Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tamale casserole

I've been craving tamales and given my food allergies and their carbiness, I
wasn't sure I could have them. Then I remembered canned tamales. Not the
best taste-wise, but of the Hormel brand, two of them have 15 g of carbs and
there was nothing we were allergic to. So I decided to make them into a
casserole. I put one layer of them into a shallow baking dish, including
the sauce they come in. I then topped them with a huge mess of white onions
and green peppers cut in strips, a can of corn, two cans of kidney beans and
a can of chopped tomatoes. I made a huge pan of it. Should be enough for
two meals at least. I know, I know. I always wind up making too much.
Heh! I then baked till heated through and tossed on a can of black olives.
Yummy, yum, yum and daughter loves them too! Cheese would be good on these
if you're not allergic.

When I dished mine up, I took less of the tamales and more of the non
starchy vegetables. Makes a good, cheap, quick and tasty meal!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've been having a tamale desire lately too. If you're near a Trader
Joe's grocery, you can buy two individual frozen tamales in their corn
husks without sauce, which broadens your choice of ways to cook them.
They come with chicken, cheese, or beef fillings. Each tamale is 240
calories and 27 carbs. They are larger than the Hormel canned ones
mentioned below. I cook half a one for breakfast with a scrambeled egg
for a Mexican food flavored breakfast with no more calories/carbs than a
slice of low-carb bread or half a crousant. A great way to start the
day! This makes a great lunch too!

Barbara

Julie Bove wrote:

>I've been craving tamales and given my food allergies and their carbiness, I
>wasn't sure I could have them. Then I remembered canned tamales. Not the
>best taste-wise, but of the Hormel brand, two of them have 15 g of carbs and
>there was nothing we were allergic to. So I decided to make them into a
>casserole. I put one layer of them into a shallow baking dish, including
>the sauce they come in. I then topped them with a huge mess of white onions
>and green peppers cut in strips, a can of corn, two cans of kidney beans and
>a can of chopped tomatoes. I made a huge pan of it. Should be enough for
>two meals at least. I know, I know. I always wind up making too much.
>Heh! I then baked till heated through and tossed on a can of black olives.
>Yummy, yum, yum and daughter loves them too! Cheese would be good on these
>if you're not allergic.
>
>When I dished mine up, I took less of the tamales and more of the non
>starchy vegetables. Makes a good, cheap, quick and tasty meal!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BJPruett" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I've been having a tamale desire lately too. If you're near a Trader
> Joe's grocery, you can buy two individual frozen tamales in their corn
> husks without sauce, which broadens your choice of ways to cook them. They
> come with chicken, cheese, or beef fillings. Each tamale is 240 calories
> and 27 carbs. They are larger than the Hormel canned ones mentioned below.
> I cook half a one for breakfast with a scrambeled egg for a Mexican food
> flavored breakfast with no more calories/carbs than a slice of low-carb
> bread or half a crousant. A great way to start the day! This makes a
> great lunch too!

The problem is our food allergies. We can't have cheese, eggs or soybean
oil. Not sure if those have soybean oil in them or not but most of the made
up ones do. I will look there next time I go there. I can get plenty of
freshly made ones at various stores around here. It's just that they always
seem to have something I'm allergic to.