Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Grapefruit sectioner

Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as
I can use at a time.

Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring
knife and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and
ending up with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a
very messy counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an
easier way!

At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.

A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.

thanks in advance!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 28 Mar 2006 08:22:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it TG?

> Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
> nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as
> I can use at a time.
>
> Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring
> knife and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and
> ending up with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a
> very messy counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an
> easier way!
>
> At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
> they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
> assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.
>
> A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
> sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
> better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.

I've tried several different implements, but I keep going back to a
serrated, curved grapefruit knife that my parents bought in 1938.

Funny, I've also tried several newer serrated grapefruit knives, but they
didn't work as well as the old one. The serrations are very fine and the
blade is quite flexible.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I use a flexible curved grapefruit knife - does a great job every time.
It's very sharp, which helps. I've seen some shockers on the market since I
bought mine about 15 years ago so get a reliable brand.

"TG" > wrote in message news:excWf.16261$%H.15713@clgrps13...
> Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
> nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as I
> can use at a time.
>
> Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring knife
> and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and ending up
> with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a very messy
> counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an easier way!
>
> At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
> they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
> assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.
>
> A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
> sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
> better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.
>

> thanks in advance!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Viviane wrote:
> I use a flexible curved grapefruit knife - does a great job every time.
> It's very sharp, which helps. I've seen some shockers on the market since I
> bought mine about 15 years ago so get a reliable brand.

Thanks -

I usually just use a regular old serrated steak knife, and cut only
between the sections, not around the rind, then I use a serrated
triangular shaped spoon to scoop out the sections. Works pretty good,
but I thought there HAS to be some gadget out there that does a better
job! The sections in the restaurant buffets are obviously done with
something other than a knife & spoon, I'd just like to know what it is..

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:22:50 GMT, TG > wrote:

>Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
>nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as
>I can use at a time.
>
>Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring
>knife and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and
>ending up with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a
>very messy counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an
>easier way!
>
>At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
>they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
>assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.
>
>A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
>sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
>better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.
>

>thanks in advance!

If you want full sections peel the grapefruit and the cut the sections
with a knife. Slide the knife along the membrane.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 28 Mar 2006 08:22:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it TG?
>

>>Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
>>nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as
>>I can use at a time.
>>
>>Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring
>>knife and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and
>>ending up with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a
>>very messy counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an
>>easier way!
>>
>>At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
>>they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
>>assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.
>>
>>A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
>>sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
>>better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.

> I've tried several different implements, but I keep going back to a
> serrated, curved grapefruit knife that my parents bought in 1938.
>
> Funny, I've also tried several newer serrated grapefruit knives, but they
> didn't work as well as the old one. The serrations are very fine and the
> blade is quite flexible.

I bet the tool is called "sysco" or something like it.

http://www.sysco.com/products/produc...ctID=14&ptID=1

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed 29 Mar 2006 08:27:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Del Cecchi?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 28 Mar 2006 08:22:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it TG?
>>

>>>Recently our local store has had very good deals on my favorite fruit,
>>>nice juicy pink grapefruit at 5/1.00 so I have been grabbing as many as
>>>I can use at a time.
>>>
>>>Usually I'll set aside some time and section them all with a paring
>>>knife and serrated grapefruit spoon, keeping them all in a bowl and
>>>ending up with a glass or two of deilicious juice in the process,(and a
>>>very messy counter top) but I keep thinking that there has to be an
>>>easier way!
>>>
>>>At a hotel I stay at sometimes there is a weekend breakfast buffet, and
>>>they always have a big bowl of orange and grapefruit sections, so I am
>>>assuming they have a specialized tool to do this with.
>>>
>>>A quick google this morning showed a couple of different types of
>>>sectioners, but I thought I'd check on this board on which ones worked
>>>better than others etc.. or what anybodys personal favorites were.

>> I've tried several different implements, but I keep going back to a
>> serrated, curved grapefruit knife that my parents bought in 1938.
>>
>> Funny, I've also tried several newer serrated grapefruit knives, but

they
>> didn't work as well as the old one. The serrations are very fine and

the
>> blade is quite flexible.
>>

> I bet the tool is called "sysco" or something like it.
>
> http://www.sysco.com/products/produc...ctID=14&ptID=1

Very funny!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.equipment

This is a tool I sell and have personally tested. It does work
surprisingly well for getting the segments out of halved grapefruits.

http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...p?ITEM_ID=1157

Chef Dom.
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

Grapefruit. 8 Stefan[_2_] Baking 0 19-08-2009 01:19 PM
Grapefruit. 1 werwiniskp General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 05:55 PM
Grapefruit.22 werwiniskp General Cooking 0 20-03-2009 03:53 PM
Grapefruit.2 dkeroeko Beer 0 18-03-2009 02:01 PM
Grapefruit [email protected] General Cooking 6 03-07-2006 12:19 PM