Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fresh turnip salad

I grew up eating most veges and disliking many as a kid. As I got older I
learned to enjoy them for taste and texture.

One can use a Chayote for a similar recipe.

I always use the sugar substitute ( ie. Splenda etc ) now for my
(diabetic ) relatives.

I have relatives with these issues: Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High
Cholesterol, weight issues.

So I try to make recipes for all to enjoy.

Hope you enjoy this.

Starting vacation tomorrow, I will gladly post more healthy diabetic
friendly recipes when I return.

I do not know if fennel is a low on the glycemic index. But I can post a
fresh fennel slaw when I return. It's really tasty!

My Mom's Fresh Turnip Salad

1 pkg ( 22 oz. ) purple and white turnips
4 Tbs. white vinegar
4 Tbs. salad oil
Sugar substitute to equal 1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
salt and fresh grated black pepper
1 Tbs. fresh sweet onion grated

My mother always made the best salads out of veggies most kids disliked. We
loved this one especially with poultry meals but it goes well with other
foods too. It has a refreshing sweet and sour flavor.

Wash and dry turnips. Cut off both ends with knife. Leave unpeeled. Grate or
shred turnips by hand ( julienne hand grater works well ) or in food
processor. Place into medium size salad bowl. Add remaining ingredients and
mix well with fork. Chill well before
serving. Yield: 6 to 8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
> I grew up eating most veges and disliking many as a kid. As I got older I
> learned to enjoy them for taste and texture.
>
> One can use a Chayote for a similar recipe.
>
> I always use the sugar substitute ( ie. Splenda etc ) now for my
> (diabetic ) relatives.
>
> I have relatives with these issues: Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High
> Cholesterol, weight issues.
>
> So I try to make recipes for all to enjoy.
>
> Hope you enjoy this.
>
> Starting vacation tomorrow, I will gladly post more healthy diabetic
> friendly recipes when I return.
>
> I do not know if fennel is a low on the glycemic index. But I can post a
> fresh fennel slaw when I return. It's really tasty!
>

> My Mom's Fresh Turnip Salad
>

> 1 pkg ( 22 oz. ) purple and white turnips
> 4 Tbs. white vinegar
> 4 Tbs. salad oil
> Sugar substitute to equal 1/4 cup sugar
> 2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
> salt and fresh grated black pepper
> 1 Tbs. fresh sweet onion grated
>
> My mother always made the best salads out of veggies most kids disliked. We
> loved this one especially with poultry meals but it goes well with other
> foods too. It has a refreshing sweet and sour flavor.
>
> Wash and dry turnips. Cut off both ends with knife. Leave unpeeled. Grate or
> shred turnips by hand ( julienne hand grater works well ) or in food
> processor. Place into medium size salad bowl. Add remaining ingredients and
> mix well with fork. Chill well before
> serving. Yield: 6 to 8

My mom made a similar salad. She also used black radish the same way.
Delicious. Thanks for reminding me. I'll make it.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge" > wrote in
message news:HEmAi.4213$XV2.1429@trndny09...
>I grew up eating most veges and disliking many as a kid. As I got older I
> learned to enjoy them for taste and texture.
>
> One can use a Chayote for a similar recipe.

<snip>

I'll have to try that.

I don't buy Chayote often. Keep forgetting to. Buy it about once a year
and make it with cinnamon like I would apples.

Taylor Fresh salad kit Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 2 23-12-2007 01:31 AM
Salad bag for keeping lettuce fresh Dee Dee General Cooking 16 17-10-2007 05:41 AM
Fresh Fruit Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-06-2005 11:32 PM
Fresh Broccoli Salad 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2004 02:18 PM
Turnip Greens and Turnip Roots From the Deep South a la Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:08 AM