky has said, DP might have something to do with my weird BG,
but the main thing is the lack of exercise, I know it.

I really don't like to eat too much anymore, especially at work. I get
violently ill if I do. I also have to be extremely careful of what I eat
or else my stomach gets really mad. That really has nothing to do with my
diabetes, but more with the sensitive stomach I inherited.

--Sean

--
Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You do realise that the more often you eat those carby meals and have those
high after meal and fasting bg's that your diabetes will progress, in the
direction you don't want it to. Canned soup, milk (especially skimmed milk)
cereal (particularly the highly processed ones like Cornflakes, 7 carb
exchanges - all are high carb and don't do your body any favours at all.
Your bg might be dropping back at the moment but you are on a sure-fire
track to it getting to the point where it won't.

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...
> Nicky > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:15:17 -0000, Sean Dennis >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm limited to 16 servings of carbs a day and I doubt I even get more
>>>than 7 (that's counting the bread in the sandwich too).

>> The only limit that counts is what your meter imposes - what's your bg
>> like an hour after a sandwich?

> It's about 175 or so, but does drop fairly quickly.
>
>> Yeah, it really is important. Apart from general fitness, exercising
>> after a meal will really bring your bg down.

> That's what I'm planning on doing here after a small meal (I just woke up
> and it's 7:30 PM; I didn't get to bed until noon though).
>
>> The cure often involves a bedtime snack of a little bit of carbs and
>> protein - a couple of PB crackers, for instance - so that there's
>> still glucose left in your system when your liver does a status check.
>> Wine is useful because it delays processing of the carbs - but not
>> essential.

> Wow, I learned something new. :P
>
> That would explain a lot! This morning, I had a /small/ bowl of corn
> flakes, with a cup of skim milk (I no longer drink any other kind of
> milk) and 1/2 packet of Splenda (about 1/2 tsp). I checked my blood
> sugar when I got up and it was 274mg/dL, but I think that's partially due
> to my being really sick last night at work. I must have either eaten
> something I didn't like or had taken my diabetes meds too close together
> because I was painfully sick in the tummy all last night.
>
> I'm feeling better today, but not quite the same. I just ate a very tiny
> (less than a cup) of a nice chicken cassorole my wife made for me at my
> request off the back of a soup can. After that settles, I'll go for a
> short walk before dark (you don't want to be out in my neighborhood after
> dark!) and see what happens.
>
> Thank you for the information. I've saved that post for future research
> and reference.
>
> --Sean
>

> --
> Sean Dennis * * http://outpostbbs.net
> Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
> SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...

>> 16x15gms daily is a limit? Wow! Way, way above the carbs I
>> eat and I don't consider myself a low-carber. I may exceed
>> your 7 occasionally, but I'm very careful as to how and with
>> what.

> No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.
>
> If I can find my book that I have from my class, it explains a little more
> and that might explain.

I think you do need to explain. The typical "diabetic" meal plan given to
newbies would be easily 16 carb serves - 16 x 15 gr carb. Hells' bells your
cornflakes and skim milk was 2-3 serves in one hit. If you were eating 16 gr
carb per day, that would barely cover your lettuce, cucumber, celery etc.

In other words, there would be no bread, cereal, potato, rice, fruit, milk
pasta. Get the picture?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:27:51 -0000, Sean Dennis
> wrote:

>That would explain a lot! This morning, I had a /small/ bowl of corn
>flakes, with a cup of skim milk (I no longer drink any other kind of
>milk) and 1/2 packet of Splenda (about 1/2 tsp). I checked my blood
>sugar when I got up and it was 274mg/dL, but I think that's partially due
>to my being really sick last night at work.

Considering all the carbs in that cereal and milk, adding
sugar instead of Splenda would probably make no difference.
A bit like adding a can of lighter fluid to a blazing petrol
tank.

Try a selection from these tomorrow:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...reakfasts.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:32:15 -0000, Sean Dennis
> wrote:

>No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.

Sorry mate, but you've been misinformed. One "exchange"
serving is 15gms; not that any sane type 2 uses the exchange
system.

There's probably more than one gram in a couple of
individual cornflakes:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
0...

>> 16x15gms daily is a limit? Wow! Way, way above the carbs I
>> eat and I don't consider myself a low-carber. I may exceed
>> your 7 occasionally, but I'm very careful as to how and with
>> what.

> No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.
>
> If I can find my book that I have from my class, it explains a little more
> and that might explain.
>
> Also, like Nicky has said, DP might have something to do with my weird BG,
> but the main thing is the lack of exercise, I know it.
>
> I really don't like to eat too much anymore, especially at work. I get
> violently ill if I do. I also have to be extremely careful of what I eat
> or else my stomach gets really mad. That really has nothing to do with my
> diabetes, but more with the sensitive stomach I inherited.

Or you might have gastroparesis like I do. That's nerve damage to the
stomach caused by diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Sean Dennis" > wrote in message
> 0...
>>
>>> 16x15gms daily is a limit? Wow! Way, way above the carbs I
>>> eat and I don't consider myself a low-carber. I may exceed
>>> your 7 occasionally, but I'm very careful as to how and with
>>> what.

>> No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.
>>
>> If I can find my book that I have from my class, it explains a little
>> more
>> and that might explain.

> I think you do need to explain. The typical "diabetic" meal plan given to
> newbies would be easily 16 carb serves - 16 x 15 gr carb. Hells' bells
> your cornflakes and skim milk was 2-3 serves in one hit. If you were
> eating 16 gr carb per day, that would barely cover your lettuce, cucumber,
> celery etc.
>
> In other words, there would be no bread, cereal, potato, rice, fruit, milk
> pasta. Get the picture?

Yeah. Something doesn't sound right. 1g can't possibly be a serving of
anything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:32:15 -0000, Sean Dennis
> > wrote:
>
>>No, that's 16g a day, Alan. 1g is one serving.

> Sorry mate, but you've been misinformed. One "exchange"
> serving is 15gms; not that any sane type 2 uses the exchange
> system.
>
> There's probably more than one gram in a couple of
> individual cornflakes:-)

I use the Exchange system and I know I'm not alone. That doesn't mean I eat
15 servings of carbs per day or even necessarily one whole serving. The
system does allow for 1/2 a serving, 1/4 a serving etc. Please explain why
no sane type 2 would use it? Or perhaps you just don't understand it?