scyld

Default Chef's knives weight?

After much research and agonizing after I lost my chef knife, I bought a
Messermeister Meridian Elite 10".

Alas, I am terribly disappointed at its light weight. Undoubtedly it is a
fine
knife but it just feels like a lightweight stamped POS. Yes I know it is
forged
not stamped -- I bought it for that reason and because it was so highly
rated by
so many people. But my old knife was a real heavyweight & I loved it!

So I am still looking for a knife. If there were a place around here where
I could
go look at knives, I would have already done so, but there is not, so I have
been doing all my research on the net.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me the weight of the following knives that are
comparable to mine (i.e. 10", forged, riveted handles, high carbon
stainless)?:
- F. Dick
- Wusthof
- Henckels (I know, sintered, not forged grom a single blank)
- Any others I should know about?

TIA,
shield

Louis Cohen

I don't have numbers, but the F. Dick knives I have tried have always been
the heaviest. Nice, very solid feel.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"scyld" > wrote in message
. com...
> After much research and agonizing after I lost my chef knife, I bought a
> Messermeister Meridian Elite 10".
>
> Alas, I am terribly disappointed at its light weight. Undoubtedly it is a
> fine
> knife but it just feels like a lightweight stamped POS. Yes I know it is
> forged
> not stamped -- I bought it for that reason and because it was so highly
> rated by
> so many people. But my old knife was a real heavyweight & I loved it!
>
> So I am still looking for a knife. If there were a place around here

where
> I could
> go look at knives, I would have already done so, but there is not, so I

have
> been doing all my research on the net.
>
> QUESTION: Can anyone tell me the weight of the following knives that are
> comparable to mine (i.e. 10", forged, riveted handles, high carbon
> stainless)?:
> - F. Dick
> - Wusthof
> - Henckels (I know, sintered, not forged grom a single blank)
> - Any others I should know about?
>
> TIA,
> shield

scyld

Thanks, Louis! After some research, Dick was my first choice,
but I shied away because of the bolster running all the way down
to the heel. Thought it would be a PITA to sharpen, is why I got
the 'meister.

Had I gone with the humor potential (dick knife)... I might be OK
right now.

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> I don't have numbers, but the F. Dick knives I have tried have always been
> the heaviest. Nice, very solid feel.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "scyld" > wrote in message
> . com...

Steve B

Wusthof makes a line of extra wide blades which, because of the extra
width, are heavier than any standard knife.

Steve

--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications

Steve B

scyld wrote:

> Had I gone with the humor potential (dick knife)... I might be OK
> right now.

I know what you mean. Thanks to the French clothing manufacturer by the
same name, I not only have Dick but Pussy on my website. See
http://www.ameritech.net/users/internet/france5.htm

Steve