Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: PB&J Hummus

This recipe improves the nutrition profile of the classic PB&J
sandwich. It's kid, mom, and diabetic friendly which about as friendly
as my recipes get.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

PB and J Hummus

This is a kid-friendly way to improve the nutrition of a classic
sandwich. That makes it parent-friendly as well.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Chickpeas
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Kid Friendly, No Cook,
Simple - Easy, Snacks, Sandwiches, Breakfast, Bread

-= Ingredients =-
3/4 cup Chickpeas, canned ; - about 1/2 a can
1/4 cup Peanut butter ; - Reduced fat version is best
1/4 cup Apple juice ; - unsweetened
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon ; - ground
1/2 teaspoon Splenda ; - to taste
1/4 cup Fruit Spread, sugar free ; I had raspberry on hand
2 rounds low Carb Pita bread

-= Instructions =-
Rinse and drain the chickpeas then drop them in a blender. Add peanut
butter, cinnamon and Splenda. Blend briefly then add apple juice while
blending to a smooth, slightly runny, consistency. Scrape out into a
bowl.

Place 2 Tbs of fruit spread on 1/2 of the surface of the bowl and stir
briefly. You're not mixing two together so much as bringing a swirl of
fruit through the hummus. Repeat with the remaining 2 Tbs of fruit
spread. For an interesting visual effect try two different flavors
(colors) of fruit spread and place them in a pattern before swirling.

Lightly toast (actually just warm) the pita bread and cut rounds into
1/8ths. Serve with hummus.

Each (2 wedges pita w/ 2 tbs hummus) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 116, FatCals: 37, TotFat: 4g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 247mg, K: 149mg
TotCarbs: 14g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 10g, Protein: 6g

Adapted from: Cooking Up Fun for Kids With Diabetes

** Recipe, with photo, at: www.bigoven.com/recipe163459 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

------
Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
Houston, TX, USA
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:44:09 -0500, Pete Romfh
> wrote:

>This recipe improves the nutrition profile of the classic PB&J
>sandwich. It's kid, mom, and diabetic friendly which about as friendly
>as my recipes get.

Neat idea, Pete - thanks! For some reason, my teens have decided that
all fruit is uncool - I'm looking for sneaky ideas

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:26:27 +0100, Nicky >
wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:44:09 -0500, Pete Romfh
> wrote:
>
>>This recipe improves the nutrition profile of the classic PB&J
>>sandwich. It's kid, mom, and diabetic friendly which about as friendly
>>as my recipes get.

>Neat idea, Pete - thanks! For some reason, my teens have decided that
>all fruit is uncool - I'm looking for sneaky ideas
>
>Nicky.

Take a look at www.thesneakychef.com it's aimed at getting nutrition
into younger kids (and selling Missy's book) but the ideas are sound.

------
Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
Houston, TX, USA
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:26:27 +0100, Nicky >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:44:09 -0500, Pete Romfh
> wrote:
>>
>>>This recipe improves the nutrition profile of the classic PB&J
>>>sandwich. It's kid, mom, and diabetic friendly which about as friendly
>>>as my recipes get.

>>Neat idea, Pete - thanks! For some reason, my teens have decided that
>>all fruit is uncool - I'm looking for sneaky ideas
>>
>>Nicky.

> Take a look at www.thesneakychef.com it's aimed at getting nutrition
> into younger kids (and selling Missy's book) but the ideas are sound.

Wow! I'm not sure about some of that. The white puree sounds just awful.
I can't stand the taste of cooked cauliflower. I think if my mom had put
that in my mac and cheese, I would never trust her again. Actually she once
served me liver and told me it was steak. I wouldn't eat steak after that.

I do manage to sneak some veggies into our food though. I've found it's
very easy to do with most sauces and gravies and the trick is to puree it so
they don't notice any chunks of stuff in there. Kids are often skeeved out
by chunks of vegetables.

I guess I'm lucky. My daughter eats vegetables pretty well for a kid. I
always liked most of them myself. But I never liked fruit so I'm not a
fruit pusher. She does eat apples and pears. Sometimes grapes or berries,
and melon and she has recently started liking kiwi. She loves fruit salad.

Prior to learning of her food allergies, a favorite meal or snack was a
whole wheat tortilla spread with peanut butter and jelly and rolled around a
banana. It was quick and portable. Too bad the only thing she's not
allergic to in there is the jelly. These days she's on a jelly sandwich
kick. Loves gluten free rice bread with nothing but jelly on it.

Years ago, I used to make a fruit pizza. Not necessarily diabetic friendly,
but kid friendly. The base was sugar cookie dough. I've seen other similar
recipes that use a bread dough or regular pizza dough that has been
sweetened with a bit of sugar or honey.

Bake the crust until lightly browned, then top it with cream cheese. You
can sweeten the cream cheese if you want by adding a bit of jam or jelly to
it. Top with all sorts of cut up fresh fruit like berries and drizzle with
a glaze of thinned down jam or jelly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:44:09 -0500, Pete Romfh
> > wrote:
>
>>This recipe improves the nutrition profile of the classic PB&J
>>sandwich. It's kid, mom, and diabetic friendly which about as friendly
>>as my recipes get.

> Neat idea, Pete - thanks! For some reason, my teens have decided that
> all fruit is uncool - I'm looking for sneaky ideas

That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything in
the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce and
tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on icecream or
just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in everything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:07:14 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
>news
>> Neat idea, Pete - thanks! For some reason, my teens have decided that
>> all fruit is uncool - I'm looking for sneaky ideas

>That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything in
>the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce and
>tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on icecream or
>just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in everything.

They're actually quite fond of veggies - except mushrooms, for some
reason - but I'd like to get the occasional bit of fruit down them
too!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything in
> the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce and
> tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on ice cream or
> just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in everything.

What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
so I need to learn the lingo.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:36:14 -0400, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Ozgirl wrote:
>

>> That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything in
>> the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce and
>> tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on ice cream or
>> just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in everything.
>>

>What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>so I need to learn the lingo.

Sausages.

See if this helps:
http://www.angelescity.com/aussie_slang.html
(some of those are archaic, but many still in use)

And this will help your pronunciation:
http://digest.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

You will need to say the words slurred and fast:-)

I had MNX for brekky t'day.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
latest: Self-Testing and Type 2 Management
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>> so I need to learn the lingo.

> Sausages.

Far be it from me to chuck a bluey to a true blue, but having enjoyed a
snag sanger or two on my visits to the Lucky Country, may I respectfully
suggest a reassessment of the above explanation?

Jim
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"J.C. Hartmann" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>

>>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>>> so I need to learn the lingo.

>> Sausages.
>>

> Far be it from me to chuck a bluey to a true blue, but having enjoyed a
> snag sanger or two on my visits to the Lucky Country, may I respectfully
> suggest a reassessment of the above explanation?

Lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>

>> That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything
>> in the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce
>> and tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on ice
>> cream or just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in
>> everything.

> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October so
> I need to learn the lingo.

You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a sarnie.
We are weird people.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:05:58 -0500, "J.C. Hartmann"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>

>>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>>> so I need to learn the lingo.

>> Sausages.
>>

>Far be it from me to chuck a bluey to a true blue, but having enjoyed a
>snag sanger or two on my visits to the Lucky Country, may I respectfully
>suggest a reassessment of the above explanation?
>
>Jim

Aaarghh! Speed reading should not be done in Strine:-)

Sandwiches of course...mea culpa

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
latest: Self-Testing and Type 2 Management
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:36:14 -0400, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>>> That's a shame, fruit is my kids' veggies! I find it hard to get anything in
>>> the veggie line down their throat other than potato or some lettuce and
>>> tomatoes on sangers. They love tropical fruit, canned fruit on ice cream or
>>> just by itself. Pineapple in stir fry.. I try to put tomatoes in everything.
>>>

>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>> so I need to learn the lingo.

> Sausages.
>
> See if this helps:
> http://www.angelescity.com/aussie_slang.html
> (some of those are archaic, but many still in use)
>
> And this will help your pronunciation:
> http://digest.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt
>
> You will need to say the words slurred and fast:-)
>
> I had MNX for brekky t'day.

Thanks, Alan. I intend to study the first one. The second one is too
deep for me. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October so
>> I need to learn the lingo.

> You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a sarnie.
> We are weird people.

Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular
cooking show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular cooking
> show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

More and more people are calling it a sammich but I think they're just
imitating her.

I remember when we first moved to this area, 40some years ago, we were
confused by some of the lingo. People spoke differently than they did in
the midwest. Example, we said divan and here they said couch, sofa,
davenport or daveno.

So when the neighbor invited my little brother for lunch, he came home in
tears. Why? When she told him what she was serving, he thought she said
"sand witch".

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>>> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>>> so I need to learn the lingo.

>> You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a
>> sarnie. We are weird people.

> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular cooking
> show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

I say both parts of the word as one,my mother always broke the two words
apart, it sounded odd Sand Witch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>> You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a
>>> sarnie. We are weird people.

>> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular cooking
>> show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

> I say both parts of the word as one,my mother always broke the two words
> apart, it sounded odd Sand Witch.

Years ago I was in a sports store looking for a sand wedge for my
husband. It's a golf club, for those that don't know.

When I asked for help, the clerk asked me if the store looked like a
restaurant.
My next stop was the manager.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>>> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular
>>> cooking show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be
>>> cute.

>> I say both parts of the word as one,my mother always broke the two words
>> apart, it sounded odd Sand Witch.

> Years ago I was in a sports store looking for a sand wedge for my husband.
> It's a golf club, for those that don't know.
>
> When I asked for help, the clerk asked me if the store looked like a
> restaurant.
> My next stop was the manager.

Lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Ozgirl wrote:
> > "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> >> What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October so
> >> I need to learn the lingo.

> > You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a sarnie.
> > We are weird people.

> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular
> cooking show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

I think "sammich" may be regional or slang.

When I was in college in Maine, there was an enterprising guy who came
around the dorms about 10:00 (well, 10:00 my floor of my dorm) every
week night with a hamper of sandwiches and cold drinks. He announced
his presence by shouting down the corridor, "Sammy Man!" and that's how
we knew him. He had a pretty steep markup on those fairly slim sammies,
but some nights that thin layer of tuna-flavored mayo on Wonderbread
with one slim slice of iceberg lettuce tasted *so* good. Dinner was
from 4:45 to 6:00, and that left a long time until bedtime.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>> You and others, lol. It's a sandwich. In England I believe it is a sarnie.
>>> We are weird people.

>> Most of us "Yanks" call it a sandwich. One gal who does a popular
>> cooking show calls it a "sammich" but I think she's just trying to be cute.

> I think "sammich" may be regional or slang.
>
> When I was in college in Maine, there was an enterprising guy who came
> around the dorms about 10:00 (well, 10:00 my floor of my dorm) every
> week night with a hamper of sandwiches and cold drinks. He announced
> his presence by shouting down the corridor, "Sammy Man!" and that's how
> we knew him. He had a pretty steep markup on those fairly slim sammies,
> but some nights that thin layer of tuna-flavored mayo on Wonderbread
> with one slim slice of iceberg lettuce tasted *so* good. Dinner was
> from 4:45 to 6:00, and that left a long time until bedtime.
>
> Priscilla

You may be right. The TV gal is from Rhode Island, IIRC. She uses the
term "sammy", too.

Down where I live in Mexico, Texas, they mostly eat stuff wrapped in
tortillas and call them "tacos" No hard shells. I think one has to go
to a national chain to find a sandwich, like a Denny's or Applebees.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message

> Years ago I was in a sports store looking for a sand wedge for my husband.
> It's a golf club, for those that don't know.
>
> When I asked for help, the clerk asked me if the store looked like a
> restaurant.
> My next stop was the manager.

Yikes! I worked at a golf course and I do know what it is.

In fact the golf pro got quite a kick out of me when I was taking lessons.
One day the other students were running late so he decided to take me and
the other guy who was there and show us how to get out of the sand traps.
The two of us spent about an hour doing nothing but hitting from the trap.
I got very good at it. But do you think I could land in the trap when
playing golf? Noooooo.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > a écrit ...
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:36:14 -0400, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>

>>What are sangers? We are going to Australia and New Zealand in October
>>so I need to learn the lingo.

> Sausages.
>
> See if this helps:
> http://www.angelescity.com/aussie_slang.html
> (some of those are archaic, but many still in use)
>
> And this will help your pronunciation:
> http://digest.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt
>
> You will need to say the words slurred and fast:-)
>
> I had MNX for brekky t'day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWMcRlE1mQ

!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:
> 1/4 cup Peanut butter ; - Reduced fat version is best

I accidentally bought a jar of reduced fat "peanut spread" and it's been
on my shelf for months as it didn't sound appetizing to me. It was the
last jar left yesterday, and I looked at it and noticed it said "60%
peanuts" on the front. I wondered what the heck the other 40% was...
even Jif and Skippy are primarily peanuts!

The main ingredient list is peanuts, corn syrup solids, soy protein,
sugar. In the 2% or less category, there's: salt, molasses,
hydrogenated vegetable oils, magensium oxide, ferric phosphate, zinc
oxide, niacinamide, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride and folic acid.

So the other 40% has some vegetable protein but is mostly sugar, with
some minimal amount of trans fat, vitamins and minerals added.

This stuff comes in at 15g carb per 2 TB serving as opposed to 6g in
regular peanut butter or 5g in the natural stuff; that's pretty
significant to me as I'm unlikely to eat only 2 TB of peanut butter as a
serving anyways, a quarter jar is more likely!

The label says it's only 12g fat per serving as opposed to 16g in
regular peanut butter. I expect I could accomplish a similar fat
reduction just by pouring the oil off of the natural stuff.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jackie Patti" > wrote in message
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> 1/4 cup Peanut butter ; - Reduced fat version is best

> I accidentally bought a jar of reduced fat "peanut spread" and it's been
> on my shelf for months as it didn't sound appetizing to me. It was the
> last jar left yesterday, and I looked at it and noticed it said "60%
> peanuts" on the front. I wondered what the heck the other 40% was... even
> Jif and Skippy are primarily peanuts!
>
> The main ingredient list is peanuts, corn syrup solids, soy protein,
> sugar. In the 2% or less category, there's: salt, molasses, hydrogenated
> vegetable oils, magensium oxide, ferric phosphate, zinc oxide,
> niacinamide, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride and folic acid.
>
> So the other 40% has some vegetable protein but is mostly sugar, with some
> minimal amount of trans fat, vitamins and minerals added.
>
> This stuff comes in at 15g carb per 2 TB serving as opposed to 6g in
> regular peanut butter or 5g in the natural stuff; that's pretty
> significant to me as I'm unlikely to eat only 2 TB of peanut butter as a
> serving anyways, a quarter jar is more likely!
>
> The label says it's only 12g fat per serving as opposed to 16g in regular
> peanut butter. I expect I could accomplish a similar fat reduction just
> by pouring the oil off of the natural stuff.

How nasty. I buy the 100% peanut stuff with no additives or preservatives
and pour off most of the oil. It's a bit hard to spread this way, but it
still works. I also buy the Adams No Stir. I prefer the Adams brand
because there is no chance of cross contamination with it. I have an almond
allergy.

Hummus Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 54 11-06-2011 12:22 AM
hummus elaine General Cooking 12 06-07-2006 11:25 AM
Hummus International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 27-02-2006 01:49 AM
What is Hummus? James A. Finley Vegetarian cooking 1 20-10-2003 12:54 AM