Frank Lynch

Default Christmas lists?

What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)

Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Charles Demas

In article >,
Frank Lynch > wrote:
>What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>
>I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
>fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>
>Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

No.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Kate Dicey

Frank Lynch wrote:

> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>
> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>
> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

No idea what a mezzaluna is, so can't help you! we are thinking of
getting a bread maker as this year's 'Granddad toy' fo my FIL. For
myself, I want no kitchen stuff this year, and am in the process of
acquiring a fifth sewing machine...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Debbie Deutsch

Frank Lynch > wrote in
:

> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>
> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>
> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

I have some foodie friends to whom I always give kitchen items. Over the
years, they seem to have especially enjoyed

- a subscription to Cooks' Illustrated (they are both engineers by
training)
- some extra heavy aluminum cookie sheets from Bridge Kitchenware in NY
(they do have a website...)
- a Tilia Foodsaver vacuum sealer
- a remote temperature sensor thingy (he likes to barbecue and smoke
things; now he can putter around the house and not have to go outside to
check and lose temperature and smoke to boot)

This year I am giving them a heavy-duty Chicago Metallic half-pan and
quarter-pan, a silicon kitchen mit (kinda looks like the business end of
Jaws the shark), and a food mill (anyone have any recommendations?). The
half-pan and quarter pan are because I have them and they are wonderful
(and my friends have been making do without something like that). The
silicon kitchen mit is because I have one and it is wonderful and very
useful (especially when handling hot oil or boiling water, which might soak
through a regular mit) and you can get very silly with it (think Jaws
puppet show). The food mill is because a little birdie told me it would be
appreciated.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

Well, Santa, a 20 quart Hobart mixer would do nicely.

TIA,
Dave

Karen Wheless

> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

I'd really like an excellent pepper grinder - maybe one of those Unicorn
Magnum ones.

If you want a dutch oven, you could always drop hints about the Le
Creuset outlet sale (which is usually in December sometime). I got my
Dutch Oven there for a very reasonable price - over half off the list
price.

Karen

Vox Humana

"Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
. 97.132...
> Frank Lynch > wrote in
> :
>
> > What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
> >
> > I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> > fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
> >
> > Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?
> >
> > Frank Lynch
> > The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> > http://www.samueljohnson.com/

> I have some foodie friends to whom I always give kitchen items. Over the
> years, they seem to have especially enjoyed
>
> - a subscription to Cooks' Illustrated (they are both engineers by
> training)
> - some extra heavy aluminum cookie sheets from Bridge Kitchenware in NY
> (they do have a website...)
> - a Tilia Foodsaver vacuum sealer
> - a remote temperature sensor thingy (he likes to barbecue and smoke
> things; now he can putter around the house and not have to go outside to
> check and lose temperature and smoke to boot)
>
> This year I am giving them a heavy-duty Chicago Metallic half-pan and
> quarter-pan, a silicon kitchen mit (kinda looks like the business end of
> Jaws the shark), and a food mill (anyone have any recommendations?).

I have the Martha Stewart food mill from K Mart. It came with three SS
disks and is obviously a Moulinex food mill made for MS. The Moulinex model
had tinned steel disk which I don't think are worth the money. It only cost
about $20. You can get any number of SS mills, but the are over-kill for my
purposes and cost $75 and up.

Debbie Deutsch

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> I have the Martha Stewart food mill from K Mart. It came with three
> SS disks and is obviously a Moulinex food mill made for MS. The
> Moulinex model had tinned steel disk which I don't think are worth the
> money. It only cost about $20. You can get any number of SS mills,
> but the are over-kill for my purposes and cost $75 and up.

Thanks for the info, Vox.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
Frank Lynch

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:49:47 +0000, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, Kate Dicey >
wrote:

>Frank Lynch wrote:
>>
>> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>>
>> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
>> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>>
>> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

>No idea what a mezzaluna is, so can't help you! we are thinking of
>getting a bread maker as this year's 'Granddad toy' fo my FIL. For
>myself, I want no kitchen stuff this year, and am in the process of
>acquiring a fifth sewing machine...

A mezzaluna is a curved knife with handles at both ends, often called
a "half moon." You can see a variety at Bridge's web site:
http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/res...eria=mezzaluna

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Frank Lynch

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:12:36 -0600, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, Debbie Deutsch > wrote:

>I have some foodie friends to whom I always give kitchen items. Over the
>years, they seem to have especially enjoyed
>
>- a subscription to Cooks' Illustrated (they are both engineers by
>training)
>- some extra heavy aluminum cookie sheets from Bridge Kitchenware in NY
>(they do have a website...)
>- a Tilia Foodsaver vacuum sealer
>- a remote temperature sensor thingy (he likes to barbecue and smoke
>things; now he can putter around the house and not have to go outside to
>check and lose temperature and smoke to boot)
>
>This year I am giving them a heavy-duty Chicago Metallic half-pan and
>quarter-pan, a silicon kitchen mit (kinda looks like the business end of
>Jaws the shark), and a food mill (anyone have any recommendations?). The
>half-pan and quarter pan are because I have them and they are wonderful
>(and my friends have been making do without something like that). The
>silicon kitchen mit is because I have one and it is wonderful and very
>useful (especially when handling hot oil or boiling water, which might soak
>through a regular mit) and you can get very silly with it (think Jaws
>puppet show). The food mill is because a little birdie told me it would be
>appreciated.

Food mills are a great idea -- I used mine just the other night on a
can of plum tomatoes.

I've never heard of "half pans" and "quarter pans" before -- to the
uninitiated, it sounds like a corner taken out of a sauce pan, which
must be difficlt to stir! :-)

The silicon mit sounds intriguing!

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Debbie Deutsch

Frank Lynch > wrote in
:

> Food mills are a great idea -- I used mine just the other night on a
> can of plum tomatoes.

I am told that my friend wanted a food mill after doing something with
tomatoes... or was it berries???

> I've never heard of "half pans" and "quarter pans" before -- to the
> uninitiated, it sounds like a corner taken out of a sauce pan, which
> must be difficlt to stir! :-)

Well, I misspoke a bit. I really meant to say half sheet and quarter
sheet pans. These look like jelly-roll pans - rectangular, sides less
than an inch high, rolled rims. There are regular pans too. They are
several inches deep. The terminology comes from the food service
industry. The regular pans are shaped to fit on steam tables. The sheet
pans are used for baking, to put under items that need to drain, etc. and
just to carry things. Behind the scenes you may see tall wheeled racks
sized to fit many layers of full sheet pans, one above the other. Very
useful items. The non-stick sheet pans that I mentioned are great for
baking chicken or other items where you want a crisp crust but need rims
on the pan to catch juices. Another use might be under a pie that you
know may ooze during baking. (And then there is the annual Thanksgiving
ritual of trying to pour the pumpkin goo into the pie crust that you have
placed on the oven rack because you know that if you try to carry the
brimming full crust to the oven, you will slop the filling everywhere. A
sheet pan under the pie pan could be a good bit of insurance, no matter
if you fill the crust before or after placing the pie in the oven.)

Sheet pans definitely seem to be a thing of the professional kitchen.
They are always available at kitchen supply stores - and pretty
inexpensive too. Sometimes you see them at Costco. I was very surprised
when the really heavy nonstick ones showed up one day at Kitchen Etc.
The only other time I have seen them even mentioned in a consumer setting
was when I was fondling a Bluestar range at an appliance showroom. There
was some signage bragging that it could accomodate a full sheet pan.
Cool.

A full sheet pan is rather large for everyday cooking at home. Half
sheet pans are very useful (about the size of a cookie sheet) and quarter
sheet pans may be even more so.

> The silicon mit sounds intriguing!

It's very useful and a gas. It is very hard to resist doing a hand-
puppet act when I use it. There are ridges on the surface between the
palm of the glove and its thumb. From the side it looks like teeth.
Giggle. I think I have seen Alton Brown use the silicon mit on an
episode or two of Good Eats. Perhaps you watch that show and have seen
the mit there.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
and when it is found by spammers.
DawnK

"Frank Lynch" > wrote in message
> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>
> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>
> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Maybe a new slicer shredder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, since
something broke on my first one! (I don't remember what anymore.) Even
though it was a bit of a nuisance cleaning it after shredding carrots, it
sure was nice for shredding the carrots. I miss it sometimes. In fact,
until I saw this thread, I had quite forgotten that I didn't have one.

Or possibly a clay pot for cooking in.
http://www.thewhitewhale.com/cook2.htm

Or maybe a gift certificate to Cook's Corner (about 30 miles north of where
I live), so I could pick my own thing out!
http://www.cookscorner.com

Dawn

Viviane

I love my mezzaluna - I chopped some mint with it last night to make mint
sauce. It was much easier than using the herb mill.

I always get my subscription to Australian Gourmet & Travel renewed as an
Xmas present - the great thing is it lasts all year.

If you've got all the cookware you need, how about asking for a hamper -
that way you'll get some lovely treats you wouldn't normally buy for
yourself. We sent one to a friend who moved house on the day she moved -
that was dinner for the very grateful recipient!

Viviane

"Frank Lynch" > wrote in message
> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
>
> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
>
> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

---

Kate Dicey

Frank Lynch wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:49:47 +0000, in a clarity of expression
> resembling Cicero, Kate Dicey >
> wrote:
>
> >Frank Lynch wrote:
> >>
> >> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?
> >>
> >> I'm absolutely full on pots on pans (and although a nice dutch oven or
> >> fish kettle would be an asset, they're too pricy to really mention...)
> >>
> >> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

> >No idea what a mezzaluna is, so can't help you! we are thinking of
> >getting a bread maker as this year's 'Granddad toy' fo my FIL. For
> >myself, I want no kitchen stuff this year, and am in the process of
> >acquiring a fifth sewing machine...

> A mezzaluna is a curved knife with handles at both ends, often called
> a "half moon." You can see a variety at Bridge's web site:
> http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/res...eria=mezzaluna
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Oh, a herb chopping thing! No, I have no use for one of those - if I'm
doing that many herbs I pop them in the mini bowl of the Magimix!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Frank Lynch

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:14 +1100, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, "Viviane" > wrote:

>If you've got all the cookware you need, how about asking for a hamper -
>that way you'll get some lovely treats you wouldn't normally buy for
>yourself. We sent one to a friend who moved house on the day she moved -
>that was dinner for the very grateful recipient!

Good idea -- we've often thought of assempling food baskets with
regional items like tupelo honey or Tiger Sauce -- not that I live in
the Southern US any longer, but that these items aren't on many
people's radar screens.

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Kate Dicey

Frank Lynch wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:14 +1100, in a clarity of expression
> resembling Cicero, "Viviane" > wrote:
>
> >If you've got all the cookware you need, how about asking for a hamper -
> >that way you'll get some lovely treats you wouldn't normally buy for
> >yourself. We sent one to a friend who moved house on the day she moved -
> >that was dinner for the very grateful recipient!

> Good idea -- we've often thought of assempling food baskets with
> regional items like tupelo honey or Tiger Sauce -- not that I live in
> the Southern US any longer, but that these items aren't on many
> people's radar screens.
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

I do Christmas Hampers for the family. Typically, each contains:

Jar of home made mincemeat
Jar of home made Rhumptoft
Bottle of home made sloe gin
7" home made Chocolate Christmas Cake
7" home made Black Bun
Home made Christmas pudding
Home made Scots shortbread
Home made stollen

I fill up the boxes with jars of home made jam, marmalade and crab apple
jelly. Sometimes I add local Kent honey and a bottle or two of our
locaL (very alcoholic) cider. The same place (Pawley Farm) also does
single variety apple juice, which is good. 12 bottle whisky or sherry
cases make good boxes for this, and hold most of the goodies. They are
not too big to wrap up with Christmas paper, for a really Christmassy
look.

Most of the recipes are on my web site - look in Kate's World for the
Cooking section.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Blanche Nonken

Frank Lynch > wrote:

> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

Well, it's cheap. Cheap-ish, anyway. I've got one, and hardly ever use
it - but once or twice a year it comes in handy. On the whole, it's a
waste of drawer space. Maybe I should sell you mine. :-)

I'd like my 30+ year old K5A serviced; we took it partly apart and
couldn't figure out how to get in for greasing the gears. I didn't
think it would be that hard to do.

Barring that, I think I'd like some better storage space in my kitchen.
Not more, but better. I'm pretty full-up on bakeware, cookware, etc. A
dedicated pantry would be awesome.
Blanche Nonken

Baldy Cotton > wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

> Well, Santa, a 20 quart Hobart mixer would do nicely.

OK, that's something I didn't think of. I'd settle for the 16, but a 20
would just rock!
Blanche Nonken

"DawnK" > wrote:

> Or possibly a clay pot for cooking in.
> http://www.thewhitewhale.com/cook2.htm

I cheated. I went to our local gardening store, bought a large
non-holed unglazed clay pot, and a dish (one size up) to use as a lid.
Holds a 3 to 5 pound chicken very nicely, and was only about $15 for the
set!
John LaBella

Default Christmas lists? - KA Service

Blanche there is a wonderful note on Alt.bread.recipes about how to take
apart your KA & service it ... Under the Dough Mixer thread ... author
Barry.

--
The posting email address is not read or received
to contact me email me chefUnderscorejohn at the dash office dash party dot
"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> Frank Lynch > wrote:
>
> > Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

> Well, it's cheap. Cheap-ish, anyway. I've got one, and hardly ever use
> it - but once or twice a year it comes in handy. On the whole, it's a
> waste of drawer space. Maybe I should sell you mine. :-)
>
> I'd like my 30+ year old K5A serviced; we took it partly apart and
> couldn't figure out how to get in for greasing the gears. I didn't
> think it would be that hard to do.
>
> Barring that, I think I'd like some better storage space in my kitchen.
> Not more, but better. I'm pretty full-up on bakeware, cookware, etc. A
> dedicated pantry would be awesome.

---

Frank Lynch

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:12:07 GMT, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, Blanche Nonken > wrote:

>Frank Lynch > wrote:
>
>> Is a mezzaluna worth asking for?

>Well, it's cheap. Cheap-ish, anyway. I've got one, and hardly ever use
>it - but once or twice a year it comes in handy. On the whole, it's a
>waste of drawer space. Maybe I should sell you mine. :-)

Ever seen a NYC kitchen?

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> I do Christmas Hampers for the family. Typically, each contains:
>
> Jar of home made mincemeat
> Jar of home made Rhumptoft
> Bottle of home made sloe gin
> 7" home made Chocolate Christmas Cake
> 7" home made Black Bun
> Home made Christmas pudding
> Home made Scots shortbread
> Home made stollen
>
> I fill up the boxes with jars of home made jam, marmalade and crab
> apple jelly. Sometimes I add local Kent honey and a bottle or two of
> our locaL (very alcoholic) cider. The same place (Pawley Farm) also
> does single variety apple juice, which is good. 12 bottle whisky or
> sherry cases make good boxes for this, and hold most of the goodies.
> They are not too big to wrap up with Christmas paper, for a really
> Christmassy look.
>
> Most of the recipes are on my web site - look in Kate's World for the
> Cooking section.

How does one get on your Christmas list? :-)

Drooling,

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
DawnK

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> "DawnK" > wrote:
>
> > Or possibly a clay pot for cooking in.
> > http://www.thewhitewhale.com/cook2.htm

> I cheated. I went to our local gardening store, bought a large
> non-holed unglazed clay pot, and a dish (one size up) to use as a lid.
> Holds a 3 to 5 pound chicken very nicely, and was only about $15 for the
> set!

Well, that's a thought!!

Dawn

Kate Dicey

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> How does one get on your Christmas list? :-)
>
> Drooling,
>
> Debbie

Marry my bachelor brother?

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

>Sheet pans definitely seem to be a thing of the professional kitchen.
>They are always available at kitchen supply stores - and pretty
>inexpensive too. Sometimes you see them at Costco. I was very surprised
>when the really heavy nonstick ones showed up one day at Kitchen Etc.
>The only other time I have seen them even mentioned in a consumer setting
>was when I was fondling a Bluestar range at an appliance showroom. There
>was some signage bragging that it could accomodate a full sheet pan.
>Cool.

Sam's Club (similar to Costco) has some great pro kitchen items to pick
from.

>A full sheet pan is rather large for everyday cooking at home. Half
>sheet pans are very useful (about the size of a cookie sheet) and quarter
>sheet pans may be even more so.

Full sized sheet pans are 18 x 26 inches and fit on professional racks.
Half sized are 18 x 13, natch.

I actually bought my half sized at Bed Bath and Beyond because they were
made with very thick metal and can take a beating.

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>> Well, Santa, a 20 quart Hobart mixer would do nicely.

>OK, that's something I didn't think of. I'd settle for the 16, but a 20
>would just rock!

20's go for about $1200 (used but in good shape) on EBay. New are too
expensive to even think about.
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> Debbie Deutsch wrote:
>
>> How does one get on your Christmas list? :-)
>>
>> Drooling,
>>
>> Debbie
>>

> Marry my bachelor brother?

ROFL!

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
Kate Dicey

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> > Marry my bachelor brother?
> >

> ROFL!

Well, he's 45 and reasonably civilized, owns his own house, and is
capable of cooking... And he DOES NOT take his washing or ironing home
to my mum when he goes for Sunday dinner every week!

Only trouble is, being me Bo, he's a bit mad, like me...

We ain't rich enough to be eccentric!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> Debbie Deutsch wrote:
>
>> > Marry my bachelor brother?
>> >

>> ROFL!

> Well, he's 45 and reasonably civilized, owns his own house, and is
> capable of cooking... And he DOES NOT take his washing or ironing home
> to my mum when he goes for Sunday dinner every week!
>
> Only trouble is, being me Bo, he's a bit mad, like me...
>
> We ain't rich enough to be eccentric!

Sheesh, I am 49, own my own home, and cook... and do my own laundry (and
everything else)... but it would be an *awfully* long distance romance!

Debbie

P.S. How does your brother feel about cats? :-)

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Frank Lynch
> wrote:

> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

Chanel No. 5 EDT; a cool book light from Restoration Hardware, gift card
for OfficeMax, credit at my nail salon.

(Restoration's $4.50 extending forks are a hit at family gatherings --
at last I can get food off my brother's plate from 3 feet away.)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Kate Dicey

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> Sheesh, I am 49, own my own home, and cook... and do my own laundry (and
> everything else)... but it would be an *awfully* long distance romance!
>
> Debbie
>
> P.S. How does your brother feel about cats? :-)

Doesn't have any of his own because of his work - gets sent off to Italy
and the like at the drop of a telephone exchange! Plays with my kitties
happily when he's here, and is a very good uncle too! Hm... Also, he
collects wine! BIIIIIIG wine fan! Goes to tastings in France at
times... Gives us lovely wine for Christmas. Nice bloke, my bro...
Always liked him, even as a kid! None of the real fighting that you get
with some kids!

Don't have any pix of him playing with the kitties on the web site, but
plenty pix of them! And some of the Christmas goodies, along with the
recipes!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Frank Lynch

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:38:48 -0600, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article >, Frank Lynch
> wrote:
>
>> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

>Chanel No. 5 EDT; a cool book light from Restoration Hardware, gift card
>for OfficeMax, credit at my nail salon.
>
>(Restoration's $4.50 extending forks are a hit at family gatherings --
>at last I can get food off my brother's plate from 3 feet away.)

Have you seen the booklights at levenger.com? They have one which is a
glass plate that goes over the page -- supposedly doesn't get hot.
(Wasn't sure if your 'cool' reference was to its temperature...)

Back on topic, I not only asked for the silcone mitts, but I'm going
to try and find some for giving, too.

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Debbie Deutsch

Frank Lynch > wrote in
:

> Back on topic, I not only asked for the silcone mitts, but I'm going
> to try and find some for giving, too.
>
> Frank Lynch
> The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
> http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Let me know what you and the people you give them to think!

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
Frank Lynch

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:06:13 -0600, in a clarity of expression

:

>> Back on topic, I not only asked for the silcone mitts, but I'm going
>> to try and find some for giving, too.

>Let me know what you and the people you give them to think!

Well, I can tell you that just this past week I was unhappy with the
heat transfer that came through some standard mitts within about 3045
seconds. And the idea that these can go in the dishwasher is also
appealing. As well as the bold colors -- our black mitts "go well"
with the kitchen, but can be tough to locate mid-cooking process
because they become camouflaged.

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Blanche Nonken

"John LaBella" > wrote:

> Blanche there is a wonderful note on Alt.bread.recipes about how to take
> apart your KA & service it ... Under the Dough Mixer thread ... author
> Barry.

Found it! Thank you *so* much and do thank Barry for me. I couldn't
find this info on the web anywhere a few months back.

Rose Kish

"Frank Lynch" > wrote in message
> What are people here saying when asked what they want for Christmas?

If you're still checking on recommendations, these *were* on my wish
list...I've already reached my cookware quota for the year.

Mandoline or Benriner
set of rubber spatulas (le Creuset), or several of the medium size in
yellow.
gift set from Penzeys (I like the Provence crate)
a copy of The Cook's Catalogue (big inventory of kitchen utensils... nice to
"have" a reference for further wish lists!)

On my pricey wish list but I'm waiting for that big ol' sale to happen:
Mauviel S/S Roasting Pan (large)
the new Viking Stand Mixer or KA Commercial NSF 5qt
Le Creuset Oval Oven (6.5 white)