Notty Pine

Default Fridge/freezer replacement

"Andy Hall" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:49:54 -0000, "Notty Pine" >
> wrote:
> >>

> >Well something is seriously wrong with your testing, or your
> >equipment, because most thermostats have about a 5 degree C

difference
> >between on and off, making a less than 1 degree difference

impossible
> >to achieve.
> >

> No it isn't. I know perfectly well how to do a temperature test,
> thanks.
>
> This particular freezer has microprocessor based control and
> insulation to meet the highest energy saving rating.
>
> The hysteresis of the thermostat is a great deal less than 5 degrees
> as it reasonably can be given the design and class of insultation.

I am still not convinced about your results. If a thermostat was set
to less than a 1 degree C difference, between on and off, as you
implied with your test results, then the freezer compressor would be
constantly switching on and off, which would cost a fortune to run as
compressors use a high starting current.

Rob S

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:50:16 -0000, "Neil Jones" >
wrote:

-
-"Rob S" > wrote in message

-> -The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.
->
-> Should have got a Mandela one.
->
-> -Rob
-> robatwork at mail dot com
-
-Que?
-

Is that LOL in some strange tongue?

Anyway thanks for putting him straight, although I can't help thinking the joke
has lost a tiny bit in the process.

Now let's start a thread on Candy appliances. I've got a great joke for that.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Rob S

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:43:10 +0000, Andy Hall > wrote:

-The hysteresis of the thermostat is a great deal less than 5 degrees
-as it reasonably can be given the design and class of insultation.

Thanks! That's the best typo I've seen in ages.

I can stand down the Candy joke now.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:25:53 -0000, "Notty Pine" >
wrote:

>I am still not convinced about your results. If a thermostat was set
>to less than a 1 degree C difference, between on and off, as you
>implied with your test results, then the freezer compressor would be
>constantly switching on and off, which would cost a fortune to run as
>compressors use a high starting current.

No it wouldn't. The rate of temperature change inside when the
compressor is not running is determined by the effectiveness of the
insulation and by the ambient temperature.

I am referring to an A+ efficiency graded appliance and much of that
capability is as a result of insulation and of close control.

It is therefore quite reasonable for it to have a small hysteresis
because this will not result in rapid switching on and off.

The results are the results. I'm sorry if they don't fit in with
your preconceived ideas and older technology.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:10:47 +0000, Rob S
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:43:10 +0000, Andy Hall > wrote:
>
>-The hysteresis of the thermostat is a great deal less than 5 degrees
>-as it reasonably can be given the design and class of insultation.
>
>Thanks! That's the best typo I've seen in ages.

I try to drop them in occasionally to see if people are awake.

In the last week I've done a number that have gone unnoticed...... :-)

>I can stand down the Candy joke now.

Go, on, don't disappoint.

>-Rob
>robatwork at mail dot com

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:32:02 -0000, "CMS Tom"
> wrote:

>> Rubbish. The freezer compartment in the top of a fridge (if it has
>> one) may run at around zero degrees. In a freezer, the normal
>> operating temperature is in the -18 to -23 range.
>>

>My freezer operates at -5 to -10 range. I think it's on the way out. I put
>a chicken in there about a month ago, took it out last weekend, defrosted
>it, started cooking it and immediately it began to warm up I could smell
>rotton meat! Not nice. Thinking it may need just to be regassing, however,
>the thing is only 4 years old (Hotpoint).

The big mistake was buying something from Hotpoint in the first place.

It's likely to be an escape of refrigerant or more likely the
compressor on the way out. If the compressor is changed, then it
has to be regassed anyway.

> Is it worth it or should I
>consider buying a new one. How much is it to regas a fridge/freezer.

I suspect that the largest cost would be the call out. I would be
surprised if the overall cost were under £100.

>The
>fridge part seems fine, although that also struggled last year in the very
>hot weather. The f/f did get moved around quite a bit last year when we did
>the kitchen out.

Then it's possible that the oil was displaced and the compressor ran
inadequately lubricated. That would tend to explain declining
performance. Manufacturers do suggest leaving refrigeration
equipment for 24hrs after significant movement before running.

I find that messing around with domestic appliances that are
unreliable just isn't worth the time and trouble. Many years ago, I
adopted a policy of only buying good quality products with good
service backup that hopefully will never be required.

Hence for laundry equipment I've used Miele, for refrigeration
Liebherr and so on. The initial investment is more, but I've found
it more than worthwhile.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:22:28 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
> wrote:

>> Then you measured the temperature wrong. Please explain how going
>> from -20 to -19 can remove frost. And, IIRC, freezers are designed to
>> operate at about 0 degrees, not -20 ( I assume you mean f).

>No. Freezers should be nominally at around -18C. We don't use Fahrenheit in
>this country, unless you listen to Radio 2.

ROTFL. :-)

... or buy things from Saga.....

>The frost free doesn't heat the food compartment to above freezing. That can
>stay at -18C. It just runs hot through the evaporator to remove water. Some
>older designs didn't have the fan/separate evaporator, so did warm the food
>compartment significantly during the defrost cycle. My parents had one like
>this about 20 years ago.
>
>Christian.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Viviane

We have an Amana side by side and it's very quiet and reliable. As well as
the iceman in it (the story we tell our young daughter) we just hear the
motor cutting in and out - not surprising with an appliance that size,
particularly during a hot Australian summer.

Viviane

"DawnK" > wrote in message

> "Christian McArdle" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > > My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against
> > > frost-free machines?

> > Buy one with 2 compressors, or at least a single compressor twin

> thermostat
> > model. Frost free is a real convenience, but ask to hear the machine in
> > operation. Some (but not all) designs are horrendously noisy.
> >
> > Christian.
> >

> My fridge is a frost-free Amana (freezer on top) and I hardly ever notice

it
> running. The only noise I hear is occasionally from the ice-maker.
> Although, my freezer is too crammed with stuff for the icemaker to

function
> properly at the moment. The 12 yo Whirlpool it replaced, made enough

noise
> that you could hear it ALL over the house! LOL! So, I think anything is
> quieter than the fridge that was wearing out!
>
> Dawn

Pinot Grigio

"P and H Macguire" > wrote in message
> Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
> suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're

replacing
> it.
>
> My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
> machines?
>
> Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market
> makes are worth the difference?

I bought a Bosch frost-free fridge/freezer last year and am very pleased
with it. Definitely would not go back to one that you have to defrost.
It digitally displays the temperatures of both the fridge and the freezer
which incidentally never change from -18 and 04. I'm sure they should rise
when the doors are open. If the freezer door is left open, it beeps at you
to let you know.

It is basically very quiet, but makes a few funny noises now and again but
they are not annoying.

The biggest problem I found when choosing a new fridge/freezer was getting
both comparments to the size I wanted. So I ended up with a 6ft tall model.
The door shelves are not too bad when you compare them with other makes and
are reasonably well made. It comes with a few extras like a hanging bottle
rack which I instantly took out.

One thing I have really noticed is how much better it stores salad items.
My old f/f they did not keep well. In this f/f lettuce stays crisp for more
than a week.

In this thread, disappearing ice-cubes was mentioned. I just replace them
every couple of weeks if they haven't been used. I haven't tried it, but
have thought they could probably be transferred to a bag and sealed.

Anyway I have no regrets on my decision, and would definitely recommend a
Bosch.