Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Stuffed artichoke salad

This is a great low carb lunch or dinner. My husband makes the stuffed
artichokes, he just dumps things in and tastes it, I tried to guess
the proportions but they might need adjusting to taste.

Terry's Stuffed Artichokes

Artichokes:
4 medium artichokes
1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon gallic powder
2 tablespoons EV olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Stuffing:
1 can sardines in olive oil
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (use less for lower carb)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons EV olive oil

Prepare artichokes, wash and drain them. Cut stems off flush with
bottom of artichoke so they can stand up flat. Cut off the top
straight across, about 1 inch. Trim and peel the stem.

Put artichokes in a steamer (or pressure cooker). Squeeze lemon juice
evenly over chokes. throw lemon skin in steamer. Drizzle olive oil
over chokes, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Steam until
outer leaves are tender, flesh can be easily scraped off with the
upper teeth, about 45 minutes or more. When chokes are done, lift them
out and put in a oven proof baking pan. With a fork and spoon, remove
the rough middle small leaves. If possible remove the hairy part just
above the heart. You can eat the stems with salt and pepper, we do, or
you can chop them and add to the stuffing. If using less bread crumbs
it would be better to use them in the stuffing.

Put sardines, oil and all, in a medium bowl. Mash the sardines with a
fork to a paste. Add bread crumbs and other stuffing ingredients and
mix well. Taste for more salt and pepper.

Stuff 1/4 of stuffing in each artichoke. Drizzle chokes with more EV
olive oil. Cover loosely with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for
about 20 minutes. Remove and bake 10 more minute to slightly brown
stuffing. They are about 25 carbs each with a full cup of crumbs.

You can just eat them that way but I like put them in the middle of a
salad. You'll need large low bowls. I use the pre-washed herb salad
that comes in the plastic boxes. Spread the salad over the bottom, top
with Italian dressing and put the artichoke in the middle. Provide a
bowl to discard the used leaves.

We made 4 of them for lunch today, there were 3 of us. It was almost a
fight to see who got the forth one, so we shared. LOL

Andrea2