Sheellah

Default Surprising All-Clad Knockoff

I know the K-Mart Martha Stewart tri-ply had been mentioned as a source of clad
cookware, but this K-Mart Tramontina tri-ply is almost a direct knockoff of
All-Clad. I was surprised how close it is. Even the handles are similar in
shape, as well as the shapes of the cookware. The set is $119.99 through
Catalog City.

http://www.kmart.com/product/index.j...ductId=1346116

Does anyone have any info on this line, or know if there are open stock pieces
available in this? ?
Kyle Tucker

In article >,
(Sheellah) writes:

http://www.kmart.com/product/index.j...ductId=1346116

> Does anyone have any info on this line, or know if there are open stock pieces
> available in this? ?

I've seen pieces of this line in TJ Maxx and Home Goods. It's not
completely evident in the web photo, but the handles are an odd
oval shape (rounded underneath AND on top) that I didn't like the
feel of in my hands. The pans themselves seemed very nice, but I
couldn't get passed the handles. YMMV, of course.

--
- Kyle
Remsleep

<kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker)> wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Sheellah) writes:

http://www.kmart.com/product/index.j...ductId=1346116

> > Does anyone have any info on this line, or know if there are open stock

pieces
> > available in this? ?

> I've seen pieces of this line in TJ Maxx and Home Goods. It's not
> completely evident in the web photo, but the handles are an odd
> oval shape (rounded underneath AND on top) that I didn't like the
> feel of in my hands. The pans themselves seemed very nice, but I
> couldn't get passed the handles. YMMV, of course.

I have a 10" omelet pan that I picked up at Marshall's for $20. I like the
performance of it better than my AC frying pan. Yes, the handles look
strange, but they work perfectly well. If Big K is now stocking them, then
I might have to make a visit there one of these days.

Remsleep

Karen

(Sheellah) wrote in message >...
> I know the K-Mart Martha Stewart tri-ply had been mentioned as a source of clad
> cookware, but this K-Mart Tramontina tri-ply is almost a direct knockoff of
> All-Clad. I was surprised how close it is. Even the handles are similar in
> shape, as well as the shapes of the cookware. The set is $119.99 through
> Catalog City.

http://www.kmart.com/product/index.j...ductId=1346116

> Does anyone have any info on this line, or know if there are open stock pieces
> available in this? ?

This past summer TJ Maxx and Marshall's both had a huge selection of
Tramontina tri-ply pieces. I loved the fact that they looked like
All-Clad, had a much better handle IMO (I personally can't stand the
All-Clad handles. I find them terribly uncomfortable.) AND they are
more than half the price of All-Clad. I simply couldn't resist. I
systematically replaced all but one piece of my Costco Kirkland
Tri-Ply set and added a couple more pieces that didn't come with the
Kirkland set. It's not that the Kirkland set doesn't perform well; it
does. But, after having the Kirkland set for a while I realized I
liked the streamlined look of the non-lipped cookware better. I must
be suffering from All-Clad envy.

I have only had a chance to use a couple of the Tramontina saucepans
a few times. Shortly after buying them my husband and I started a
kitchen remodel (my stove is still in my dining room). At any rate,
the times I have used the Tramontina it has performed very well. I
was using a smooth top electric but will be switching to gas (thank
God!). I figure if it performed well on a smooth top, it should
perform well with gas. We'll see. Once my new kitchen is done and
I've had a chance to use more of the pieces, and use them on a gas
stove, I'll post a follow-up. In closing, my advice is: Get thee to a
TJ Maxx or Marshall's and pick up a piece or two (or three, or ten)!
I don't think you will be disappointed.

P.S. If an induction cooktop is in your future, the Tramontina
tri-ply is not magnetic and will not work.
cynthia mason

KMart has Martha Stewart everyday stainless 7 pc. cookware for $49.99.
I looked at it and it has strange handles but great bottoms. A large
fry pan, 2 sauce pans and a stock pot with three stainless lids. No
Teflon which could be a plus after the program on it possibly being
dangerous.

Edwin Pawlowski

"cynthia mason" > wrote in message
> KMart has Martha Stewart everyday stainless 7 pc. cookware for $49.99.
> I looked at it and it has strange handles but great bottoms.

IIRC, the "everyday" line has an open tubular handle that is difficult to
clean. The Tri_ply has a solid handle that is heat resistant. The pans are
3 ply and more efficient to cook in. Take a look at them.