jmk

Default Foodsaver opinions wanted

I am interested in getting a vacuum food sealer. What prompted me to
want this is a recent fishing trip where we came back with over a dozen
filleted fish (and the subsequent need to store them). I am most liking
going for one of the Tilia FoodSaver models but which one?

I've been doing some research but I'm still pretty confused about all of
the FoodSaver models. I was looking at the FS800 and it seems that
maybe I'd be better off with a 900 or higher due to hands free
operation. Then I did some additional research and I was not sure if
the 900 or the 1200 would be better? The 900 has the roll storage, the
1200 has 3-level control and extended vacuum but no roll storage. It
says something about "foodsaver center" but I was not sure what that
referred to? Right now I am leaning towards the 900 but the 1200 was
pretty cute... I just think that having the roll storage might be a
good thing? Thoughts?

- Is 3-level control something that I will want?
- Is built-in roll storage something that I will want? Is the Store 'N
Cut Roll Cutter fine for this?
- What is foodsaver center?
- Is the extened vacuum something that I will want?

Thanks again for all of your help!
--
jmk in NC
Steve Calvin

jmk wrote:
> I am interested in getting a vacuum food sealer. What prompted me to
> want this is a recent fishing trip where we came back with over a dozen
> filleted fish (and the subsequent need to store them). I am most liking
> going for one of the Tilia FoodSaver models but which one?
>
> I've been doing some research but I'm still pretty confused about all of
> the FoodSaver models. I was looking at the FS800 and it seems that
> maybe I'd be better off with a 900 or higher due to hands free
> operation. Then I did some additional research and I was not sure if
> the 900 or the 1200 would be better? The 900 has the roll storage, the
> 1200 has 3-level control and extended vacuum but no roll storage. It
> says something about "foodsaver center" but I was not sure what that
> referred to? Right now I am leaning towards the 900 but the 1200 was
> pretty cute... I just think that having the roll storage might be a
> good thing? Thoughts?
>
> - Is 3-level control something that I will want?
> - Is built-in roll storage something that I will want? Is the Store 'N
> Cut Roll Cutter fine for this?
> - What is foodsaver center?
> - Is the extened vacuum something that I will want?
>
> Thanks again for all of your help!

I have an older model so I can't address all of your questions but...
First off, you won't be sorry that you purchased it. The only thing that
ticked me off was that I waited so long. ;-)

The foodsaver center is a separate unit that the main unit sits in. The
one that I have holds two rolls of bag material and a razor cutter. Well
worth it IMO.

THe model that I have does not have the hands off operation and wish
that it did.

--
Steve

Jane

I have the Tilia 1075 which is sold at Costco. It includes the
Foodsaver Center, which is a separate piece that holds the rolls. You
can make your own bags from the roll. I love my Foodsaver. When I
first purchased it I put it on a shelf, but have since moved it to a
cupboard that I can easily reach, since I use it several times/week. I
am not sure what the 3 level control is. Mine has 2 levels, but I
rarely use #2. Mine has hands-off control (just push a button), but it
seals so quickly that I am not sure having to hold down the button for
15 or 20 seconds would be an inconvenience. Somewhere in Yahoo Groups
there is a Foodsaver Group. People get really passionate about these
things. You might want to check there about the pros and cons of
different models.

As others have said, my only regret is that I did not buy it sooner.

jmk > wrote in message >...
> I am interested in getting a vacuum food sealer. What prompted me to
> want this is a recent fishing trip where we came back with over a dozen
> filleted fish (and the subsequent need to store them). I am most liking
> going for one of the Tilia FoodSaver models but which one?
>
> I've been doing some research but I'm still pretty confused about all of
> the FoodSaver models. I was looking at the FS800 and it seems that
> maybe I'd be better off with a 900 or higher due to hands free
> operation. Then I did some additional research and I was not sure if
> the 900 or the 1200 would be better? The 900 has the roll storage, the
> 1200 has 3-level control and extended vacuum but no roll storage. It
> says something about "foodsaver center" but I was not sure what that
> referred to? Right now I am leaning towards the 900 but the 1200 was
> pretty cute... I just think that having the roll storage might be a
> good thing? Thoughts?
>
> - Is 3-level control something that I will want?
> - Is built-in roll storage something that I will want? Is the Store 'N
> Cut Roll Cutter fine for this?
> - What is foodsaver center?
> - Is the extened vacuum something that I will want?
>
> Thanks again for all of your help!

jmk

Thanks for the info. This weekend I purchaseda 1050 from BJs ($99 after
$20 "instant rebate"). Woo hoo!