Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Emily's Goulash

This is a recipe I made a few nights ago for dinner. It was really
tasty, and unless you use some really starchy veggies, it is quite blood
sugar friendly. So, I thought I'd share it here. It's also a great way
to use up any extra veggies you have around.

Emily's Goulash (also known as had some things to use up he he).

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 red pepper
1/2 orange pepper
1 green pepper (you can use any combination of pepper colors you like,
I just had these that were not so great to be eaten fresh, but would be
used up well in this dish, a total of two peppers (medium sized) works well)
1/3 Large vidalia onion (any white/yellow onion will do, I just had this
one)
1 22oz can petite diced tomatoes (again, whatever the largest can of
tomatoes is works, you can dice a can of stewed tomatoes, use a larger
dice, if you've got a can with onions or garlic or whatever in it, it
should work too, this is just what I used)
as much garlic as you like (I didn't have much left, but I used it all,
I like garlic)
1 1/2 cups shredded/grated cheddar cheese (I like sharp, you can use
whatever strength you like, you can use low-fat, no-fat, full fat
whatever works for you)

Brown ground beef in a large skillet (if you have an electric one it
would work great)
Dice onion and add onion and garlic to beef as it's browning
Coarse Dice the peppers and add after beef is browned
Add tomatoes, and rinse the can into the skillet with about 1/3 cup water
stir until mixed well, and simmer for 15-20 minutes (however long you
need to do the cleanup, or another task, it's forgiving, but go at least
15minutes)
Stir in cheese
Add salt and pepper to taste.

This serves about 4-6 depending on what sides etc. you do. It can be
eaten plain, or over rice or noodles or potatoes(yeah right, some here
could maybe do that...)or over spaghetti squash. If you are feeling
really indulgent, you can top it off with more shredded cheese and/or
sour cream when you serve it. You can also use whatever other veggies
you have that need to be used up. Have a tomato about to go? dice it and
throw it in. Need to use up some eggplant or celery or something else?
dice it and throw it in. It's a great way to use all that zuchinni we
get from anyone who grows it in the summer. (add when you add the
peppers and tomato). I almost always have ground beef in the freezer,
and a can of diced tomatoes on hand as well, so if I realize in the
morning I've bought more veggies than I can eat before they go bad, I'll
take the beef out to thaw, and make this for dinner. I then package the
left-overs in single serving packs and I have ready made lunches for
work, or dinners for busy days. I can freeze them, and just grab and go
as I need. Works nicely, and tastes pretty good too! By using lean and
low fat options, this is quite healthy.

Emily

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Similar to how I make it, I use eggplant and Italian herbs for that Italian
taste

Instead of starches for the sides I use a variety of steamed veggies like
cauliflower, broccoli, beans etc. Bit of sweet potato if one's bg's can
handle it.