N. Thornton

Default enamelled ovenware

Hi

I've acquired some black enamelled pressed steel ovenware, and it has
charred food remains on it. What are the dos and donts for cleaning
this type of finish?

Second, how do I find out if its dishwashable? I know its made by
Hygiena, though I've not seen anything quite like it in shops before.

I'm thinking of using lining paper to avoid struggling with cleaning
it in future.

Regards, NT
Kate Dicey

"N. Thornton" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've acquired some black enamelled pressed steel ovenware, and it has
> charred food remains on it. What are the dos and donts for cleaning
> this type of finish?
>
> Second, how do I find out if its dishwashable? I know its made by
> Hygiena, though I've not seen anything quite like it in shops before.
>
> I'm thinking of using lining paper to avoid struggling with cleaning
> it in future.
>
> Regards, NT

If it's prper stove enamel, oven cleaner will work on it. It will also
be dishwasherable.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
N. Thornton

Kate Dicey > wrote in message >...
> "N. Thornton" wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I've acquired some black enamelled pressed steel ovenware, and it has
> > charred food remains on it. What are the dos and donts for cleaning
> > this type of finish?

> If it's prper stove enamel, oven cleaner will work on it. It will also
> be dishwasherable.

Right. I dont know what the finish is, all I know is its black and
shiny and made for oven use. I dont want to risk marmalising it. Is
there a way I can tell if its stove enamel?

thanks, NT
Kate Dicey

"N. Thornton" wrote:

> Kate Dicey > wrote in message >...
> > "N. Thornton" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've acquired some black enamelled pressed steel ovenware, and it has
> > > charred food remains on it. What are the dos and donts for cleaning
> > > this type of finish?

> > If it's prper stove enamel, oven cleaner will work on it. It will also
> > be dishwasherable.

> Right. I dont know what the finish is, all I know is its black and
> shiny and made for oven use. I dont want to risk marmalising it. Is
> there a way I can tell if its stove enamel?
>
> thanks, NT

Stove enamel is the stuff they use to enamel stoves - so it's the shiny
sort you get on the insides of ovens, the outside of cookers, the
outsides of Agas, on old fashioned enamelled cookware. It's quite thick
and comes in lots of colours.

If what you have is a very light thin coating, it's probably just paint
and while heat proof will not be dishwasher proof.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> Stove enamel is the stuff they use to enamel stoves - so it's the
> shiny sort you get on the insides of ovens, the outside of cookers,
> the outsides of Agas, on old fashioned enamelled cookware. It's quite
> thick and comes in lots of colours.
>
> If what you have is a very light thin coating, it's probably just
> paint and while heat proof will not be dishwasher proof.

Good point. From the OP's description, it is hard to know the type or
quality of the cookware. (The brand is not familiar to me.) Good quality
enameled cookware can go into the dishwasher. However there is a lot of
low quality stuff that might rust or chip if you do that. No matter what,
the OP should be careful about abrasives that might scratch the enamel.
Perhaps a chemical approach might be best. Oven cleaner should do the
trick and be safe on enamel. The method would be to apply the oven
cleaner, put the cookware in a big plastic bag, and let the cleaner work
over night. In the AM wash it off and all should be well.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when

N. Thornton

Kate Dicey > wrote in message >...

> > > If it's prper stove enamel, oven cleaner will work on it. It will also
> > > be dishwasherable.

> > Right. I dont know what the finish is, all I know is its black and
> > shiny and made for oven use. I dont want to risk marmalising it. Is
> > there a way I can tell if its stove enamel?

> Stove enamel is the stuff they use to enamel stoves - so it's the shiny
> sort you get on the insides of ovens, the outside of cookers, the
> outsides of Agas, on old fashioned enamelled cookware. It's quite thick
> and comes in lots of colours.
>
> If what you have is a very light thin coating, it's probably just paint
> and while heat proof will not be dishwasher proof.

Thanks Kate, it sounds like its stove enamel then. Its a thick hard as
glass black shiny coating.

Thanks, NT
Kate Dicey

"N. Thornton" wrote:

> Kate Dicey > wrote in message >...

> > > Right. I dont know what the finish is, all I know is its black and
> > > shiny and made for oven use. I dont want to risk marmalising it. Is
> > > there a way I can tell if its stove enamel?

> > Stove enamel is the stuff they use to enamel stoves - so it's the shiny
> > sort you get on the insides of ovens, the outside of cookers, the
> > outsides of Agas, on old fashioned enamelled cookware. It's quite thick
> > and comes in lots of colours.
> >
> > If what you have is a very light thin coating, it's probably just paint
> > and while heat proof will not be dishwasher proof.

> Thanks Kate, it sounds like its stove enamel then. Its a thick hard as
> glass black shiny coating.
>
> Thanks, NT

Stove enamel, then! I plonk stove enamelled stuff in the dishwasher
a lot and it works a treat.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Need Glad Ovenware 8 x 8 Scott General Cooking 2 14-05-2005 11:23 PM
Glad Ovenware Scott General Cooking 1 07-05-2005 11:32 PM
enamelled beerglass BERLINER WEISSE (crystal!!!) Peter Beer 0 15-03-2005 06:31 PM