Default narrow cooktop options - verona, miele, gaggenau, delonghi

We are remodeling a small and awkwardly shaped kitchen. One of the
solutions we are looking at is using a European sized gas cooktop with
a 27 inch wall oven underneath. I've found five European cooktops that
I can get here; Verona, Miele, Gaggenau, DeLonghi, Kuppersbusch and
AEG. AEG is only available from a Canadian distributor, and I'm not
sure the actual product is different from Verona's, so I have
eliminated them. Gaggenau and Kuppersbusch are more than we want to
spend.

So, does anyone have any experience with the 24 inch cooktops from
Miele, Verona, or DeLonghi? We're also considering the discontinued 28
inch version from Verona.

I'm going to put in a separate post regarding refrigerators.

Thanks,

Scott

graham

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We are remodeling a small and awkwardly shaped kitchen. One of the
> solutions we are looking at is using a European sized gas cooktop with
> a 27 inch wall oven underneath. I've found five European cooktops that
> I can get here; Verona, Miele, Gaggenau, DeLonghi, Kuppersbusch and
> AEG. AEG is only available from a Canadian distributor, and I'm not
> sure the actual product is different from Verona's, so I have
> eliminated them. Gaggenau and Kuppersbusch are more than we want to
> spend.
>
> So, does anyone have any experience with the 24 inch cooktops from
> Miele, Verona, or DeLonghi? We're also considering the discontinued 28
> inch version from Verona.
>
> I'm going to put in a separate post regarding refrigerators.

Generally speaking, Miele products are superior to most. The only
difference between them and Gaggenau appears to be the price. I have a
Miele washer and dryer pair and they are superb. My Bosch oven and
dishwasher are another story.
Graham

Hmmm, we were planning on pairing whatever cooktop we get with a Bosch
oven - what have your issues been with it?

I'm not sure we have any options though; the American wall ovens are
much taller, not giving us any space for storage or a warming drawer
underneath. Of the Euro brands available here, only Bosch is in our
price range - Miele and Gaggenau start at about 2x the price.

graham

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hmmm, we were planning on pairing whatever cooktop we get with a Bosch
> oven - what have your issues been with it?
>
> I'm not sure we have any options though; the American wall ovens are
> much taller, not giving us any space for storage or a warming drawer
> underneath. Of the Euro brands available here, only Bosch is in our
> price range - Miele and Gaggenau start at about 2x the price.

Check with your dealer! Especially if they stock other high end brands. I
was talking to my dealer on Saturday, regarding a different appliance
purchase, and we discussed the merits of Bosch v Miele. He told me that
there had been a number of problems with the Bosch oven and some design
shortcomings (the position of the thermostat, for example). I have had some
trouble with my Bosch oven, which is mounted under the counter. The panel
cooling fan had to be replaced because it was excessively noisy.
Furthermore, the temp variations in the fan-assisted roasting mode are wild
(probably due to the thermostat position) and I haven't had it fixed as it
is off warranty:-( I therefore use the fan bake setting for everthing and
am happy with that. If the dealer backs it up, go ahead but it might be
worth getting an extended warranty. I saw the latest Miele and it is very
impressive but it would have to be wall mounted as it is significantly
bigger than the Bosch. I have Miele laundry set and am very happy with
that. The washer heats the water to 90C if you want it to and the dryer is
much more efficient than the department store varieties. My Bosch
dishwasher is not as quiet as advertised. The pump is quite noisy and you
know how much a service man charges just to walk through the door!!

Hope this ramble helps and doesn't confuse too much.
Graham

Howard C. Berkowitz

In article <NPC5f.245856$tl2.80853@pd7tw3no>, graham >
wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hmmm, we were planning on pairing whatever cooktop we get with a Bosch
> > oven - what have your issues been with it?
> >
> > I'm not sure we have any options though; the American wall ovens are
> > much taller, not giving us any space for storage or a warming drawer
> > underneath. Of the Euro brands available here, only Bosch is in our
> > price range - Miele and Gaggenau start at about 2x the price.
> >

> Check with your dealer! Especially if they stock other high end brands. I
> was talking to my dealer on Saturday, regarding a different appliance
> purchase, and we discussed the merits of Bosch v Miele. He told me that
> there had been a number of problems with the Bosch oven and some design
> shortcomings (the position of the thermostat, for example). I have had some
> trouble with my Bosch oven, which is mounted under the counter. The panel
> cooling fan had to be replaced because it was excessively noisy.
> Furthermore, the temp variations in the fan-assisted roasting mode are wild
> (probably due to the thermostat position) and I haven't had it fixed as it
> is off warranty:-( I therefore use the fan bake setting for everthing and
> am happy with that. If the dealer backs it up, go ahead but it might be
> worth getting an extended warranty. I saw the latest Miele and it is very
> impressive but it would have to be wall mounted as it is significantly
> bigger than the Bosch. I have Miele laundry set and am very happy with
> that. The washer heats the water to 90C if you want it to and the dryer is
> much more efficient than the department store varieties. My Bosch
> dishwasher is not as quiet as advertised. The pump is quite noisy and you
> know how much a service man charges just to walk through the door!!

While this is data several years old, I replaced my Kitchenaid
dishwasher with a Bosch from Sears. Eventually, Sears agreed it was a
lemon and replaced it with a Kenmore, probably made by Whirlpool. The
most recent washer performs decently, but not perfectly.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 04:51:30p, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote in
rec.food.equipment:

> In article <NPC5f.245856$tl2.80853@pd7tw3no>, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Hmmm, we were planning on pairing whatever cooktop we get with a
>> > Bosch oven - what have your issues been with it?
>> >
>> > I'm not sure we have any options though; the American wall ovens are
>> > much taller, not giving us any space for storage or a warming drawer
>> > underneath. Of the Euro brands available here, only Bosch is in our
>> > price range - Miele and Gaggenau start at about 2x the price.
>> >

>> Check with your dealer! Especially if they stock other high end brands.
>> I was talking to my dealer on Saturday, regarding a different
>> appliance purchase, and we discussed the merits of Bosch v Miele. He
>> told me that there had been a number of problems with the Bosch oven
>> and some design shortcomings (the position of the thermostat, for
>> example). I have had some trouble with my Bosch oven, which is mounted
>> under the counter. The panel cooling fan had to be replaced because it
>> was excessively noisy. Furthermore, the temp variations in the
>> fan-assisted roasting mode are wild (probably due to the thermostat
>> position) and I haven't had it fixed as it is off warranty:-( I
>> therefore use the fan bake setting for everthing and am happy with
>> that. If the dealer backs it up, go ahead but it might be worth
>> getting an extended warranty. I saw the latest Miele and it is very
>> impressive but it would have to be wall mounted as it is significantly
>> bigger than the Bosch. I have Miele laundry set and am very happy with
>> that. The washer heats the water to 90C if you want it to and the
>> dryer is much more efficient than the department store varieties. My
>> Bosch dishwasher is not as quiet as advertised. The pump is quite
>> noisy and you know how much a service man charges just to walk through
>> the door!!
>>

> While this is data several years old, I replaced my Kitchenaid
> dishwasher with a Bosch from Sears. Eventually, Sears agreed it was a
> lemon and replaced it with a Kenmore, probably made by Whirlpool. The
> most recent washer performs decently, but not perfectly.

I've never seen one yet that washes perfectly.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey