Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Traveling

DH and I are traveling in New England in our car. Having sold the motor
home, this is pretty new to us. The hardest thing has been finding some
kind of lunch that is not carb-laden. We have to take a cooler with us
for the insulin and we either get a motel room with a micro-fridge or
have the front desk freeze our cold packs for us. We carry nuttition
drinks with us that have less than 12 grams of carbs and chug them for
lunch when we don't want to stop. It's a good idea to have at least one
little can of juice in the cooler in case of a low. I always carry his
glucometer and some glucose tabs.

The other day we stopped at a Wendy's where we had delicious salads.
The dressings were low in carbs (though kinda high in fat and
chemicals)and the salads we chose had almost none. They make huge
salads that are very filling and don't contain croutons.

I just thought I'd pass this along to anyone else who will be on
vacation and might be wondering about lunch on the road.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH and I are traveling in New England in our car. Having sold the motor
> home, this is pretty new to us. The hardest thing has been finding some
> kind of lunch that is not carb-laden. We have to take a cooler with us
> for the insulin and we either get a motel room with a micro-fridge or have
> the front desk freeze our cold packs for us. We carry nuttition drinks
> with us that have less than 12 grams of carbs and chug them for lunch when
> we don't want to stop. It's a good idea to have at least one little can
> of juice in the cooler in case of a low. I always carry his glucometer and
> some glucose tabs.
>
> The other day we stopped at a Wendy's where we had delicious salads. The
> dressings were low in carbs (though kinda high in fat and chemicals)and
> the salads we chose had almost none. They make huge salads that are very
> filling and don't contain croutons.
>
> I just thought I'd pass this along to anyone else who will be on vacation
> and might be wondering about lunch on the road.

Daughter and I just ate at Wendy's the other day. I was impressed with the
salad. Not so much with the other foods, although the chili was fairly low
in carbs.

One thing I found during our cross country moves was that cheese and nuts
are pretty much available anywhere. Not that I can eat cheese now. And
more and more quick food marts are carrying fresh salads or raw vegetables.

I remember staying in one place (can't remember the state now) that was near
a Walmart. I took the van and went wild in there. I know people say they
don't have the best produce, but I was so starved for fresh veggies aside
from the typical iceberg lettuce salad. They didn't have much in the way of
prepared stuff so I just bought whatever looked good and cut it up back in
our room with the little paring knife I travel with. Was also able to get
fresh fruit for my daughter, although that seems to be more readily
available. At least apples and bananas are.

Another thing I like to do is travel with small portions of things. I can
get some of these things here.

http://www.minimus.biz/

I had a lot more options prior to learning of our food allergies. I just
ordered some single serve almond butter to send in with Angela's school
lunch as well as some little packs of jam and jelly. They used to have diet
jelly but not at the moment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:13:19 -0400, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>DH and I are traveling in New England in our car. Having sold the motor
>home, this is pretty new to us. The hardest thing has been finding some
>kind of lunch that is not carb-laden. We have to take a cooler with us
>for the insulin and we either get a motel room with a micro-fridge or
>have the front desk freeze our cold packs for us. We carry nuttition
>drinks with us that have less than 12 grams of carbs and chug them for
>lunch when we don't want to stop. It's a good idea to have at least one
>little can of juice in the cooler in case of a low. I always carry his
>glucometer and some glucose tabs.
>
>The other day we stopped at a Wendy's where we had delicious salads.
>The dressings were low in carbs (though kinda high in fat and
>chemicals)and the salads we chose had almost none. They make huge
>salads that are very filling and don't contain croutons.
>
>I just thought I'd pass this along to anyone else who will be on
>vacation and might be wondering about lunch on the road.

All good tips, many of which I do myself although I don't
use insulin.

As you are travelling as a twosome, have you considered
sharing main courses at lunch? I do that often while
travelling with my non-diabetic wife. Usually we just ask
for an extra plate and cutlery, but if that is a problem she
orders a main and I order a green salad then we share
between the plates.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
latest: Self-Testing and Type 2 Management
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> As you are travelling as a twosome, have you considered
> sharing main courses at lunch? I do that often while
> travelling with my non-diabetic wife. Usually we just ask
> for an extra plate and cutlery, but if that is a problem she
> orders a main and I order a green salad then we share
> between the plates.

We don't generally do lunch but when we do, we each do salad. We have
shared dinner plates, however. We usually ask if we can substitute a
second side of veggies for the potatoes. Most of the time they can do it.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

traveling with cheesecakes bre903 Baking 1 11-01-2006 08:39 PM
The problem with traveling The Bubbo General Cooking 25 08-01-2006 05:30 PM
Traveling Vineyard [email protected] Wine 0 12-11-2005 10:21 PM
traveling to italy winemonger Wine 15 15-05-2004 09:06 AM
Traveling with Beer Mohawk Brewing Beer 5 16-10-2003 03:51 PM