Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default built in coffee machines

Hi, We are designing a new kitchen and I would like to include a built
in coffee machine but as it is quite expensive I would like to know if
they are as good as they look?
I have aproached a couple of retailers for information without much
luck, would the machine have to be switched on and the water kept hot
all day or does the water heat up instantly when required? Are there
any makes or models anyone would recommend? Any advice on whether to
buy one or not would be appreciated.
Thanks Jenny

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"self builder" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi, We are designing a new kitchen and I would like to include a built
> in coffee machine but as it is quite expensive I would like to know if
> they are as good as they look?
> I have aproached a couple of retailers for information without much
> luck, would the machine have to be switched on and the water kept hot
> all day or does the water heat up instantly when required? Are there
> any makes or models anyone would recommend? Any advice on whether to
> buy one or not would be appreciated.
> Thanks Jenny

My in-laws have a built-in Miele unit that's probably 5 years old. It's
pretty and convenient, and makes a decent cup of espresso. It heats up very
quickly, although I think there is a difference between "standby" mode and
"off" that affects heating time. Every so often it has to be descaled in a
process that is somewhat annoying and requires over-priced de-scaling
tablets; I'm afraid I don't know the details as to frequency. Their water is
very hard, so it may be less of an issue depending on your location.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment

self builder wrote:
> Any advice on whether to
> buy one or not would be appreciated.

I would not get one. You are always going to have issues with the
plumbing as the unit ages, particularly with narrow hot water feeds and
scale issues in the reservoir.

The very best coffee pot I've had so far has been a vacuum pot. It
fully immerses the ground beans in about 200-205 F. water. You cannot
beat that. Modern ones are made of glass which isn't particlarly
durable. If you are patient you can get a very good stainless unit on
Ebay. The best were made by a company called Nicro, which was later
bought by Cory. Here is a link.

http://search.ebay.com/nicro_Coffee-...QQsof ocusZbs

There's nothing worthwhile for sale now. But if you watch for a while
you'll be rewarded. Expect to pay around $40. So they are cheap. The
price is no reflection on the quality of coffee they will brew. The
risk is in the rubber seal. You must explicitly get the seller to
confirm a pliable, flexible seal.

If you have it in your mind to get a machine, take a look he

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

Good folks. Good prices. No relationship other than I buy green coffee
there.